• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:14
CEST 22:14
KST 05:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6042 users

Fomos content: Stop using it - Page 19

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 30 Next All
supernovamaniac
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States3048 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-29 17:58:05
May 29 2011 17:57 GMT
#361
On May 30 2011 02:54 QuickStriker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2011 02:49 supernovamaniac wrote:
On May 30 2011 02:45 QuickStriker wrote:
On May 30 2011 02:40 supernovamaniac wrote:
On May 30 2011 02:33 QuickStriker wrote:
On May 30 2011 02:27 supernovamaniac wrote:
"Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship."

What's the exact definition of news reporting in this case?

Lol, just when I was about to reply I noticed the quick ninja edit. :D

Now in terms of news reporting, don't you think the comments or the side personal words of the OP (or the translator) count as news reporting? Sure we're using footage of another but it's not all 100% direct footage since we have even that 1% of news reporting.

And in my view, the side commentaries that OP make in beginning or end of translations or news threads and even those small "Translation Notes" that TL translators often do can definitely count as news reporting or at least "commentary" as well as "criticism" which is also ok in "fair use".


To the first bolded statement: Yes, but the news reporting would only count towards the side comments/personal words, not the translations itself. It's like saying I took Epik High's song and added 2 beats at the end that I have created, thus resulting in a new work.

In terms of criticism, they are posted along the translated content. But however, they only take the segment of the interviews/translations in order to do so. They don't copy the whole thing and then start making the comment; most people only take sections of the video/news/etc. to criticize. For example, Stephen Colbert didn't need the whole segment of the news footage from CNN to report that Bin Laden loved Nestle and Coke/Pepsi.

Sure, the commentaries and news reporting (side comments) fall under fair use. The translations, however, is in the gray area. And according to fomos, it does not fall under fair use.

In my opinion, this is all in the gray area like you said. Maybe because I never seen such unique case here nor heard of it in my mass media law or other law classes I've taken but, fair use can be taken in many different meanings and it's common practice for corporations and companies in US to take advantage of such loopholes they find or possibly something here until the fullest extent and be ok with it until the US Supreme Court or US law changes. What's to say TL can't follow what others do?

And in terms of fomos, I don't think they (Fomos) know US law nor know the whole idea of "fair use". Again I'm not 100% sure or right but seeing a Korean company In Korea know US law much more so than Korean law isn't common since they'll try to take it to only their nation's law. Except the conflict takes place in US now so US law endures.


Remember: This always depends on the country they take the legal action in. In this case, it might be where TL server is located (which is not US). But I don't see any legal action happening over this "small" case.

On May 30 2011 02:48 Artimo wrote:
I thought it was fine as long as you cite the source of your work.
i am not an expert on copyright laws and pagiarism but i honestly always thought you can do this as long as you say where the source is from etc.

this would mean that much of the literature work you do at school is subject to the same copyright laws which doesnt seem right.


What do you mean by 'literature work' in school?

I definitely checked just now and TL server is in US including its IP.

As for legal action, even if it's Korea to US, it's by the defendant area than the plaintiff no? Blizzard vs OGN/MBC/Kespa certainly took place in Korea but here, it's Fomos to TL (Korea -> US)

I'm too stupid when it comes to lawsuit shit, consult your local lawyers. (You're probably right though)
ppp
DwD
Profile Joined January 2010
Sweden8621 Posts
May 29 2011 18:00 GMT
#362
Well it sucks for us I guess but it makes sense if they want to do their own english website
Shouldn't bash them really they want visitors aswell.
~ T-ARA ~ DREAMCATCHER ~ EVERGLOW ~ OH MY GIRL ~ DIA ~ BOL4 ~ CHUNGHA ~
QuickStriker
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3694 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-29 18:04:39
May 29 2011 18:01 GMT
#363
On May 30 2011 02:57 supernovamaniac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2011 02:54 QuickStriker wrote:
On May 30 2011 02:49 supernovamaniac wrote:
On May 30 2011 02:45 QuickStriker wrote:
On May 30 2011 02:40 supernovamaniac wrote:
On May 30 2011 02:33 QuickStriker wrote:
On May 30 2011 02:27 supernovamaniac wrote:
"Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship."

What's the exact definition of news reporting in this case?

Lol, just when I was about to reply I noticed the quick ninja edit. :D

Now in terms of news reporting, don't you think the comments or the side personal words of the OP (or the translator) count as news reporting? Sure we're using footage of another but it's not all 100% direct footage since we have even that 1% of news reporting.

And in my view, the side commentaries that OP make in beginning or end of translations or news threads and even those small "Translation Notes" that TL translators often do can definitely count as news reporting or at least "commentary" as well as "criticism" which is also ok in "fair use".


To the first bolded statement: Yes, but the news reporting would only count towards the side comments/personal words, not the translations itself. It's like saying I took Epik High's song and added 2 beats at the end that I have created, thus resulting in a new work.

In terms of criticism, they are posted along the translated content. But however, they only take the segment of the interviews/translations in order to do so. They don't copy the whole thing and then start making the comment; most people only take sections of the video/news/etc. to criticize. For example, Stephen Colbert didn't need the whole segment of the news footage from CNN to report that Bin Laden loved Nestle and Coke/Pepsi.

Sure, the commentaries and news reporting (side comments) fall under fair use. The translations, however, is in the gray area. And according to fomos, it does not fall under fair use.

In my opinion, this is all in the gray area like you said. Maybe because I never seen such unique case here nor heard of it in my mass media law or other law classes I've taken but, fair use can be taken in many different meanings and it's common practice for corporations and companies in US to take advantage of such loopholes they find or possibly something here until the fullest extent and be ok with it until the US Supreme Court or US law changes. What's to say TL can't follow what others do?

And in terms of fomos, I don't think they (Fomos) know US law nor know the whole idea of "fair use". Again I'm not 100% sure or right but seeing a Korean company In Korea know US law much more so than Korean law isn't common since they'll try to take it to only their nation's law. Except the conflict takes place in US now so US law endures.


Remember: This always depends on the country they take the legal action in. In this case, it might be where TL server is located (which is not US). But I don't see any legal action happening over this "small" case.

On May 30 2011 02:48 Artimo wrote:
I thought it was fine as long as you cite the source of your work.
i am not an expert on copyright laws and pagiarism but i honestly always thought you can do this as long as you say where the source is from etc.

this would mean that much of the literature work you do at school is subject to the same copyright laws which doesnt seem right.


What do you mean by 'literature work' in school?

I definitely checked just now and TL server is in US including its IP.

As for legal action, even if it's Korea to US, it's by the defendant area than the plaintiff no? Blizzard vs OGN/MBC/Kespa certainly took place in Korea but here, it's Fomos to TL (Korea -> US)

I'm too stupid when it comes to lawsuit shit, consult your local lawyers. (You're probably right though)

But the whole difference between a typical case between two parties and this particular gray area case is this conflict all takes place on the internet. Internet is still a very vague gray area, especially when it comes down to law cases and enforcing the law. Blizzard vs Kespa took place directly person to person because the main conflict was in TV and other things. But Internet has such a huge gray area that maybe what we're saying can be all irrelevant because enforcement is harder for Internet. But that's not also saying either are absolutely correct, just saying there may be LOOPHOLES here because the conflict occurs on the Internet.
www.twitch.tv/KoreanUsher
Soap
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Brazil1546 Posts
May 29 2011 18:06 GMT
#364
Why can't we just work with DES? Their interviews are way better.

Very frustrating that Fomos screwed up first, then are claiming to protect a half-assed english implementation - half the website is in korean, the layout is very poor, the translations are awful. But move on folks.
DorF
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Sweden961 Posts
May 29 2011 18:10 GMT
#365
When I read this I just thought ... sigh
My mind is too tired of this shit to even care anymore
BW for life !
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
May 29 2011 18:14 GMT
#366
TL.net should like many have said, strike a deal with DES. That we can provide english translations for articles and etc. Then we can look back at Fomos and laugh in their faces!
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
QuickStriker
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3694 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-29 18:24:19
May 29 2011 18:23 GMT
#367
On May 30 2011 03:14 Xiphos wrote:
TL.net should like many have said, strike a deal with DES. That we can provide english translations for articles and etc. Then we can look back at Fomos and laugh in their faces!

Or we should have our own writing/reporting staff and have our own original interviews and articles, exclusively from TL.net. Then we can truly call our site, Starcraft Progaming News. :D

And of course, laugh at Fomos afterwards while we're at it!
www.twitch.tv/KoreanUsher
supernovamaniac
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States3048 Posts
May 29 2011 18:24 GMT
#368
On May 30 2011 03:23 QuickStriker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2011 03:14 Xiphos wrote:
TL.net should like many have said, strike a deal with DES. That we can provide english translations for articles and etc. Then we can look back at Fomos and laugh in their faces!

Or we should have our own writing/reporting staff and have our own original interviews and articles, exclusively from TL.net. Then we can truly call our site, Starcraft Progaming News. :D

Great idea. Let's pay someone to go to Korea and let them stay there for interviews/other stuff only.

Oh wait, those were things in the past T.T
ppp
QuickStriker
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3694 Posts
May 29 2011 18:26 GMT
#369
On May 30 2011 03:24 supernovamaniac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2011 03:23 QuickStriker wrote:
On May 30 2011 03:14 Xiphos wrote:
TL.net should like many have said, strike a deal with DES. That we can provide english translations for articles and etc. Then we can look back at Fomos and laugh in their faces!

Or we should have our own writing/reporting staff and have our own original interviews and articles, exclusively from TL.net. Then we can truly call our site, Starcraft Progaming News. :D

Great idea. Let's pay someone to go to Korea and let them stay there for interviews/other stuff only.

Oh wait, those were things in the past T.T

Sarcasm..
www.twitch.tv/KoreanUsher
Ayush_SCtoss
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
India3051 Posts
May 29 2011 18:47 GMT
#370
Meh, what a failwhale :/
If all the previous articles are removed...
There isn't even a proper reason why either :T
End my suffering
exeexe
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark937 Posts
May 29 2011 18:47 GMT
#371
Aaah greed and selfish interests.. Now you cant even translate aticles anymore ...

lolololol
-.-
And never forget, its always easier to throw a bomb downstairs than up. - George Orwell
FraCuS
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1072 Posts
May 29 2011 18:59 GMT
#372
=\ such a shame.
Apink/Girl's Day/miss A/IU/Crayon Pop/Sistar/Exo K :D l Kpop and Kdrama Enthusiast
Stratoss
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Czech Republic129 Posts
May 29 2011 19:13 GMT
#373
I find this rather sad. Although understandable, not a great way of promoting BW which should come first IMO. Both sides could flourish, instead we get a large number of upset people, that won't go over anyway.
jakechen
Profile Joined May 2010
United States17 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-29 20:25:24
May 29 2011 20:00 GMT
#374
One thing I don't understand about this mess is how FOMOS has exclusive rights to interviews? These interviews are broadcast on a television network-- right? In LR threads, I've even seen some very dedicated translators doing a rough translation live. So how does it follow that just because FOMOS copies down what the players said during these interviews, that text becomes their exclusive property?
Do they pay the TV interviewers for rights to the interviews, or are they just using the content under the auspice of "reporting"? If so, why can't TL be "reporting" as well?

Also: with respect to pictures. I completely understand that if FOMOS pays a photographer to go onsite and get nice shots, those shots are theirs to use to attract viewers. But what about TV still-frame shots? Can TL still use stills from, say, the broadcast interview, to provide visuals in their translations?

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is similar to what Quickstriker said on pg 18, but with the added query of: are these interviews really the IP of fomos, rather than the TV network, to begin with? and if they are, why? Are these fomos reporters that we see interviewing players after games? If DES is different, does that mean they have a different interview with players, conducted by a different paid interviewer? I mean, who's interview/er is it anyways?
Even though I agree that a legal battle is not likely to be what is at stake, but rather respect for fomos & their request, these details are interesting to me because I don't currently understand how fomos can even ask that these interviews be respected as theirs, when as far as I know, they are just reporting, and not creating creative content (not even providing interview commentary.) Am I just wrong? I hope someone will explain.
supernovamaniac
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States3048 Posts
May 29 2011 20:31 GMT
#375
On May 30 2011 05:00 jakechen wrote:
One thing I don't understand about this mess is how FOMOS has exclusive rights to interviews? These interviews are broadcast on a television network-- right? In LR threads, I've even seen some very dedicated translators doing a rough translation live. So how does it follow that just because FOMOS copies down what the players said during these interviews, that text becomes their exclusive property?
Do they pay the TV interviewers for rights to the interviews, or are they just using the content under the auspice of "reporting"? If so, why can't TL be "reporting" as well?

Also: with respect to pictures. I completely understand that if FOMOS pays a photographer to go onsite and get nice shots, those shots are theirs to use to attract viewers. But what about TV still-frame shots? Can TL still use stills from, say, the broadcast interview, to provide visuals in their translations?

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is similar to what Quickstriker said on pg 18, but with the added query of: are these interviews really the IP of fomos, rather than the TV network, to begin with? and if they are, why? Are these fomos reporters that we see interviewing players after games? If DES is different, does that mean they have a different interview with players, conducted by a different paid interviewer? I mean, who's interview/er is it anyways?
Even though I agree that a legal battle is not likely to be what is at stake, but rather respect for fomos & their request, these details are interesting to me because I don't currently understand how fomos can even ask that these interviews be respected as theirs, when as far as I know, they are just reporting, and not creating creative content (not even providing interview commentary.) Am I just wrong? I hope someone will explain.

Interviews are done separately. They don't take televised interviews and write down what people said on television. Though the questions are similar, they do this in the press room backstage, or in the resting area behind the stadium. They conduct the interviews themselves.

AFAIK (Milkis fix me if I'm wrong here) DES and FOMOS are in the same room as the interviews are going on. They both write down the questions from other people, as well as themselves, and the answer from the player. DES does write better, more accurate interviews than FOMOS (as fomos tends to edit some things), but the interviews contain almost same if not identical content on both websites.
ppp
jakechen
Profile Joined May 2010
United States17 Posts
May 29 2011 20:59 GMT
#376
On May 30 2011 05:31 supernovamaniac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2011 05:00 jakechen wrote:
One thing I don't understand about this mess is how FOMOS has exclusive rights to interviews? These interviews are broadcast on a television network-- right? In LR threads, I've even seen some very dedicated translators doing a rough translation live. So how does it follow that just because FOMOS copies down what the players said during these interviews, that text becomes their exclusive property?
Do they pay the TV interviewers for rights to the interviews, or are they just using the content under the auspice of "reporting"? If so, why can't TL be "reporting" as well?

Also: with respect to pictures. I completely understand that if FOMOS pays a photographer to go onsite and get nice shots, those shots are theirs to use to attract viewers. But what about TV still-frame shots? Can TL still use stills from, say, the broadcast interview, to provide visuals in their translations?

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is similar to what Quickstriker said on pg 18, but with the added query of: are these interviews really the IP of fomos, rather than the TV network, to begin with? and if they are, why? Are these fomos reporters that we see interviewing players after games? If DES is different, does that mean they have a different interview with players, conducted by a different paid interviewer? I mean, who's interview/er is it anyways?
Even though I agree that a legal battle is not likely to be what is at stake, but rather respect for fomos & their request, these details are interesting to me because I don't currently understand how fomos can even ask that these interviews be respected as theirs, when as far as I know, they are just reporting, and not creating creative content (not even providing interview commentary.) Am I just wrong? I hope someone will explain.

Interviews are done separately. They don't take televised interviews and write down what people said on television. Though the questions are similar, they do this in the press room backstage, or in the resting area behind the stadium. They conduct the interviews themselves.

AFAIK (Milkis fix me if I'm wrong here) DES and FOMOS are in the same room as the interviews are going on. They both write down the questions from other people, as well as themselves, and the answer from the player. DES does write better, more accurate interviews than FOMOS (as fomos tends to edit some things), but the interviews contain almost same if not identical content on both websites.


Thanks very much for clarifying, that was helpful to understand. So, the interviews really belong to fomos, or are perhaps jointly owned by DES and fomos (implying, I would think, that if fomos doesn't want TL using it, they wouldn't want DES letting TL use it either; and in fact, they may be on the same page with DES to begin with). I guess the follow-up question is, can translators still translate stuff from the TV broadcast, by recording the stream? I figure they haven't been doing that as much up till now because it was more convenient to get the text, but are there any legal reasons not to transcribe the TV interviews?
If not, then supposing some of the translators would be up for it (I'm betting it's more work this way), then maybe this would be a good solution...?
Ikonn
Profile Joined October 2009
Netherlands1958 Posts
May 29 2011 21:05 GMT
#377
On May 30 2011 05:59 jakechen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2011 05:31 supernovamaniac wrote:
On May 30 2011 05:00 jakechen wrote:
One thing I don't understand about this mess is how FOMOS has exclusive rights to interviews? These interviews are broadcast on a television network-- right? In LR threads, I've even seen some very dedicated translators doing a rough translation live. So how does it follow that just because FOMOS copies down what the players said during these interviews, that text becomes their exclusive property?
Do they pay the TV interviewers for rights to the interviews, or are they just using the content under the auspice of "reporting"? If so, why can't TL be "reporting" as well?

Also: with respect to pictures. I completely understand that if FOMOS pays a photographer to go onsite and get nice shots, those shots are theirs to use to attract viewers. But what about TV still-frame shots? Can TL still use stills from, say, the broadcast interview, to provide visuals in their translations?

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is similar to what Quickstriker said on pg 18, but with the added query of: are these interviews really the IP of fomos, rather than the TV network, to begin with? and if they are, why? Are these fomos reporters that we see interviewing players after games? If DES is different, does that mean they have a different interview with players, conducted by a different paid interviewer? I mean, who's interview/er is it anyways?
Even though I agree that a legal battle is not likely to be what is at stake, but rather respect for fomos & their request, these details are interesting to me because I don't currently understand how fomos can even ask that these interviews be respected as theirs, when as far as I know, they are just reporting, and not creating creative content (not even providing interview commentary.) Am I just wrong? I hope someone will explain.

Interviews are done separately. They don't take televised interviews and write down what people said on television. Though the questions are similar, they do this in the press room backstage, or in the resting area behind the stadium. They conduct the interviews themselves.

AFAIK (Milkis fix me if I'm wrong here) DES and FOMOS are in the same room as the interviews are going on. They both write down the questions from other people, as well as themselves, and the answer from the player. DES does write better, more accurate interviews than FOMOS (as fomos tends to edit some things), but the interviews contain almost same if not identical content on both websites.


Thanks very much for clarifying, that was helpful to understand. So, the interviews really belong to fomos, or are perhaps jointly owned by DES and fomos (implying, I would think, that if fomos doesn't want TL using it, they wouldn't want DES letting TL use it either; and in fact, they may be on the same page with DES to begin with). I guess the follow-up question is, can translators still translate stuff from the TV broadcast, by recording the stream? I figure they haven't been doing that as much up till now because it was more convenient to get the text, but are there any legal reasons not to transcribe the TV interviews?
If not, then supposing some of the translators would be up for it (I'm betting it's more work this way), then maybe this would be a good solution...?


I don't think there's any problem with translating DES interviews though
jakechen
Profile Joined May 2010
United States17 Posts
May 29 2011 21:38 GMT
#378
On May 30 2011 06:05 Ikonn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2011 05:59 jakechen wrote:
On May 30 2011 05:31 supernovamaniac wrote:
On May 30 2011 05:00 jakechen wrote:
One thing I don't understand about this mess is how FOMOS has exclusive rights to interviews? These interviews are broadcast on a television network-- right? In LR threads, I've even seen some very dedicated translators doing a rough translation live. So how does it follow that just because FOMOS copies down what the players said during these interviews, that text becomes their exclusive property?
Do they pay the TV interviewers for rights to the interviews, or are they just using the content under the auspice of "reporting"? If so, why can't TL be "reporting" as well?

Also: with respect to pictures. I completely understand that if FOMOS pays a photographer to go onsite and get nice shots, those shots are theirs to use to attract viewers. But what about TV still-frame shots? Can TL still use stills from, say, the broadcast interview, to provide visuals in their translations?

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is similar to what Quickstriker said on pg 18, but with the added query of: are these interviews really the IP of fomos, rather than the TV network, to begin with? and if they are, why? Are these fomos reporters that we see interviewing players after games? If DES is different, does that mean they have a different interview with players, conducted by a different paid interviewer? I mean, who's interview/er is it anyways?
Even though I agree that a legal battle is not likely to be what is at stake, but rather respect for fomos & their request, these details are interesting to me because I don't currently understand how fomos can even ask that these interviews be respected as theirs, when as far as I know, they are just reporting, and not creating creative content (not even providing interview commentary.) Am I just wrong? I hope someone will explain.

Interviews are done separately. They don't take televised interviews and write down what people said on television. Though the questions are similar, they do this in the press room backstage, or in the resting area behind the stadium. They conduct the interviews themselves.

AFAIK (Milkis fix me if I'm wrong here) DES and FOMOS are in the same room as the interviews are going on. They both write down the questions from other people, as well as themselves, and the answer from the player. DES does write better, more accurate interviews than FOMOS (as fomos tends to edit some things), but the interviews contain almost same if not identical content on both websites.


Thanks very much for clarifying, that was helpful to understand. So, the interviews really belong to fomos, or are perhaps jointly owned by DES and fomos (implying, I would think, that if fomos doesn't want TL using it, they wouldn't want DES letting TL use it either; and in fact, they may be on the same page with DES to begin with). I guess the follow-up question is, can translators still translate stuff from the TV broadcast, by recording the stream? I figure they haven't been doing that as much up till now because it was more convenient to get the text, but are there any legal reasons not to transcribe the TV interviews?
If not, then supposing some of the translators would be up for it (I'm betting it's more work this way), then maybe this would be a good solution...?


I don't think there's any problem with translating DES interviews though


Well... that's great if true, but I'm skeptical. I mean... I don't know what fomos could hope to gain from this move if DES has "almost same if not identical content" and is not of the same mind. I know people earlier in the thread have pointed DES out as a nicer alternative to fomos, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe DES is just letting fomos front this one for now, but is ready to say the same thing if it becomes necessary. Meaning, that interview translators might risk any hard work they put into a DES interview disappearing, the same way the fomos-based content is now gone. That's not necessarily a problem if you are just thinking in terms of getting up a quick interview for the fans, and are willing to use any source until you are told to stop. But I'm just imagining that if I ran TL, or if I were an translator, I'd ideally want reliable, continuous sources to build an archive/show my work. That's a lot of value to risk losing, in the long run...
supernovamaniac
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States3048 Posts
May 29 2011 23:41 GMT
#379
On May 30 2011 05:59 jakechen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2011 05:31 supernovamaniac wrote:
On May 30 2011 05:00 jakechen wrote:
One thing I don't understand about this mess is how FOMOS has exclusive rights to interviews? These interviews are broadcast on a television network-- right? In LR threads, I've even seen some very dedicated translators doing a rough translation live. So how does it follow that just because FOMOS copies down what the players said during these interviews, that text becomes their exclusive property?
Do they pay the TV interviewers for rights to the interviews, or are they just using the content under the auspice of "reporting"? If so, why can't TL be "reporting" as well?

Also: with respect to pictures. I completely understand that if FOMOS pays a photographer to go onsite and get nice shots, those shots are theirs to use to attract viewers. But what about TV still-frame shots? Can TL still use stills from, say, the broadcast interview, to provide visuals in their translations?

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is similar to what Quickstriker said on pg 18, but with the added query of: are these interviews really the IP of fomos, rather than the TV network, to begin with? and if they are, why? Are these fomos reporters that we see interviewing players after games? If DES is different, does that mean they have a different interview with players, conducted by a different paid interviewer? I mean, who's interview/er is it anyways?
Even though I agree that a legal battle is not likely to be what is at stake, but rather respect for fomos & their request, these details are interesting to me because I don't currently understand how fomos can even ask that these interviews be respected as theirs, when as far as I know, they are just reporting, and not creating creative content (not even providing interview commentary.) Am I just wrong? I hope someone will explain.

Interviews are done separately. They don't take televised interviews and write down what people said on television. Though the questions are similar, they do this in the press room backstage, or in the resting area behind the stadium. They conduct the interviews themselves.

AFAIK (Milkis fix me if I'm wrong here) DES and FOMOS are in the same room as the interviews are going on. They both write down the questions from other people, as well as themselves, and the answer from the player. DES does write better, more accurate interviews than FOMOS (as fomos tends to edit some things), but the interviews contain almost same if not identical content on both websites.


Thanks very much for clarifying, that was helpful to understand. So, the interviews really belong to fomos, or are perhaps jointly owned by DES and fomos (implying, I would think, that if fomos doesn't want TL using it, they wouldn't want DES letting TL use it either; and in fact, they may be on the same page with DES to begin with). I guess the follow-up question is, can translators still translate stuff from the TV broadcast, by recording the stream? I figure they haven't been doing that as much up till now because it was more convenient to get the text, but are there any legal reasons not to transcribe the TV interviews?
If not, then supposing some of the translators would be up for it (I'm betting it's more work this way), then maybe this would be a good solution...?

Interviews (that are posted online) belong to the respective writers/company.

If there was someone from TL in the press room translating the interviews, it's ours.
ppp
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
May 29 2011 23:57 GMT
#380
sounds like TL needs another office in seoul

tlhq2
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 769
ZombieGrub109
JuggernautJason79
Nathanias 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 580
White-Ra 177
firebathero 84
910 44
Killer 25
Trap 22
Counter-Strike
Fnx 774
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0177
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9709
crisheroes1928
Liquid`Hasu1731
Trikslyr75
Other Games
summit1g5520
Liquid`RaSZi5085
Beastyqt827
shahzam462
B2W.Neo277
IndyStarCraft 169
KnowMe132
ArmadaUGS126
Pyrionflax100
UpATreeSC60
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream331
Other Games
BasetradeTV183
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 5
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 38
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV311
League of Legends
• TFBlade999
Other Games
• imaqtpie738
• Shiphtur305
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 46m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 46m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.