• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:30
CEST 10:30
KST 17:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7837 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 24

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 42 Next All
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
July 10 2010 02:53 GMT
#461
Depends on the mobo most will have a 8pin, but all should have a 4 pin on the mobo.

Yeah normally when i can't get a computer to book i unplug everything, it's just a good practice sometimes connections aren't seated properly but look all the way in unpluging and resetting those connections can be sometimes a help oddly enough.

Then i only leave in the video card 1 stick on ram in the proper slot and see if i can get it to post.

Then i work up adding parts to ensure i can tell when or what is causing the problem.
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
July 10 2010 03:01 GMT
#462
On July 10 2010 11:42 FragKrag wrote:
Try booting up with just 1 stick of RAM in the A1 position of your mobo (wherever that may be)

If you have an ASUS mobo and have the memOK! feature, try that. Memory instability can cause an inability to boot.

I can't get to the 1st RAM slot - the heatsink is in the way. I'm currently using slots 3 and 4 because that's really all I can use.

It's an MSI 870A-G54 mobo.
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 10 2010 03:04 GMT
#463
Keep it in the 3rd slot. Take the RAM out of the 4th slot and attempt to boot with it.

If that doesn't work, try to reset your CMOS.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 10 2010 03:10 GMT
#464
On July 10 2010 12:01 yakitate304 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 11:42 FragKrag wrote:
Try booting up with just 1 stick of RAM in the A1 position of your mobo (wherever that may be)

If you have an ASUS mobo and have the memOK! feature, try that. Memory instability can cause an inability to boot.

I can't get to the 1st RAM slot - the heatsink is in the way. I'm currently using slots 3 and 4 because that's really all I can use.

It's an MSI 870A-G54 mobo.


Just to make sure, your CPU is receiving power right? If the 4/8 pin connector near the cpu isn't plugged in, then you'll get the exact problems you described.
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-10 03:18:42
July 10 2010 03:15 GMT
#465
I just went through Newegg's reviews... The last 3-4 days, multiple people have given 1/5 ratings for receiving a dead mobo or one that didn't display video. Hopefully one of your solutions will help me avoid tearing my face off.

"Cons: When plugged in, everything worked except for the monitor. All fans, lights etc came on. I asked around, was told that it was DOA. I asked my IT friend to come over and take a look. He came over, took my processor out, looked at it , put it in again and turned everything on. Same thing."
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
July 10 2010 03:34 GMT
#466
On July 10 2010 12:10 nineninja9 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 12:01 yakitate304 wrote:
On July 10 2010 11:42 FragKrag wrote:
Try booting up with just 1 stick of RAM in the A1 position of your mobo (wherever that may be)

If you have an ASUS mobo and have the memOK! feature, try that. Memory instability can cause an inability to boot.

I can't get to the 1st RAM slot - the heatsink is in the way. I'm currently using slots 3 and 4 because that's really all I can use.

It's an MSI 870A-G54 mobo.


Just to make sure, your CPU is receiving power right? If the 4/8 pin connector near the cpu isn't plugged in, then you'll get the exact problems you described.

Wow, the 4/8 pin one WASN'T connected.

I have an 8 pin cable that fits, but I also have a cable that is two blocks of 4, that also fits if I just plug one of the blocks in. It came with a (removable) piece of plastic covering up one of the blocks of 4 on the mobo. Should I use the regular 8 pin one, or only use a 4 pin one in the slot that was initially open?
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 10 2010 03:39 GMT
#467
On July 10 2010 12:34 yakitate304 wrote:

Wow, the 4/8 pin one WASN'T connected.

I have an 8 pin cable that fits, but I also have a cable that is two blocks of 4, that also fits if I just plug one of the blocks in. It came with a (removable) piece of plastic covering up one of the blocks of 4 on the mobo. Should I use the regular 8 pin one, or only use a 4 pin one in the slot that was initially open?


Use the 4 pin on the slot that was initially open.

That's a pretty easy mistake to make, I recognized the symptoms so quickly because I did that on my first build a while back and couldn't figure it out for hours.
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-10 03:52:24
July 10 2010 03:52 GMT
#468
the 8pin is recommended if you oc, as long as that 8 pin isn't pcie cord it should be the right cable.
else the 4 pin is perfectly fine.
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 10 2010 03:58 GMT
#469
I found a xfx hd 4870 that's cheaper than the xfx hd 4850 after MIR and shipping is factored, but the reviews say the 4870s get reallllly hot because of an incompetent fan.


4870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150436
vs.
4850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150482
ô¿ô
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 10 2010 04:06 GMT
#470
On July 10 2010 12:58 R04R wrote:
I found a xfx hd 4870 that's cheaper than the xfx hd 4850 after MIR and shipping is factored, but the reviews say the 4870s get reallllly hot because of an incompetent fan.


4870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150436
vs.
4850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150482


4870s get very hot in general. Mine idles at about 42C, but really it only matters if you care about fan noise. That and you'll pay a couple more dollars a year on electricity, but it's fairly insignificant.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 10 2010 04:37 GMT
#471
4870s and 4850s are both known for getting quite hot.

If you can get a 4870 for the price of a 4850, definitely get the 4870
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-10 04:56:06
July 10 2010 04:55 GMT
#472
On July 10 2010 13:06 nineninja9 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 12:58 R04R wrote:
I found a xfx hd 4870 that's cheaper than the xfx hd 4850 after MIR and shipping is factored, but the reviews say the 4870s get reallllly hot because of an incompetent fan.


4870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150436
vs.
4850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150482


4870s get very hot in general. Mine idles at about 42C, but really it only matters if you care about fan noise. That and you'll pay a couple more dollars a year on electricity, but it's fairly insignificant.

lol you call that hot my 8800gtx idled at 60c until i installed an aftermarket heat-sink all over that dam thing so it idled at 40 and at load at 50
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 10 2010 05:53 GMT
#473
On July 10 2010 13:55 semantics wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 13:06 nineninja9 wrote:
On July 10 2010 12:58 R04R wrote:
I found a xfx hd 4870 that's cheaper than the xfx hd 4850 after MIR and shipping is factored, but the reviews say the 4870s get reallllly hot because of an incompetent fan.


4870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150436
vs.
4850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150482


4870s get very hot in general. Mine idles at about 42C, but really it only matters if you care about fan noise. That and you'll pay a couple more dollars a year on electricity, but it's fairly insignificant.

lol you call that hot my 8800gtx idled at 60c until i installed an aftermarket heat-sink all over that dam thing so it idled at 40 and at load at 50



I dunno... some of the reviews on the 4870 claim 60-80C Idles and one got to 98C on a full load :S
ô¿ô
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 10 2010 05:56 GMT
#474
that is a bit high even for a 4870. High 80s and Low 90s are a normal occurrence though.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
July 10 2010 05:58 GMT
#475
I am now posting from my new computer! Thanks a TON nineninja9 - I was about to cry tears of agony and despair.

Everything is recognized and working. I was honestly too lazy to remove the components one by one so I just prayed that the 8-pin connector (which is what I used) would make the difference, and it did.

Windows 7 is going to take some getting used to...


Thank you all so much for all the help and answers you gave me over the last week or two!
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 10 2010 06:12 GMT
#476
No problem.
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-10 11:40:37
July 10 2010 11:04 GMT
#477
Decided the XFXs were too expensive. I found these 2 4850s

I know Sapphire isn't the best brand, but for what it's worth, it has Vapor-X(?gimmick?) cooling that keeps temps pretty low according to reviews with respect to most 4850s. Only thing I hope for is to not get a faulty card. 650mhz/1000mhz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102834
$80 after MIR

Then there's this Asus card with a decent-looking hsm(hell, what do I know?) and reviews say it's really good for OCing. And no reviews of faulty cards (yet).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121380
$85 after MIR

I was going begin looking at GT250s but I'm a bit iffy on that spectrum of graphics cards.

Edit: I'm a bit confused in finding a PSU. I used Newegg's "Which Power Supply Do I Need?" feature where you input what parts you're using and it determines an amount of wattage recommended for you.

How much should I scale up from that? I noticed the efficiencies of (good) PSUs are a little above 80%, so should I get the recommended wattage after factoring the 80% efficiency of the PSU or just a little over?

http://c1.neweggimages.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?cm_sp=Cat32_PowerSupply_left-_-PowerSupplyFinder030510-_-http://promotions.newegg.com/productfinders/powersupply.jpg

PII x4 (presuming I unlock cores)
High-end Mobo
4850
2gb ddr3 x2
Combo Drive
7200rpm hard drive

recommends me 451 wattage.

Should I get 500, 600, or 700?
ô¿ô
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
July 10 2010 12:31 GMT
#478
Corsair HX 650

Seasonic M12II 620W

XFX 650W XXX

The above three have one thing in common, they are all made by Seasonic! So get which ever one is cheaper!

(Probably Corsair HX 650)
Rillanon.au
Rev0lution
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States1805 Posts
July 10 2010 14:14 GMT
#479
On July 10 2010 21:31 haduken wrote:
Corsair HX 650

Seasonic M12II 620W

XFX 650W XXX

The above three have one thing in common, they are all made by Seasonic! So get which ever one is cheaper!

(Probably Corsair HX 650)


This one is the best.
My dealer is my best friend, and we don't even chill.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-10 15:04:12
July 10 2010 15:02 GMT
#480
They're also essentially the same model as well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371020
Antec Truepower 550W $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021
Antec Truepower 650W $90

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003
Corsair 450W $65, $45 after MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
Corsair 550W $80, $70 after MIR

I would go for the 550W myself. There are plenty of companies that also make good PSUs. Don't have to limit yourself to Sea Sonic models.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 887
firebathero 869
actioN 372
Leta 107
Dewaltoss 103
Yoon 60
Killer 55
soO 46
Bale 24
Aegong 22
[ Show more ]
Hm[arnc] 21
Sharp 14
Dota 2
Fuzer 121
League of Legends
JimRising 474
Counter-Strike
byalli490
shoxiejesuss468
kRYSTAL_5
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor920
Other Games
summit1g9704
singsing1082
olofmeister1023
ceh9607
Mew2King93
ArmadaUGS44
trigger13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream160
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2333
League of Legends
• Rush1294
• Stunt490
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
4h 30m
OSC
13h 30m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 1h
Online Event
1d 2h
FEL
1d 7h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 8h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 10h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.