• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:18
CEST 12:18
KST 19:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11978 users

An open letter to djWheat and the Liveon3 folks - Page 12

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 24 Next All
Rokk
Profile Joined March 2010
United States425 Posts
November 08 2010 18:40 GMT
#221
So let me get this straight: you listened to over two hours of a livestream taking place at a party among friends and you're shocked and appalled that someone made a blowjob joke? Seriously?

This was not an official podcast. This was a guy turning a camera on so the fans could enjoy part of an afterparty. If you don't understand how the tone will differ between those two then you have more important things to worry about.
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
November 08 2010 18:41 GMT
#222
On November 09 2010 03:27 Brutus wrote:
They had a party, BUT AT WHAT COST?

I really like this comment, haha. It's simple and makes me laugh every time I read it.
Moderator
NikonTC
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom418 Posts
November 08 2010 18:41 GMT
#223
Honestly, if the OP's post represents the majority of opinion in any way, then I'm not sure I even want Starcraft2 to become a mainstream sport.

People are... obsessed with getting the game out there and onto television. To the point where posts like this crop up, rebuking members of the SC2 community for HAVING A PARTY. Where is your foresight? You must know the biggest barrier right now to e-sports being widely accepted is still the whole "nerd" image.. and anything that breaks down that image, say, a podcast showing prominent members of the community realxing and having a good time after a tournament in the same way anyone else would is actually going to help things if anything.

And consider this for a moment. Say tomorrow a huge TV station approached blizzard and asked for tv rights to cover SC2 tournaments. The only catch is that they'd seen a podcast of some caster drunk, and felt that it was unproffesional, therefore they were going to find their own commentators, guys in suits in their 40's similar to every other sports cast out there, guys who'd never played the game, but had never been drunk on a camera before.

Would you watch it? I wouldn't.
"IdrA crushes the marine push, absolutely demolishes this 2 rax play. Would not be suprised to see a GG from IdrA at any moment" Day[9]
SC2Syndicate
Profile Joined September 2010
United States134 Posts
November 08 2010 18:43 GMT
#224
Fail poster is fail...... Their party their time

User was temp banned for this post.
Ask a reaper nicely to leave your base, you will be surprised how respectful they are
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-08 18:44:13
November 08 2010 18:43 GMT
#225
On November 09 2010 03:29 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2010 03:22 MagnusHyperion wrote:
I think that anyone who disagrees with the OP is actually not understanding the point. The point is not that they shouldn't drink, relax, and kick back but that they shouldn't BROADCAST it. No one is saying they shouldn't have a good time but the real question becomes one of image for the scene.

I understand the OP's point clearly and I disagree with it. You are arguing that the broadcast of this party will have a negative effect on the "success of ESports (which by the way, is such a crutch for a bad argument; People demand others do things "for the good of ESports" without even consdering what that means or how we achieve it or what the benefits will be)".

I am saying that the benefits I will receive, several years later, through the "success as ESports", are far, far, FAR less than the happiness I received yesterday by watching these guys on stream.


People also don't realize that "eSports" will never grow if it isn't fun. Sports doesn't stay alive because of the top. It stays alive because of every level of play. Why would people want to be apart of some super serious 24/7 thing?
gundream
Profile Joined April 2010
United States229 Posts
November 08 2010 18:44 GMT
#226
i'm sorry but i have to say that this isn't PBS and we aren't watching mr. rogers or sesame street. when you found out about this sudden stream i'm sure you also found out it was happening at a party...need i say more.
Slow Motion
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6960 Posts
November 08 2010 18:45 GMT
#227
Have you guys followed any other "real" sports? Name one successful sport that doesn't have unprofessional behavior going on all the time? And it's not just the players. Ever heard of an organization called the UFC? Joe Rogan gets baked and acts unprofessionally every chance he gets. Dana White isn't exactly the model of professionalism himself. Yet MMA is growing in popularity at a crazy rate.

The success of SC2 will depend on how the game will hold up, and how entertaining it is to watch for people. It will depend on how good the infrastructure is (bnet 2.0 lol). If you provide good games and good casting on the air, what you do outside the tournament isn't gonna make people less interested in watching the games or recommending them to friends. If the games are bad, full of technical issues, and have horrible casting, then no amount of politeness or professionalism outside the tourney will save it.

I will go as far as to say the success of esports doesn't depend AT ALL on the behavior of those involved when outside the event. As long as they remain professional during the broadcast, then the games (which is pretty much all casual fans will care about, and most of what hardcore fans care about) will be enjoyable.
-Frog-
Profile Joined February 2009
United States514 Posts
November 08 2010 18:46 GMT
#228
I absolutely disagree with the OP. If anything I think the streaming of the afterparty was beneficial to E-sports.

Getting to know your favorite player while they are in a relaxed environment humanizes them and makes you want to root for them even more when they are playing. A person becomes more than just an ID and their gameplay when you get to see what they're like in a non-serious atmosphere.

The interviews at the afterparty were unique because they were candid (at least to a degree). Contrast that to the post-game interviews which are always brief and highly "professional" and I think you'll agree that they give the players more character and personality.
powered by coffee, driven by hate.
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
November 08 2010 18:47 GMT
#229
I watched the after party for about 5 minutes. Then I realized I was watching a stream of people drinking in a hotel room and it made me feel worthless inside and I stopped watching it and did the other thing people use the internet for. I like to try to make the best use out of my time as possible.
BWILLdur
Profile Joined October 2010
United States100 Posts
November 08 2010 18:48 GMT
#230
I love the relaxed atmosphere esports exists in. There is time for being professional when they are on stage and in games representing their sponsors. Once they are out of their matches and done with the interviews they are just normal people, let them relax and do what they want. I absolutely loved just seeing the atmosphere and hearing from players we never hear from. It was a special ticket backstage and I hope we get the chance to view another. Getting players thoughts on the tournament after it is completely is awesome. I would have been happy with a SOTG from Dallas instead, but this works fine.
Polygamy
Profile Joined January 2010
Austria1114 Posts
November 08 2010 18:49 GMT
#231
Mom is that you?
IPA
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3206 Posts
November 08 2010 18:51 GMT
#232
On November 09 2010 03:16 Chill wrote:
I love the demands. Do you think John Madden avoids dropping BJ jokes on a livestream because of his professional reputation, contractual obligations, or for the good of football?

Okay, now let's see which of those are analogous to DJWheat's situation... hmm...


Hm, I wasn't demanding anything. I said I "wanted" a couple of things -- it's just my opinion. I think John Madden avoids dropping BJ jokes for all three of the reasons you mentioned, among a host of others (like...that's not his humor). Not sure what your point there was..?

I just think picking and choosing streams would be wise in the future. Not trying to start a fight here -- this is simply my opinion. I love SC2 and I want to see it thrive as a legitimate business and professional vehicle.

Cheers.
Time held me green and dying though I sang in my chains like the sea.
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
November 08 2010 18:55 GMT
#233
On November 09 2010 03:51 IPA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2010 03:16 Chill wrote:
I love the demands. Do you think John Madden avoids dropping BJ jokes on a livestream because of his professional reputation, contractual obligations, or for the good of football?

Okay, now let's see which of those are analogous to DJWheat's situation... hmm...


Hm, I wasn't demanding anything. I said I "wanted" a couple of things -- it's just my opinion. I think John Madden avoids dropping BJ jokes for all three of the reasons you mentioned, among a host of others (like...that's not his humor). Not sure what your point there was..?

I just think picking and choosing streams would be wise in the future. Not trying to start a fight here -- this is simply my opinion. I love SC2 and I want to see it thrive as a legitimate business and professional vehicle.

Cheers.

My point is that you said they shouldn't do it to further the success of ESports. And then your next point was about John Madden never doing that. The implication was John Madden doesn't do that because he wants to preserve the reputation of football.

My assumption is that John Madden doesn't do it:
- 90% to protect his reputation as a broadcaster
- 9.9% contractual obligations
- 0.1% to preserve the reputation of football.

This makes the comparison between John Madden and DJWheat a bad one.
Moderator
Bear4188
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1797 Posts
November 08 2010 18:56 GMT
#234
Where do these fucking people come from? How is it that you can someone can watch an amateur stream of an afterparty and react by saying "Excuse me, sir, could you please keep it down, I actually wanted to watch the cat in a box. Thank you."

Jesus H. Christ.

It's not sponsored sponsored by the guy who's throwing the party, not under close scrutiny by a watchdog group of 59 year old women, and not compulsory to watch. I simply cannot fathom how someone has the audacity to complain about something like this.
"I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something." - R. Feynman
Anselm
Profile Joined October 2009
United States45 Posts
November 08 2010 18:57 GMT
#235
On November 09 2010 03:29 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2010 03:22 MagnusHyperion wrote:
I think that anyone who disagrees with the OP is actually not understanding the point. The point is not that they shouldn't drink, relax, and kick back but that they shouldn't BROADCAST it. No one is saying they shouldn't have a good time but the real question becomes one of image for the scene.

I understand the OP's point clearly and I disagree with it. You are arguing that the broadcast of this party will have a negative effect on the "success of ESports (which by the way, is such a crutch for a bad argument; People demand others do things "for the good of ESports" without even consdering what that means or how we achieve it or what the benefits will be)".

I am saying that the benefits I will receive, several years later, through the "success as ESports", are far, far, FAR less than the happiness I received yesterday by watching these guys on stream.



I completely and totally agree. My point in bringing this up is not to point out that the environment was a negative experience or that it wasn't worth the 3-4 hours that I watched it. I am not even saying that I was personally offended by his comments.

I am, however, pointing out the last two minutes as the starting point of the negative combination of alcohol and web-cams. There is a point when people stop caring about what gets put out there. I am saying the they skirted that line last night and that the awesomeness of streaming from a casual environment where everyone is obviously having a great time relaxing can over shadow those negative effects. As I said earlier, I think the cameras got turned off just in time. Should they have kept going or people had not been sober enough to realize that they were still streaming, things may have been much, much worse. I posted as a caution not as someone who thought it was a terrible idea. I think its a great idea and I am grateful that Wheat had the presence of mind to know when enough was enough.
retro-noob
Profile Joined June 2010
110 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-08 19:02:36
November 08 2010 18:59 GMT
#236
I don't fully agree with the OP, but he gave some constructive criticism along with a lot of complements. He was polite too.

Again, I think he's wrong here, but I think he might not be that far off concerning the future of esports not too far down the road.

A few of those guys are really interested in seeing esports become more mainstream, and almost all of those guys are interested in it becoming more lucrative. Those two things happen through ad money and sponsorships.

Chill -- to answer your earlier question about why Madden doesn't say stuff like that on the air, it's a contractual obligation and reputation issue. Where do those pressures come from though? Because companies are wary of what they associate with, and companies associating with football is good for football. Football is a corporation, so they split that stuff into layers, but at the top, there's a leader who gets the need for discretion.

Nothing bad happened last night (at least not that I saw), and it's good that they refused to show the party directly. That was savvy on Wheat's part. In general, Wheat is really solid with that kind of decision-making. He gets it.

As esports grows, it will be more and more important to bake in some discretion, buffers, etiquette or media-training to minimize the risk of someone accidentally doing something that spooks a source of money.

That doesn't mean you have to whitewash everyone completely. In every sport there are guys that are total characters or even border-line problems who manage to stay within the bounds 99% of the time. McEnroe, Chad Johnson, Muhammad Ali, Shaq, etc..

It's just a balance between -- where's our money coming from, what are they sensitive to, how much can we trust our players, and what precautions do we need to take?

I watched every bit of the cast last night and loved it. Again, I saw nothing wrong, and even if something bad had happened, the scene is too small right now for it to matter unless it was something sensational and/or flagrant. It's not a bad thing to be aware of though as the money and attention grow.
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
November 08 2010 18:59 GMT
#237
Wait you were offended by Slasher saying blowjob but nothing iNcontroL may have said at any point offended you?

Interesting....
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
Brad
Profile Joined April 2010
2754 Posts
November 08 2010 19:00 GMT
#238
Who cares.

User was temp banned for this post.
Lee Jae Dong proved that a focus on mechanics and execution could solve problems in the StarCraft game strategy.
Protoss_Carrier
Profile Joined September 2010
414 Posts
November 08 2010 19:02 GMT
#239
On November 09 2010 03:26 Schamus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2010 03:20 FabledIntegral wrote:
God what's with all the negativity towards frats in here. Is there anyone else here affiliated? It's not all like animal house you know. Fraternities/Sororities are generally the biggest contributers towards charities on campus. Last year the Greek system on my campus raised at least ~$150,000 for various charities... blah.


Yeah, I'm a vice president of Alpha Sigma Phi at my campus (AT Chapter) and quite frankly i have just given up fighting off that war. It's useless, I can convince someone that not all fraternities are like that then 5 seconds later the word "frat" is being thrown around in reference to crazy drunken glory.


Hey! I am an alumni of alpha sig and I went to UC Berkeley, good to see fellow alpha sig members play SC.
Carrier has arrived.
Raskit
Profile Joined July 2009
579 Posts
November 08 2010 19:02 GMT
#240
*tells OP he is wrong like everybody else just in-case he didn't get it first time*
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings21
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech82
StarCraft: Brood War
Mind 1138
Bisu 916
Hyuk 841
Larva 628
Leta 168
Sexy 135
Zeus 117
EffOrt 112
PianO 94
Soma 94
[ Show more ]
Mini 93
Pusan 65
ZerO 43
Killer 41
Last 38
ToSsGirL 35
sorry 32
Bale 26
Hm[arnc] 23
Trap 20
yabsab 18
JulyZerg 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
XcaliburYe434
XaKoH 312
League of Legends
JimRising 320
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1341
Other Games
gofns31922
singsing1660
crisheroes214
OGKoka 197
Mew2King138
ArmadaUGS58
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick574
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream189
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 55
• LUISG 18
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7079
• lizZardDota2267
League of Legends
• Jankos1333
• Stunt909
Upcoming Events
Online Event
42m
FEL
5h 42m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 42m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 42m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 42m
INu's Battles
1d 1h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Rush vs Light
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.