• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:00
CEST 06:00
KST 13:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7431 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 10

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 42 Next All
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
May 28 2010 03:20 GMT
#181
You can get caviar blacks for about the same price as the blues and get much better speed.
starleague forever
pinenamu
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States770 Posts
May 28 2010 03:35 GMT
#182
I'm building a computer over the summer, just wanted some TLer's opinions on it.

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068
Motherboard: MSI 790X-G45 AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130249
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 435
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103724
Graphics: VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 (going to get 2 of these for crossfire)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129112
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
RAM: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134718
HD: HITACHI Deskstar 1 TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145304
DVD Drive: LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

I'm planning to run this on XP and maybe 7 in the future. Thanks
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
May 28 2010 03:47 GMT
#183
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148262
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275

imo better sticks of ram, the circuital one is a better ocer
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
May 28 2010 03:48 GMT
#184
Not sure I like the Hitachi 1TB. I would rather get like a Samsung F3 1TB or a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB.

I guess the crossfire makes sense.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
pinenamu
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States770 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-28 03:57:58
May 28 2010 03:57 GMT
#185
It says my motherboard can only run DDR3 1200(OC)/1066/800, so those sticks wouldn't be an option for me. Are there any motherboards that you would recommend (noob friendly please :p)? I kind of chose the one I have up there because it says that it's crossfire ready and has good reviews but the ram is limiting.

Alright I'll look into the samsung and seagate, thanks! What is the difference between them and Hitachi?
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
May 28 2010 04:07 GMT
#186
Samsung has the highest sequential write speeds and read speeds, and the Seagate has a good warranty and should be fairly cheap.

When it says the speeds for RAM, that means those are the highest speeds that it will recognize automatically. It doesn't necessarily mean that you won't be able to reach those speeds.

Get this motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
pinenamu
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States770 Posts
May 28 2010 04:31 GMT
#187
Thanks for the advice Frag! I changed my motherboard to the asus, changed the hd to samsung. I don't really have any knowledge with overclocking and stuff so I think it'd be easier for me to go with speeds that the motherboard will recognize automatically lol. Since this motherboard recognizes 1600, how is this for ram?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211409

Just going with those based on cost, rating, and companies I heard of. Thanks in advance.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
May 28 2010 05:51 GMT
#188
The first and third are actually the same modules except with different heatspreaders.

As for choosing the brand, I would generally go with Corsair, but many would also choose GSkill. It comes down to personal preference and/or combo deals you can find.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
pinenamu
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States770 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-28 06:52:57
May 28 2010 06:48 GMT
#189
Alright thanks for the help, really appreciate it I think I'm going to go for the Corsair or A-DATA ram. Seems like people are having BSOD problems with GSkill.
mav451
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1596 Posts
May 28 2010 14:10 GMT
#190
On May 28 2010 15:48 pinenamu wrote:
Alright thanks for the help, really appreciate it I think I'm going to go for the Corsair or A-DATA ram. Seems like people are having BSOD problems with GSkill.


I have G.Skill - but you need to be careful using RAM when going between Intel/AMD. There are actual threads on this, where (yes unbelievably) people buy RAM advertised for i5/i7 and then find that the AMD boards are no cooperative. It is hilarious that for the first time, the advertisements are actually spot-on about compatibility.

Corsair is definitely a good choice though, b/c if you have problems you can contact Red/Yellowbeard, depending on what forum you go through. Personal help in RMAs - and ditto on problems with PSUs as well. Corsair's CS in general is really awesome.
With no power comes no responsibility?
3nickma
Profile Joined November 2007
Denmark1510 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-28 20:37:05
May 28 2010 14:24 GMT
#191
I've very recently bought and assembled the following computer system as my new gaming rig:

Asus P6X58D Premium
Intel Core i7-930 @ 2.8GHz (will try to OC to 4GHz soon)
Noctua NH-D14 + U.L.N.A.
12GB Corsair Dominator (CMD12GX3M6A1600C8)
2x Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5850 (CrossFire)
Intel X25-M 160GB
Corsair HX850W
Antec Three Hundred
Noctua NF-P14 FLX + U.L.N.A. (140mm Top Fan)
4x Nexus Basic (120mm Case Fans)
Asus DRW 24B1LT (LightScribe)
Windows 7 Home Premiun (64-bit Danish)
Creative Fatal1ty USB Gaming

Just received:

Razer DeathAdder Left Hand Edition
Razer Goliathus Fragged Control Edition

Awaiting:

Acer GD245HQ (120Hz 3D - Full HD)
Asus Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC 350 (yet to be released bundle)

EDIT:
Forgot my placeholder headset
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
Liquid`Ret
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Netherlands4535 Posts
May 28 2010 14:29 GMT
#192
you have a lot of money!
Team Liquid
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
May 28 2010 14:44 GMT
#193
You better OC it to 4ghz if you bought the D14 :>
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
May 28 2010 17:24 GMT
#194
good god
Shizuru~
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Malaysia1676 Posts
May 28 2010 17:30 GMT
#195
On May 28 2010 23:24 3nickma wrote:
I've very recently bought and assembled the following computer system as my new gaming rig:

Asus P6X58D Premium
Intel Core i7-930 @ 2.8GHz (will try to OC to 4GHz soon)
Noctua NH-D14 + U.L.N.A.
12GB Corsair Dominator (CMD12GX3M6A1600C8)
2x Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5850 (CrossFire)
Intel X25-M 160GB
Corsair HX850W
Antec Three Hundred
Noctua NF-P14 FLX + U.L.N.A. (140mm Top Fan)
4x Nexus Basic (120mm Case Fans)
Asus DRW 24B1LT (LightScribe)
Windows 7 Home Premiun (64-bit Danish)

Just received:

Razer DeathAdder Left Hand Edition
Razer Goliathus Fragged Control Edition

Awaiting:

Acer GD245HQ (120Hz 3D - Full HD)


how much did all that costs u? O.o
BloodDrunK
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bangladesh2767 Posts
May 28 2010 17:39 GMT
#196
i would seriously kill for a rig like that.
You have the power to create your own destiny.
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
May 28 2010 17:56 GMT
#197
Antec Three Hundred
Intel X25-M 160GB

I see those two things and become dissapointed very quickly for some reason.
3nickma
Profile Joined November 2007
Denmark1510 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-28 18:40:20
May 28 2010 18:25 GMT
#198
On May 29 2010 02:30 Shizuru~ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 28 2010 23:24 3nickma wrote:
I've very recently bought and assembled the following computer system as my new gaming rig:

Asus P6X58D Premium
Intel Core i7-930 @ 2.8GHz (will try to OC to 4GHz soon)
Noctua NH-D14 + U.L.N.A.
12GB Corsair Dominator (CMD12GX3M6A1600C8)
2x Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5850 (CrossFire)
Intel X25-M 160GB
Corsair HX850W
Antec Three Hundred
Noctua NF-P14 FLX + U.L.N.A. (140mm Top Fan)
4x Nexus Basic (120mm Case Fans)
Asus DRW 24B1LT (LightScribe)
Windows 7 Home Premiun (64-bit Danish)

Just received:

Razer DeathAdder Left Hand Edition
Razer Goliathus Fragged Control Edition

Awaiting:

Acer GD245HQ (120Hz 3D - Full HD)


how much did all that costs u? O.o


Did you really have to remind me?

18.780 DKK = $3.130 (currency as of 28/5-10) + $500 for the monitor whenever it's released So the Grand Total would be about $3.630.


On May 28 2010 23:44 FragKrag wrote:
You better OC it to 4ghz if you bought the D14 :>


Trust me, I will The NH-D14 was bought specifically for this purpose. My plan is to get my new monitor home (can't wait to replace my borrowed 19" 1280x1024), reformat the PC and then overclock it. But right now I'm just so happy I've finally got a computer that can run all my games flawlessly


On May 29 2010 02:56 semantics wrote:
Antec Three Hundred
Intel X25-M 160GB

I see those two things and become dissapointed very quickly for some reason.


And why is that? It's not like a more flashy chassis gives more FPS in games. I really liked it's sleek and simple design while not being too big. Even on a hot summer day where I was sweating the CPU only got about 5 degrees celsius higher and still below 40.

Also I needed to save just a bit at the point of purchase so I thought a well reviewed and cheap chassis would do the trick as a placeholder. If I'd upgrade my PC on a regular/more frequent basis I'd definitely go for a more roomy chassis! But once assembled I'm quite happy with it

If TRIM was supported in RAID I'd definitely buy 2x Intel X25-M 80GB instead but wouldn't take the chance. And the newer (and unproven!) SandForce drives aren't released yet where I live.

I actually don't need the capacity like many others but just wanted the speed. Will never buy a new PC if it isn't running on an SSD that's for sure! Currently I'm waiting Intel's release of their new SATA 6 X25-M Gen3 drives which will hopefully be RAID-able by that time
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
May 28 2010 20:11 GMT
#199
Mostly the Antec 300 is a mid tower, and crossfire in a mid tower just seems like i'm too cheap to buy a full tower, just seems like an odd place to skimp when the rest of the rig is so awesome.

The intel SSD you talked about your stance and i get your decision now.
3nickma
Profile Joined November 2007
Denmark1510 Posts
May 28 2010 21:17 GMT
#200
On May 29 2010 05:11 semantics wrote:
Mostly the Antec 300 is a mid tower, and crossfire in a mid tower just seems like i'm too cheap to buy a full tower, just seems like an odd place to skimp when the rest of the rig is so awesome.

The intel SSD you talked about your stance and i get your decision now.


Oh sure a very valid point indeed. Initially I was eyeing the Corsair Obsidian 700D/800D but thought that's a lot of money for a chassis. Already felt like my wallet was drained But if you buy a good chassis it can last for years and outlast several core components upgrade. Still I got a very good deal on the Antec Three Hundred so I decided it was worth it especially after reading AnandTech's mini-review. The first paragraph is well worth the read and a surprising comment cought my attention: "Large cases often end up providing inferior airflow since the interior is just too roomy". Can't speak from personal experience about that one but thinking about it for a monent I could see the logic behind it. So I went ahead with my purchase. But next time I'll most likely be getting a bigger chassis for easier upgrading though that shouldn't be a concern for quite some time now.

I don't have any mechanical hard disk drives installed in my new rig and can't remember just how long an HDD is. But I'm almost certain that the setup would NOT have room for any traditional 3.5" HDDs. And with my stance about SSD > HDD with nothing but a single SSD installed in the bottom of the chassis I have plenty of room for the GFX. Maybe if the PCIe power connectors where placed on top of the card and not on it's side there may just have been room for a hard disk. Can upload a picture if you want to see. As of now it's just dual-fan intake with a lot of empty space where the HDDs should've been and then my CrossFire setup.

Also the Antec Three Hundred came with native build-in mounting holes in the bottom to fasten the drive with. Had no idea about that but read in the manual that they continue to slightly improve their products even after initial release so a very pleasent surprise that I got the revised model. Also helped a bit with my decision to go with a single SDD I'd be able to secure right away.
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 177
ProTech121
Nina 35
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2249
Shuttle 1258
Dewaltoss 55
Bale 52
Noble 46
Snow 44
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm165
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1051
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King300
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor528
Other Games
summit1g9160
JimRising 710
C9.Mang0311
PiGStarcraft297
ArmadaUGS56
ViBE54
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV246
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream72
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta21
• Response 7
• Letter146
• practicex 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo942
• Stunt199
Other Games
• Scarra787
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
9h
OSC
18h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 6h
Online Event
1d 7h
FEL
1d 12h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 13h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 15h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.