• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:19
CEST 03:19
KST 10:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8466 users

The Bane of Terran: Decision-Making - Page 5

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
ccou
Profile Joined December 2008
United States681 Posts
May 03 2010 17:41 GMT
#81
no... zerg is still the highest decision making.

..............................----------tech building
............................./
.............-------drone--------------defense building
............/ ............. \
.........../.................---------harvester
larva---/ ---------overlord
.........\
...........\---------army----7 choices

Every single larva.


What I'd like to see in this thread: Do you feel agree with the very one-sided distribution of these macro-decisions? If so, do you think they make an impact on the difficulty of the race? What are possible chances that could ease this or is the current situation just fine as it is?


I agree there is a very one-sided distribution of macro-decisions being that zerg is still the most complex.
Wake up Mr. B!
alexanderzero
Profile Joined June 2008
United States659 Posts
May 03 2010 17:41 GMT
#82
Thanks for fucking spoiling one of the matches from the HDH invitational. I didn't get to watch it yet...
I am a tournament organizazer.
Insanious
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1251 Posts
May 03 2010 17:42 GMT
#83
@fable sry, but i would not like this idea... it would turn zerg into terran/toss... where i build like 8 hydra dens and have queens injecting them like crazy, while pumping drones. not only would this be too strong (having the ability to make like 16 hydras while making 7 drones instead of hydras or drones...

It would neuter what makes zerg zerg.. the decision on what to use my larva for. In the first few minutes of the game, i have every larva planned out... and if i mess one up, one less drone, one less overlord, miss an egg of lings, it can literally end my game right there.

Zerg only has so much larva available to them, the earlier you get a queen out the more larva you get, but the worse off your economy is. The later you get a queen the more droneing you can do but the less over all larva you have and your neuter your ability to quickly react to the current situation.

Lets not even go into what happens if I get harassed and lose a drone (not only do i lose income, but possible a spine crawler or the ability to drop my extractor on time)...

Every larva has to be planed out, even late game "ok, do i have enough drones to expo again? Do I have more drones then he does?" if you dont have more drones then your opponent, then their chrono boost and mules will boost their econ to a point where you can't catch up.

Then late game, when we have a huge army fighting, I have to go back to spawn larva or I lose those larva for ever... not to mention when the battle is done, do I expo, do I need to build an army to defend, or do I make lings to harass.

and If I drone, does he have a small army built up which I just wasted my larva and cannot defend now?

If I make an army, is he expanding, and do I have enough of an army to attack? if not, then I fall further behind in economy.

If I make lings, what happens if his static defenses hold me off? thats a HUGE larva investment.

Zerg have TONNES of choices, and they all stem from what to do with larva... While T and P are constrined by how much minerals and gas they have, they have the ability to make workers and a military as the same time... zerg is constrained by gas, minerals, and larva... making every larva precious and a single mistake where you make the wrong thing and cancel is something that can cost you the game.

(and yes, one egg of lings or drones can make the difference in a game... if I make a drone instead of lings and he kills my queen, where those lings would of saved it puts me so so so so so so far behind its stupid...)

Just saying, Zerg is trivialized in this thread... well so is toss but I don't play them.

Also just @ the mule/scan dilema... to me its sort of the same as larva/tumor... its

mule
mule
mule
mule
mule
mule
k enough for a scan... lets see what he has... k
mule
mule
mule

etc... people only save scans if they know that they need detectors... does anyone save scans for v zerg... most likely not. Does anyone save scans if they know the opponent isn't getting dt's or banshees no, they don't... you get mules.

if you want to see what the enemy is doing you do what the rest of us do... send a unit, a worker or a cheap unit like a marine to die...
If you want to help me out... http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b82744b816d3
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
May 03 2010 17:47 GMT
#84

Do you feel agree with the very one-sided distribution of these macro-decisions? No.
If so, do you think they make an impact on the difficulty of the race? N/A
What are possible chances that could ease this or is the current situation just fine as it is? N/A
Moderator
AncienTs
Profile Joined March 2010
Japan227 Posts
May 03 2010 17:48 GMT
#85
But again.. terran can switch tech very easily, since the tech lab is shorter to build now (post patch 8)
Starcraft Disclaimer Language: There is no imbalance, nothing is OP.
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-03 18:04:52
May 03 2010 17:56 GMT
#86
If anything I don't think the orbital command has enough good decision making, and I don't think there's enough reason to go planetary fortress (except on maps like desert oasis, with open naturals). There's pretty much never a reason to go planetary fortress because it's 100% defensive with no other benefits. Then we make the orbital. And hey, guess what?

Calldown supply is economically inferior to the mule. And scouting options are almost always cheaper than the opportunity cost of scan. 150 minerals for a floating rax, 50 mineral suicide scv, 50 mineral/50 gas reaper, free floating factory while teching to starport, all cheaper opportunities than scan. Mule is almost always the way to go. One of the few times scanning is worth it is when you need to see the high ground, or you need immediate knowledge of a far off expansion. Scanning is rare in comparison to the mule, and for good reason. Economically it's simply better to scout using other methods.

So I don't think terran has enough decision making. It's just mule mule mule mule mule mule. I'd like to see calldown mule to be changed so that you can call down a mule for economy or you can call down some units (call them down on top of a production facility only). In the short run it would help you out, in the long run you'd have a smaller army. That would be interesting. What isn't interesting is having one ability that's superior in every facet of the game 90% of the time.

To me, the protoss is the only race that have a functional macro mechanic. They have a choice to boost their economy or to boost their army. For zerg, their macro mechanic involves no choice - spawn larva if I want to boost my economy, spawn larva if I want to boost my army. For terran, their macro mechanic involves no choice - mule for my economy.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
Saracen
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5139 Posts
May 03 2010 18:03 GMT
#87
On May 04 2010 00:46 Archerofaiur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2010 00:44 atarianimo wrote:
On May 03 2010 23:29 Archerofaiur wrote:

On May 03 2010 23:25 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Chrono: What unit/ upgrade queue do I boost?

Yes

Orbital: What ability do I use?

Yes

Queen: What ability do I use?

No. You want Spawn Larva. 99% of the time.




I think the decision with Zerg is what you do with the extra larva the queen gives you.

It doesnt matter that there is decision making in another part of the game. The fact of the matter is that there is not decision making in when/how to use spawn larva. Its just


Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva
Spawn Larva

You are wrong if you think the Queen is only used for Spawn Larva. There are many times many good Zerg players forgo Spawn Larva for both creep tumors and transfusion. Of course, if they need the larvae, they will use Spawn Larva. But there are many other times where the energy would be better spent on a creep tumor or saved up for transfusions. I don't see how this is any different from the tension between MULE/scan.

@ OP: Deciding which buildings get add-ons and deciding how to use your macro mechanics is a TINY, TINY portion of decision making involved in SC2. And if you think you can so easily label Terran as having more decision making based on the evidence you've given, you're seriously kidding yourself.
zomgzergrush
Profile Joined August 2008
United States923 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-03 18:13:36
May 03 2010 18:11 GMT
#88
You can pretty much cross off transfusion from that zerg tree lol. Cases where you need that are quite situational.

I really don't think decision making is a problem. If you were on the zerg side of things, the big complaint here is the LACK of decisions (comparatively!), that is, it's bland as hell because it's so forcibly linear.

When I refer to decision making, I am completely ignoring the decision of egging. Strictly speaking about macro mechanics and tech pattern options.

On May 04 2010 02:41 alexanderzero wrote:
Thanks for fucking spoiling one of the matches from the HDH invitational. I didn't get to watch it yet...

same here -.-
Bronze skipping straight to Diamond in 40 games retail release. Bnet 2.0 ladder really takes it's sweet time to think about that league placement.
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-03 18:21:41
May 03 2010 18:11 GMT
#89
On May 04 2010 03:03 Saracen wrote:
@ OP: Deciding which buildings get add-ons and deciding how to use your macro mechanics is a TINY, TINY portion of decision making involved in SC2. And if you think you can so easily label Terran as having more decision making based on the evidence you've given, you're seriously kidding yourself.


I hope I didn't come across like that. I am well aware of the fact that I limited my scope A TON (analyzing the full decision making differences between the three races would be a task that you could work your whole life on). More importantly, I didn't claim that Terran has more of a need for decision making overall. I did claim that, in the scope of macro mechanics, I personally feel there is more need for decision making. Again, that has its up- and downsides.

Also, it would help if we would focus less on the, not very well thought out, diagrams I whipped up in Paint and, with that, the talk about the add-ons for Terran production buildings. That's not really a part of the macro mechanics and I now see that including them was a mistake. They are related to the topic at hand, but aren't the topic.
eLiE
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1039 Posts
May 03 2010 18:13 GMT
#90
lol, I wish the zerg suffered from having too many decisions to make (although I'm pretty happy about them in general). And I wouldn't worry about new players coming in and getting overwhelmed, the first game features the terrans, so everyone's gonna be comfortable with them when the game is out. Anyways, its like tossing your kid in the lake to learn how to swim; its funny and you know the kids gonna swim unless they wanna die.
How's the weather down there?
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-03 18:20:30
May 03 2010 18:17 GMT
#91
On May 04 2010 03:11 zomgzergrush wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2010 02:41 alexanderzero wrote:
Thanks for fucking spoiling one of the matches from the HDH invitational. I didn't get to watch it yet...

same here -.-


I apologize for spoiling the game to you guys but threads like this will obviously talk about recent games or use them as references (as is enforced by forum policy). If people didn't do that, we couldn't back up any claims. Also, it's one game out of a best of 3 so it's not like you know any end results.

Maybe a moderator can change the title to include a spoiler warning for an HDH game, I can't seem to edit the title.
Zoltan
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States656 Posts
May 03 2010 18:27 GMT
#92
On May 04 2010 01:01 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Zoltan,

I like the list of questions you created (the ones that you're constantly asking yourself, as a Terran player), but I would argue that any Protoss or Zerg player can formulate a similar set of questions that are constantly going through THEIR heads as well. Being conscientious of things like macro, micro, scouting, harrassment, and other strategies must *always* be going through a great players' head, regardless of their race.


Im not arguing that in the slightest- i just feel theres more involved with terran macro mechanics than the other races in their decision making.
'HOW LONG HAVE THOSE REAPERS BEEN KILLING MY PROBES?!?!
Half
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2554 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-03 18:31:05
May 03 2010 18:29 GMT
#93
I don't understand how you could possible interpret decision making as a bad thing. That is assuming all the decisions you're making are meaningful, and for the most part they are.

Plus, you're diagrams are heavily rigged. Chronoboost what? Chronoboost Upgrade/Army/Eco.
Too Busy to Troll!
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
May 03 2010 18:34 GMT
#94
God, i feel like i'm at Starbucks surrounded by a bunch of hipsters with mac book pros writing screen plays while wearing scarves and the rims of glasses. You don't need to write entire essays to ask or reply to questions. It's like everyone is trying super hard to be recognized in the community, so they write a massive tirade just to be heard.
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
May 03 2010 18:37 GMT
#95
And for the record, decision making is an integral point of ANY game. These thread titles are sending me full tilt. FFFFFF
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 14
Nina 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12288
Rain 2124
Artosis 567
White-Ra 191
Dewaltoss 2
Dota 2
monkeys_forever621
NeuroSwarm145
League of Legends
Doublelift4385
Counter-Strike
taco 156
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1682
ArmadaUGS502
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1181
WinterStarcraft413
Other Games
summit1g8619
Day[9].tv685
shahzam643
JimRising 577
Maynarde155
ViBE149
C9.Mang0144
PiGStarcraft61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick894
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream128
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 124
• davetesta29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra988
• Day9tv685
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 42m
OSC
11h 42m
Stellar Fest
11h 42m
OSC
22h 42m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.