• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:08
CEST 14:08
KST 21:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8922 users

Saying Goodbye to ASL English - Page 26

Forum Index > BW General
744 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 28 38 Next All
RogerChillingworth
Profile Joined March 2010
Chad3132 Posts
March 09 2021 02:55 GMT
#501
On March 03 2021 12:08 Apus wrote:
Have not posted in an extremely long time but have been watching GSL and ASL for years. Please reconsider this decision.



Yes please. I preferred ASL even to GSL

It's like if the mom in The Good Son dropped Elijah Wood instead of Macaulay Culkin. No but seriously, ASL hurts the most.

I'd love to know what prompted this decision. I hope it's not more of this "people outside of Korea don't like Brood War", because that's a load of shit.
Zekkezgz
Profile Joined March 2021
12 Posts
March 09 2021 08:35 GMT
#502
[QUOTE]On March 05 2021 16:58 TMNT wrote:
[QUOTE]On March 05 2021 16:37 Dante08 wrote:


Imagine the official Spanish cast (lets pretend there's one) is cancelled for example, we wouldn't pay much attention because we've still got Tastosis. [/QUOTE]

We watch it in English, Spanish cast is good but why settle with good when we can have the best. Also, today, almost everyone understands English to the necessary level to watch an English cast. English cast is viewed by every non Korean viewer...
vTv.Marine
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada151 Posts
March 09 2021 08:57 GMT
#503
Sad news TT. I really enjoyed watching the broadcasts. Hopefully they can find a solution that would help and benefit all parties involved.
Hows it going guys, long time no see
Zekkezgz
Profile Joined March 2021
12 Posts
March 09 2021 08:59 GMT
#504
Please help me here. I just can't get how this doesn't make sense financially. How much does Tastosis get paid? I mean... Technically, the setup is already there for a Korean cast. So it's just their salary, which Youtube views would pay alone. On the other side, they don't need to promote their crappy website in the foreign world; it is impenetrable for non Koreans, let alone watchable, due to lag, constant buffering, etc. So I can't understand that having 2 guys talking over a game and posting those videos on YouTube can make them lose money.
Zekkezgz
Profile Joined March 2021
12 Posts
March 09 2021 09:00 GMT
#505
Oh, and by the way, I am one of those who has seen every single KSL and ASL game whilst casted by Tastosis. And not a single ASTL game due to no English cast...
outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
March 09 2021 10:13 GMT
#506
On March 03 2021 11:11 AfreecaTVGlobal wrote:
Communities and English casters are still allowed, and encouraged, to broadcast the ASL to their own fans through our clean feed on their AfreecaTV Channels.
If you are interested, please contact us here!

Thank you,
AfreecaTV


I sent them my feelings. Feel free to do to the same, it doesn't require registration. Maybe if they'll see how many ppl are disappointed they might reconsider what they did. At least we can try.
sunbeams are never made like me...
oxKnu
Profile Joined December 2017
1267 Posts
March 09 2021 10:25 GMT
#507
On March 09 2021 17:59 Zekkezgz wrote:
Please help me here. I just can't get how this doesn't make sense financially. How much does Tastosis get paid? I mean... Technically, the setup is already there for a Korean cast. So it's just their salary, which Youtube views would pay alone. On the other side, they don't need to promote their crappy website in the foreign world; it is impenetrable for non Koreans, let alone watchable, due to lag, constant buffering, etc. So I can't understand that having 2 guys talking over a game and posting those videos on YouTube can make them lose money.


All ASL broadcasts on Youtube make 0 dollars.

Youtube demonetizes/takes down every video that plays copyrighted music.

Also, all ads are sold for AfreecaTV, Youtube is just used as a re-streaming platform.
MrMischelito
Profile Joined February 2014
347 Posts
March 09 2021 10:43 GMT
#508
On March 03 2021 12:07 GTR wrote:

even with the limited amount of time i have these days i would always try my best to watch asl or speed through the vods. guess that means i won't be watching any brood war anymore.


Same for me...
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22658 Posts
March 09 2021 11:10 GMT
#509
I used to watch ASL mostly in the background while doing something else, listening to Tastosis talk about what is happening and tabbing in to watch the action but I can't do that with the Korean cast. Don't understand Korean and miss the action because my mind simply tunes out the gibberish in my ear even if they get excited.

Guess I won't be watching BW anymore.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Lorch
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany3711 Posts
March 09 2021 11:36 GMT
#510
On March 09 2021 19:25 oxKnu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2021 17:59 Zekkezgz wrote:
Please help me here. I just can't get how this doesn't make sense financially. How much does Tastosis get paid? I mean... Technically, the setup is already there for a Korean cast. So it's just their salary, which Youtube views would pay alone. On the other side, they don't need to promote their crappy website in the foreign world; it is impenetrable for non Koreans, let alone watchable, due to lag, constant buffering, etc. So I can't understand that having 2 guys talking over a game and posting those videos on YouTube can make them lose money.


All ASL broadcasts on Youtube make 0 dollars.

Youtube demonetizes/takes down every video that plays copyrighted music.

Also, all ads are sold for AfreecaTV, Youtube is just used as a re-streaming platform.


How does that make any sense? They are allowed to play all the music they do under Korean copyright law. So youtube fucks them over by applying US copyright law to them?
oxKnu
Profile Joined December 2017
1267 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-09 12:12:44
March 09 2021 12:10 GMT
#511
On March 09 2021 20:36 Lorch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2021 19:25 oxKnu wrote:
On March 09 2021 17:59 Zekkezgz wrote:
Please help me here. I just can't get how this doesn't make sense financially. How much does Tastosis get paid? I mean... Technically, the setup is already there for a Korean cast. So it's just their salary, which Youtube views would pay alone. On the other side, they don't need to promote their crappy website in the foreign world; it is impenetrable for non Koreans, let alone watchable, due to lag, constant buffering, etc. So I can't understand that having 2 guys talking over a game and posting those videos on YouTube can make them lose money.


All ASL broadcasts on Youtube make 0 dollars.

Youtube demonetizes/takes down every video that plays copyrighted music.

Also, all ads are sold for AfreecaTV, Youtube is just used as a re-streaming platform.


How does that make any sense? They are allowed to play all the music they do under Korean copyright law. So youtube fucks them over by applying US copyright law to them?


How does it not make any sense? Youtube is a Google company that operates under specific laws that apply for all of their users unless they choose to offer preferential treatment to some of them.

The copyrighted music thing has been happening on Youtube for very long. There have been very successful channels (far more than Afreeca's) that have been taken down altogether because of this rule.

There are probably thousands of videos of people complaining about this in some form or the other.
WaldosLonelyWife
Profile Joined December 2011
United States20 Posts
March 09 2021 12:30 GMT
#512
If entity[s] are able to stream the ASL feed while providing commentary and producing content using websites that are not AfreecaTV then this is not the worst thing to happen and could very well end up being a positive for Broodwar.

If AfreecaTV ends up charging exorbitant fees to license, pursue copyright infringement, and actively disincentives foreign community involvement. Then this is not only a very poor business decision if you could call it that, but a terrible announcement.

ASL produced the stream for viewers to watch StarCraft:Broodwar. Viewership was in the hundreds on ASLen but in the thousands on YouTube. Compared to the Korean audience of main ASL with 100k+ and tens of thousands across various restreams. Metrics on this data if available would show a clear trend.

AfreecaTV if they are pursuing a strategy of consolidation would be operating too an extent in their best interests cultivating the scene further in Korea as best they can.

Communities and English casters are still allowed, and encouraged, to broadcast the ASL to their own fans through our clean feed on their AfreecaTV Channels.


This language, particularly "on their AfreecaTV channels" is the spooky part. Depending on how you cast your aspersions moving forward we will find out what this means if anything.

Ideally we get exclusive english restreams with commentary and vods.

Afreeca could do well to build out their platform to exclusively foreigners or make simple improvements that give better functionality than exists currently. Had they done this in the past, surely they could see some marginal gains in their investment? English subtitles? spoTV was on that way before and had active involvement with translation and engagement. Selective advertising, fundraising, merchandise? YouTube exclusive content for english viewers?

Maybe some not all was worth the effort if any so they decided to do nothing, but also it's not as if Korean StarCraft owes us anything; and this announcement goes along way in highlighting this fact.
Satisfaction comes in small victories.
earob84
Profile Joined October 2017
Germany189 Posts
March 09 2021 12:40 GMT
#513
On March 09 2021 19:13 outscar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2021 11:11 AfreecaTVGlobal wrote:
Communities and English casters are still allowed, and encouraged, to broadcast the ASL to their own fans through our clean feed on their AfreecaTV Channels.
If you are interested, please contact us here!

Thank you,
AfreecaTV


I sent them my feelings. Feel free to do to the same, it doesn't require registration. Maybe if they'll see how many ppl are disappointed they might reconsider what they did. At least we can try.



done
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-09 13:04:18
March 09 2021 12:59 GMT
#514
On March 09 2021 21:30 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
Ideally we get exclusive english restreams with commentary and vods.
Why would that be ideal? Why would you want an English stream to be exclusive? Let anybody who can cast in English cast, not just one person, just like it was in the past and now. Why would you want the future to be restricted?

Anyways, I just watched ASL11 wildcard live at source 1080p, no problem.
WaldosLonelyWife
Profile Joined December 2011
United States20 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-09 14:13:46
March 09 2021 14:09 GMT
#515
On March 09 2021 21:59 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2021 21:30 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
Ideally we get exclusive english restreams with commentary and vods.
Why would that be ideal? Why would you want an English stream to be exclusive? Let anybody who can cast in English cast, not just one person, just like it was in the past and now. Why would you want the future to be restricted?

Anyways, I just watched ASL11 wildcard live at source 1080p, no problem.


I believe it's fair to say we've been operating under sheer speculation. I don't want an exclusive english stream, I think in terms of business and productivity as well as professionalism it's better to have an exclusive stream on Twitch with the likes of Tastosis for example, but for every person who enjoys Tastosis there are some who don't, others who don't care, and a lot of people who wouldn't be driven to BW without.

Within the context of viewership and production, it's probably the best route? That being said, it's definitely a long-term and higher priority if there is no conflict with anyone being able to stream and produce. I say ideally because we are operating in a fog of war situation, I certainly don't understand what's going to happen and how this business will play out, I'm only speculating but for example in CS:GO restreamers of a major were given copyright infringement notices and temporarily banned because the tournament organizers claimed they owned the broadcasting rights even though they are not the publisher (Valve) and that you can watch the matches in the in-game client.

ASL is in fact just AfreecaStarleauge masquerading as a sponsor that essentially incubates the BroodWar talent pool within it's streaming ecosystem for a game it did not create or have the rights to. I don't want to cast shade on the organization because I do not know all the facts and there is a language and cultural barrier I'm just saying given the fact that StarCraft used to be the premier esport a level of skepticism and caution is warranted not withstanding all the positives of providing a platform for all our favorite and former players to stream, have careers, and compete still.

I personally never had much problem with Afreeca either streaming from the East coast with broadband 100/30 connection, and in-fact having just browsed again I can say they made small but consistent improvements to connectivity and UI. I do know many people say they had and continue to have problems, and it's not helped that they seemingly broke the VLC method a while ago or it doesn't work for me anymore; but again It's hard to tell who "AfreecaTV" is compared to "ASL" unlike let's say KSL and Blizzard or a spotv and Kespa.
Satisfaction comes in small victories.
whaski
Profile Joined December 2012
Finland577 Posts
March 09 2021 15:08 GMT
#516
On March 09 2021 23:09 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2021 21:59 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
On March 09 2021 21:30 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
Ideally we get exclusive english restreams with commentary and vods.
Why would that be ideal? Why would you want an English stream to be exclusive? Let anybody who can cast in English cast, not just one person, just like it was in the past and now. Why would you want the future to be restricted?

Anyways, I just watched ASL11 wildcard live at source 1080p, no problem.


I believe it's fair to say we've been operating under sheer speculation. I don't want an exclusive english stream, I think in terms of business and productivity as well as professionalism it's better to have an exclusive stream on Twitch with the likes of Tastosis for example, but for every person who enjoys Tastosis there are some who don't, others who don't care, and a lot of people who wouldn't be driven to BW without.

Within the context of viewership and production, it's probably the best route? That being said, it's definitely a long-term and higher priority if there is no conflict with anyone being able to stream and produce. I say ideally because we are operating in a fog of war situation, I certainly don't understand what's going to happen and how this business will play out, I'm only speculating but for example in CS:GO restreamers of a major were given copyright infringement notices and temporarily banned because the tournament organizers claimed they owned the broadcasting rights even though they are not the publisher (Valve) and that you can watch the matches in the in-game client.

ASL is in fact just AfreecaStarleauge masquerading as a sponsor that essentially incubates the BroodWar talent pool within it's streaming ecosystem for a game it did not create or have the rights to. I don't want to cast shade on the organization because I do not know all the facts and there is a language and cultural barrier I'm just saying given the fact that StarCraft used to be the premier esport a level of skepticism and caution is warranted not withstanding all the positives of providing a platform for all our favorite and former players to stream, have careers, and compete still.

I personally never had much problem with Afreeca either streaming from the East coast with broadband 100/30 connection, and in-fact having just browsed again I can say they made small but consistent improvements to connectivity and UI. I do know many people say they had and continue to have problems, and it's not helped that they seemingly broke the VLC method a while ago or it doesn't work for me anymore; but again It's hard to tell who "AfreecaTV" is compared to "ASL" unlike let's say KSL and Blizzard or a spotv and Kespa.



I take you didnt watch BW 2013-2015?
it's not just a music it's something else
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
March 09 2021 15:28 GMT
#517
Having an exclusive english stream would be quite silly. Leaving it open to be casted by anyone who is interested is the best approach.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
WaldosLonelyWife
Profile Joined December 2011
United States20 Posts
March 09 2021 15:53 GMT
#518
On March 10 2021 00:08 whaski wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2021 23:09 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
On March 09 2021 21:59 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
On March 09 2021 21:30 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
Ideally we get exclusive english restreams with commentary and vods.
Why would that be ideal? Why would you want an English stream to be exclusive? Let anybody who can cast in English cast, not just one person, just like it was in the past and now. Why would you want the future to be restricted?

Anyways, I just watched ASL11 wildcard live at source 1080p, no problem.


I believe it's fair to say we've been operating under sheer speculation. I don't want an exclusive english stream, I think in terms of business and productivity as well as professionalism it's better to have an exclusive stream on Twitch with the likes of Tastosis for example, but for every person who enjoys Tastosis there are some who don't, others who don't care, and a lot of people who wouldn't be driven to BW without.

Within the context of viewership and production, it's probably the best route? That being said, it's definitely a long-term and higher priority if there is no conflict with anyone being able to stream and produce. I say ideally because we are operating in a fog of war situation, I certainly don't understand what's going to happen and how this business will play out, I'm only speculating but for example in CS:GO restreamers of a major were given copyright infringement notices and temporarily banned because the tournament organizers claimed they owned the broadcasting rights even though they are not the publisher (Valve) and that you can watch the matches in the in-game client.

ASL is in fact just AfreecaStarleauge masquerading as a sponsor that essentially incubates the BroodWar talent pool within it's streaming ecosystem for a game it did not create or have the rights to. I don't want to cast shade on the organization because I do not know all the facts and there is a language and cultural barrier I'm just saying given the fact that StarCraft used to be the premier esport a level of skepticism and caution is warranted not withstanding all the positives of providing a platform for all our favorite and former players to stream, have careers, and compete still.

I personally never had much problem with Afreeca either streaming from the East coast with broadband 100/30 connection, and in-fact having just browsed again I can say they made small but consistent improvements to connectivity and UI. I do know many people say they had and continue to have problems, and it's not helped that they seemingly broke the VLC method a while ago or it doesn't work for me anymore; but again It's hard to tell who "AfreecaTV" is compared to "ASL" unlike let's say KSL and Blizzard or a spotv and Kespa.



I take you didnt watch BW 2013-2015?


Was there much of a BW scene in 2013-2015? At first glance I couldn't answer your question until I look at the Wikipedia history for StarCraft2 Proleague. Hard to believe in retrospect SC2 came out in 2010 and players played both games. "StarCraft II came into place for the 2012 – 2013 season" "OnGameNet stopped broadcasting Proleague starting the 2013 – 2014 season, leaving SPOTVGames as the sole broadcaster for the league" and then Kespa discontinued.

I don't really understand your question? What happened in 2013-2015? I was certainly watching from WoL up until Hots, but around Hots I would say I lost interest in SC2. It's kind of ironic pivoting to SC2 which was unintentional since I don't want to answer your question, but I'll stop rambling to say I always consider BW>SC2 in every way and to clarify I learned of TL probably 07-09, and then got acquainted with the pro scene from there, definitely not an individual who was in on the glory days.
Satisfaction comes in small victories.
Lorch
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany3711 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-09 16:02:06
March 09 2021 16:01 GMT
#519
On March 10 2021 00:53 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2021 00:08 whaski wrote:
On March 09 2021 23:09 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
On March 09 2021 21:59 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
On March 09 2021 21:30 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
Ideally we get exclusive english restreams with commentary and vods.
Why would that be ideal? Why would you want an English stream to be exclusive? Let anybody who can cast in English cast, not just one person, just like it was in the past and now. Why would you want the future to be restricted?

Anyways, I just watched ASL11 wildcard live at source 1080p, no problem.


I believe it's fair to say we've been operating under sheer speculation. I don't want an exclusive english stream, I think in terms of business and productivity as well as professionalism it's better to have an exclusive stream on Twitch with the likes of Tastosis for example, but for every person who enjoys Tastosis there are some who don't, others who don't care, and a lot of people who wouldn't be driven to BW without.

Within the context of viewership and production, it's probably the best route? That being said, it's definitely a long-term and higher priority if there is no conflict with anyone being able to stream and produce. I say ideally because we are operating in a fog of war situation, I certainly don't understand what's going to happen and how this business will play out, I'm only speculating but for example in CS:GO restreamers of a major were given copyright infringement notices and temporarily banned because the tournament organizers claimed they owned the broadcasting rights even though they are not the publisher (Valve) and that you can watch the matches in the in-game client.

ASL is in fact just AfreecaStarleauge masquerading as a sponsor that essentially incubates the BroodWar talent pool within it's streaming ecosystem for a game it did not create or have the rights to. I don't want to cast shade on the organization because I do not know all the facts and there is a language and cultural barrier I'm just saying given the fact that StarCraft used to be the premier esport a level of skepticism and caution is warranted not withstanding all the positives of providing a platform for all our favorite and former players to stream, have careers, and compete still.

I personally never had much problem with Afreeca either streaming from the East coast with broadband 100/30 connection, and in-fact having just browsed again I can say they made small but consistent improvements to connectivity and UI. I do know many people say they had and continue to have problems, and it's not helped that they seemingly broke the VLC method a while ago or it doesn't work for me anymore; but again It's hard to tell who "AfreecaTV" is compared to "ASL" unlike let's say KSL and Blizzard or a spotv and Kespa.



I take you didnt watch BW 2013-2015?


Was there much of a BW scene in 2013-2015? At first glance I couldn't answer your question until I look at the Wikipedia history for StarCraft2 Proleague. Hard to believe in retrospect SC2 came out in 2010 and players played both games. "StarCraft II came into place for the 2012 – 2013 season" "OnGameNet stopped broadcasting Proleague starting the 2013 – 2014 season, leaving SPOTVGames as the sole broadcaster for the league" and then Kespa discontinued.

I don't really understand your question? What happened in 2013-2015? I was certainly watching from WoL up until Hots, but around Hots I would say I lost interest in SC2. It's kind of ironic pivoting to SC2 which was unintentional since I don't want to answer your question, but I'll stop rambling to say I always consider BW>SC2 in every way and to clarify I learned of TL probably 07-09, and then got acquainted with the pro scene from there, definitely not an individual who was in on the glory days.


Sonic Starleague
Pretty much the core of BW during the "dark age" (aka when blizzard/kespa forced those poor boys to play sc2 and before ASL started)
whaski
Profile Joined December 2012
Finland577 Posts
March 09 2021 16:24 GMT
#520
On March 10 2021 00:53 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2021 00:08 whaski wrote:
On March 09 2021 23:09 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
On March 09 2021 21:59 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
On March 09 2021 21:30 WaldosLonelyWife wrote:
Ideally we get exclusive english restreams with commentary and vods.
Why would that be ideal? Why would you want an English stream to be exclusive? Let anybody who can cast in English cast, not just one person, just like it was in the past and now. Why would you want the future to be restricted?

Anyways, I just watched ASL11 wildcard live at source 1080p, no problem.


I believe it's fair to say we've been operating under sheer speculation. I don't want an exclusive english stream, I think in terms of business and productivity as well as professionalism it's better to have an exclusive stream on Twitch with the likes of Tastosis for example, but for every person who enjoys Tastosis there are some who don't, others who don't care, and a lot of people who wouldn't be driven to BW without.

Within the context of viewership and production, it's probably the best route? That being said, it's definitely a long-term and higher priority if there is no conflict with anyone being able to stream and produce. I say ideally because we are operating in a fog of war situation, I certainly don't understand what's going to happen and how this business will play out, I'm only speculating but for example in CS:GO restreamers of a major were given copyright infringement notices and temporarily banned because the tournament organizers claimed they owned the broadcasting rights even though they are not the publisher (Valve) and that you can watch the matches in the in-game client.

ASL is in fact just AfreecaStarleauge masquerading as a sponsor that essentially incubates the BroodWar talent pool within it's streaming ecosystem for a game it did not create or have the rights to. I don't want to cast shade on the organization because I do not know all the facts and there is a language and cultural barrier I'm just saying given the fact that StarCraft used to be the premier esport a level of skepticism and caution is warranted not withstanding all the positives of providing a platform for all our favorite and former players to stream, have careers, and compete still.

I personally never had much problem with Afreeca either streaming from the East coast with broadband 100/30 connection, and in-fact having just browsed again I can say they made small but consistent improvements to connectivity and UI. I do know many people say they had and continue to have problems, and it's not helped that they seemingly broke the VLC method a while ago or it doesn't work for me anymore; but again It's hard to tell who "AfreecaTV" is compared to "ASL" unlike let's say KSL and Blizzard or a spotv and Kespa.



I take you didnt watch BW 2013-2015?


Was there much of a BW scene in 2013-2015? At first glance I couldn't answer your question until I look at the Wikipedia history for StarCraft2 Proleague. Hard to believe in retrospect SC2 came out in 2010 and players played both games. "StarCraft II came into place for the 2012 – 2013 season" "OnGameNet stopped broadcasting Proleague starting the 2013 – 2014 season, leaving SPOTVGames as the sole broadcaster for the league" and then Kespa discontinued.

I don't really understand your question? What happened in 2013-2015? I was certainly watching from WoL up until Hots, but around Hots I would say I lost interest in SC2. It's kind of ironic pivoting to SC2 which was unintentional since I don't want to answer your question, but I'll stop rambling to say I always consider BW>SC2 in every way and to clarify I learned of TL probably 07-09, and then got acquainted with the pro scene from there, definitely not an individual who was in on the glory days.



On those days it was luxury even watch ex-pros play. There were a lot of small tourneys that produced awesome games and storylines (Sea vs Killer, return of Bisu, Alphago etc) but for most part we had to use restreams, additional scripts etc to even watch laddergames. In this enviroment Afreeca gave players generous streaming deals (acording likes of Bisu and Sea). Finally VANT starleague started the ASL-era. I just feel that everyone takes this way too far without knowing how there was great scene without english casts or streams. And moreover it should not taken granted. For me it is the players you should be watching but whatever I quess.
it's not just a music it's something else
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 28 38 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 113
TKL 19
CranKy Ducklings18
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinELIVE!
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM808
IndyStarCraft 151
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 808
Lowko500
mouzHeroMarine 276
IndyStarCraft 151
Rex 28
MindelVK 24
TKL 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 46573
Free 4458
Jaedong 1374
BeSt 584
Horang2 397
Soulkey 387
Soma 292
Zeus 245
Hyun 225
Last 144
[ Show more ]
sorry 129
Pusan 84
Mind 81
Shinee 58
Sexy 38
Yoon 37
soO 30
Aegong 18
scan(afreeca) 16
yabsab 16
ToSsGirL 15
Sacsri 12
zelot 10
Dota 2
Gorgc5556
Dendi622
XaKoH 430
canceldota45
Counter-Strike
byalli735
Other Games
gofns26835
singsing2195
Coldzera 693
B2W.Neo505
Pyrionflax288
ToD137
QueenE1
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV233
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 17
• StrangeGG 14
• Gemini_19 13
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV428
League of Legends
• Jankos3439
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
4h 52m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 52m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 52m
Patches Events
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
OSC
1d 23h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.