• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:39
CEST 14:39
KST 21:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8423 users

Why I dont care about the beta anymore. - Page 3

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
billyX333
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1360 Posts
May 19 2010 10:51 GMT
#41
I've been on Bnet since 1998 and there is not a single thing I'd change about it
I would even keep it uncensored w/o mods/GMs
let private channels moderate themselves and just remove pub channels if bots are such an issue

teapot
Profile Joined October 2007
United Kingdom266 Posts
May 19 2010 10:57 GMT
#42
I'm not sure I will buy SC2 unless there are chat channels or something that fulfills that role.

I'm slightly suspicious that they might not add the irc chatrooms we are hoping for.

Why? 10 years ago irc was a popular way to chat. It probably made sense to make the first battle.net around this framework. Now Blizzard are trying to build the game around modern social networking e.g. MSN and Facebook. Most people do not use IRC to chat to their friends. IRC just isn't perceived as relevant anymore. It is like archaic internet.

Unfortunately it is still very relevant in gaming, IMO. Because IRC style chat is very useful for brining like-minded people together and for all the other reasons cited in the OP of this thread. It works in a way that the MSN/Facebook method cannot provision for.

But has the think tank at Blizzard HQ figures this out yet? You can see why we should be concerned.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
May 19 2010 10:58 GMT
#43
On May 19 2010 19:04 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2010 19:01 KwarK wrote:
Chat channels are great but I can't believe you can't find anyone to talk to while playing sc2. I mean you're posting on a forum filled with people playing sc2. How is it that you can't see a solution to your problem of not knowing anyone who plays sc2? There must be some way of contacting other people who share your interest.

Show nested quote +
even though i have friends in the beta i barely have any interest playing it, there is nothing to make me want to go online, nowhere to idle and just chat about w/e or meet new people.

Furthermore, I've known Tabyling for a long time now (05 i think?). We met on bnet and are good friends. The sheer amount of time we spent repping/chatcrafting in random channels etc far out weighs the time we actually spent gaming. Perhaps we're just not much of the gaming type, but the social aspects of SC1 are desperately lacking in SC2.

To date, my only fond memory of SC2 is gaming with Manifesto otherwise I've been mostly bored out of my skull. A few interesting questions to ask yourself are
- How many games of SC2 can I recall vividly? (compare w/ SC1)
- How many memories have I made during SC2? (compare w/ SC1 and specifically, where those memories occurred).

Try 2v2ing with skype. It's great fun. I spend more time 2v2ing than 1v1ing at the moment. Laddering 1v1 is pretty dull but with an active vent full of guys you've known forever it's not so bad.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Darpinion
Profile Joined January 2010
United States210 Posts
May 19 2010 11:02 GMT
#44
They (Blizzard) has already officially stated that they are going to have chat rooms after retail release. I don't believe that not having a room to chat in is a reason to give up playing a game. It's Starcraft not Chatcraft.
"A well formulated question is more important than the answer." -Albert Einstein
Gamer0ne
Profile Joined May 2010
Bulgaria51 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-19 11:06:08
May 19 2010 11:04 GMT
#45
On May 19 2010 20:02 Darpinion wrote:
They (Blizzard) has already officially stated that they are going to have chat rooms after retail release. I don't believe that not having a room to chat in is a reason to give up playing a game. It's Starcraft not Chatcraft.

Quite the opposite,in fact.They have stated that there will be NO chat rooms.
At least not in the original game(so 9 months+ best case scenario)
HubertFelix
Profile Joined April 2010
France631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-19 11:11:08
May 19 2010 11:09 GMT
#46
Yeah if you don't have a group of friends with skype etc, bnet 2.0 is a cold empty place. I guess it's intended since blizzard doesn't care about people sitting on the channels, they want player to beta test the game.

You should wait for the release for a more social game

People saying "it's not a chat game" etc .. Imagine if you do not have friends on beta, it can be pretty boring
rbkl
Profile Joined March 2010
772 Posts
May 19 2010 11:12 GMT
#47
I agree, I really wish people would start using the TL irc channel a lot more. It's a pretty cool place to be. Even in BW, you could only talk to people that were on your server, at least if you were using Bnet. The TL irc channel has people from everywhere.
www.check6gaming.com // www.iugaming.com ** Indiana's Premier Gaming / Starcraft Community **
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
May 19 2010 11:14 GMT
#48
At the very least I wish Blizzard would give a good reason behind their decision to not have chat channels at release.

Maybe they'll add it after the May 31st deadline? One can wish.
Moderator
Bane_
Profile Joined October 2005
United Kingdom494 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-19 11:18:04
May 19 2010 11:16 GMT
#49
Perhaps the downtime after the first phase of the beta is partly intended to let them implement the full range of social features planned for release (they claimed they limited them to have us more focused on testing after all), so we can give them a bit of a workout before the game ships?
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
May 19 2010 11:19 GMT
#50
On May 19 2010 20:02 Darpinion wrote:
They (Blizzard) has already officially stated that they are going to have chat rooms after retail release. I don't believe that not having a room to chat in is a reason to give up playing a game. It's Starcraft not Chatcraft.

The game being incredibly dull is a good reason to stop though. Laddering is boring alone.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Xyik
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada728 Posts
May 19 2010 11:23 GMT
#51
I think blizzard was fed up with all the advertising / spam that could happen in chat channels like that. Not sure why they can't find a solution though. Not to say its worth it to develop a new completely different system. The current one really sucks. The whole party thing is a mess and makes no sense. Half the time I encounter bugs with people not being able to join the party correctly / icons disappearing / etc etc. I feel like localized channels were a great social element...
Daniri
Profile Joined May 2007
387 Posts
May 19 2010 11:23 GMT
#52
On May 19 2010 20:04 Gamer0ne wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2010 20:02 Darpinion wrote:
They (Blizzard) has already officially stated that they are going to have chat rooms after retail release. I don't believe that not having a room to chat in is a reason to give up playing a game. It's Starcraft not Chatcraft.

Quite the opposite,in fact.They have stated that there will be NO chat rooms.
At least not in the original game(so 9 months+ best case scenario)


As I said they keep giving different answers but the latest answer was that there will be chat channels ideally in some patch after launch.
"you guys are silly lol thats why i hate you people" berserkboar
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
May 19 2010 11:25 GMT
#53
On May 19 2010 19:14 Liquid`Nazgul wrote:
I agree this is such a huge miss. I have some confidence Blizzard will change this because it would simply be unbelievably strange if they didn't. The battle.net that is used for the Beta is a big mess running on old worthless WC3 code and 3 steps down from any sign of common sense.

As a gamer I'm not capable of deciding not to play SC2 over some chat functions though.


I feel the same way exactly. I would expect Blizzard to add this feature (maybe even into the beta when it starts up in phase 2?) into SC2 later because it's such a huge part of the game experience. Didn't they at some point say that they were developing Battle.net 2.0 in concordance with SC2 or something? I can't imagine they aren't planning this kind of stuff.

But, yes, Blizzard has me by the balls. I just can't choose not to play this game over some missing chat functions.
TL+ Member
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
May 19 2010 11:27 GMT
#54
This is so true. What personally messes me up the most is the inability to watch replays with people. It's hard to believe that they wouldn't implement that - how hard can it be? I need this system to watch my games with a practice partner. I don't want to have to send a file (with an annoying name so I can't even properly store my replays) for someone to see it.

The worst thing is I think blizz said they wouldn't put that into the game for a while... So ridiculous.

"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
barth
Profile Joined March 2008
Ireland1272 Posts
May 19 2010 11:29 GMT
#55
On May 19 2010 19:10 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2010 19:07 Crimson.Slayer wrote:
It's a beta... They want us to test the functionality of the game. Making friends would be nice, but if your posting here you have access to a bigger Starcraft 2 playing community than you would currently on bnet. If you want to complain about the social aspect, do so about how unfriendly or unsporting people are. No GL/HF at the begining and no GG when they lose. As much as I get tempered when I get cheesed I still gg, and watch the replay to learn from my defeat. I'll note it again; It's a BETA. They'll probably add at launch the chat rooms and unless they've said a definitive no to group replays they'll have that as well.

.. it's a Beta with less than two weeks left. If the social aspects were considered a major issue by Blizzard they should have attended to them by now (imo). However, from their interview answers on the subject it appears that this is not going to be the case. Oh well, it's not like I've purchased/will purchase SC2 at this rate anyway.

I`m fairly sure I recall Dustin saying in one of his recent interviews that chat rooms will in fact be implemented (of a slightly different kind but I doubt it will change the good social side of them). Not like you need much testing of a simple chat room. The "final stage" of testing is still ahead of us and I think it`s safe to say there will be lots and lots of new non gameplay related stuff introduced, including chat rooms.
"Somebody you are talking to disappears mid sentence, and the universe shoots you because you talked to someone that wasn`t there." - MasterOfChaos
Persev
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States127 Posts
May 19 2010 11:30 GMT
#56
I agree whole heartedly ,100% concur with the OP. Brood War was/is not only the pinnacle gold standard (platinum now!) for all rts games because of not only the game engine but also the dynamics around it. One of the greatest social aspects of the game that for sure has not gone unnoticed (i hope) is /was the community channel. Sometimes some very bizarrre things would happen and you would meet a whole mob of apes..but the flip side was you could also find the reverse a whole group of similar fun minded, manner people that shared the same interests and could broaden not only your game experience but things outside of it. I miss those days. Unlucky for you guys now I post here!

This is beta though. If you feel like your navigating a cold and barren maze in search of cheese while someone is observing you...maybe you are!

Be nice!
Longshank
Profile Joined March 2010
1648 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-19 11:35:02
May 19 2010 11:33 GMT
#57
I`m fairly sure I recall Dustin saying in one of his recent interviews that chat rooms will in fact be implemented (of a slightly different kind but I doubt it will change the good social side of them). Not like you need much testing of a simple chat room. The "final stage" of testing is still ahead of us and I think it`s safe to say there will be lots and lots of new non gameplay related stuff introduced, including chat rooms.


Indeed, they've already said they will be adding chat rooms, calm down.
Starparty
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Sweden1963 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-19 12:08:52
May 19 2010 12:08 GMT
#58
well i can understand why they dont have such features in the beta. Its there to try the game out. I remember how easy it was to get stuck idling forever rather than playing games back in the days. I do agree thought, it would be pretty bad not to have a proper channel system in the retail. That would actually be a downgrade from b.net1
The artist formerly known as Starparty
Dionyseus
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States2068 Posts
May 19 2010 12:12 GMT
#59
I met a good friend in WC3 through its chat system, I would have never met her otherwise because our skill level is too different. SC2 will need a chat system, hopefully sooner rather than later.
9/5/10 P acct: NA D 10,683 651pts 69w56L http://sc2ranks.com/char/us/290365/LetoAtreides T acct: NA D 16,137 553pts 70w67L http://sc2ranks.com/char/us/1560008/Khrone Z: NA G 16,058 465pts 28w26L http://www.sc2ranks.com/us/1997354/Omnius
MidKnight
Profile Joined December 2008
Lithuania884 Posts
May 19 2010 12:16 GMT
#60
On May 19 2010 18:56 moopie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2010 18:51 Drakonis wrote:
I would expect Blizzard would add chat rooms by launch.

I believe they actually stated they won't have it ready by launch.

As for the OP, I completely agree with your post. Oftentimes after playing, I would go 'cool off' on bnet, often times meeting back up with people I had played with earlier that night, chatting, sometimes setting up new matches, etc. It was a good atmosphere (aside from the spambots, but those can be dealt with).



Yea, I think they have..The problem is..
HOW HARD IS IT TO PROGRAM A FUCKING CHAT ROOM?
Wouldn't it take like 1 guy and like 5 hours?
Seriously..
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1315
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 238
Rex 87
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 56705
Calm 3770
Shuttle 3367
Bisu 1450
FanTaSy 1335
firebathero 392
Stork 287
Mini 264
Hyuk 248
Soma 244
[ Show more ]
Zeus 243
Rush 226
EffOrt 213
actioN 194
Soulkey 169
Last 154
Light 142
ZerO 130
Snow 103
Dewaltoss 73
Sea.KH 65
Mong 63
Pusan 60
PianO 55
Killer 52
Barracks 46
JYJ 44
hero 43
Shinee 36
Free 35
NotJumperer 34
ToSsGirL 31
Bale 27
Aegong 26
Shine 26
Yoon 26
Sharp 23
sorry 20
yabsab 19
Sacsri 16
HiyA 16
Noble 14
Hyun 12
Icarus 3
Dota 2
Gorgc6835
Dendi539
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1306
kRYSTAL_324
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King107
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko381
Other Games
gofns35366
singsing2029
B2W.Neo688
crisheroes265
hiko210
DeMusliM202
Livibee130
byalli90
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV207
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream18
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 7
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 36
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
21m
OSC
9h 36m
Replay Cast
10h 21m
OSC
1d 10h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 21h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.