• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:39
CEST 15:39
KST 22:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8931 users

Fomos content: Stop using it - Page 25

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 30 Next All
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
June 02 2011 00:12 GMT
#481
Idk, having read fomos side I think they're being pretty fair. If they already have someone paid to translate its obnoxious to have us translate their stuff. We may be faster but it doesn't do them any good to have it read here; as far as I can tell translated material is the only draw it has to foreign fans. We steal a lot of their usefulness and more over don't they collect these articles and interviews themselves in korean before they're translated, it makes sense that they'd want something back for their original content like maybe our original content. It feels like we're trying to push fomos around :/
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
moopie
Profile Joined July 2009
12605 Posts
June 02 2011 00:14 GMT
#482
Its not so much losing the ability to translate fomos as it is losing rights to using fomos images. fomos and DES images pretty much make the entirety of TL's BW photo base (ever since nevergg retired), losing half the potential photos is a big deal. unforunate that things ended up this way.
I'm going to sleep, let me get some of that carpet.
d_so
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Korea (South)3262 Posts
June 02 2011 00:16 GMT
#483
i just dont understand why there was no "teaser + link" agreement. Like, a TL volunteer translates an article and posts it on Fomos. Then puts a teaser to the article on TL. It's pretty common practice for most gaming sites and both Fomos and TL benefit.

However, I don't think the TL Original Articles being copied over to the Fomos site is reasonable. Maybe they should have a similar teaser thing.
manner
Elroi
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden5617 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-02 00:20:09
June 02 2011 00:19 GMT
#484
Too bad they didn't want to work with TL. That was very reasonable demands from TL, I have to say.

I agree with the teaser idea. That would be a good way for the fans to stay informed and it would help both sites imo.
"To all eSports fans, I want to be remembered as a progamer who can make something out of nothing, and someone who always does his best. I think that is the right way of living, and I'm always doing my best to follow that." - Jaedong. /watch?v=jfghAzJqAp0
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
June 02 2011 00:26 GMT
#485
It is of my opinion as an objective bystander who has been active in the BW community for some time that FOMOS's demands are completely unreasonable.
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11601 Posts
June 02 2011 00:30 GMT
#486
On June 02 2011 08:36 Milkis wrote:
I dont know why people think "losing" Fomos is such a big deal. All you lose is a few featured interviews they do every once in a while. As for the main interviews, we can still use DES and their features.

Given that there's a ton of untranslated korean stuff everywhere i dont see why people think Fomos is such a big deal when there's always a lack of translators to cover everything anyway.

Also Chef: it is easy to say "oh you could just keep negotiating" if you were completely unaware of their attitude towards TeamLiquid. Just read the Fomos official statement and you should get a glimpse of what Fomos thinks of TL.



I tried googling FighterForum but apparently its gone now?
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-02 00:32:29
June 02 2011 00:31 GMT
#487
splashimage.net ?
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51693 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-02 01:37:13
June 02 2011 01:35 GMT
#488
fifo was bought out by afreeca in 2008, which these days is now known as dailyesports.
Commentator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
June 02 2011 01:53 GMT
#489
On June 02 2011 09:06 TanGeng wrote:
Granted Fomos' English site will never be a good competitor in the near future. But if they want this kind of agreement, might as contribute to their continued irrelevance. And if it just a negotiating ploy, then it's not working.


I find it difficult to believe that Fomos' English site will ever be relevant :/
Moderator
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11601 Posts
June 02 2011 02:51 GMT
#490
On June 02 2011 10:35 GTR wrote:
fifo was bought out by afreeca in 2008, which these days is now known as dailyesports.


ahh ok. that's what happened.

Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
Klogon
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
MURICA15980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-02 04:32:30
June 02 2011 03:00 GMT
#491
On June 02 2011 09:12 n.DieJokes wrote:
Idk, having read fomos side I think they're being pretty fair. If they already have someone paid to translate its obnoxious to have us translate their stuff. We may be faster but it doesn't do them any good to have it read here; as far as I can tell translated material is the only draw it has to foreign fans. We steal a lot of their usefulness and more over don't they collect these articles and interviews themselves in korean before they're translated, it makes sense that they'd want something back for their original content like maybe our original content. It feels like we're trying to push fomos around :/


Okay, this is all just purely speculation on my part...

It's easy to see why Fomos thinks they are being fair because they actually think the people they have hired to run the Global site actually use good English (otherwise, why would they hire them, right?). However, anybody who has a good grasp of the English language can see that that is clearly not the case. Need an example? Look at the statement they released and tell me with a straight face that that was good English. What our volunteers provide have been of far higher quality than what you'd find there (or most of the internet for that matter) from their paid workers. From my perspective, it is hard to imagine why they would not want free-labor (better labor) and free-exposure in the foreign market, but if Fomos did actually think their workers were doing good work, I can totally see why they think we are being unreasonable. If I had to guess, this is where we had to agreed to disagree.

Additionally, although they have ambitions of becoming a competitor to TL.net in BW coverage outside of Korea, TL has no plans to start a Korean-language website so the agreement of same-language article exchanges would not be equal. And that is ignoring the very principle that we would probably reject such a proposal no matter what. But if they thought we might be interested in expanding into their language-market, maybe they saw their proposal as being very fair as well.
nayumi
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Australia6499 Posts
June 02 2011 03:17 GMT
#492
is English translation on TL.net copyrighted, i.e can Fomos just outright copypasta our work here?
Sugoi monogatari onii-chan!
Klogon
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
MURICA15980 Posts
June 02 2011 03:20 GMT
#493
On June 02 2011 12:17 nayumi wrote:
is English translation on TL.net copyrighted, i.e can Fomos just outright copypasta our work here?

Look at the very bottom of the website.
GG.NoRe
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)1051 Posts
June 02 2011 03:38 GMT
#494
I kinda agree with Chef. Why not set a limit. They can copypasta English contents but only a certain number per month, and have the deal on an exploratory effectivity period, like 3 months, just to see how it goes and to see how far fomos is willing to push it. To the foreigners, as well as koreans who happen to look at Fomos global, the difference in quality will become obvious (between original fomos contents and one from TL) and will just lead to traffic to TL. Having it on a certain period will ensure that TL will have control eventually, in case later it finds it too disadvantageous. I dont mind the interviews as you can get them anywhere, but the real price of this imo is the contents already here in TL over the years (Nada's body, anyone).

The quota thing is impossible though.

We hope that Fomos will invest heavily in their global site so that international fans will continue to be able to enjoy their excellent Brood War coverage.


lol waxangel. sounds bitter. imo this should be revised for subtlety. hahaha
DONGJWA!
d_so
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Korea (South)3262 Posts
June 02 2011 03:55 GMT
#495
On June 02 2011 12:00 Klogon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2011 09:12 n.DieJokes wrote:
Idk, having read fomos side I think they're being pretty fair. If they already have someone paid to translate its obnoxious to have us translate their stuff. We may be faster but it doesn't do them any good to have it read here; as far as I can tell translated material is the only draw it has to foreign fans. We steal a lot of their usefulness and more over don't they collect these articles and interviews themselves in korean before they're translated, it makes sense that they'd want something back for their original content like maybe our original content. It feels like we're trying to push fomos around :/


Okay, this is all just purely speculation on my part...

It's easy to see why Fomos thinks they are being fair because they actually think the people they have hired to run the Global site actually uses good English (otherwise, why would they hire them, right?). However, anybody who has a good grasp of the English language can see that that is clearly not the case. Need an example? Look at their statement they released and tell me with a straight face that that was good English. What our volunteers provide have been of far higher quality than what you'd find there (or most of the internet for that matter) from their paid workers. From my perspective, it is hard to imagine why they would not want free-labor (better labor) and free-exposure in the foreign market, but if Fomos did actually think their workers were doing good work, I can totally see why they think we are being unreasonable. If I had to guess, this is where we had to agreed to disagree.

Additionally, although they have ambitions of becoming a competitor to TL.net in BW coverage outside of Korea, TL has no plans to start a Korean-language website so the agreement of same-language article exchanges would not be equal. And that is ignoring the very principle that we would probably reject such a proposal no matter what. But if they thought we might be interested in expanding into their language-market, maybe they saw their proposal as being very fair as well.


hey i just started translating some articles for them. I agreed to do 1 a day. Hopefully my writing suffices as "good English" but if you see some flat out badness or just plain wrong translations please PM me. I'm doing it to get some experience and to have something I can put on my resume when I apply for English Editor jobs here in Seoul.
manner
Klogon
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
MURICA15980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-02 04:19:20
June 02 2011 04:15 GMT
#496
Well if that's the case, then good luck! Hopefully there will just be more material for English speakers. I don't mean to be a downer for your motivation - it was just my personal opinion/speculation based on what I saw. But like I said, wish you the best of luck if they are indeed hiring more helping hands.
d_so
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Korea (South)3262 Posts
June 02 2011 04:25 GMT
#497
On June 02 2011 13:15 Klogon wrote:
Well if that's the case, then good luck! Hopefully there will just be more material for English speakers. I don't mean to be a downer for your motivation - it was just my personal opinion/speculation based on what I saw. But like I said, wish you the best of luck if they are indeed hiring more helping hands.


Thanks. And to be clear, TL translators are like 50x better than me always will be. Also, I'm not really "hired" so please, TeamLiquiders, don't mistake my goal as getting compensation for relatively subpar work. I just need the exp.
manner
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
June 02 2011 04:28 GMT
#498
On June 02 2011 13:25 d_so wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2011 13:15 Klogon wrote:
Well if that's the case, then good luck! Hopefully there will just be more material for English speakers. I don't mean to be a downer for your motivation - it was just my personal opinion/speculation based on what I saw. But like I said, wish you the best of luck if they are indeed hiring more helping hands.


Thanks. And to be clear, TL translators are like 50x better than me always will be. Also, I'm not really "hired" so please, TeamLiquiders, don't mistake my goal as getting compensation for relatively subpar work. I just need the exp.


Why dont you do it here then, where you'll be more appreciated and people can provide you feedback directly? =/
GG.NoRe
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)1051 Posts
June 02 2011 04:29 GMT
#499
On June 02 2011 13:28 Milkis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2011 13:25 d_so wrote:
On June 02 2011 13:15 Klogon wrote:
Well if that's the case, then good luck! Hopefully there will just be more material for English speakers. I don't mean to be a downer for your motivation - it was just my personal opinion/speculation based on what I saw. But like I said, wish you the best of luck if they are indeed hiring more helping hands.


Thanks. And to be clear, TL translators are like 50x better than me always will be. Also, I'm not really "hired" so please, TeamLiquiders, don't mistake my goal as getting compensation for relatively subpar work. I just need the exp.


Why dont you do it here then, where you'll be more appreciated and people can provide you feedback directly? =/

And be part of a cooler community
DONGJWA!
d_so
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Korea (South)3262 Posts
June 02 2011 04:33 GMT
#500
On June 02 2011 13:28 Milkis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2011 13:25 d_so wrote:
On June 02 2011 13:15 Klogon wrote:
Well if that's the case, then good luck! Hopefully there will just be more material for English speakers. I don't mean to be a downer for your motivation - it was just my personal opinion/speculation based on what I saw. But like I said, wish you the best of luck if they are indeed hiring more helping hands.


Thanks. And to be clear, TL translators are like 50x better than me always will be. Also, I'm not really "hired" so please, TeamLiquiders, don't mistake my goal as getting compensation for relatively subpar work. I just need the exp.


Why dont you do it here then, where you'll be more appreciated and people can provide you feedback directly? =/


A few reasons:

First is that I'm interested in the resume experience. Fomos is a Korean company that, if not widely recognized, is easily referable when I write my Resume. I just recently applied for an English Editor job at the Korean institute of Finance, and it became clear to me that my resume lacked any evidence of my translating ability. So when this came up, I took it (without realizing all the hate going on in the thread, I was banned so I didn't really follow).

Second is that I always felt TL had plenty of excellent translators who are faster and more skilled than me. I didnt' really want to compete with them I guess so I never felt an incentive to translate here.

Third is SuperDanielMan is a pretty cool guy when u get to meet him. And he's fucking ripped.
manner
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1032
WardiTV767
OGKoka 298
Rex147
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 289
Rex 158
ProTech135
Codebar 3
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 3028
Shuttle 1665
Horang2 1385
Jaedong 813
BeSt 772
EffOrt 651
Light 312
firebathero 287
Rush 271
Stork 254
[ Show more ]
ZerO 251
ggaemo 188
Mini 176
Zeus 94
Barracks 85
Shine 75
Killer 66
Sea.KH 54
Hyun 51
Yoon 39
ToSsGirL 33
Shinee 30
Sexy 26
Bale 25
sorry 24
Mong 24
Aegong 18
soO 17
PianO 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
Terrorterran 14
Sacsri 11
HiyA 11
zelot 9
Noble 9
yabsab 7
Icarus 7
Dota 2
qojqva3059
Dendi2153
BananaSlamJamma296
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
x6flipin424
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes408
Other Games
singsing2255
olofmeister1712
B2W.Neo837
hiko825
Lowko349
Sick241
Pyrionflax196
Liquid`VortiX159
ArmadaUGS90
Mew2King37
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream495
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 12
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH295
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2197
• Nemesis986
Other Games
• WagamamaTV264
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 21m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 21m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 21m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.