• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:43
CEST 18:43
KST 01:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War545.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch)
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9869 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 27

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 58 Next
SafeAsCheese
Profile Joined June 2011
United States4924 Posts
March 20 2012 04:54 GMT
#521
On March 20 2012 06:39 4rChon wrote:
Not long ago I started reading the Wheel of Time series. A friend of mine recommended it to me and he let me burrow the first book: The Eye of the World.

I have only read up to around page 200 something from over 800 pages but I have to say that Jordan is an incredible author. The text really draws you into the story and you actually care for the characters. Looking forward to the other books.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Be careful around the middle of the series, if you continue.

Around books 8-10, jordan really starts to drag stuff out to keep the series going. There are some interesting parts, but it can burn you out.

Book 10, many people recommend skipping and just reading chapter summaries, very little actual story happens.. its like anime filler in book form.

After 10, it picks up, and at 11 or 12 is when Jordan died and Sanderson took over the series. The amazon reviews of books after 10 are all very good, and i see very few complaints.

So yeah, wheel of time is 11,004 pages and 4 million words. If you get into it, don't burn yourself out, just take a break. It's worth it, an amazing series.
HerroPreaseTN
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Norway71 Posts
March 20 2012 06:49 GMT
#522
Just read book 11 of Wheel of time, I'm reading book 12 now and after that I'll read book 13. May read a book on Mental Training written by top level athletes/psychologists while waiting for book 14 of Wheel of Time.

For the record, I would NOT skip any of the WoT-books in any regard.
Mordanis
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States893 Posts
March 20 2012 06:56 GMT
#523
On March 20 2012 15:49 HerroPreaseTN wrote:
Just read book 11 of Wheel of time, I'm reading book 12 now and after that I'll read book 13. May read a book on Mental Training written by top level athletes/psychologists while waiting for book 14 of Wheel of Time.

For the record, I would NOT skip any of the WoT-books in any regard.

I'm so annoyed at how long that series is taking to finish up -.- Just because the author died doesn't mean they can dawdle. (JKJKJKJKJKJK)

Anyways, I haven't had much time to read lately with 25ish hours of work and a full load of college classes, but I'm slowly making my way through LOTR. It is not an easy series to read at roughly a page a day :C
I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... victory. -_^ Favorite SC2 match ->Liquid`HerO vs. SlayerS CranK g.1 @MLG Summer Championship
p4NDemik
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States13896 Posts
March 21 2012 01:55 GMT
#524
[image loading]

I haven't even gotten into the parts of the books that deal with the Rwandan genocide, but his stories pertaining to the October Crisis in Canada and the Anglo/francophone divide in Canada were really interesting and made me want to read more into those subjects. If that's any indication I'm pretty sure the rest of the book will be compelling.
Moderator
nubs
Profile Joined September 2010
United States13 Posts
March 26 2012 14:47 GMT
#525
Just finished:
+ Show Spoiler [Glasshouse by Charles Stross] +
[image loading]

Anyone who enjoys modern sci-fi that hasn't read something by Charles Stross should go pick up one of his books. This wasn't my favorite of his (Accelerando is better), but it was still an excellent book. A very interesting take on some of the identity issues that futuristic tech like transportation, fabrication, and memory/mind uploading/modification. An example of such an issue is the treatment of Identify Theft as a worse crime than Murder. Great book by a great author.

Reading now:
+ Show Spoiler [Saturn's Children by Charles Str…] +
[image loading]

Last book by Stross that I haven't read. Sounds very similar to Friday which is one of my favorite Heinlein books, so I am expecting to enjoy this one.

Next:
+ Show Spoiler [The WWW Trilogy by Robert J. Sawyer] +
[image loading]

I've had this trilogy sitting around for a while, and now that it's all done being written, I suppose it's time to read it!
DawN883
Profile Joined November 2011
Sweden558 Posts
March 26 2012 15:16 GMT
#526
[image loading]
All the recent hype with the movie made me pick up the book
If the dead are not raised, Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die
nohbrows
Profile Joined February 2011
United States653 Posts
March 28 2012 07:13 GMT
#527
[image loading]
It was amazing.

Going to read:
[image loading]
Read it when I was in Middle school. Going to see if I can have a different perspective now that I am older.
Seizon Senryaku!
unlmtd
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany76 Posts
March 28 2012 08:57 GMT
#528
Currently reading:
[image loading]

I'm going to pick up the Sequels, because it's a very good read.
Try again. Fail again. Fail Better. | viOlet fighting :)
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
March 28 2012 08:58 GMT
#529
Richard Dawkins - Evolution: Greatest Show on Earth
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-28 09:09:27
March 28 2012 09:04 GMT
#530
James Joyce - Ulysses. One of the hardest books I've ever read.

[image loading]
Kare
Profile Joined March 2009
Norway786 Posts
March 28 2012 09:15 GMT
#531
LOTR
In life you can obtain all sorts of material wealth, but the real treasure is the epic feelings you get while doing something you love.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
March 31 2012 07:00 GMT
#532
[image loading]

Robert K. Massie is amazing I just wish he would cover Alexander II.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Taekwon
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8155 Posts
March 31 2012 07:00 GMT
#533
Atlas Shrugged!

Leggo!
▲ ▲ ▲
soldierofdarkness
Profile Joined March 2012
United States2 Posts
March 31 2012 07:10 GMT
#534
I have read part of 1984, George Orwell, but I haven't gotten to finishing it
I don't always play Starcraft, but when I do I prefer Terran.
Ethenielle
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
Norway1006 Posts
March 31 2012 09:45 GMT
#535
[image loading]
Very saddening. It's beyond a shadow of a doubt an extremely good book, but I did not feel very good after finishing it.

[image loading]
Also extremely saddening from start to finish, but with humor and some of the best character descriptions/development I've seen. Highly recommended.

[image loading]
Very interesting psychological description of a man with whom I think most people can identify. Liked it a lot!

[image loading]
The story of a farmer and how he starts from nothing. Again very interesting characters, and a great story.

Got some nice tips from this thread. Thanks!
Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Aelip
Profile Joined November 2010
Denmark321 Posts
March 31 2012 12:16 GMT
#536
On March 28 2012 18:04 Roe wrote:
James Joyce - Ulysses. One of the hardest books I've ever read.

[image loading]


Imo, read it lightly first time around don't think too much about it. Then in a while read it again but this time write notes on some of the "big" things that happen. It may be a little hard to keep track of, but boy is it a rewarding book.

Currently reading the collected works of R.L Stephenson. (Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde)
Teodice
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden641 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-31 12:26:40
March 31 2012 12:26 GMT
#537
[image loading]

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A Heinlein.

Amazing and well written book who offers alot more then just the good old sci.fi fight the aliens type of scenario!
You will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not
mememolly
Profile Joined December 2011
4765 Posts
March 31 2012 13:09 GMT
#538
recently read

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

reading

[image loading]

xrapture
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1644 Posts
March 31 2012 13:16 GMT
#539
Just finished Dance with Dragons (horrible imo) and heading to the bookstore later today with $100 gift certificate.

Any reccomendations?

My favorite authors are David Gemmel, Brandon Sanderson (Way of Kings), George R R Marin (first 3 books), and Dan Simmons.

I've heard a lot about the Black Company series. How is it?
Everyone is either delusional, a nihlilst, or dead from suicide.
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
March 31 2012 13:38 GMT
#540
On March 31 2012 22:16 xrapture wrote:
Just finished Dance with Dragons (horrible imo) and heading to the bookstore later today with $100 gift certificate.

Any reccomendations?

My favorite authors are David Gemmel, Brandon Sanderson (Way of Kings), George R R Marin (first 3 books), and Dan Simmons.

I've heard a lot about the Black Company series. How is it?


I suppose if you like Brandon Sanderson, read the Mistborn series?

If you want to read something unique in fantasy-land, go read "The prince of nothing" series, starts with "The darkness that comes before." It is part of "The second apocalypse" series, which is currently 5 books into what is likely to be a 9 book series.
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech142
Liquid`TLO 92
BRAT_OK 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26964
Leta 1083
Horang2 267
firebathero 173
Trap 151
Zeus 95
Hyun 69
soO 56
ToSsGirL 36
Bale 32
[ Show more ]
Rock 26
Aegong 24
scan(afreeca) 21
Bishop 16
Noble 11
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Dendi1206
420jenkins384
qojqva31
Counter-Strike
fl0m4700
Other Games
Beastyqt641
mouzStarbuck366
byalli267
KnowMe214
Hui .177
Livibee82
QueenE74
FrodaN13
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 64
• 3DClanTV 38
• Adnapsc2 16
• Response 13
• Hinosc 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach86
• Azhi_Dahaki14
• Michael_bg 11
• FirePhoenix10
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1670
Other Games
• Shiphtur574
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
18m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 18m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 18m
Patches Events
22h 18m
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
OSC
1d 6h
OSC
1d 19h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.