• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:35
CEST 00:35
KST 07:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8862 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 28

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 58 Next
htn2481
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Vietnam117 Posts
March 31 2012 14:31 GMT
#541
On March 31 2012 22:38 zalz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 31 2012 22:16 xrapture wrote:
Just finished Dance with Dragons (horrible imo) and heading to the bookstore later today with $100 gift certificate.

Any reccomendations?

My favorite authors are David Gemmel, Brandon Sanderson (Way of Kings), George R R Marin (first 3 books), and Dan Simmons.

I've heard a lot about the Black Company series. How is it?


I suppose if you like Brandon Sanderson, read the Mistborn series?

If you want to read something unique in fantasy-land, go read "The prince of nothing" series, starts with "The darkness that comes before." It is part of "The second apocalypse" series, which is currently 5 books into what is likely to be a 9 book series.


I second the Mistborn trilogy. My favorite fantasy author is David Gemmel as well. I really enjoyed the 'Mazalan Book of the Fallen' series by Steven Erikson. The first one was a bit overwhelming at first in scale but its very, very good. The series has already been finished so no worries that it'll drag into... oblivion. Overall, its got very memorable characters and incredibly grand in scale. Somehow its able to tie everything back together although everything seems fragmented at first.

My science fiction recommendations include Ender's Game (Ender's Shadow), Hyperion, and Dune.
Maxd11
Profile Joined July 2011
United States680 Posts
March 31 2012 14:33 GMT
#542
[image loading]
[image loading]
I looked in the mirror and saw biupilm69t
Makavillin
Profile Joined March 2011
113 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-31 15:13:52
March 31 2012 15:11 GMT
#543
On January 01 2012 16:51 udgnim wrote:
will start reading this soon because I need to build up some study lead in order to adequately manage my upcoming semester schedule along with 2 part time jobs

[image loading]


Ughh. I'm in no way a server admin, but do deal with it quite often at work. Gives me so many headaches. Wrong forum but had to vent lol. Server 2008 that is.
Makavillin
Profile Joined March 2011
113 Posts
March 31 2012 15:14 GMT
#544
[image loading]
Bleak
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Turkey3059 Posts
March 31 2012 15:21 GMT
#545
Currently reading the The New Jedi Order series of Star Wars Expanded Universe. I'm currently at the book Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand. Ever since Edge of Victory I: Conquest it's been hell of a ride so far, and yet still there is something like 6 more books to read. I'm very much in love with the series, can't wait to see how it will all finish.

Probably the only boring book so far was the Edge of Victory II: Rebirth.
"I am a beacon of knowledge blazing out across a black sea of ignorance. "
trwkling
Profile Joined September 2011
658 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-31 16:41:44
March 31 2012 16:40 GMT
#546
On March 20 2012 13:11 miercat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2012 06:23 trwkling wrote:
If you guys are interested with fiction with a sort of Chinese twist, read Ha Jin's Waiting, or A Free Life. Pretty amazing reads IMO.


What do you mean by - Chinese twist?


basically its a novel by a Chinese author who had "escaped" China to live and work in the States. Thats the sort of thing he wrote about in A free life, but Waiting IMO is the better one of the two (I have only read these two ahah) and it talks about a bit quite life under communism rule in China in the 60s-80s... I'm not extremely good at summarising stuff its a light read so if anyone has time would defo recommend

edit: another book i really enjoyed was

[image loading]

Jeff Abbott definitely one of my fav authors. His stories are in a way repetitive but I thoroughly enjoyed his books
RatedOG
Profile Joined February 2011
United States12 Posts
March 31 2012 17:31 GMT
#547
Just started this book.

[image loading]
i think i want BRAAAAAIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNSSSSSSSSS!
Fiercegore
Profile Joined July 2010
United States294 Posts
March 31 2012 23:57 GMT
#548
So I'm totally not a Nazi, but what is the best English translation of Mein Kampf? I want to read it just out of morbid curiosity and I'm tired of taking in information about Hitler from third party sources, I just want to read something he wrote and think about his ideologies.

Anyone know the best version? From what I've gotten so far the Michael Ford and James Murphy versions are good? But I'm not exactly sure.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/506893/1/Fiercegore/
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-02 20:28:29
April 02 2012 20:27 GMT
#549
[image loading]

"Eyeless and screaming, the regiments of the dead shiver their burned bones together at the sound of your tread. Foul vapour clots the sun. Oh machine! Oh divine engine! Photo-bright the discharge of your weapons, shattering the fragile vault of the sky and smiting the dirt of the ground to dust. The princeps, adrift in liquid data, a beautiful monster, feels the glory of your great walk as surely as if he had been precision-made in the forge as one of your component cogs. Oh metal god! The union is entire, closer than kin or family, closer than brothers, closer than blood. A pact of divine metal, no start of one, no end of another, but both admixed, like an alloy. To be part of a god! To share that majesty and that strength! Oh lucky man!
Do you ever really sleep? In the long betweentimes, in the silences wasted in oily holds and scaffold frames, do you sleep then? When the enginseers reduce you to dormancy, is that sleep for you? Do you dream then, great engine?
What do you dream about?
What secrets do you keep?"

Titanicus by Dan Abnett

Even if you're not into WH40K it's still one of the best sci-fi novels I've ever read (and I read a lot).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
cscarfo1
Profile Joined March 2011
United States307 Posts
April 02 2012 20:30 GMT
#550
I currently read The Hunger Games. One of the most catching and addicting books I ever read. I was so hooked in I read the whole thing in one day, from 10am to 2am the following early morning. It was an amazing book, and I am going out soon to purchase the next two in the series, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. I think everyone should read it, and no matter what genre you like, you will love this book
RIP oGs :( Bisu~ MC~Jaedong~Hero~Tyler~Flash~NaNi~DRG~MVP~Nestea~FXOz~and of course ForGG
TheLaw
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States172 Posts
April 03 2012 03:08 GMT
#551
One of the best books on Law i have read

[image loading]



Best book series ever imo

[image loading]



[image loading]


Cowards die in shame.
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
April 03 2012 19:50 GMT
#552
"The Judging Eye"

Fourth book in the grand "Second Apocalypse" series, first book of the "Aspect Emperor" trilogy.


[image loading]

After "The warrior prophet," this might be my favorite in the series.


I have said it for a while now, but Scott Bakker is doing unique and inovative things in a genre (Fantasy) known for its cliches.

I will soon dig into "The White-luck warrior" and I can't wait, most people promise it is better than "The Judging Eye."


After two very weak books by GRRM, this is easily my favorite Fantasy series. For those of you who want to get started on this epic series, the first book is called "The Darkness that comes before."
xOGenesis
Profile Joined September 2011
47 Posts
April 03 2012 20:02 GMT
#553
On April 03 2012 05:30 cscarfo1 wrote:
I currently read The Hunger Games. One of the most catching and addicting books I ever read. I was so hooked in I read the whole thing in one day, from 10am to 2am the following early morning. It was an amazing book, and I am going out soon to purchase the next two in the series, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. I think everyone should read it, and no matter what genre you like, you will love this book


Hunger games hands down. Especially with the movie out now. I think all ages would enjoy it
se7en247
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States487 Posts
April 03 2012 22:14 GMT
#554
Just read:
[image loading]
This whole series was awesome. Loved it.

Currently reading:
[image loading]
First one was great. So far this one is great too.

On April 04 2012 05:02 InfExodus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 03 2012 05:30 cscarfo1 wrote:
I currently read The Hunger Games. One of the most catching and addicting books I ever read. I was so hooked in I read the whole thing in one day, from 10am to 2am the following early morning. It was an amazing book, and I am going out soon to purchase the next two in the series, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. I think everyone should read it, and no matter what genre you like, you will love this book


Hunger games hands down. Especially with the movie out now. I think all ages would enjoy it


Read Battle Royal first then read The Hunger Games.
I didn't come to play..I came to win. Now lets play.
Brotatoes23
Profile Joined September 2011
United States67 Posts
April 03 2012 22:17 GMT
#555
Finished: A Story Waiting to Pierce You, in a day

Now reading the Bhagavad Gita...

Always reading: Secret Teaching of All Ages, by Manly P. Hall. (Look it up, it's rad, the title sums it up.)
Humans - Knee deep in a river, still searching for water.
meatbox
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia349 Posts
April 03 2012 22:18 GMT
#556
I've heard American Psycho is intense. Currently looking for a book to read, not a fan of high fantasy, Harry Potter really bored me, gave up on the Goblet of Fire, that 100 page dinner conversation at the Weasley's was unbearable!

The last book I've read was the da vinci code about a year ago
www.footballanarcy.com/forum
Atlas247
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada318 Posts
April 03 2012 22:27 GMT
#557
[image loading]

I will be Reading Cold Days (Dresden Files) when it comes out.
Windex Banana Lampshade
Enki
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2548 Posts
April 03 2012 22:41 GMT
#558
Last Read:
[image loading]
The Art of Learning - Really good. If you ever want to be competitive in anything, including SC2, this is a good place to start.

Reading Now:
[image loading]
Ultimate History of Video Games - Interesting stuff. So far, it has covered the beginning of the video game industry from when coin-op games in arcades were king and now I am getting into the explosion of popularity of the home consoles. Can't wait to read more of it

Reading Next:
[image loading]
A Storm of Swords - Continuing the series.
"Practice, practice, practice. And when you're not practicing you should be practicing. It's the only way to get better. The only way." I run the Smix Fanclub!
Achilles306
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada84 Posts
April 03 2012 22:46 GMT
#559
If you like Fantasy books, last 3 books I read:
The Warden Man
[image loading]

The Name of The Wind
[image loading]

The Wise Man's Fear
[image loading]
1337n00b
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada43 Posts
April 03 2012 23:14 GMT
#560
Recently read:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

and
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


I very much enjoyed Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, and this is basically a continuation of it. Since reading Brandon Sanderson's books, he's honestly become my favorite author. I also found Brent Weeks' The Night Angel trilogy to be similarly interesting to Mistborn. He's got a second series coming out, which I have yet to read.
Both of these authors write fantasy.

Planning to read:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

and
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Fell's prequel The Sight by David Clement-Davies also was horribly sad, and to me was extremely worth reading. I'm going to read The Hunger Games if I eventually have the time for it. From what I've heard it's quite enjoyable.
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O164
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 514
ZZZero.O 164
Hyun 91
Dota 2
monkeys_forever302
League of Legends
Doublelift3734
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4531
Liquid`Hasu492
Other Games
summit1g12903
FrodaN1622
JimRising 332
KnowMe229
Livibee199
ViBE75
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick731
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 123
• Adnapsc2 38
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra772
Other Games
• imaqtpie1045
• Shiphtur559
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 25m
Patches Events
16h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 25m
OSC
1d
OSC
1d 13h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.