• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:44
CEST 10:44
KST 17:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9093 users

The Truth About Diamond League

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 61 62 63 Next
Saracen
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5139 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-24 18:46:21
August 24 2010 17:19 GMT
#1
Teamliquid is refuge to all sorts of players, ranging from the casual bronze leaguer to some of the best players in the world. In between these two extremes, there exists what I believe to be the majority of the population - mediocre diamond players. Perhaps I'm wrong - perhaps they're just a small subset of the demographic - but they're definitely the most vocal about their identity. You'll be hard-pressed to find a group of players more willing to flaunt their points and their rank. "I'm a 500 point diamond player," "These are mid-level diamond replays," even "I'm at the top of my diamond league with 800 points" are common phrases you'll see littered around the strategy forum. So what's the problem, you ask? These guys are pretty good right, so it's only right that they back up their opinion with some credentials. But that's exactly what the problem is. The fact that a great majority of the public thinks that since these people are 500+ point diamond leaguers, they have some sort of deeper understanding of the game. And this is where the public is horribly, horribly wrong.

You see, there's a huge difference between how much you win and how much you understand the game. Points and ranking are a good indicator of how much you win, but they do jack shit when it comes to reflecting your game knowledge. Here's a little rundown of the correlation between leagues and understanding of the game:
Bronze: I know what some of the units do.
Silver: I know what a build order is.
Gold: I have a build order for most of the matchups.
Platinum (not stuck-in-platinum-because-stupid-system-won't-promote-me but actual platinum): I have played through my build order more than twenty times.
Diamond: Anything above that.

If you are at all familiar with Brood War and iCCup rankings, here's what it would look like:
Bronze: I play B.net custom games. I can give the computer a good fight.
Silver: I play Fastest Possible Map Ever.
Gold: I play BGH and some low maps. I know who Boxer is.
Platinum: Computer (E) rank
Low diamond (~300): D-
Mid diamond (~600): D
High diamond (~900): D+ through C
Top diamond (~1200): B

You see, a strange phenomenon exists since SC2 is such a new game. It's that you can do almost whatever you want and make it work. There's no such thing as standard play, standard timings, and standard defenses. What this means is that 1 base allins are extremely potent, especially at lower levels, and even at what you might consider high levels as well. That means that even at the 900 point diamond range, there exist an abundance of players who simply just know how to 4gate allin or marine/hellion/tank allin. They just know one build per matchup, practice it to death, and the go on the ladder and win because people don't know how to respond. Does this mean they know how to win? Of course. But does it mean they know anything about the game? Not at all. They are the equivalent of a D+ high player on iCCup. They don't know anything about timings, their opponents' production capabilities, etc. beyond the first eight minutes of the game. I am not complaining about this, mind you. On the contrary, I find that the existence of these people makes my laddering experience much more rewarding since I know that all I have to do is defend one stupid allin and then the game is mine.
On the other hand, there exist another group of 900 point diamond leaguers who legitimately understand the game. They have a solid build order, solid mechanics, and a solid understanding of the game. They could be considered C level iCCup players, maybe even C+. But, every so often, they lose to the aforementioned group of diamond leaguers just because they don't know how to respond, because they just don't have the experience with the game to deal with every single crazy build thrown at them. As time goes on, these diamond players will slowly improve, while the aforementioned group will stagnate.

One of my biggest pet peeves in the Starcraft 2 strategy forums is when someone contradicts a legitimately good player. You may think, "oh TL elitist blah blah blah," but I assure you I have a very good reason for this. Because, while the lesser player may offer some valuable insight and a game-changing perspective (this has actually happened its fair share of times in the past - mutalisk magic box is just one of the many examples, though the credit really should go to Zelniq, a very good player, who first posted about it), 99% of the time, the lesser player will be wrong and the legitimately good player will be right. This is because the game is still developing. Everyone, from the bronze league all the way up to the very top, is still learning. Their play is still changing. Starcraft is an incredibly streaky game - you can only go so far with a build order or playstyle until it stops working. Then you start losing and are forced to change it up to deal with new playstyles and stronger opponents. But whereas the lesser player may have experienced this two or three times, the top players have dealt with this too many times to count. They know what works and what doesn't because they have been there and tried it. IdrA is a prime example of this. As much as people love to bash him for being one-dimensional and using the same build order every game, this cannot be further from the truth. He may use the same opening every game because he wants to find a "standard," a universal opening that can deal with every kind of cheese while still maintaining a solid economy, but he still has to change his game and respond to every type of situation thrown at him. In this case, he has grown much more than all the players who learn one build order per matchup or even two, three, or more - he's much more flexible because he's learning how to adapt. That's why you see him so high on the Korean ladder, and with an insane win rate on the US server. Because he understands the game more than almost anyone else at the moment.

So why am I telling you this? I just want you to know that whenever someone says he's a 800 or 900 point diamond player before giving advice, he's not saying anything about whether or not he knows anything about the game. It's actually very likely that he doesn't know what he's talking about, which would be a typical case of the blind leading the blind. And yes, it's entirely possible to get into "high diamond" by rehearsing one allin build over and over again. Actually, that's probably the easiest way to do so. But eventually, you're going to have to change it up, you're going to actually have to understand the game.

Note: I'm not trying to discourage sharing your opinions. In fact, some of the greatest innovations come from Gold or low-Diamond league players who theorycraft and actually explore the game. Just give respect where it is due. Whenever IdrA or Sheth or CatZ or HuK or Drewbie or Qxc or Jinro or Nazgul or MorroW, etc. posts, even if it contradicts what you're saying, they're probably right. Even if you're a 900 point diamond player.

EDIT: It seems like a lot of you are missing the implications of this thread.
First, regardless of points, there are two types of players. Players who want to win and players who want to better understand the game. I am saying that this exists even up to what many people consider to be "high diamond," while still existing in lower leagues. The problem comes when people with a certain number of points start using that as evidence for their advice, even though that says nothing about their understanding of the game.
Second, people like Qxc, HuK, Sheth, pretty much all of the top players frequent TL. They actually visit it a lot. But they don't post a lot. You might be wondering why they don't provide insight and contribute to discussions. From an interview with Qxc:
TL: Just curious, how much do you read TL?
qxc: I skim the forums occasionally, but tend not to post as most of the stuff actually regarding the game has a lot of … garbage? Dunno. Just a lot of people theorycrafting. Not actually very useful.
TL: Well, what do you think we could do to encourage more high level discussion that you might consider participating in?
qxc: Have invite only topics. For example, create a TvZ discussion thread and only allow top tier Terrans and Zergs to post in it. Assuming people actually participated, it could be pretty interesting. It’s tough to defend a point when I’ve got bronze players telling me what I’m saying is wrong every other line.

It's all a matter of respect. I don't know, maybe you'd rather have wonderful theorycrafting sessions with random SC2 players, but I'd rather have mine with Qxc. Of course, the suggestion Qxc proposed is not going to happen because the administrators actually do care about how TL is perceived by the general public. They really want it to be accessible and friendly to players of every skill level. But that's not saying that as things are, we can't get people like Qxc to post a little more frequently by showing them a bit more respect.
SolHeiM
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden1264 Posts
August 24 2010 17:21 GMT
#2
Cool. It seems I'm the equivalent of a Brood War D player. Never played BW before getting the SC2 a couple of months ago.
-vVvTitan-
Profile Joined August 2010
United States473 Posts
August 24 2010 17:23 GMT
#3
Very good post and I comepletely agree!
vVv.Titan @ vVv-Gaming.com
Myles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5162 Posts
August 24 2010 17:25 GMT
#4
As a ~600 pt diamond player I agree.
Moderator
gillon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden1578 Posts
August 24 2010 17:26 GMT
#5
Didn't play BW much, but I think I was around high D/almost D+ and I'm 800ish diamond atm, so pretty accurate I guess.
www.teamproperty.net | "You should hate losing, but you should never fear defeat." - 이윤열
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
August 24 2010 17:27 GMT
#6
I've been seeing this in spades lately. 500-800 Diamond players who 4-gate rush me then immediately quit when it doesn't win the game or people who do ridiculous stuff like go forge-gateway and not use the forge until another 5-6 minutes have passed. It's always a nice reminder how little your ladder ranking matters.
Logo
Uhh Negative
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1090 Posts
August 24 2010 17:27 GMT
#7
I totally agree. I'm a 750 diamond player and I feel like I suck. My macro is bad, control is bad, build orders not perfected. There is such a huge gap between something like a 700 diamond and 1300 diamond.
disformation
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany8352 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-24 17:28:13
August 24 2010 17:27 GMT
#8
I am a Gold level player and I fully approve this message.
Though if any pro should (very unlikely imo) disapprove, my post will be overwritten. =p
wishbones
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada2600 Posts
August 24 2010 17:28 GMT
#9
im posting before finishing the read but very nice job on the estimate i was D+ on BW, and 900pts Diamond on sc2 atm. (well i havent laddered in a few days mostly custom but yeah your esitmate is quite alrite)
joined TL.net in 2006 (aka GMer) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=41944#2
Dragonsven
Profile Joined April 2010
United States145 Posts
August 24 2010 17:28 GMT
#10
Yet another post describing why diamond players are not good and only old school players should comment on anything. I was expecting a rule on post count by the end. You should realize this kind of elitism does not work and you will end up driving all the new posters away once the initial boost from SC2 ends.

User was temp banned for this post.
Fair and balanced.
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
August 24 2010 17:28 GMT
#11
Good post, however I think you give each level too much credit.

Bronze: I hit find match button, what's that do?
Silver: I know how to select units and make them attack.
Gold: I have a general idea on how to play an rts game.
Platinum (not stuck-in-platinum-because-stupid-system-won't-promote-me but actual platinum): I have a loosely followed build order.
Diamond: Anything above that.
ahleezay
Profile Joined July 2009
43 Posts
August 24 2010 17:29 GMT
#12
agree, my D bw friend is diamond in sc2.
im c-/c and i dont play sc2 \o/
Keitzer
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2509 Posts
August 24 2010 17:29 GMT
#13
so.... this "equivalent" has been determined based on blizzard's inability to rank people?

good post, jw how you came up with this....
I'm like badass squared | KeitZer.489
rackdude
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States882 Posts
August 24 2010 17:30 GMT
#14
Thank you.

I was highish diamond, now going lower due to switching to Zerg, in 2v2, and I win almost every macro game because I'm practicing and studying the game. I have Tarran teammates who think I'm a noob because they are going 3rax all-in marine and I am telling them they need to expand in the midgame. They are highish diamond too. Right now, all-ins are hard to stop. Before QQing, learn from Idra. Practice your build and stop all-ins. Learn the macro game. Your win rate will suck at first (I got down to 25% when first switching to Zerg) but when you learn the variations to stop all-ins and get into the midgame, you now are playing real Starcraft. Spread the word. Within a month hopefully those all-inners will be out of diamond.
Sweet.
Dragonsven
Profile Joined April 2010
United States145 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-24 17:30:47
August 24 2010 17:30 GMT
#15
On August 25 2010 02:29 Keitzer wrote:
so.... this "equivalent" has been determined based on blizzard's inability to rank people?

good post, jw how you came up with this....


He made it up, that's how he came up with it. But he's old school so we should just assume he's right and not think about it at all ourselves.
Fair and balanced.
NB
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Netherlands12045 Posts
August 24 2010 17:30 GMT
#16
lol, playing BGH and know about boxer LOLOLOLOLOL....

btw, you should mention the "aging" of the account due to the bonus pool mechanics
Im daed. Follow me @TL_NB
Bio-Leera
Profile Joined May 2010
United States65 Posts
August 24 2010 17:30 GMT
#17
When the beta was down I tried to play some iccup and just got trashed. The strategy has evolved so far on BW that it be impossible to walk in on iccup with out looking up and researching heavily trying to understand the game. I couldn't even get out of D -. I'm mostly thankful that I can play starcraft 2 this early in the strategy development, so with solid mechanics I can make strategies based on my intuition and see success. It's nice to start learning in the beginning than coming in later where builds have been ironed out and become law.
Moa
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States790 Posts
August 24 2010 17:30 GMT
#18
Despite the fact that this post is meant to say that just because you are in Diamond doesn't mean you are good and even though you are in the highest league you aren't even close to the highest tier of players. I still feel good about being an approximately D level iCCup player.

Also I completely agree with your post, most of my evidence is anecdotal because I've played a ton of diamond players who are really one trick ponies.
^O^
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
August 24 2010 17:31 GMT
#19
Agreed 100%. There is so much bad info on the strategy forum nowadays.

Too bad for you I'm at a whopping nine hundred and seventy points (far above your typical 900 point diamond player) so you can't argue with my strategical insights ^^
Official Entusman #21
Kyhol
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2575 Posts
August 24 2010 17:32 GMT
#20
Your rankings are just ridiculous.
Wishing you well.
1 2 3 4 5 61 62 63 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
firebathero 1155
Hyuk 736
Leta 80
Dewaltoss 76
Killer 59
Yoon 49
soO 49
Aegong 45
Sharp 35
Hm[arnc] 23
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 22
Larva 22
Bale 21
Sacsri 11
ZerO 5
Dota 2
Fuzer 122
League of Legends
JimRising 459
Counter-Strike
byalli590
shoxiejesuss511
kRYSTAL_21
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor925
crisheroes0
Other Games
summit1g9532
singsing1175
olofmeister987
ceh9575
Mew2King96
ArmadaUGS48
trigger8
ZerO(Twitch)1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream156
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• FirePhoenix0
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2341
League of Legends
• Rush1147
• Stunt422
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
4h 16m
OSC
13h 16m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 1h
Online Event
1d 2h
FEL
1d 7h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 8h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 10h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.