• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:28
CEST 04:28
KST 11:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9382 users

Everybody should play a little SC2 - Page 8

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 19 Next All
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
January 27 2012 18:38 GMT
#141
I play both games, playing bw a little bit more. The thing with SC2 and BW is that both games have different flavors and gameplay. BW is more about being mechanically adept, whereas SC2 is more about decision making and game awareness. However, the only thing that SC2 has helped me with BW is map awareness simply because of how fast units die in SC2. If you don't keep awareness of your main army and it gets engaged, you will lose it, especially as a zerg player. I'm not saying that SC2 is bad, but BW for me has more rewarding gameplay.
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
Artunit
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Philippines400 Posts
January 27 2012 18:46 GMT
#142
@ C- level you still have much to experience. That's all.
NrT.Artunit
garbanzo
Profile Joined October 2009
United States4046 Posts
January 27 2012 18:58 GMT
#143
I'm sorry I didn't read your response to Pholon quite yet, but I agree with a lot of his points. I think the primary thought is that you have no clear concept of the audience. I think a fair assumption to have is that the population of players with some BW background are as follows (from largest to smallest): 1. Fans who loved playing BW, were excited about SC2, tried playing SC2, and are now playing SC2 predominantly; 2. Fans who loved playing BW, were excited about SC2, tried playing SC2 (for some amount of time), but is still playing BW predominantly; 3. Fans who loved playing BW, didn't try out SC2 (for one reason or another), and still play BW predominantly. Of course these aren't exclusive sets entirely. I think there are people who are kinda in between group 1 and group 2 so they play both games. The point is that you are trying to appeal to groups 2 and 3, so you have to know why they went back or never left BW to begin with.

I think for the majority of the people in those groups most of the reasons you have chosen are exactly why they don't play SC2, i.e. too focused on a single engagement, mechanically easier. I think you make some good arguments about how BW is more "relaxing" and how SC2 is more "exciting" with the possible range of strategies because of their respective ages of maturity. It would also help to point out the changes SC2 has gone through since they last played it (whenever that may be).

I'm happy that you actually made a good attempt at making a reasonable post in the BW forum to complement the post in the SC2 forum. I think there could be more though.

For transparency, I belong in the first group. And the reason why I like playing SC2 more is because it's more relaxing and more casual. Playing BW is damn scary and difficult.
Even during difficult times, when I sat down to play the game, there were times where it felt like god has descended down and played [for me].
Yodo
Profile Joined March 2010
Russian Federation327 Posts
January 27 2012 19:07 GMT
#144
I did get the occasional win against people like White-Ra and Strelok (which never could have happened in BW ;-)

Basically it proves that SC2 is no skill game. The difference between players is minimal, you can constantly see how top player will die to random no-namer. Yes SC2 is more interesting for low-level players as they have much more time to think about strategy, which allows them to play RTS and not mouse training program. But it is irrelevant on high levels. BW has much more space for skill to grow, which leads to a great diversity in play-style and stronger players can't be swiped by a lucky noob. Can you call it call it e-sport when you need mere 2 month to hit the top and still can't be sure to get stability in results?
I prefer to be D level BW player than SC2's Master. Maybe in 5 years things will change and game would be patched and refined, but with current market flow I bet it would be under the pile of dust from WarCraft4, SC3 or any other new-and-shiny "awesome" game.
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
January 27 2012 19:09 GMT
#145
I need to clear up something:

On January 28 2012 02:51 Facultyadjutant wrote:
Was going to write something constructive but wow...
Sc2 forum is a hyped conformist idiocy
meanwhile
bw forums is an elitist circlejerk
Everyone should play a little bit of sc2, and everyone should play some bw.

User was warned for this post


I wanred this guy cause of the words "idiocy" and "circlejerk", it's no use defiling a decent topic like that. Then I wondered where did he get the "bw elitist" part from. The overall responses appear to what I think is a genuine effort from the OP seem to be "thanks for the heads up, but most of us already did try". Nothing elitist about that. You see if you get it into your head that every SC2 related thread is going to turn out as some flamewar then, yes, it will become one. In that light I actually discovered I find both these posts horrible:

On January 28 2012 01:24 DyEnasTy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2012 01:00 Taekwon wrote:
...I read it. I can't believe I read all of this.

Did anyone else throw up a little?...


*cleaningvomitoffface* yeah a litttle.

I play both. But I dont think this thread was necessary.


Manner up yo.
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
_Quasar_
Profile Joined October 2010
Russian Federation4405 Posts
January 27 2012 19:11 GMT
#146
Everybody should play a little SC2

Why? It's not a trolling, but I seriously don't understand why.

You can get some experience and new insight in BW if you do just anything. For example if you play chess. You can suddenly have a new idea.

And about build-orders and position. I always had the manner of thinking myself and experimentation, and figuring out WHY those builds are used and those tactical tricks are used. And whole reps.ru forum is all about this too. It's just normal not to be conservative.
For the Swarm!!! Jaedong & Neo_G.Soulkey fan.
zanderfever.TV
Profile Joined March 2010
United States362 Posts
January 27 2012 19:15 GMT
#147
Bravo! Both games are great and feed into each other. Thank you for making the counterpart to my thread, i'm flattered, pleased, and respect you for doing that which too many people say is bad. And, you did it well. Thank you
therockmanxx
Profile Joined July 2010
Peru1174 Posts
January 27 2012 19:17 GMT
#148
u mean like a casual gamer??
Because thats the only way I could like it
Tekken ProGamer
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-27 19:21:33
January 27 2012 19:20 GMT
#149
Yup. I've played it. Actually, I'm pretty sure I came out of lurking TL to join in the hype when Blizzard was revealing new units. Played it in Beta, recruited 4-5 of my friends/ relatives and we all played it, but slowly we've all stopped playing for a variety of reasons. For me, at first it was because after one patch, SC2 started lagging like crazy on my poor laptop. But by the time I got an excellent computer, I had re-fallen in love with BW and there was no looking back. And now everyone I recruited is either back to BW or moved on to different games.

But I still follow State of the Game and certain SC2 tournaments that fit my schedule- unless Sayle is casting at the same time.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
mansa
Profile Joined May 2011
Philippines336 Posts
January 27 2012 19:21 GMT
#150
I play SC2 sometimes.. If you count custom maps...

Honestly though Sc2 is a good game and I think that people should have at least touched it. Its the only modern RTS that has the employed the classic RTS mechanics. Though I doubt that I will be ever be into the competitive scene as I am a BW elitist and all.... >.<
LEGAsee
Profile Joined January 2010
170 Posts
January 27 2012 19:39 GMT
#151
On January 28 2012 02:10 Percutio wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2012 02:03 KenNage wrote:
On January 28 2012 01:40 BLinD-RawR wrote:
On January 28 2012 01:30 KenNage wrote:
On January 28 2012 01:23 Mazaire wrote:
As someone who is not form BW, just reading this thread, I felt it could have been better implemented. Thing is, Sc2 is a game that is very much still in its infancy. Unlike brood war which is 10 (11?) years old now, it hasn't had the time to be balanced, worked out and made more interesting to an extent. The game is still waiting two more expansions so who knows what will happen between now and then. So i feel that though the generally BW community should give it a chance, even though objectively BW may be a whole lot more fun to play.

One of the threads that makes me violently ill is the elephant in the room thread. That thread was written off the back of a couple of months of REALLY bad pro performance/games and basically is a thread that bashes SC2 and its players. But by comparison BW players were barely figuring out how to use hotkeys and work out mechanics. Give SC2 another 8 years and 2 expansions and i get the feeling that the feel of the game will be more worked out as well, which is the general feel i am getting from the majority of posters.

Tldr: The Op was poorly implemented because SC2 is no where mature as BW yet. Time will tell.


another give it 10 more years to be a good game? i wonder how many times ive read this, the sad thing is that ppl dont realize that this statement is wrong.


personally I do feel like we should give it time because we can't really judge and unfinished product,but at the same time I feel that its not going to make that much of a difference because the way the design of the game is going.


i agree with give it time but, i cant help but feel weird about this kind of posts, i mean come on the guy doesnt even know when bw was released, if u gonna post in the bw forum at least get your facts right if u gonna give a statement like this, (it may sound rude but i dont know to put it different) and most sc2 ppl assume that bw has been patched countless times thought his 13 years, when in fact the last balance patch was in 2001-05-18, the following were just bug fixes and alike. also at this point, i mean in terms of release date wise, we didnt even had the replay function at this point ! which also came with the 1.08 Patch in 2001-05-18, this should be kind of sticky thing ahah , i mean if they gonna say "bw had 10+ years to balance ! give sc2 time!" they are mixing this up, because race balance and game development through years of playing are different things

But at the same time vanilla SC had hilariously bad balance and play and Brood War went on to change that.


I'm pretty sure Blizzard already had the expansion done before the original game was released, just like with diablo 2 and its expansion so it's not like they unfucked the game with anything besides...3? balance patches. The expansions for sc2 are being tacked onto an already finished product that had to be semi balanced in its form so it could stand on its own for the 2+ years until the next expansion. How many Balance patches did sc2 have already, anyway? it's got to be like 100 -.- .(yes I included beta, where the players did blizzards job for them).
Brood War has been a part of our lives for the last 12 years. No, we don't want change.
HaFnium
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United Kingdom1078 Posts
January 27 2012 19:51 GMT
#152
I have played sc2 beta and first month.. Was free for 1 month in my place. But the price is just too steep for me, especially if you consider the expansion. I think the majority of the bw posters here have played some sc2. Geez I remember how hyped up we were and now
BW forever!
ArcTimes
Profile Joined January 2011
Peru269 Posts
January 27 2012 19:53 GMT
#153
On January 27 2012 18:51 corumjhaelen wrote:
You should play more peruvian zergs...
And personnally, as a D level zerg, Ifeel like I've died to attacks at every timing possible from the moment terran can build marine/toss can build zealot until the lategame, and I haven't played that many games...
No idea how you play midgame tvz too oO
As for sc2, if you don't mind the price, I'd advise to play some games. Not really for your reasons though.


haha yes, i hate peruvian zergs
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
January 27 2012 20:06 GMT
#154
On January 28 2012 04:53 ArcTimes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 27 2012 18:51 corumjhaelen wrote:
You should play more peruvian zergs...
And personnally, as a D level zerg, Ifeel like I've died to attacks at every timing possible from the moment terran can build marine/toss can build zealot until the lategame, and I haven't played that many games...
No idea how you play midgame tvz too oO
As for sc2, if you don't mind the price, I'd advise to play some games. Not really for your reasons though.


haha yes, i hate peruvian zergs


seriously, whats up with zergs over there man :x
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
January 27 2012 20:25 GMT
#155
On January 28 2012 04:53 ArcTimes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 27 2012 18:51 corumjhaelen wrote:
You should play more peruvian zergs...
And personnally, as a D level zerg, Ifeel like I've died to attacks at every timing possible from the moment terran can build marine/toss can build zealot until the lategame, and I haven't played that many games...
No idea how you play midgame tvz too oO
As for sc2, if you don't mind the price, I'd advise to play some games. Not really for your reasons though.


haha yes, i hate peruvian zergs

tell me about those peruvian zergs :/
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
January 27 2012 20:30 GMT
#156
howbout try a little sc2?
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
Eywa-
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada4876 Posts
January 27 2012 20:42 GMT
#157
Tried some starcraft 2, quit when I lost to 1 marauder + 1 marine... 2 Zealots and a Stalker. I may have enjoyed it more if it were balanced enough to not be played on 2 player maps, because I hate 2 player maps even in BW... Well, not that I hate them, but I hate playing ladder on them.
Being mannered is almost as important as winning. Almost...
mburke05
Profile Joined October 2010
United States130 Posts
January 27 2012 20:48 GMT
#158
i played sc2 from beta until about 2 months ago, and have been playing broodwar since.

don't plan on playing sc2 until the hots beta comes out and likely will just have a cursory look to see if its changed signifigantly, if not prob just gna keep playing broodwar. just more fun i guess, and i dont buy the whole "esports" "progamer" movement that sc2 people throw around all the time.

i play the games bc a) theyre fun and b) they make me think and act in a competitive manner. sc2 didnt really do either unfortunately, hopefully blizz makes some changes.
taitanik
Profile Joined December 2011
Latvia231 Posts
January 27 2012 20:53 GMT
#159
theres no such thing like easy game theres only easy opponent , the game is as hard as opponent makes it to be.
"the game is over only when you make it over"
-Duderino-
Profile Joined July 2011
United States80 Posts
January 27 2012 21:03 GMT
#160
I played a little sc2 and havnt yet, and maby never will, switch back to bw. IMO its the best game ever made.
The Dude abides.
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 171
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 508
NaDa 47
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm216
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9827
JimRising 826
WinterStarcraft271
ViBE110
Mew2King87
Trikslyr46
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1432
BasetradeTV368
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream131
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 106
• davetesta44
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush459
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 33m
INu's Battles
9h 33m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
12h 33m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 33m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 33m
Replay Cast
20h 33m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 8h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.