• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:16
CEST 13:16
KST 20:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9523 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 21

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 42 Next All
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 08 2010 08:22 GMT
#401
So you basically want to build a home theatre pc?

[image loading]

A few things to note:
5400 RPM drives are very quiet, they are typically the ones used in laptops so I think that should give you some idea of the noise. Considering this, I think it's difficult to justify a SSD in any form, especially considering its relative cost compared to the build.

From what I can tell, the i3-530 is able to decode 1080p video with integrated graphics. I have heard that the stock fan on the 530 is fairly quiet, though you may want to go with a passive cooler which should cost $30-$50. Of course, this also means you should avoid playing games that are even remotely demanding.

I'm fairly iffy on the fans. The cost of 3 fans should be about the same regardless, but you can get fans that are both quiet and effective, or incredibly quiet fans that, while basically impossible to hear, move so little air that it might not be enough to cool the case.

I assumed you would want a blu-ray drive, but removing it saves you $60.

It comes out to $500 without SSD/blu-ray, which I think is acceptable. You can save around $100 more by picking out a case with a built in power supply and dropping the fans.

Also, I think spending extra money on a large case and then stuffing it to muffle noise is a bad idea, but that's just my opinion.

Just a disclaimer, I have very little experience building HTPCs.
snowbird
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Germany2044 Posts
July 08 2010 09:43 GMT
#402
I want to upgrade my PC. I'll be mainly using it for SC2 and other games.

I already have a Radeon 5770.

This is what I had in mind:

ASUS P7P55 LX P55 S1156 ATX *** 90,19 €
2x2048MB G.Skill NT DDR3-1333 CL9 Kit *** 89,55 €
Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz 4800MT/s S1156 8MB 95W BOX 186,40 €

Total: 366,14 €
With a coupon I have I can get it down to about 300€.

What do you guys think? Should I rather go for a AMD system?

Is the mobo ok? I don't know much about mobos.. I was also thinking about getting a SSD to put the OS and a few games on (SC). Was thinking about this one:
64GB Western Digital SiliconEdge Blue 121,34 €

Dunno much about SSDs, but reviews said its good for the price. Will it be compatible with the mobo? Does a SSD require special features? (Special SATA controller or smth?).
@riotsnowbird
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
July 08 2010 09:45 GMT
#403
G.Skill Falcon II 64GB is imo the best bang for buck without going to sandforce.
Rillanon.au
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
July 08 2010 09:54 GMT
#404
On July 08 2010 16:35 mahnini wrote:
get this heatsink imo :D
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

weak
[image loading]
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 10:03:37
July 08 2010 09:59 GMT
#405
On July 08 2010 17:22 nineninja9 wrote:
So you basically want to build a home theatre pc?

[image loading]

A few things to note:
5400 RPM drives are very quiet, they are typically the ones used in laptops so I think that should give you some idea of the noise. Considering this, I think it's difficult to justify a SSD in any form, especially considering its relative cost compared to the build.

From what I can tell, the i3-530 is able to decode 1080p video with integrated graphics. I have heard that the stock fan on the 530 is fairly quiet, though you may want to go with a passive cooler which should cost $30-$50. Of course, this also means you should avoid playing games that are even remotely demanding.

I'm fairly iffy on the fans. The cost of 3 fans should be about the same regardless, but you can get fans that are both quiet and effective, or incredibly quiet fans that, while basically impossible to hear, move so little air that it might not be enough to cool the case.

I assumed you would want a blu-ray drive, but removing it saves you $60.

It comes out to $500 without SSD/blu-ray, which I think is acceptable. You can save around $100 more by picking out a case with a built in power supply and dropping the fans.

Also, I think spending extra money on a large case and then stuffing it to muffle noise is a bad idea, but that's just my opinion.

Just a disclaimer, I have very little experience building HTPCs.

the hdd is a 5400rpm if it's not too much more costly i'd move to a Western Digital Green, most have a great baring system that's ultra quiet under use.

The fans are costly, frankly all of them don't move alot of air but are quiet, but for those prices i might as well get these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608004

ofc there are always ways to quiet a pc
http://www.acousticpc.com/quiet_computer_case_insulation.html

in reality any non sleeve based fans will do, 2 ball is great and some hyrdo proprietary named crap is probably just fine.

i'd try to save money to get a passive cpu cooler or one you can strap at very low rpms or even 4 gigs of ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256055&cm_re=Silverstone_Nightjar-_-17-256-055-_-Product
pure passive psu haha too bad demand is so low.
Ota Solgryn
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Denmark2011 Posts
July 08 2010 10:19 GMT
#406
I could really use a gaming build. I don't know much about computers, so could use some help. The builds so far are they only for gaming? Or do they have some gaming wise unneccesary stuff?

My budget is a max of 1300 dollars.
ihasaKAROT: "Wish people would stop wasting their lives on finding flaws in others"
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
July 08 2010 11:15 GMT
#407
On July 08 2010 10:25 FragKrag wrote:
Streaming puts almost 0 stress on the GPU.

GPGPU has not advanced far enough for it to be very common place at the moment. I would say get an HD 5870 and a better motherboard so you can add another. ME:2 puts almost no stress on the 5870 (even before catalyst drivers), and the 5870 was averaging 60+ fps on DoW2 before catalyst drivers as well.

I wouldn't skimp on the motheboard. Better motherboards give better overclocking capabilities and features you don't realize you want until you need them. (like a clear CMOS button)

You don't need the 5970 unless you are doing tri-monitor eyefinity or like 2560x1600.

Uh the 1090T is $300, you can pick up an i7 930 @ Microcenter for $200-230 (depending on the day) or $280 or so at Newegg. The cost comes from the X58 (which is comparable to the 890FX/790FX motherboards)

And I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to performance. If you are going to encode, then yes the 1090T wins over the i7 930/860, but if you are talking about gaming, the i7s are still miles ahead in every regard.
The $280 i7s are duos at 2.8 GHz. And I've said numerous times I'll be doing video encoding unrelated to gaming. Resetting CMOS is easy without a button, and I don't plan to spend $60 for one. And I plan to set up at least 2 HP LP3065s.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
July 08 2010 11:56 GMT
#408
Clock for clock, Intel wins though.

There is no reason not to go for 1090T, it is the best CPU that AMD has put out in a while. But being a Black Edition, I hope you take advantage of that.
Rillanon.au
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 19:22:56
July 08 2010 19:22 GMT
#409
Okay, my GPU just went out of stock right as I was about to purchase it.

This is the one I was getting:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150477

Is it okay to substitute it with this one or should I just wait?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161330

Or should I just get a different one?
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 19:38:30
July 08 2010 19:30 GMT
#410
On July 08 2010 20:56 haduken wrote:
Clock for clock, Intel wins though.

There is no reason not to go for 1090T, it is the best CPU that AMD has put out in a while. But being a Black Edition, I hope you take advantage of that.

the reason no one should go for a 1090T is because the 1055T is $100 less and can overclock just as well with a little more work

On July 08 2010 20:15 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 08 2010 10:25 FragKrag wrote:
Streaming puts almost 0 stress on the GPU.

GPGPU has not advanced far enough for it to be very common place at the moment. I would say get an HD 5870 and a better motherboard so you can add another. ME:2 puts almost no stress on the 5870 (even before catalyst drivers), and the 5870 was averaging 60+ fps on DoW2 before catalyst drivers as well.

I wouldn't skimp on the motheboard. Better motherboards give better overclocking capabilities and features you don't realize you want until you need them. (like a clear CMOS button)

You don't need the 5970 unless you are doing tri-monitor eyefinity or like 2560x1600.

Uh the 1090T is $300, you can pick up an i7 930 @ Microcenter for $200-230 (depending on the day) or $280 or so at Newegg. The cost comes from the X58 (which is comparable to the 890FX/790FX motherboards)

And I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to performance. If you are going to encode, then yes the 1090T wins over the i7 930/860, but if you are talking about gaming, the i7s are still miles ahead in every regard.
The $280 i7s are duos at 2.8 GHz. And I've said numerous times I'll be doing video encoding unrelated to gaming. Resetting CMOS is easy without a button, and I don't plan to spend $60 for one. And I plan to set up at least 2 HP LP3065s.

also i7s are not duals if that's what you mean. there really is almost no reason to go AMD if you're spending $300 on a cpu the 1090T is simply not worth it. unless you're going to do some professional encoding an i7 860 does just as well as a 1090T and does far better in gaming thanks to turbo. this of course is for the sake of discussion, in almost all cases i7 860 > 1090T. of course, the 1055T would be a different matter altogether.
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
July 08 2010 19:35 GMT
#411
I agree with magnimus nini
Moderator<:3-/-<
Rho_
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States971 Posts
July 08 2010 22:59 GMT
#412
What do you guys think of this deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113131
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 23:02:52
July 08 2010 23:02 GMT
#413
You could build your own for less, but it isn't terrible.

AMD 6 cores aren't the best gaming CPUs though.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Rho_
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States971 Posts
July 08 2010 23:08 GMT
#414
I'd honestly like to build my own, but I get so bogged down in the details, trying to figure out where to save and where to splurge. I've been thinking that the time savings from buying a premade might be worth the cost difference.
G0dly
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States450 Posts
July 08 2010 23:28 GMT
#415
is coretemp a reliable program for determining cpu temps?

I've been trying to determine what temp my cpu is at when playing games, but pcprobe and coretemp give me drastically different numbers. Coretemp's numbers are much lower, by about 6-7 degrees

The Emperor - The Genius - The Cheater - The Maestro
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 00:36:48
July 09 2010 00:35 GMT
#416
G0dly: Real Temp is generally what people end up using

What CPU is it? In the past years (not sure when), Intel and AMD changed where the heat sensor is. So older monitors like Speed Fan give a lower temperature. Anyways you generally want to go with the higher temperature :p

Rho_ you won't spend any time if we put together a list of parts for you :p

after all that is what this thread is for!
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
July 09 2010 00:38 GMT
#417
real temp, hwmonitor, everest etc mostly what i care about is change of temp.

Ofc you should be always under like 5c of the max temp. just to take into account for errors in how temps are gathered.
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
July 09 2010 00:40 GMT
#418
On July 09 2010 09:35 FragKrag wrote:
G0dly: Real Temp is generally what people end up using

What CPU is it? In the past years (not sure when), Intel and AMD changed where the heat sensor is. So older monitors like Speed Fan give a lower temperature. Anyways you generally want to go with the higher temperature :p

Rho_ you won't spend any time if we put together a list of parts for you :p

after all that is what this thread is for!

yeah, about putting a computer together it's just like an afternoon as a bonus you get no bloat ware on your computer you need to remove.

If it's your first time it's likely an afternoon, i can do it in like an hour, 10-30 mins to install windows haha yeah.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 09 2010 00:41 GMT
#419
depends a lot on the parts you get and the effort you put in though. The more effort you put in, the cleaner the build is and the better your airflow (though have a good case makes this so much easier)
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
July 09 2010 00:54 GMT
#420
[image loading]
not everyone can spend this much love on their computer
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko306
SpeCial 104
ProTech82
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15849
firebathero 2115
Bisu 1073
Hyuk 662
Horang2 507
Larva 262
BeSt 261
Mini 185
Light 165
EffOrt 143
[ Show more ]
Soma 118
Barracks 101
Leta 97
Rush 77
Mong 73
ZerO 66
Snow 58
Pusan 51
Killer 50
Shinee 40
ToSsGirL 38
Aegong 37
NaDa 34
Yoon 31
Sharp 31
Mind 29
Sexy 29
Sea.KH 25
zelot 24
Bale 22
sorry 18
Sacsri 15
Noble 14
JulyZerg 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
XaKoH 299
Fuzer 161
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss841
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1048
crisheroes995
Other Games
gofns31187
singsing1967
olofmeister1136
B2W.Neo223
Livibee90
Mew2King84
ArmadaUGS59
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream205
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH138
• StrangeGG 39
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 44m
OSC
10h 44m
CranKy Ducklings
22h 44m
Online Event
23h 44m
FEL
1d 4h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 5h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 7h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 22h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.