• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:24
CEST 08:24
KST 15:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7693 users

Starcraft 2 to get 3D support in patch

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
xGrief
Profile Joined April 2010
United States56 Posts
July 03 2010 18:21 GMT
#1
Blizzard is jumping on the 3D bandwagon, as StarCraft 2 production director Chris Sigaty has revealed a patch will be issued for the game soon after its release that'll at 3D for those who can take advantage of it.
"We will be releasing 3D in the first few months, for those Nvidia cards and screens that support it," Sigaty told IGN (via VG247). And despite Nvidia being name-dropped specifically (and despite the fact Nvidia had a presence at the StarCraft 2 event in Seoul, South Korea where the interview was taking place), Sigaty also assured that they're "optimizing for all systems."

But 3D effects aren't the only graphical update that StarCraft 2 will get, as Sigaty also said Blizzard intends to continue to update the game with new visual features as time goes on and "median hardware gets faster." And while Sigaty also confirmed StarCraft 2 won't support anti-aliasing (a technique used to smooth out the rough edges in 3D graphics) out of the box, that could be one of the graphical updates the game receives later on.

StarCraft 2 is set for release in just a few weeks, on July 27.


http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180243

I'm sure people will be upset over this news as it's not chatrooms or cross region play but it looks like it could be a cool gimmick for people with 120hz displays.
Piski
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Finland3461 Posts
July 03 2010 18:24 GMT
#2
The only really sad thing about this news is that there won't be AA support. I don't mind that people are getting it in 3D as long as it doesn't affect the chat rooms and cross region patches.
Lighioana
Profile Joined March 2010
Norway466 Posts
July 03 2010 18:25 GMT
#3
I'm surprised it's not already supported out of the box.
And forgive me nothing for I truly meant it all
vyyye
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden3917 Posts
July 03 2010 18:25 GMT
#4


And while Sigaty also confirmed StarCraft 2 won't support anti-aliasing (a technique used to smooth out the rough edges in 3D graphics) out of the box, that could be one of the graphical updates the game receives later on.

Does this make sense to anyone? How is AA not going to be part of the release package? I'd honestly prefer them to have what most would call standard features over gimmicks such as 3D.
m00n
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden14 Posts
July 03 2010 18:25 GMT
#5
--- Nuked ---
PokePill
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1048 Posts
July 03 2010 18:27 GMT
#6
We need motion controls too!
Jenslyn87
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark527 Posts
July 03 2010 18:28 GMT
#7
I actually like this... updaing a game's graphics continually is something I would've liked to see in a lot of games! It's not anything major, but I think it's cool.

Something I'm not sure about: On most GFX drivers, you can force AA. Isn't this something that the driver itself can control regardless of the setting in the game? If so, can't everyone who wants AA just force it?
Hmmm, I wonder what terran is doiAAAAARGH BANSHEEEEES
InfiniteIce
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States794 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-03 18:34:31
July 03 2010 18:28 GMT
#8
There are ways to enable AA anyway.

Nvidia card users, google "Nhancer". I'm 99.9% positive ATITrayTools or something similar has the same functionality as Nhancer or RivaTuner.

But this is a little disappointing. So many gimmicks, so little integral functionality......

I mean it's kinda cool...but maybe I'm just not a 3D fan. I think "lol" every time those Sony 3D TV ads come on, personally...maybe it's just me?


Dear everybody below me posting about AA and Nvidia:
On July 04 2010 03:28 Jenslyn87 wrote:
I actually like this... updaing a game's graphics continually is something I would've liked to see in a lot of games! It's not anything major, but I think it's cool.

Something I'm not sure about: On most GFX drivers, you can force AA. Isn't this something that the driver itself can control regardless of the setting in the game? If so, can't everyone who wants AA just force it?



Yes. Sorry, you posted while I was typing my response. But you definitely can, Nvidia even already has values in the driver for "AA Compatibility" mode specifically for StarCraft II.

I am sure this pops up in the default drivers as well if you use the "program settings" (i.e. not global settings) area, and pick SC2. But just so I have proof and am not talking sideways out of my ass:

[image loading]
i keep going back to my response to chill's fake PM and laughing, then immediately getting a feeling that i assume i'd get if i had an orgasm and the girl said "hahaha guess what i have a dick" -FakeSteve
jacen
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Austria3644 Posts
July 03 2010 18:30 GMT
#9
On July 04 2010 03:28 Jenslyn87 wrote:
Something I'm not sure about: On most GFX drivers, you can force AA. Isn't this something that the driver itself can control regardless of the setting in the game? If so, can't everyone who wants AA just force it?

i think you can block it program-side.
at least forcing aa didn't work in the first beta phase.
(micronesia) lol we aren't going to just permban you (micronesia) "we" excludes Jinro
Looky
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1608 Posts
July 03 2010 18:31 GMT
#10
ill stick with hd for now... 3d always hurts my eyes and give me a headache at times. how the hell are u suppose to play.
xGrief
Profile Joined April 2010
United States56 Posts
July 03 2010 18:31 GMT
#11
I read that AA doesn't work on ATI cards (I tried it and couldn't get it to work on my 5850 and didn't bother trying further) and that when forced on NVIDIA cards it does weird stuff like rounds the minimap. Someone with an NVIDIA card will have to confirm about that.
SnakeChomp
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada125 Posts
July 03 2010 18:32 GMT
#12
On July 04 2010 03:25 Lighioana wrote:
I'm surprised it's not already supported out of the box.


You are surprised that a bleeding edge technology that maybe 0.5% of SC2 players have access to is not supported out of the box? I am surprised that you are surprised.
Channel56k
Profile Joined June 2010
United States413 Posts
July 03 2010 18:34 GMT
#13
Wow, so this is where their time is going. Way to be on the ball.

User was warned for this post
"Do yourself a favor, and don't listen to me."
FortuneSyn
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1826 Posts
July 03 2010 18:37 GMT
#14
On July 04 2010 03:34 konicki wrote:
Wow, so this is where their time is going. Way to be on the ball.


I swear I feel like choking whiny ass negative nerds like you.

User was warned for this post
InfiniteIce
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States794 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-03 18:44:25
July 03 2010 18:41 GMT
#15
On July 04 2010 03:37 FortuneSyn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2010 03:34 konicki wrote:
Wow, so this is where their time is going. Way to be on the ball.


I swear I feel like choking whiny ass negative nerds like you.


Sentiment is mirrored back to you, from me. At least the other guy expressed his sentiments towards Blizzard. Nobody gives a shit about your sentiments about the other guy.

That goes for the other useless posts that follow below as well...

At least discuss Blizzard or SC2. Don't discuss the other guy...... ?????
i keep going back to my response to chill's fake PM and laughing, then immediately getting a feeling that i assume i'd get if i had an orgasm and the girl said "hahaha guess what i have a dick" -FakeSteve
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
July 03 2010 18:41 GMT
#16
I think my nVidia driver on my desktop PC already has SC2 listed as 3D compatible. I'm not sure what the process is to get a game into that list, but if Blizz had anything to do with that then the 3D support probably was planned a long time ago.

Imo 3D hardware/technology is not yet suited for heavy usage, but the more games/movies start using it, the more likely it is for improvements to be made. SC2 definitely will help boost the development for the platform PC.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
xGrief
Profile Joined April 2010
United States56 Posts
July 03 2010 18:41 GMT
#17
On July 04 2010 03:37 FortuneSyn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2010 03:34 konicki wrote:
Wow, so this is where their time is going. Way to be on the ball.


I swear I feel like choking whiny ass negative nerds like you.

I'm really glad that it took 10 posts for the whiners to come in. I expected it to be the first reply.
It's not like the same people who would be working on the 3D support are the same people who are building Battle.net 2.0 :/
Piski
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Finland3461 Posts
July 03 2010 18:42 GMT
#18
On July 04 2010 03:37 FortuneSyn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2010 03:34 konicki wrote:
Wow, so this is where their time is going. Way to be on the ball.


I swear I feel like choking whiny ass negative nerds like you.


My fellow poster, you have stolen the words right out of my mouth. Well done
jamesr12
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1549 Posts
July 03 2010 18:44 GMT
#19
This would be sweet for single player if you have the set up to do it, but I dont know why anyone would want this for MP and everyone will be done with SP by the time it comes out. Just save it for the expansions in my opinion
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=306479
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
July 03 2010 18:45 GMT
#20
The most interesting thing about this information is that Blizzard is committed to graphics updates to the game over time. They must really want this game to last as long as Broodwar did.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 145
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 459
Mong 125
Shinee 73
Bale 22
NotJumperer 18
Noble 14
Shine 12
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm187
League of Legends
JimRising 616
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 829
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft707
Other Games
summit1g7506
C9.Mang0305
PiGStarcraft238
ceh9193
Livibee71
RuFF_SC228
Happy23
ArmadaUGS17
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick549
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream429
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2260
League of Legends
• Lourlo1260
• Rush1256
• Stunt401
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
3h 37m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
17h 37m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 4h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.