• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:02
CEST 12:02
KST 19:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8109 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 22

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 42 Next All
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 01:30:25
July 09 2010 01:29 GMT
#421
Those look neither like GTX 275s, 285s, 295s, or Fermis

gtfo imho.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
July 09 2010 01:37 GMT
#422
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

EVGA GTX 275 superclocked.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 09 2010 01:42 GMT
#423
I knew it was risky adding GTX 275
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
July 09 2010 02:08 GMT
#424
shit, adding new HD's must be impossible in that rig
Rho_
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States971 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 03:35:01
July 09 2010 03:31 GMT
#425
I'm actually pretty comfortable getting all up in the guts of a computer, it's more the part selection part that intimidates me. Therefore, I'll take you guys up on your kind offer to build me a part list. I'll try to give you as much information as possible; lets see what you can do

Expected usage: 90% gaming. 10% general computing. I do enjoy having music, chat, and internet browsing programs running while I game, but it's not 100% necessary. I guess that I'd like to be able to stream/fraps while I game, but that's really just a bonus, not a high priority.

Priorities: Most important thing is that this computer be quiet; not necessarily silent, but pretty darn close. Beyond that, I really don't give a fuck how light/cool looking a case is (these are, of course, nice bonus features, but I'm not sacrificing other features for it). I've had a jet engine for the past 5 years, and I'm ready for something that isn't that way.

Next, I'd like to be able to upgrade in the future, so I'm looking at Crossfire ready mobos and the LGA 1366 or AM3 processors. If this isn't feasible due to cost, I understand, but I'd like to future proof as much as is possible (somewhat of a pipe dream, I know).

Ram can be 4GB, as long as I have the option to boost that down the road (I think that 4GB would be sufficient for what I want to do, if I'm wrong, correct me). I have no preference in terms of Intel vs. AMD. For GPU, from what I understand ATI is generally the better brand choice at the moment, but I'm not particularly choosy, and if you can tell me that a nVidia card is just as good or better for whatever reason, I'll listen.

Finally, I've never overclocked before, so I'm a little gunshy when it comes to that. However, as long as there is a solid precedent for the parts overclocking reliably, I'm willing to give it a go (hopefully you cats would be willing to help me out with that, as well).

Budget: Lets say 1300, since someone a few posts up had that as their budget.

I'm looking forward to what you guys come up with, and I'd like to thank you in advance for your help.
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
July 09 2010 03:41 GMT
#426
The first of two shipments came today.

Antec 300
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz
MSI 870A-G54 mobo
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM
Sapphire HD 5770
SeaSonic M12II 520W modular PSU
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HD
Windows 7 install disc



Now I'm just waiting on the Gelid Tranquillo heatsink/fan, which should be here tomorrow.


Working 10 to 3 tomorrow, and UPS delivers around 2PM on my street, so I should be able to come home to all my parts, take a quick cool shower (working in a Country Club's cramped poolside snack bar/grill/frying area in 95° weather...), and get assembling. The amount of wires with the power supply kind of overwhelmed me, but I'm assuming a lot of them won't be used. Everything seems pretty straightforward, although I'm going to be nervous when I install the RAM and the 5770.
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
OpticalShot
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada6330 Posts
July 09 2010 04:02 GMT
#427
Just remember to ground yourself when putting stuff together on the motherboard... safety first!
[TLMS] REBOOT
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 09 2010 04:25 GMT
#428
+ Show Spoiler [Intel] +
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.437518.19-115-225
i7 930 + Windows 7
$380

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225
6GB DDR3 Gskill 1600MHz
$150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
Samsung F3 1TB
$75

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.437565
Gigabyte X58 with USB 3.0 + SATA 3 and Corsair HX750
$320

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197
Cooler Master HAF 922
$90

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150477
XFX 5850
$295

~$1310
If you don't need Windows 7,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109022
+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006
for quiet cooling and overclocking. If you don't want to overclock, the stock should be fine. Kinda hard to work in a good LGA 1366 build in $1300.

+ Show Spoiler [AMD] +

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.430450
AMD Phenom II X4 955 + MSI 890FX
$330

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197
HAF 922
$90

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.431415
HX750 + Caviar Black 1TB
$205

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231310
4GB DDR3 GSkill 1x4GB
$105

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.437534.14-121-370
ASUS 5850 (overclocking model) + Windows 7
$420

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109022
Thermalright True
$60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006
Scythe SFlex
$20

$1230

You get more bang for your buck with the AMD system. Both should be good though.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 09 2010 05:27 GMT
#429
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


This build is not particularly quiet, and considering how poorly crossfire scales, it's not particularly upgradeable either, not to mention the board only supports x8 x8 with 2 gpus. It is also slightly over your budget, assuming you don't count mail in rebates. I was originally planning a 1366/470 build since SLI scales so nicely, but I was having difficulty staying within budget with even a single 470.

That being said, you have rather high standards, wanting a build that is both high-end and quiet. If you start using crossfire or SLI, I don't think there's any feasible way to keep your build particularly quiet given the amount of air you're going to have to move to cool the case.

Just to ask, is there any way for you to get an operating system through school or work? Also, if you live near a Microcenter, you can get an i7-930 for only $200, which helps your budget greatly. I might edit in an intel build if either of these options are feasible for you.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 05:39:57
July 09 2010 05:39 GMT
#430
It's really hard to fit an i7 build into a budget of under $1600 or so because the platform is made to cost around that much :/

If you are ok with PCIe 2.0 x8/x8 SLI/CF then you could go P55 and shave quite a bit off your costs though.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Rho_
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States971 Posts
July 09 2010 06:29 GMT
#431
First, I realize my standards are kinda high, but I also don't have a real grasp of what's possible at what price points, so I was just throwing those out there to help guide you fellows.

For W7, I might be able to handle that myself, need to do some investigation (Friend works for a uni, might be able to hook me up).

Do my priorities make sense to you guys? Or do you think I'm better off going cheaper (single card, i5, etc) rather than trying to be ready to upgrade?
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 09 2010 06:39 GMT
#432
It makes sense to prepare for a crossfire upgrade. It's just hard to fit an i7 build into a $1300 budget AND make it quiet at the same time :p

Both of the builds I posted will handle another graphics card perfectly (and if you don't need windows 7, then the Intel becomes feasible.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Rho_
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States971 Posts
July 09 2010 06:47 GMT
#433
Well my preference for the processor is based mainly on the discussion on the first page of this thread. Specifically, it states that there is concern for the longevity of the LGA 1156. Do I really even need to worry about that, given what I want to do? Is the LGA 1366/AMD3 strictly overkill? If it's easier to do i5 and make it nice and quiet without hampering what I want to do, then I'm all about that.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 09 2010 06:53 GMT
#434
The difference between LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 in terms of upgradability is moot. LGA 1366 dies Q3 or so next year and LGA 1156 dies Q1-Q2. Either way they are both out by mid/late 2011. You won't be getting any new CPUs (maybe a six core on LGA 1366, though I doubt it'll be worth it).

The main difference here between LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 is that LGA 1366 offers full PCIe 2.0 X16 bandwidth to both cards in Crossfire/SLI while LGA 1156 offers half of that per card. Unless you are going above a 5850, it will probably shave off a very insignificant amount of performance, and the LGA 1156 should end up coming out a bit cheaper.

AM3 is the only socket which should still be upgradable come 2011. Bulldozer should be able to work with AM3 according to AMD. If you want to be able to upgrade, AM3 is your only option.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 06:58:16
July 09 2010 06:55 GMT
#435
If being able to upgrade is important to you, I think you should go with an AMD build and a 470. As far as I can tell, if you do an intel build the 1366 is basically a dead socket, meaning you won't be able to upgrade your processor without buying an entirely new motherboard in the future. Of course, I highly doubt that you'll be able to bottleneck an i7, so that might not be particularly important. Also, SLI scales much more effectively than crossfire, so that's why I'm recommending nvidia.

Then again, nvidia isn't known for being particularly cool or quiet this generation. If it's more important for your computer to be quiet, I think an i5 build would be a better choice. An i5 won't really be bottlenecking your gpu anytime soon either, and the money you save can be put into extra fans and heatsinks that will help your computer run as quietly as possible. You would then probably get something like a 5850 with a plan to crossfire later on.

AMD/5850 would also work as a compromise.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 09 2010 06:59 GMT
#436
Nvidia has never been known to be very quiet :/

8800s were noisy, 9800s were fairly quiet, 200s were noisy, and 400s are noisy

:/
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Rho_
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States971 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 07:06:52
July 09 2010 07:05 GMT
#437
Thanks for the input guys. I am strongly leaning towards that AMD build. That should be plenty quiet right? If I can swing the Win 7 deal, would I be advised to drop a little more on a better case for more quiet?
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 09 2010 07:06 GMT
#438
which AMD build?

if you want quiet, go for this case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129061
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Rho_
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States971 Posts
July 09 2010 07:09 GMT
#439
Er, the first one. I don't think I need to throw a second 5850 in there quite yet, given what I plan on playing.
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
July 09 2010 12:35 GMT
#440
what about a passive 5750 for absolute silence?
Rillanon.au
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 59m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15108
firebathero 2253
Bisu 649
Hyuk 413
BeSt 199
Horang2 169
Sexy 123
EffOrt 115
Leta 106
Larva 104
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 80
Killer 80
Soma 78
Light 77
ZerO 72
ToSsGirL 43
Sharp 41
soO 41
Yoon 36
Rush 33
Pusan 31
Shinee 24
Aegong 24
Bale 21
NaDa 19
Sacsri 17
Hm[arnc] 15
sorry 12
JulyZerg 11
Terrorterran 5
Noble 5
Dota 2
Fuzer 187
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss972
byalli705
kRYSTAL_47
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor981
crisheroes636
Other Games
gofns29777
singsing1676
olofmeister1031
ceh9681
Mew2King97
ArmadaUGS40
ZerO(Twitch)16
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream176
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2383
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
2h 59m
OSC
11h 59m
CranKy Ducklings
23h 59m
Online Event
1d
FEL
1d 5h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.