• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:24
CEST 11:24
KST 18:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9920 users

The Truth About Diamond League - Page 61

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 59 60 61 62 63 Next
Darpa
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada4413 Posts
March 04 2011 04:53 GMT
#1201
I dont see how people dont equate top masters (top 200) to A on Iccup... Its literally the same players... Yes there is some players who may not have had the mechanics to play BW at a B ---> A level that are in the top 200. The majority of players in the top 30-40 would be equivalent to A. How many A players were their on iccup? I dont remember But I dont think it was many.

While ICCUP was definitly harder than ladder is now, I really think the majority of people are overestimating how difficult it actually was. Im only 3100, but I was a C- on ICCUP. I dont think it was the absolute disgusting brutal rape fest that alot of people here are making it out to be.
"losers always whine about their best, Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"
lkjewq
Profile Joined November 2010
United States132 Posts
March 04 2011 04:54 GMT
#1202
I would say most of masters is C at best. Top 200 is probably mostly Bs.
smacky
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States108 Posts
March 04 2011 04:58 GMT
#1203
all this bickering over rankings...wish i could see the whole list and settle it all...1 to 2000000
all i want is flying zerglings....fling!! make it a micro
rauk
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States2228 Posts
March 04 2011 04:59 GMT
#1204
On March 04 2011 13:36 WAAA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2011 12:43 ThE_OsToJiY wrote:
On March 04 2011 12:24 rauk wrote:
On March 04 2011 08:09 Shiladie wrote:
I really don't think you can map things to specific numbers at all, it's more like this:

Bronze-gold: public B-net/E
platinum: E/D-
Low diamond: D-/D
mid Diamond: D
High diamond: D+
Low masters: D+/C-
mid masters: C through B
high masters: B+/A-
top masters A-/A
top 200: A/A+/olympic

I find it funny that people are calling elitism here without knowing how brutal iccup was. It didn't have the casual people, if you were playing on iccup, you were competative, you were playing to get better. This is because you had to seek it out, download a client, sign up on the website, etc. If you just wanted to play some casual fun games, you'd play on public b-net.

This is not elitism, this is simply how iccup was, so please, if you didn't play on iccup, don't judge by what these letter grades usually mean, I was damn proud of myself to hit D+, and my goal was to hit C-, not like a week or 2 goal, but a multi-year goal of C-


mapping ratings is fun! however i think it's a lot more like this

top 200: B/B-
3500-3300: C+/C
3200-3100: C-/D+
3000: D
everything else D-/computer


This is correct, although B/B- is even optimistic for some top 200 players. Some people in the top 50 might be B+/A- and definitely like >5 legit A players. As someone who has seen tons of players from BW who were like B- skill level in BW in the top 50 in sc2 (playing just as much) I can say it is pretty damn easy to do well on this ladder.


I never played on Iccup but I can see how wrong you are.. I am sure there would of been over 200 people at a B- or higher rank in any given season and Iccup had a lower competitive player base than sc2 does atm so it seems reasonable that sc2 would have more people at a higher rank higher. Just because someone was X iccup rank and is now Y sc2 rank doesnt mean that x=y although if you were to follow this logic the simple fact that there are more than 200 (I assume) people b- or higher would prove that the top 200 is "at that level". Its funny how you say " its pretty damn easy to do well in this ladder" but the fact remains there can only ever be 200 people in the top 200 and atm there are more people playing sc2 competitively...


there are certainly more than 200 people over B- rank on any given season, they're just all korean.

i don't think there are more than 50-100 american B- and above players at any given season? even less so now that most people are playing sc2.
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12815 Posts
March 04 2011 05:00 GMT
#1205
I think to put it this way is best:
On ICCup, Koreans are there as well.
On SC2 ladder, in NA server, there are no koreans.

So if you imagine what A rank on ICCup means...
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
Soulforged
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Latvia982 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-04 05:04:46
March 04 2011 05:03 GMT
#1206
When I was still playing SC2, I was top100, while B- at icc and month of training without beta. Basically, I believe that now situation's higher skilled, but still top200 =/= A, since the game just isn't solved as much. Given some 2 years of constant strategy evolution, sure.
As far as game theory is progressed, many strategies will be eliminated as non viable or "surprise-effect-viable" (like, for example, in bw, 2facting in tvp right now. on most maps it handes an economy advantage to many protoss builds - except fast nexus, it is not "decisive", but enough for similiar level top players to crush their enemy on).
Then the best players will lose less and less games to weird stuff, there'll be less facepalm moments in broadcasts, and then you'll be able to say they're like A icc.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
March 04 2011 05:08 GMT
#1207
On March 04 2011 14:00 evanthebouncy! wrote:
I think to put it this way is best:
On ICCup, Koreans are there as well.
On SC2 ladder, in NA server, there are no koreans.

So if you imagine what A rank on ICCup means...

Haha. I think that's a truly excellent way to put things.

I'm in diamond, and I'm a chobo, but at least i admit it
b_unnies
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
3579 Posts
March 04 2011 05:09 GMT
#1208
Getting into Masters = D-.

bkrow
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia8532 Posts
March 04 2011 05:12 GMT
#1209
On March 04 2011 14:00 evanthebouncy! wrote:
I think to put it this way is best:
On ICCup, Koreans are there as well.
On SC2 ladder, in NA server, there are no koreans.

So if you imagine what A rank on ICCup means...

The skill difference between Korean and Foreign BW players is not the same as the skill difference (if any) between Korean and Foreign SC2 players.. I don't think that can be ignored..
In The Rear With The Gear .. *giggle* /////////// cobra-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!!
rauk
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States2228 Posts
March 04 2011 05:23 GMT
#1210
On March 04 2011 14:12 bkrow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2011 14:00 evanthebouncy! wrote:
I think to put it this way is best:
On ICCup, Koreans are there as well.
On SC2 ladder, in NA server, there are no koreans.

So if you imagine what A rank on ICCup means...

The skill difference between Korean and Foreign BW players is not the same as the skill difference (if any) between Korean and Foreign SC2 players.. I don't think that can be ignored..


it's still there.. look at KR's korean account, he can't even make top 200 there but i'd put him as a top 5 terran on the NA server.
Rotodyne
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2263 Posts
March 04 2011 05:31 GMT
#1211
On March 04 2011 14:09 b_unnies wrote:
Getting into Masters = D-.



hahaha quite possibly. I'd tend to say D though. Maybe even D+. absolutely not C- though.
I can only play starcraft when I am shit canned. IPXZERG is a god.
Kuri
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada88 Posts
March 04 2011 05:47 GMT
#1212
I think we should just accept that SC2 and BW are completely different games and require different skill sets. You can be C+ in BW and be stuck in Diamond in SC2 (haha trust me.. i know ). BW is a little more forgiving in the sense that you can makeup for subpar tactics with good mechanics. This is also the reason why BW is a harder game. Conversely, SC2 is a game where mechanics, although still very necessary, are easy to master. Thus, SC2 focuses more on a different aspect of the game: tactics. Mistakes in BO and strategy is very unforgiving and often times it is impossible to comeback from such errors.

So if you wanna compare SC2 ranks to ICCup ranks, gotta ask yourselves the following question: Did I get to B- because I had better mechanics or was I tactically a better player. I know a B Toss player who had 90 apm... basically he wins with tactics and timings. He would be a strong SC2 player. I, on the other hand, relied on mechanics to win my games in BW. I have yet to learn about unit composition and tactics in SC2. That is probably why I'm still in Diamond.
ZarMulix
Profile Joined October 2010
United States77 Posts
March 04 2011 05:47 GMT
#1213
I probably shouldn't have but I actually get offended when I see what people think lower league players can and cannot do. Before even going into this, almost no one who hasn't recently been in a lower league has any credibility to speak about this because when's the last time they laddered in bronze, silver, gold, etc? I assume most people speak with no experience on the matter and it doesn't make sense logically either. It has been established that people in lower leauges have mainly two problems: macro and build order execution.

Since everyone on battlenet 2.0 has internet, EVERYONE playing starcraft has the ability to access sources such as TL, other strategy forums, replays of pro players, advice givers like Day[9], etc. I assume the vast majority of people who access this information is made up of people who are looking to improve and they spend most of this time researching rather than playing, which is what they would be doing if they knew how to improve (example: professional gamers).

I just recently got promoted to gold league and am playing mostly platinum players. However, I play barely once a week (maybe 3-4 games every a week on average) when I can, and spend most of my time overcoming my rustiness. I know what a build order is (in fact I know many, maybe too many), I use hotkeys, macro while microing battles, play reactively (see: zerg) and have my own distinctive play style in development. So has every player I've played from bronze to platinum and I really have no idea why people cite "a friend they introduced to the game" as a player of the average skill level of the league they're in.

The lower leagues have their share of people who don't know what they're doing, but most people I played were people who knew exactly what they were doing, but keep playing other people who also know what they're doing and therefore don't clobber the opposition. I find it curious that most people that I played in silver had 100+ apm while I noticed a dramatic drop when playing gold and platinum players (take it for what it's worth, yes there are those 400apm spammers who can barely 4gate- I played one).

The biggest problem accounting for lack of ability to win I see from lower league players is a two fold problem. One aspect is perceived knowledge and the other is lack of practice. Honestly how many of the lower league players who complain about losing have actually played more than (making up some number) 400 games? Lower league players are bombarded with ideas and strategies from the venues that they were introduced to the game in (professionals) and have simply not played enough to know first hand how these strategies come into play.
That doesn't mean a lower league player doesn't understand how things work, why things work, or can't offer insight into the game (see:human with average intelligence). I do feel that discussions about already refined strategies should respect the thoughts of those who have more experience with it more. However remember that a lower league player may very well be more intelligent than you are and simply does not spend as much time playing Starcraft (humanitarian efforts, research, con artistry).

So basically I'm just pleading for everyone to have a little more respect for lower leaguers who attempt to be part of a community. If they're here it's because they actually care to increase their knowledge and understanding of the game and I'm not a fan of the dismissal and elitism that I see sometimes. Do you play more? Certainly. Are you better at Starcraft than me? I certainly hope so or else all that effort and time was put to waste. Does that mean my opinion isn't valid because I'm not of the same ranking? That has to be decided based on more information.
Techno
Profile Joined June 2010
1900 Posts
March 04 2011 05:50 GMT
#1214
It's pretty funny how he's saying that ladder ranking doesn't mean shit and most of the people responded with there ladder rank.
Hell, its awesome to LOSE to nukes!
chenchen
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1136 Posts
March 04 2011 05:56 GMT
#1215
On March 04 2011 14:47 ZarMulix wrote:
I probably shouldn't have but I actually get offended when I see what people think lower league players can and cannot do. Before even going into this, almost no one who hasn't recently been in a lower league has any credibility to speak about this because when's the last time they laddered in bronze, silver, gold, etc? I assume most people speak with no experience on the matter and it doesn't make sense logically either. It has been established that people in lower leauges have mainly two problems: macro and build order execution.

Since everyone on battlenet 2.0 has internet, EVERYONE playing starcraft has the ability to access sources such as TL, other strategy forums, replays of pro players, advice givers like Day[9], etc. I assume the vast majority of people who access this information is made up of people who are looking to improve and they spend most of this time researching rather than playing, which is what they would be doing if they knew how to improve (example: professional gamers).

I just recently got promoted to gold league and am playing mostly platinum players. However, I play barely once a week (maybe 3-4 games every a week on average) when I can, and spend most of my time overcoming my rustiness. I know what a build order is (in fact I know many, maybe too many), I use hotkeys, macro while microing battles, play reactively (see: zerg) and have my own distinctive play style in development. So has every player I've played from bronze to platinum and I really have no idea why people cite "a friend they introduced to the game" as a player of the average skill level of the league they're in.

The lower leagues have their share of people who don't know what they're doing, but most people I played were people who knew exactly what they were doing, but keep playing other people who also know what they're doing and therefore don't clobber the opposition. I find it curious that most people that I played in silver had 100+ apm while I noticed a dramatic drop when playing gold and platinum players (take it for what it's worth, yes there are those 400apm spammers who can barely 4gate- I played one).

The biggest problem accounting for lack of ability to win I see from lower league players is a two fold problem. One aspect is perceived knowledge and the other is lack of practice. Honestly how many of the lower league players who complain about losing have actually played more than (making up some number) 400 games? Lower league players are bombarded with ideas and strategies from the venues that they were introduced to the game in (professionals) and have simply not played enough to know first hand how these strategies come into play.
That doesn't mean a lower league player doesn't understand how things work, why things work, or can't offer insight into the game (see:human with average intelligence). I do feel that discussions about already refined strategies should respect the thoughts of those who have more experience with it more. However remember that a lower league player may very well be more intelligent than you are and simply does not spend as much time playing Starcraft (humanitarian efforts, research, con artistry).

So basically I'm just pleading for everyone to have a little more respect for lower leaguers who attempt to be part of a community. If they're here it's because they actually care to increase their knowledge and understanding of the game and I'm not a fan of the dismissal and elitism that I see sometimes. Do you play more? Certainly. Are you better at Starcraft than me? I certainly hope so or else all that effort and time was put to waste. Does that mean my opinion isn't valid because I'm not of the same ranking? That has to be decided based on more information.


The problem is that while lower league playes CAN offer insight as to what works at their level, they can't offer insight as to what works at the highest level of play, which is the level of play that much of TL is concerned with. They simply do not have a good enough understanding of the game to offer any valuable ideas. Whatever they can point out that does happen to be useful can be pointed out by a high level player just as easily.
powerade = dragoon blood
Sensator
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia377 Posts
March 04 2011 10:11 GMT
#1216
Yay I'm C, C+ :D
Axeinst
Profile Joined March 2011
Belize281 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-04 10:25:19
March 04 2011 10:24 GMT
#1217
On March 04 2011 14:56 chenchen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2011 14:47 ZarMulix wrote:
I probably shouldn't have but I actually get offended when I see what people think lower league players can and cannot do. Before even going into this, almost no one who hasn't recently been in a lower league has any credibility to speak about this because when's the last time they laddered in bronze, silver, gold, etc? I assume most people speak with no experience on the matter and it doesn't make sense logically either. It has been established that people in lower leauges have mainly two problems: macro and build order execution.

Since everyone on battlenet 2.0 has internet, EVERYONE playing starcraft has the ability to access sources such as TL, other strategy forums, replays of pro players, advice givers like Day[9], etc. I assume the vast majority of people who access this information is made up of people who are looking to improve and they spend most of this time researching rather than playing, which is what they would be doing if they knew how to improve (example: professional gamers).

I just recently got promoted to gold league and am playing mostly platinum players. However, I play barely once a week (maybe 3-4 games every a week on average) when I can, and spend most of my time overcoming my rustiness. I know what a build order is (in fact I know many, maybe too many), I use hotkeys, macro while microing battles, play reactively (see: zerg) and have my own distinctive play style in development. So has every player I've played from bronze to platinum and I really have no idea why people cite "a friend they introduced to the game" as a player of the average skill level of the league they're in.

The lower leagues have their share of people who don't know what they're doing, but most people I played were people who knew exactly what they were doing, but keep playing other people who also know what they're doing and therefore don't clobber the opposition. I find it curious that most people that I played in silver had 100+ apm while I noticed a dramatic drop when playing gold and platinum players (take it for what it's worth, yes there are those 400apm spammers who can barely 4gate- I played one).

The biggest problem accounting for lack of ability to win I see from lower league players is a two fold problem. One aspect is perceived knowledge and the other is lack of practice. Honestly how many of the lower league players who complain about losing have actually played more than (making up some number) 400 games? Lower league players are bombarded with ideas and strategies from the venues that they were introduced to the game in (professionals) and have simply not played enough to know first hand how these strategies come into play.
That doesn't mean a lower league player doesn't understand how things work, why things work, or can't offer insight into the game (see:human with average intelligence). I do feel that discussions about already refined strategies should respect the thoughts of those who have more experience with it more. However remember that a lower league player may very well be more intelligent than you are and simply does not spend as much time playing Starcraft (humanitarian efforts, research, con artistry).

So basically I'm just pleading for everyone to have a little more respect for lower leaguers who attempt to be part of a community. If they're here it's because they actually care to increase their knowledge and understanding of the game and I'm not a fan of the dismissal and elitism that I see sometimes. Do you play more? Certainly. Are you better at Starcraft than me? I certainly hope so or else all that effort and time was put to waste. Does that mean my opinion isn't valid because I'm not of the same ranking? That has to be decided based on more information.


The problem is that while lower league playes CAN offer insight as to what works at their level, they can't offer insight as to what works at the highest level of play, which is the level of play that much of TL is concerned with. They simply do not have a good enough understanding of the game to offer any valuable ideas. Whatever they can point out that does happen to be useful can be pointed out by a high level player just as easily.

You totally forget, that lower league players may watch more tournament games etc and thus have good amount of knowledge.

And intelligence plays big role here too.
Axeinst
Profile Joined March 2011
Belize281 Posts
March 04 2011 10:27 GMT
#1218
On March 04 2011 14:47 Kuri wrote:
I think we should just accept that SC2 and BW are completely different games and require different skill sets. You can be C+ in BW and be stuck in Diamond in SC2 (haha trust me.. i know ). BW is a little more forgiving in the sense that you can makeup for subpar tactics with good mechanics. This is also the reason why BW is a harder game. Conversely, SC2 is a game where mechanics, although still very necessary, are easy to master. Thus, SC2 focuses more on a different aspect of the game: tactics. Mistakes in BO and strategy is very unforgiving and often times it is impossible to comeback from such errors.

So if you wanna compare SC2 ranks to ICCup ranks, gotta ask yourselves the following question: Did I get to B- because I had better mechanics or was I tactically a better player. I know a B Toss player who had 90 apm... basically he wins with tactics and timings. He would be a strong SC2 player. I, on the other hand, relied on mechanics to win my games in BW. I have yet to learn about unit composition and tactics in SC2. That is probably why I'm still in Diamond.

Build orders are part of mechanics.

Your post does not really make sense. First you are telling that sc2 is more about tactics and not mechanics, but then you are saying that mistakes in build order is crucial.
Turgid
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1623 Posts
March 04 2011 10:32 GMT
#1219
On March 04 2011 19:24 Axeinst wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2011 14:56 chenchen wrote:
On March 04 2011 14:47 ZarMulix wrote:
I probably shouldn't have but I actually get offended when I see what people think lower league players can and cannot do. Before even going into this, almost no one who hasn't recently been in a lower league has any credibility to speak about this because when's the last time they laddered in bronze, silver, gold, etc? I assume most people speak with no experience on the matter and it doesn't make sense logically either. It has been established that people in lower leauges have mainly two problems: macro and build order execution.

Since everyone on battlenet 2.0 has internet, EVERYONE playing starcraft has the ability to access sources such as TL, other strategy forums, replays of pro players, advice givers like Day[9], etc. I assume the vast majority of people who access this information is made up of people who are looking to improve and they spend most of this time researching rather than playing, which is what they would be doing if they knew how to improve (example: professional gamers).

I just recently got promoted to gold league and am playing mostly platinum players. However, I play barely once a week (maybe 3-4 games every a week on average) when I can, and spend most of my time overcoming my rustiness. I know what a build order is (in fact I know many, maybe too many), I use hotkeys, macro while microing battles, play reactively (see: zerg) and have my own distinctive play style in development. So has every player I've played from bronze to platinum and I really have no idea why people cite "a friend they introduced to the game" as a player of the average skill level of the league they're in.

The lower leagues have their share of people who don't know what they're doing, but most people I played were people who knew exactly what they were doing, but keep playing other people who also know what they're doing and therefore don't clobber the opposition. I find it curious that most people that I played in silver had 100+ apm while I noticed a dramatic drop when playing gold and platinum players (take it for what it's worth, yes there are those 400apm spammers who can barely 4gate- I played one).

The biggest problem accounting for lack of ability to win I see from lower league players is a two fold problem. One aspect is perceived knowledge and the other is lack of practice. Honestly how many of the lower league players who complain about losing have actually played more than (making up some number) 400 games? Lower league players are bombarded with ideas and strategies from the venues that they were introduced to the game in (professionals) and have simply not played enough to know first hand how these strategies come into play.
That doesn't mean a lower league player doesn't understand how things work, why things work, or can't offer insight into the game (see:human with average intelligence). I do feel that discussions about already refined strategies should respect the thoughts of those who have more experience with it more. However remember that a lower league player may very well be more intelligent than you are and simply does not spend as much time playing Starcraft (humanitarian efforts, research, con artistry).

So basically I'm just pleading for everyone to have a little more respect for lower leaguers who attempt to be part of a community. If they're here it's because they actually care to increase their knowledge and understanding of the game and I'm not a fan of the dismissal and elitism that I see sometimes. Do you play more? Certainly. Are you better at Starcraft than me? I certainly hope so or else all that effort and time was put to waste. Does that mean my opinion isn't valid because I'm not of the same ranking? That has to be decided based on more information.


The problem is that while lower league playes CAN offer insight as to what works at their level, they can't offer insight as to what works at the highest level of play, which is the level of play that much of TL is concerned with. They simply do not have a good enough understanding of the game to offer any valuable ideas. Whatever they can point out that does happen to be useful can be pointed out by a high level player just as easily.

You totally forget, that lower league players may watch more tournament games etc and thus have good amount of knowledge.

And intelligence plays big role here too.

However, in my personal experience, if you understand the game at a diamond or higher level, you will play at that level. I have never encountered a silver or gold player who I felt knew a considerable amount about the game.
(╬ ಠ益ಠ)
Axeinst
Profile Joined March 2011
Belize281 Posts
March 04 2011 10:34 GMT
#1220
On March 04 2011 19:32 Turgid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2011 19:24 Axeinst wrote:
On March 04 2011 14:56 chenchen wrote:
On March 04 2011 14:47 ZarMulix wrote:
I probably shouldn't have but I actually get offended when I see what people think lower league players can and cannot do. Before even going into this, almost no one who hasn't recently been in a lower league has any credibility to speak about this because when's the last time they laddered in bronze, silver, gold, etc? I assume most people speak with no experience on the matter and it doesn't make sense logically either. It has been established that people in lower leauges have mainly two problems: macro and build order execution.

Since everyone on battlenet 2.0 has internet, EVERYONE playing starcraft has the ability to access sources such as TL, other strategy forums, replays of pro players, advice givers like Day[9], etc. I assume the vast majority of people who access this information is made up of people who are looking to improve and they spend most of this time researching rather than playing, which is what they would be doing if they knew how to improve (example: professional gamers).

I just recently got promoted to gold league and am playing mostly platinum players. However, I play barely once a week (maybe 3-4 games every a week on average) when I can, and spend most of my time overcoming my rustiness. I know what a build order is (in fact I know many, maybe too many), I use hotkeys, macro while microing battles, play reactively (see: zerg) and have my own distinctive play style in development. So has every player I've played from bronze to platinum and I really have no idea why people cite "a friend they introduced to the game" as a player of the average skill level of the league they're in.

The lower leagues have their share of people who don't know what they're doing, but most people I played were people who knew exactly what they were doing, but keep playing other people who also know what they're doing and therefore don't clobber the opposition. I find it curious that most people that I played in silver had 100+ apm while I noticed a dramatic drop when playing gold and platinum players (take it for what it's worth, yes there are those 400apm spammers who can barely 4gate- I played one).

The biggest problem accounting for lack of ability to win I see from lower league players is a two fold problem. One aspect is perceived knowledge and the other is lack of practice. Honestly how many of the lower league players who complain about losing have actually played more than (making up some number) 400 games? Lower league players are bombarded with ideas and strategies from the venues that they were introduced to the game in (professionals) and have simply not played enough to know first hand how these strategies come into play.
That doesn't mean a lower league player doesn't understand how things work, why things work, or can't offer insight into the game (see:human with average intelligence). I do feel that discussions about already refined strategies should respect the thoughts of those who have more experience with it more. However remember that a lower league player may very well be more intelligent than you are and simply does not spend as much time playing Starcraft (humanitarian efforts, research, con artistry).

So basically I'm just pleading for everyone to have a little more respect for lower leaguers who attempt to be part of a community. If they're here it's because they actually care to increase their knowledge and understanding of the game and I'm not a fan of the dismissal and elitism that I see sometimes. Do you play more? Certainly. Are you better at Starcraft than me? I certainly hope so or else all that effort and time was put to waste. Does that mean my opinion isn't valid because I'm not of the same ranking? That has to be decided based on more information.


The problem is that while lower league playes CAN offer insight as to what works at their level, they can't offer insight as to what works at the highest level of play, which is the level of play that much of TL is concerned with. They simply do not have a good enough understanding of the game to offer any valuable ideas. Whatever they can point out that does happen to be useful can be pointed out by a high level player just as easily.

You totally forget, that lower league players may watch more tournament games etc and thus have good amount of knowledge.

And intelligence plays big role here too.

However, in my personal experience, if you understand the game at a diamond or higher level, you will play at that level. I have never encountered a silver or gold player who I felt knew a considerable amount about the game.

It takes alot of games to get promoted and if mechanics are very subpar, it is hard to advance.
Prev 1 59 60 61 62 63 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
firebathero 2046
Bisu 411
Hyuk 370
Killer 106
Dewaltoss 92
Leta 82
Larva 81
EffOrt 68
Soma 62
Sexy 62
[ Show more ]
ZerO 54
ToSsGirL 47
soO 42
Sharp 41
Light 37
Aegong 29
Bale 23
Sacsri 19
NaDa 16
Hm[arnc] 15
Shinee 10
JulyZerg 8
sorry 8
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Fuzer 135
League of Legends
JimRising 409
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss854
byalli749
kRYSTAL_37
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor949
crisheroes459
Other Games
gofns27264
singsing1428
olofmeister988
ceh9641
Mew2King89
ArmadaUGS52
ZerO(Twitch)11
B2W.Neo1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream149
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2382
League of Legends
• Stunt428
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
3h 36m
OSC
12h 36m
CranKy Ducklings
1d
Online Event
1d 1h
FEL
1d 6h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.