• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:29
CEST 11:29
KST 18:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8214 users

BW For Life! or Helping BW Thrive - Page 2

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
maltey
Profile Joined August 2011
United States38 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-28 03:13:21
April 28 2012 03:12 GMT
#21
On April 28 2012 11:49 TBone- wrote:
If there was something that the foreign brood war community could of done, I'm sure it would of happened already. This is one of the most passionate communities I've ever seen.

I would agree with you except for one thing: prior to now, there has been absolutely no demand for this. We've had Pro BW. Why would we care? Now that pro BW is likely on its last legs I think people are starting to look for other options. In addition, the technology that enables this kind of thing has only sprung up in the last couple years as well.
"Be relentlessly positive." "There's nothing cooler than being proud of what you love." --day[9]
thopol
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Japan4560 Posts
April 28 2012 03:21 GMT
#22
If Korean clans have leagues, I'll try to watch live. If they have live events or finals, I'll try to attend.
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51626 Posts
April 28 2012 03:25 GMT
#23
why don't we raise money to run something like this again..
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
ninazerg
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States7291 Posts
April 28 2012 03:28 GMT
#24
I'm going to keep bumping this thread for eternity.
"If two pregnant women get into a fist fight, it's like a mecha-battle between two unborn babies." - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Starburst
Profile Joined November 2011
United States108 Posts
April 28 2012 03:42 GMT
#25
On April 28 2012 10:31 maltey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 09:57 Starburst wrote:
I'd be down to help. Ozzie, we could go to SK and track down the heads of the clans xd (this is morely btw). I like the idea of streams but i dont know how we could coordinate with the koreans.


Yeah I'm thinking the language barrier is the primary problem right now. We do have a couple of people who can act as go-betweens--Optical Shot and SNM immediately come to mind and I'm sure there's many more.

So if we want to establish a Korean Amateur/International Community to support amateur StarLeagues/ProLeagues we need:+ Show Spoiler +

1. Somewhere on the web to congregate/organize.
a. Hopefully TL cause I love this site but maybe we need something special as I wouldn't want koreans to be forced to use English. Is this an actual problem or all in my head?

2. Translators.
a. A bunch if possible.

3. An established way of funding the Leagues.
a. Paypal, kickstarter, crowdfunding, afreeca, twitch/google advertising etc

4. An established way of streaming.
a. Maybe twitch/own3d won't work very well for Koreans?

5. An Organization
a. Probably one with by-laws to establish responsibilities; deal with problems; etc.
b. Right now I'm picturing something entirely community operated. And totally not-for-profit so that all funds go to the League and community. Hopefully entirely volunteers.


I'm actually going into my third semester of Korean, so I can speak a decent amount if that helps.
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
April 28 2012 03:54 GMT
#26
On April 28 2012 12:42 Starburst wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 10:31 maltey wrote:
On April 28 2012 09:57 Starburst wrote:
I'd be down to help. Ozzie, we could go to SK and track down the heads of the clans xd (this is morely btw). I like the idea of streams but i dont know how we could coordinate with the koreans.


Yeah I'm thinking the language barrier is the primary problem right now. We do have a couple of people who can act as go-betweens--Optical Shot and SNM immediately come to mind and I'm sure there's many more.

So if we want to establish a Korean Amateur/International Community to support amateur StarLeagues/ProLeagues we need:+ Show Spoiler +

1. Somewhere on the web to congregate/organize.
a. Hopefully TL cause I love this site but maybe we need something special as I wouldn't want koreans to be forced to use English. Is this an actual problem or all in my head?

2. Translators.
a. A bunch if possible.

3. An established way of funding the Leagues.
a. Paypal, kickstarter, crowdfunding, afreeca, twitch/google advertising etc

4. An established way of streaming.
a. Maybe twitch/own3d won't work very well for Koreans?

5. An Organization
a. Probably one with by-laws to establish responsibilities; deal with problems; etc.
b. Right now I'm picturing something entirely community operated. And totally not-for-profit so that all funds go to the League and community. Hopefully entirely volunteers.


I'm actually going into my third semester of Korean, so I can speak a decent amount if that helps.


We need someone to bridge the connection between the two community. So as long as you possess the ability to read and write in Korean, then everything is more or less settled. The Koreans can offer the inner working of their training regime. Foreigners will be able to elevate their plays even further than ICCUP. And from all these events we have seen so far, many of them have already spend fairly good amount of time in preparing for clan wars. This ‘service’ can give the team members just that bit more of advantages. I think there is definitely something that could be done to re-ignite the fizzling spark of the non-korean countries.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
EchOne
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States2906 Posts
April 28 2012 03:55 GMT
#27
I'd be happy to see something like TSL 1 or 2 again but I suppose that'd require a sponsor.
面白くない世の中, 面白くすればいいさ
dr0pship
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada520 Posts
April 28 2012 04:07 GMT
#28
BW is alive and well. Take a look under the tournament subforum and check out everything that is happening there. Even today hacklebeast had over 500 viewers in the GC finals...I think this is the best thing people can be doing for scbw (as people are organizing/running/casting foreigner tournaments.)

As far as coordinating with the amateur korean teams dont think you'll have much results there.

Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
April 28 2012 04:38 GMT
#29
On April 28 2012 13:07 9heart wrote:
BW is alive and well. Take a look under the tournament subforum and check out everything that is happening there. Even today hacklebeast had over 500 viewers in the GC finals...I think this is the best thing people can be doing for scbw (as people are organizing/running/casting foreigner tournaments.)

As far as coordinating with the amateur korean teams dont think you'll have much results there.



You'll improve your play....how is that not getting results?
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
maltey
Profile Joined August 2011
United States38 Posts
April 28 2012 04:57 GMT
#30
On April 28 2012 12:25 BLinD-RawR wrote:
why don't we raise money to run something like this again..

How in the hell did I forget about this tourney??? I remember reading about and being absurdly excited to see it but somehow I completely forgot about it between this post and the actual tourney. Thank you for the reminder. I think this would be an awesome first step (or second since this has already happened?). Now I need to go find some VODs and watch this tourney.

On April 28 2012 12:42 Starburst wrote:
I'm actually going into my third semester of Korean, so I can speak a decent amount if that helps.

When it comes to community efforts even the tiniest bit can be a huge help, but what you're offering is actually instrumental to this idea so tyvm sir. :D

On April 28 2012 13:07 9heart wrote:
BW is alive and well. Take a look under the tournament subforum and check out everything that is happening there. Even today hacklebeast had over 500 viewers in the GC finals...I think this is the best thing people can be doing for scbw (as people are organizing/running/casting foreigner tournaments.)

As far as coordinating with the amateur korean teams dont think you'll have much results there.

You're quite right, but I think it would be a really good thing to get the Koreans and the rest of the world together. Can you imagine a Gambit Cup (or something similar) with the by clan participating?? Maybe that's not what people want and if that's the case please post your feelings/concerns.


I'll be updating the OP shortly.
"Be relentlessly positive." "There's nothing cooler than being proud of what you love." --day[9]
hacklebeast
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5090 Posts
April 28 2012 05:38 GMT
#31
On April 28 2012 12:55 EchOne wrote:
I'd be happy to see something like TSL 1 or 2 again but I suppose that'd require a sponsor.


You should check out ISL tomorrow then.
Protoss: Best, Paralyze, Jangbi, Nal_Ra || Terran: Oov, Boxer, Fantasy, Hiya|| Zerg: Yellow, Zero
Game
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3191 Posts
April 28 2012 06:13 GMT
#32
On April 28 2012 12:55 EchOne wrote:
I'd be happy to see something like TSL 1 or 2 again but I suppose that'd require a sponsor.

Like This?
SC is like sex. You should play often, but never too hard. And you should only try hard when it matters.
Sinedd
Profile Joined July 2008
Poland7052 Posts
April 28 2012 07:15 GMT
#33
nice !
T H C makes ppl happy
maltey
Profile Joined August 2011
United States38 Posts
April 28 2012 08:03 GMT
#34
Updated OP. I would greatly appreciate more feedback. Am I taking this in the right direction?

On April 28 2012 15:13 Game wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 12:55 EchOne wrote:
I'd be happy to see something like TSL 1 or 2 again but I suppose that'd require a sponsor.

Like This?


The OP now starts off with a disclaimer so that people don't get the wrong idea. I'm sure EchOne wasn't the only one. My original OP was terrible and confusing. The new one is slightly less so i hope.
"Be relentlessly positive." "There's nothing cooler than being proud of what you love." --day[9]
Game
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3191 Posts
April 28 2012 08:08 GMT
#35
As far as foreign and Korean collaboration, I'm sure a few people who work with me can confirm (without details obviously) that I am in the process of acquiring the funds to do that right now. Not the same as the OP, but along the lines.
SC is like sex. You should play often, but never too hard. And you should only try hard when it matters.
kjwcj
Profile Joined November 2011
Australia1064 Posts
April 28 2012 08:38 GMT
#36
Before trying to do anything with the Koreans, you have to accept that you're never going to get them off Afreeca entirely. The main reason for this is that the return per viewer on Afreeca, by way of the balloon donation system, is so much greater than that of Twitch or its competitors.

For example, HiyA broadcasts to an average audience of 500-600 people 5-6 nights a week. By the standards of an SC2 or LoL stream on Twitch, this is small potatoes. However, HiyA receives enough donations from this relatively small viewer base to earn a decent living. This is the case for any number of other ex-pro broadcasters who also rarely attract more than 600 viewers but are still able to make streaming Starcraft their full time occupation.

Obviously, there are possible compromises. In the past, Nada has dual broadcasted to Afreeca and Twitch by running Xsplit and the Afreeca Broadcasting software in tandem. This is a decent alternative as it would allow the players to earn something from their foreign audience through Twitch ad revenue without cutting them off from their normal Korean audience. The effort to get something like that set up could potentially be a barrier for entry, as well as actually finding someone to show these guys how to set everything up.

Something that is probably a little bit more straightforward is simply having them come to us. A few hundred thousand won (ie. a few hundred USD) is a normal prize pool for a 1-2 day event featuring all the top ex and semi pro players. For a longer ISL scale event two million won (a bit less than two thousand USD) has been a rough average for the tournaments I've seen in the past six months. Obviously these aren't small amounts of money for just one person to be stumping up but they're not that different to the prize pools that we see in foreign events, so with a mix of sponsorship and donations it might be possible.

The logistics involved in organising a tournament with mainly or all Korean players has a lot of difficulties and not just those related to the language barrier. Simply having the connections to get in contact with the players you want to invite has its potential difficulties, as well as organising a way for the games to be played at a time that is reasonable for both the players and the audience. Replay casts are very uncommon in the Korean amateur tournaments I've seen and keeping the results of games private until the broadcast would be especially difficult given the fact that almost every player streams their FPV during tournament games.

Simply put, it is easily within the power of the existing BW community to put together something worthy of the absolute best that the Korean amateur scene has to offer. The difficulty is in actually making the connection and having them know (and care) that we're here.

+ Show Spoiler [Shield Clan League] +
On April 28 2012 10:50 Kergy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 08:34 maltey wrote:
IMO the Korean clans(n.Die, Neo.G, sea, shield, white, by, etc) are going to be the key to keeping extremely high quality BW going if KeSPA completely switches to SC2. (Though I'm still hoping that doesn't happen) Does anyone know what the Korean clans are planning?


Shield is already playing SC2.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=309945


Shield is still an active BW clan and have run two West clan leagues this year. There are even VODs!
Writer
Starburst
Profile Joined November 2011
United States108 Posts
April 28 2012 09:45 GMT
#37
I'm in. I'll help however I can as long as it doesn't screw with my classes. Nice update, btw.
quuad
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Sweden77 Posts
April 28 2012 10:36 GMT
#38
Sweet!

I'd love to help. I'd definitely be willing to donate prize pool money for an event featuring top korean amatuers and/or foreigners!

Also, for a big event I could make a cool teaser/intro video (I'm a 3d artist/animator). Think TSL4 teaser, or something in that vein. I could also help with other types of graphics, if needed.

BW 4 life!
_Animus_
Profile Joined February 2011
Bulgaria1064 Posts
April 28 2012 12:03 GMT
#39
maltey you are a starter of an amazing cause, great timing man! :D
I like the idea with 10 min delayed stream tournaments and camera to the players and i think our community is big enough to support this, the thing is that we must act together and give full support to it.
My personal opinion is that the first priority is to inform koreans and the world about us and our plans and to start working together, before all the clans switch to sc2 (lol). Anyways im sure there will be the same ideas from Korean bw community and i think they will be better organised, so if we manage to work together we can be real strength! If we let bw proscene to go completely down it will be much harder to rise again so there is no time for delay.
Also i suggest contacting some people like Day9 and other famous bw veterans, i bet they still has bw in their hearts and they can cause great impact on the idea.
Thats my first thoughts, hope its not too dumb and people be sure of one thing WE CAN DO THIS!
Luv ya BroodWar!
Abjurer
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Sweden213 Posts
April 28 2012 12:41 GMT
#40
Would love to see more collaboration between us foreigners and the korean amateur scene! Just having some korean streams showing up in the right sidebar would be a step in the right direction!
bw<3 cj<3
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 7988
Rain 3592
Leta 2445
Soulkey 404
Soma 335
BeSt 302
soO 259
Rush 231
firebathero 169
Barracks 154
[ Show more ]
Stork 130
Sexy 65
Killer 37
Shinee 34
Shine 27
Sacsri 18
Hm[arnc] 17
HiyA 17
Sharp 15
sorry 12
yabsab 11
Noble 7
zelot 6
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Gorgc3991
XcaliburYe186
League of Legends
JimRising 496
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King62
Other Games
gofns28303
WinterStarcraft686
singsing456
Pyrionflax187
Sick153
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV193
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 66
• Sammyuel 46
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2210
• WagamamaTV0
League of Legends
• Jankos2443
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
31m
Patches Events
5h 31m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 31m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 31m
OSC
13h 31m
OSC
1d 2h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.