• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:39
CEST 14:39
KST 21:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8294 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 18

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 42 Next All
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
July 07 2010 07:01 GMT
#341
adding a 2nd 5850 with overclocking could be troublesome at 650w, although corsairs 650hx is probably closer to 700-750w just uses a lower wattage to get the high 80+ rating so it's a tough call frankly too close to do.
justiceknight
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Singapore5741 Posts
July 07 2010 07:08 GMT
#342
well i am a computer idiot and my sis wanna secretly buy a comp for me and heres the stats

ASROCK Nettop ION 330 series
19'' inch LCD
CPU
video card nvidea
DVD RW Drive
HDD ( Min 250GB)
sound card
4 USB/ 1 FW
Lan card/Wireless

thats what she wrote in her note book and i have no idea whats good and whats bad,and also is it good for playing SC2?
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
July 07 2010 07:13 GMT
#343
its an ion, the gpu is prob good enough to run sc on lowest pretty well but it's an ion, so it runs on an intel atom cpu, which is super weak not at all suitable for sc2, ofc those computers are pretty cheap too.
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-07 13:21:55
July 07 2010 13:20 GMT
#344
On July 07 2010 11:56 jgad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2010 10:49 Boblion wrote:
I don't understand how a PSU could make a software crash.



Let me count the ways....

How many ways can problems with your blood make you sick. Power is the very heart and soul of a computer. It is the beginning and the end, the alpha and the omega - all things start from the PSU and it is where all things return. Noise, ripple, too much voltage, too little voltage, any deviation from smooth, clean power can screw with the mobo, cpu, ram, whatever - it takes as little as one bit to be seen as ON instead of OFF to throw your system for a loop and grind the whole works to a halt.

well if you have too much voltage or too little voltage it will make your whole comp crash, not internet explorer
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
July 07 2010 13:26 GMT
#345
Potentially if the graphic card or memory is not feed with proper power then error rate would increase hence resulting in software crashes.

It's a fringe case though, it is more likely that the computer would not boot.
Rillanon.au
Mumblee
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada256 Posts
July 07 2010 13:50 GMT
#346
On July 07 2010 22:20 Boblion wrote:
well if you have too much voltage or too little voltage it will make your whole comp crash, not internet explorer


I was referring to explorer.exe, not iexplore.exe.

Strangely enough, when I booted using a different vista user account, the blue screens seem to have subsided. I ran Prime95 in conjunction with FurMark this morning for about 20 minutes without problems, so I'm pretty sure it's not a PSU issue (If I can peg both the CPU/GPU, what more power do I need?). I left Prime95 running when I left for work this morning, and if it's clean when I get home tonight, I'll try reformatting to get rid of whatever scary ghosts there are in my machine.
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
July 07 2010 13:55 GMT
#347
Yea it is probably a software issue. I would have formatted first tbh :p
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
Muff2n
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United Kingdom252 Posts
July 07 2010 15:20 GMT
#348
So I have decided to build my own PC for the fun of learning how it is done.
After some reading it looks like it can go one of two ways.

1. I basically steal someone else's up-to-date suggested build from a reputable website like bit-tech and order all that stuff.

2. I could do some research myself on sites that show the performance of hardware and make my own choices (checking compatibility).

However the second option is much harder for me because I am not familiar with the output of how CPUs etc are marked and I would worry about the uncertainty this causes. (Is one better at hyper threading than another? NB. I only know qualitatively that hyper threading helps you run more processes, no more than this).

In both cases I am going to worry if the build has all the basic stuff that I just take for granted (eg. audio, RAID).

What I would like to know is:
Would you recommend putting in the extra time to do 2 over 1?
Do I have to worry that simply buying a motherboard, CPU, GPU, power supply, monitor, HD, DVD drive and case will not be enough and that I will have forgotten a lan card for example?

Thanks for your time.
ReTr0[p.S]
Profile Joined March 2005
Argentina1590 Posts
July 07 2010 15:35 GMT
#349
I got all the remaining parts for a build I bought last week, here's the rig:


1 x OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
1 x Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
1 x ASUS ENGTX480/2DI/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1 x SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM
1 x SIGMA MONSTER SP750C 750W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V 2.2V / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply
1 x Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
1 x MSI X58 Pro-E USB3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

=======================================

Here is my question, the Antec Nine Hundred has 4 huge fans and I also managed to get all the cables placed neatly to increase airflow as suggested. I didn't buy any cooling system but the CPU cooler/fan that came with the i7 930 is huge and seems reasonable. Will it be OK to overclook this computer or am I risking it?
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 07 2010 16:11 GMT
#350
It's huge because the CPU gives off 130W of heat. Overclocking it with the stock cooler is not a good idea.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
bmml
Profile Joined December 2009
United Kingdom962 Posts
July 07 2010 16:19 GMT
#351
On July 08 2010 00:35 ReTr0[p.S] wrote:
I got all the remaining parts for a build I bought last week, here's the rig:


1 x OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
1 x Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
1 x ASUS ENGTX480/2DI/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1 x SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM
1 x SIGMA MONSTER SP750C 750W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V 2.2V / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply
1 x Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
1 x MSI X58 Pro-E USB3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

=======================================

Here is my question, the Antec Nine Hundred has 4 huge fans and I also managed to get all the cables placed neatly to increase airflow as suggested. I didn't buy any cooling system but the CPU cooler/fan that came with the i7 930 is huge and seems reasonable. Will it be OK to overclook this computer or am I risking it?


Why bother with a £600 graphics card if you arent gonna watercool :S, no point going that top of the range then simply ignoring a good cooling solution.

FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 07 2010 16:27 GMT
#352
bmmi, a watercool setup is easily $300ish down the drain for a basic open loop

hardly affordable in the US and probably more expensive in Europe -_-
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
July 07 2010 16:41 GMT
#353
should have bought This
bmml
Profile Joined December 2009
United Kingdom962 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-07 16:43:11
July 07 2010 16:42 GMT
#354
My point was a 480 just isnt worth it at the moment, if you are so hell bent on getting one purchase a decent cooling kit then upgrade when you can.

No point buying a veyron if you are going to park it on the street.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-07 16:52:33
July 07 2010 16:51 GMT
#355
Right now I'm working on a new build.

So far:
CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1090TT
Mobo - ASUS M4A89TD (pending, might change to similar one later)
PSU - Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850 Watt
RAM - G.Skill 8 GB Ripjaws (2x4)
HDD - WD 1TB 3.0GB/s SATA
Case - Antec 1200 (pending, will probably switch to Antec 902 or some similar sized tower)
Video Card - Radeon HD 5970
I'll be using my current optical drive and monitors (will replace later though). Final cost after shipping: $1,810.80. All parts from Newegg.

[edit]
Price above also includes a tube of Arctic Silver.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-07 16:54:25
July 07 2010 16:53 GMT
#356
My 4870 can run basically everything I throw at it at maximum, so I'm content. Not any other reason to upgrade unless I want like +0.2ghz more CPU power. 4Gb RAM is enough, and the difference become more negligable as you install more RAM. Faster clock speeds result in only ~5 seconds difference I believe, and I don't wish to spend another $150 just for 5 seconds. The only thing I'll consider is a SSD, but at the rate their prices are falling, I'll be content to wait another 2-3 years. I would like the "omigod best computerz evar", but I don't see that it's a huge upgrade to a $800 rig. It's like the price/performance ratio.

I can see how it'd be fun to have the latest and best everytime though.
There is no one like you in the universe.
ReTr0[p.S]
Profile Joined March 2005
Argentina1590 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-07 17:05:21
July 07 2010 17:00 GMT
#357
I'm asking because I don't know, I did see a big difference on performance from a HD 5870 to a GTX 480 for only 100 bucks more (It was $460 USD for the GTX not £600). I have a highly ventilated system with fans everywhere so I was hoping that would be enough to keep everything cool enough. It's not like the GTX wont run unless you have a complete cooling system.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
July 07 2010 17:10 GMT
#358
vica, if you're addressing me specifically (I haven't read previous posts), it's because I'm going to be doing streaming for ICCup.TV. High quality streaming will require live video encoding, and with high intensity games I'll need as much power as I can get.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
bmml
Profile Joined December 2009
United Kingdom962 Posts
July 07 2010 17:10 GMT
#359
On July 08 2010 02:00 ReTr0[p.S] wrote:
I'm asking because I don't know, I did see a big difference on performance from a HD 5870 to a GTX 480 for only 100 bucks more (It was $460 USD for the GTX not £600). I have a highly ventilated system with fans everywhere so I was hoping that would be enough to keep everything cool enough. It's not like the GTX wont run unless you have a complete cooling system.


£420 in the UK not 600 but I stand by my opinion that it simply is not worth the extra money buying past a 5870/5850 right now esspecially with the ridiculous amount of power the 480 uses up.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-07 18:30:07
July 07 2010 18:28 GMT
#360
uh, GTX 480/470 have better tessellation support and DX11 looks much better on the GTX 480 than on the 5870.

I don't see why people are still going on about using power when it is probably an insignificant amount of money that is going into it.

Watercooling is a huge waste for nonSLI/XFire configs. You'll down $300 on a simple CPU/GPU loop and that setup is still going to be loud because you got a half assed radiator/pump. If you add extra loops that's another $200-300 which just isn't reasonable.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko429
ProTech124
Rex 3
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 46630
Bisu 1786
Horang2 1109
Hyuk 406
BeSt 405
EffOrt 377
Soma 363
Mini 309
Light 293
Larva 211
[ Show more ]
ZerO 148
Rush 117
Mong 99
Leta 99
Barracks 83
Snow 67
Sea.KH 57
Pusan 52
ToSsGirL 46
Mind 37
Shinee 35
JYJ 33
NaDa 31
Aegong 28
sorry 25
Yoon 22
Sexy 21
Bale 21
zelot 18
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
Terrorterran 10
Noble 10
JulyZerg 8
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc2682
XaKoH 405
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1304
Khaldor1081
Other Games
gofns35031
singsing2213
olofmeister1289
B2W.Neo323
hiko252
Livibee188
Mew2King85
ArmadaUGS58
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream212
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
StarCraft 2
TaKeTV 0
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH184
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 19
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
21m
OSC
9h 21m
CranKy Ducklings
21h 21m
Online Event
22h 21m
FEL
1d 3h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.