• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:27
CEST 18:27
KST 01:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9120 users

Tyler v Jinro at PAX (Spoilers)

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Arisen
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2382 Posts
March 11 2011 09:13 GMT
#1
So I caught the VODs of Tyler v Jinro at PAX, and I can't help but to be excited. Tyler played AMAZING. I think Tyler is really starting to hit his stride, and he's really starting to look scary good.

That double forge style he does is super strong, and his timing in those games was phenomenal. I was digging that weird timing with this third gate to get it and the expansion up really fast, and it seem really strong. I'm guessing it's aim is to defend against a possible stim timing attack while getting his expo up safely, though if someone knows for sure I'd love to know ^^.

Tyler's unit control is pretty spot on in these games too, and in game 2 of the series, that aggressive colossus/blink timing looked so sick. Jinro played it pretty well, and Tyler still looked way scary with his micro at the choke. I can't help but to feel that if his macro didn't slip there

+ Show Spoiler +
Tyler might have 3-0'd Jinro

On Game 3 I was really digging the 2 gate blink into expand and I was really impressed with the follow through. Game 4 I thought that the pylon army cut timing was super sick too, and couldn't believe how effective it was.

So, if you haven't checked the game's out already, check them out! I can't find actual reps, but day9 has the VODs out on his blip. They're so worth the watch. Tyler and Jinro are both looking solid. Usually as a zerg I can't help but to be a protoss anti-fan, but Tyler's just looking scary good. I feel like we're seeing the same Tyler we were seeing in TSL2, just rock solid builds with great timing, and great mechanics. NonY's gonna crush some nerd's dreams in TSL3! 'Merrica!

"If you're not angry, you're not paying attention"
Naniwa
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Sweden477 Posts
March 11 2011 09:17 GMT
#2
wtf he won ladder games ? siick.

User was warned for this post
Progamer
Arisen
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2382 Posts
March 11 2011 09:19 GMT
#3
On March 11 2011 18:17 Naniwa wrote:
wtf he won ladder games ? siick.

Huh? It's from a liquid showmatch at PAX?
"If you're not angry, you're not paying attention"
Bommes
Profile Joined June 2010
Germany1226 Posts
March 11 2011 09:19 GMT
#4
Jinro looked like he had massive latency problems, which is sooo bad if you play MMM vs Protoss.

Very impressive play by Tyler nonetheless
Naniwa
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Sweden477 Posts
March 11 2011 09:20 GMT
#5
showmatches? really!? then it must be very serious.
Progamer
InRainbows
Profile Joined October 2010
United States57 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-11 09:25:01
March 11 2011 09:23 GMT
#6
nvm
super_toast
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States269 Posts
March 11 2011 11:27 GMT
#7
Tyler has always been one of the most talented Starcraft gamers out there, since BW he has always been on top for pure talent. When he's focused and has prepared well for matches he is nearly unbeatable, however he's a busy man and often he doesn't get mentally prepared for his matches, and ends up making mistakes. Raw talent mechanics and strategy wise, however, Tyler is the best of the best.
Crafting Stars has never been this sexy
.Enigma.
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden1461 Posts
March 11 2011 11:30 GMT
#8
They weren't playing at PAX, but the finals will be casted there by Day9 and Husky.
"Jupiters c*ck!" - Quintus Lentulus Batiatus
.Enigma.
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden1461 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-11 11:33:09
March 11 2011 11:32 GMT
#9
I do feel that while Tyler played really really solid, Jinro didn't really play to his full potential.

If he goes for a more passive style he should've gone mech. With that bio ball he needed to do more multi-pronged attacks and not just engage Tylers army directly. (Even though it looked hard to do on Crevasse with Tyler going for so early blink and spotting for drops)

"Jupiters c*ck!" - Quintus Lentulus Batiatus
Phayze
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2029 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-11 11:52:02
March 11 2011 11:35 GMT
#10
Tyler has been doing double forge for a long time. I think he mentioned some of the followups to the opener in one of the SOTG a month or more ago, blink was one of them. I think for alot of people this is new but if you are a protoss you have to get all of Nony's replays. He's a genius, Just needs to add on those gateways but I guess he's a perfectionist of sorts (if he cant support them with perfect macro dont get them). I've personally played double forge in about 15 or 20 PvT's and I feel it's very weak to very fast terran expos -> barracks explode, as it hits before colossus and while the terran economy is quite stronger than yours (delayed expansion due to the 3gate robo, despite 5sentries). I practiced this build quite a bit on ladder, and lost in a clan tryout to fast expo barracks explode twice in a row. I knew the build wasnt bad, and it worked against alot of styles, it just made me look like a noob. (as even day9 was taken far aback by the third gateway) You still expand at a reasonable time due to 5 sentries, and get the gateway to survive any 1base all-in (and obs). It's a very good opener but I still feel its quite weak to strong 2base T timing attacks. Ones that hit before 2/2 and before colossus. But if a T is playing quite standard, and for the later stages like Jinro was (double expos, quick third, earlier starport + factory) it's devastating as nothing can touch you before 2/2, and thats when your gateway units become quite strong.

If you are wondering the build, its gateway robo, add on 2 gateways (third gateway late), for units, you can go zealot sentry zealot, you expand off 5 sentries. Drop nexus, make units, when you can afford two forges get them. When you have more than 17 probes at your expansion minerals add a gas, and similarly when it goes back up to 17/18 add 4th gas, save chrono when the nexus pops for forges. Add 4th and 5th gateway after +1/+1 starts. Fast colossus means you have to take your third gas as the nexus finishes, but leaves you quite vulnerable.
Proud member of the LGA-1366 Core-i7 4Ghz Club
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-11 11:39:15
March 11 2011 11:38 GMT
#11
On March 11 2011 20:32 MaRkieMarK wrote:
I do feel that while Tyler played really really solid, Jinro didn't really play to his full potential.


I agree with this. I think another best of five could potentially have opposite results, because both players are such monsters.

On a different note, I had been fiddling around with throwing down one forge earlier and earlier to get upgrades, and now I'm going to be trying to sneak in a second forge early on, thanks to Tyler He definitely shows versatility, which is refreshing.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
dc302
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia576 Posts
March 11 2011 11:40 GMT
#12
the double forge tactic is pretty sick. however i find it might be susceptible to attacks after u get the upgrades going and have less army, so i guess good scouting is really needed
...
Phayze
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2029 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-11 11:44:27
March 11 2011 11:42 GMT
#13
On March 11 2011 20:40 dc302 wrote:
the double forge tactic is pretty sick. however i find it might be susceptible to attacks after u get the upgrades going and have less army, so i guess good scouting is really needed

yep barracks explodes really hurt the build I feel as I said in my post. Maps like xel'naga you can survive as you can hold the chokes with FF and cannons. I almost always put two cannons at my natural nexus (or further up by choke on xel naga) because you really have to survive early on for 3/3 to be effective. 1/1 is not that important, 2/2 IS critically important, 3/3 is icing on the cake.
Proud member of the LGA-1366 Core-i7 4Ghz Club
AimForTheBushes
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1760 Posts
March 11 2011 11:44 GMT
#14
very interesting games, though I would reiterate the notion that Jinro was dealing with some latency issues, playing from Korea. He found himself in some bad positions due to wandering too far and not reacting in time with force fields during a couple of the games. Wasn't exactly ecstatic with the dynamic of the casters however, without wanting to expand upon that..
BEARDiaguz
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Australia2362 Posts
March 11 2011 11:45 GMT
#15
Spoilers dude ><

Anyway, I feel a lot of it is because:

a) Jinro hates TvP and has little confidence in the matchup. This affects his play, probably.
b) Jinro's 1 rax FE is actually not a good build. I know this because he loses a lot with it, and so do I! On Terminus RE it's probably a good build (probably), but 1 rax FE and a lot of the variations of it are kinda balls imo. I dunno, I suppose jinro knows something about this game that I don't (most likely!), but I feel this is a bad build (is there such a thing as a good build in this mu ><)

The 1 rax FE is sort of bad because it reacts poorly to a lot of Protoss strategies, and it's near instant BO lose against 1 gate FE (The protoss has a choice of 2 extremely dangerous builds and you can only counter one of them. Either way, his collosus should be out so early it's almost unpunishable). You lose out on a lot of potential early pressure, and you'll hardly BO win while using it. TvP has a lot of this sort of thing, a BO which happens to be really strong against a certain set of builds and very bad against others. For example, a build with late observers will struggle against a cloaked banshee. DT's are DT's. 2/1/1 openings with later expansions, kind of like SjoW and QXC's aggro and harassment styles are quite vulnerable to phoenix openings. Phoenix openings, especially the really quick ones, can be vulnerable to all-ins and strong rax aggression, or if he gets ghosts unreasonably early for some reason.

But 1 rax FE doesn't seem to 'win' against anything except maybe stupid void ray play. The macro advantage you gain is counteracted by the Protoss having freedom to do what he wants and maintain a strong tech advantage. Take their game one. Tyler does a 3gate robo expansion. This SHOULD be behind against what jinro is doing, in theory, but there is no point in that game where jinro's superior economy can be brought to bear against Tyler. Perhaps there was some sort of macro mistake on jinro's part, but despite having what should theoretically be a massive macro advantage through his significantly faster 2nd and 3rd bases, he gets steamrolled.

Game 2, jinro should have lost. Tyler floating 2k, a problem easily solved by buildign some fucking gateways! Rawrgh!

Game 3, again, Jinro cannot pressure a really vulnerable build, althoguh I feel Tyler cut so many corners because he knows how impotent 1rax FE is against a handful of sentries.

Game 4 could have gone either way. Hard to tell because Jinro lost because of his bunker repair fuck up. Who knows?

I've learned a lot of this through trying this build almost every TvP I play (except xel naga and it's huge fuck-off natural, where I just rush cloaked banshees, expand, get about 6 tanks out and push, and pray to christ he doesn't have chargelots out yet because that's like the only thing that stops it. Well, most of the time) and losing to solid Macro protosses who just go "well, thanks for your absolute lack of pressure for, oh, about 11 minutes. I'ma just do the fuck I want". And then you get to lategame TvP which is extremely tough.

I dunno though. This is just what I'm feeling so far. Perhaps I'm wrong?
ProgamerAustralian alcohol user follow @iaguzSC2
Arisen
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2382 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-11 12:01:28
March 11 2011 12:00 GMT
#16
Why are people trying to downplay some great games? Just because Jinro lost doesn't somehow magically mean he's bad, the post is about how great NonY's play is. Why downplay it and just say "jinro didn't play to his potential". Regardless of if he did or not, Tyler played amazing.
"If you're not angry, you're not paying attention"
Klive5ive
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom6056 Posts
March 11 2011 12:05 GMT
#17
Tyler's timing is just so amazing.
Can't wait to see him in the NASL.
Don't hate the player - Hate the game
BEARDiaguz
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Australia2362 Posts
March 11 2011 12:28 GMT
#18
I'm not saying Tyler didn't play amazing though, btw.

He totally fucking did (except game 2's 2k mineral float ofc).

Just commenting on jinros play as a fellow Terran player.
ProgamerAustralian alcohol user follow @iaguzSC2
Pulzlulz
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Germany412 Posts
March 11 2011 12:45 GMT
#19
Are there VoDs/Streams of the game?
BEARDiaguz
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Australia2362 Posts
March 11 2011 12:46 GMT
#20
They are on Day 9's channel, I believe.

There is a post in the SC2 tourney section if you're too lazy to type youtube into your address bar.
ProgamerAustralian alcohol user follow @iaguzSC2
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Codebar 32
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1101
Mini 932
Shuttle 825
Soma 596
actioN 492
Rush 354
Light 311
Larva 304
Stork 271
ggaemo 249
[ Show more ]
BeSt 236
Horang2 211
Snow 176
Dewaltoss 131
hero 129
firebathero 127
Barracks 76
Aegong 74
Zeus 63
Liquid`Ret 51
Sexy 36
Shinee 36
Sharp 34
Shine 31
JYJ 31
soO 25
ToSsGirL 25
Bale 23
sorry 16
zelot 16
Trap 14
Terrorterran 11
Rock 11
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc8975
qojqva2109
Dendi866
420jenkins168
Counter-Strike
fl0m1323
Fnx 770
x6flipin643
edward59
pashabiceps3
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5604
Grubby1494
Other Games
singsing1399
B2W.Neo1002
byalli454
ceh9333
Mlord316
Khaldor260
Beastyqt210
DeMusliM197
ArmadaUGS166
Liquid`VortiX160
KnowMe132
Trikslyr51
BRAT_OK 40
Railgan16
TKL 9
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV260
BasetradeTV224
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream168
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH250
• StrangeGG 67
• mYiSmile123
• Reevou 2
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• blackmanpl 5
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV411
League of Legends
• Nemesis2564
• TFBlade814
Other Games
• Shiphtur267
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 33m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 33m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.