• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:12
CEST 07:12
KST 14:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7886 users

Hot_Bid Obs Interview - Page 3

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
CPTBadAss
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States594 Posts
April 24 2011 17:02 GMT
#41
Hot bid's obs-ing has definitely made the TSL epic so thanks for the cheeky interview and the amazing work. Also, I'm really digging the ROOTWeekly writeups.
I'll keep on struggling, 'cause that's the measure of a man | "That was the plan: To give him some hope, and then crush him" -Stephano
jaydee81
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany119 Posts
April 24 2011 17:10 GMT
#42
Great funny read, what a troll
Inkblood
Profile Joined February 2010
United States463 Posts
April 24 2011 17:44 GMT
#43
Haha, so many hilarious things in this interview, I don't know where to start. So I'll just say:

Thanks for the extremely handsome obsing Hotbid!
LuckyFool
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States9015 Posts
April 24 2011 17:45 GMT
#44
ROFL sooooo good.
phantem
Profile Joined September 2010
United States163 Posts
April 24 2011 17:47 GMT
#45
He should offer obsing lessons

if IdrA was able to charge 150 an hour for telling people how to play the game I can't imagine how much Hotbid could get for telling people how to show the game.
"At MLG Dallas, I got up, bitchslapped hot_bid and went back to bed."-Liquid`Jinro
Cow
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada1104 Posts
April 24 2011 17:49 GMT
#46
LOL. Great interview, HotBid is hilarious xD
R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
FenneK
Profile Joined November 2010
France1231 Posts
April 24 2011 17:53 GMT
#47
lol, h to the otbid hotbid trolling like a pro.
good luck have batman
Kanil
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1713 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-24 17:59:39
April 24 2011 17:59 GMT
#48
So, Hot_Bid says you have to be handsome, attractive, not unattractive... but do you have to be hot? Or will moderately temperatured work? (Do you two have something going on?)
I used to have an Oz icon over here ---->
URfavHO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States514 Posts
April 24 2011 18:01 GMT
#49
lol Hot_Bid, way to give the ultimate interview!
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
April 24 2011 18:02 GMT
#50
On April 24 2011 21:03 XsebT wrote:
lol, obsing is such an art! Entertaining stuff.

And for those who just want to read the interview:
+ Show Spoiler +
What do you feel is the most important part of being an observer?

There are lots of qualities that make a good observer. It's very important to be naturally talented at it and practice from an early age. I started observing when I was eight years old. I obs'd ants and birds and all kinds of stuff before there were even computer games. It was my dream to one day be the obs for a major event. But I'd say the most important part of being an observer three fold: 1) You must be very handsome, 2) You must be attractive, and 3) You must not be unattractive. Observers must scrutinize every part of a game so your own appearance must be perfect.

How do you decide how to prioritize your camera? Do you have some internal ranking of importance?

I have a golden rule of observing: "Whence thou sees thine stuffs happening on screen, thou shalt show thy aforementioned stuffs happening." For those that don't understand latin, it means that you should prioritize the camera on locations where things are happening. Because it is the observer's main job to show things as they are happening. For example, let's say on a map like GSL Tal'Darim Altar, it's a 1v1 and two players spawn in the top right and bottom left positions. In the beginning of the game, I would show the top right player's workers mining in the top right. In fact, I might even show the bottom left's player's workers mining. But I will not show a position that does not have a player there because there is nothing happening.

People call you the third caster sometimes, highlighting events and communicating through actions, do you feel that is fair?

People say that I'm like a third caster. But observing isn't casting. It's not a science - it's an art. I'm a second-generation observer (my father observed GO matches in person back in China). I've been obsing most of my life. I still haven’t got it all figured out. I assume you interview me because someone told you I was the best. Well, I'm only the best because I work with the best. If you don't trust your production crew, your show can't succeed. I'd like to thank R1CH, Kennigit, and of course my union, the Global Observer Directory (GOD) for supporting me.

How hard is it to keep synced up with the casters?

I must say it is very challenging to stay synced with casters. When Day9 says "if you take a look at MC's base," I have to quickly switch to MC's base. These types of instructions may be confusing to an inexperienced observer, but for an observering veteran like myself, I can accomplish this with no problem.

You’re reddit-famous for a sick shout-out, how did you even think of doing that?

I would like to say it's because I realized that the beginning of the game is boring for many people and the observer does not have much to do, and spelling things out with your cursor can make it interesting. Or it could be that I just like Reddit, because r/starcraft is super fun. But neither of those answers would be true. The real reason I do the shout-outs is because it's a way for me to make shoutouts to girls I feel very close to. Special thanks to Bridget, Diana, Melanie, Shawna, Amber, Amy, Cameron, Tysha, Noreen, Paula, Kate Upton, Anna, Rachel, Peanut, Lilsusie, Soe, Tyler's Wife, Smix, those two girls that came with Destiny, Haypro's girlfriend, that girl that draws posters for TL, and of course, Leah B. Jackson.

What is your favourite part of observing the TSL?

My favorite part of observing the TSL is the 50,000 viewers watching. It's not every day you can control what that many people see and hear and feel, unless you're in a country that has a thought police. Even then, you don't have as close a relationship as the viewer does with the obs. You're basically trusting someone with your senses for 3-4 hours on a weekend. In a way, I'm closer to the viewer than their own families. Big thanks to all the fans that watch.

Do you feel that it is integral for an observer to be highly skilled at the game, or is it all about practicing the ancient art of observing?

You have to understand the game at a good level but you don't have to be as good as top players. But you do have to watch a lot of high-level StarCraft tournaments to see how they do it. I watched a ton of OGN and MBC starleagues for StarCraft Brood War, and their observers were amazing. These days more people can be good observers because StarCraft 2 has production tabs, better replays, and all these other features. It's kind of like transitioning from BW to SC2, obsing and playing become easier.

Any shoutouts?

I'd like to thank everyone that made the TSL possible: Plexa, Heyoka and Lovedrop for writing, R1CH for coding, Kennigit and Glider for art, and Waxangel for Korean translation. Thanks to all the other TL staff that helped plan and discuss every little detail as well. Also, thanks to my family: Sean, Michelle, Richard, Kit, Sophie, Maisie, Isaac, and Art.

you shouldn't really do that, they post it like this for pageviews ;p
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
April 24 2011 18:04 GMT
#51
hot bid is so hilarious
Darthozzan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Sweden136 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-24 18:08:32
April 24 2011 18:04 GMT
#52
On April 25 2011 03:02 Pokebunny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2011 21:03 XsebT wrote:
lol, obsing is such an art! Entertaining stuff.

And for those who just want to read the interview:
+ Show Spoiler +
What do you feel is the most important part of being an observer?

There are lots of qualities that make a good observer. It's very important to be naturally talented at it and practice from an early age. I started observing when I was eight years old. I obs'd ants and birds and all kinds of stuff before there were even computer games. It was my dream to one day be the obs for a major event. But I'd say the most important part of being an observer three fold: 1) You must be very handsome, 2) You must be attractive, and 3) You must not be unattractive. Observers must scrutinize every part of a game so your own appearance must be perfect.

How do you decide how to prioritize your camera? Do you have some internal ranking of importance?

I have a golden rule of observing: "Whence thou sees thine stuffs happening on screen, thou shalt show thy aforementioned stuffs happening." For those that don't understand latin, it means that you should prioritize the camera on locations where things are happening. Because it is the observer's main job to show things as they are happening. For example, let's say on a map like GSL Tal'Darim Altar, it's a 1v1 and two players spawn in the top right and bottom left positions. In the beginning of the game, I would show the top right player's workers mining in the top right. In fact, I might even show the bottom left's player's workers mining. But I will not show a position that does not have a player there because there is nothing happening.

People call you the third caster sometimes, highlighting events and communicating through actions, do you feel that is fair?

People say that I'm like a third caster. But observing isn't casting. It's not a science - it's an art. I'm a second-generation observer (my father observed GO matches in person back in China). I've been obsing most of my life. I still haven’t got it all figured out. I assume you interview me because someone told you I was the best. Well, I'm only the best because I work with the best. If you don't trust your production crew, your show can't succeed. I'd like to thank R1CH, Kennigit, and of course my union, the Global Observer Directory (GOD) for supporting me.

How hard is it to keep synced up with the casters?

I must say it is very challenging to stay synced with casters. When Day9 says "if you take a look at MC's base," I have to quickly switch to MC's base. These types of instructions may be confusing to an inexperienced observer, but for an observering veteran like myself, I can accomplish this with no problem.

You’re reddit-famous for a sick shout-out, how did you even think of doing that?

I would like to say it's because I realized that the beginning of the game is boring for many people and the observer does not have much to do, and spelling things out with your cursor can make it interesting. Or it could be that I just like Reddit, because r/starcraft is super fun. But neither of those answers would be true. The real reason I do the shout-outs is because it's a way for me to make shoutouts to girls I feel very close to. Special thanks to Bridget, Diana, Melanie, Shawna, Amber, Amy, Cameron, Tysha, Noreen, Paula, Kate Upton, Anna, Rachel, Peanut, Lilsusie, Soe, Tyler's Wife, Smix, those two girls that came with Destiny, Haypro's girlfriend, that girl that draws posters for TL, and of course, Leah B. Jackson.

What is your favourite part of observing the TSL?

My favorite part of observing the TSL is the 50,000 viewers watching. It's not every day you can control what that many people see and hear and feel, unless you're in a country that has a thought police. Even then, you don't have as close a relationship as the viewer does with the obs. You're basically trusting someone with your senses for 3-4 hours on a weekend. In a way, I'm closer to the viewer than their own families. Big thanks to all the fans that watch.

Do you feel that it is integral for an observer to be highly skilled at the game, or is it all about practicing the ancient art of observing?

You have to understand the game at a good level but you don't have to be as good as top players. But you do have to watch a lot of high-level StarCraft tournaments to see how they do it. I watched a ton of OGN and MBC starleagues for StarCraft Brood War, and their observers were amazing. These days more people can be good observers because StarCraft 2 has production tabs, better replays, and all these other features. It's kind of like transitioning from BW to SC2, obsing and playing become easier.

Any shoutouts?

I'd like to thank everyone that made the TSL possible: Plexa, Heyoka and Lovedrop for writing, R1CH for coding, Kennigit and Glider for art, and Waxangel for Korean translation. Thanks to all the other TL staff that helped plan and discuss every little detail as well. Also, thanks to my family: Sean, Michelle, Richard, Kit, Sophie, Maisie, Isaac, and Art.

you shouldn't really do that, they post it like this for pageviews ;p


It's fine, I understand since it's not a direct link but I hope a few people discover our ROOT weekly and think it's cool ^^ The important thing is to realize how handsome you actually have to be before even considering obsing a game. This wasn't really an attempt to grab pageviews, but I just wanted people to be aware that HotBid actually got interviewed, since it's a bit of a rarity.
http://complexitygaming.com ° @Darthozzan on twitter
Kojaimea
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom277 Posts
April 24 2011 18:09 GMT
#53
Excellent. Sire, you are a scholar of your field.
The riverbed, dried-up, half full of leaves. Us, listening to a river in the trees.
Mahs
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands171 Posts
April 24 2011 18:11 GMT
#54
H to the ot Bid, such a handsome observer. Best interview I've ever seen
I'll be in my bunk.
potatoedoughnut
Profile Joined July 2008
United States334 Posts
April 24 2011 18:13 GMT
#55
Hot_Bid is a hero.
Eagles may soar, but weasels do not get sucked into jet engines.
garbanzo
Profile Joined October 2009
United States4046 Posts
April 24 2011 18:15 GMT
#56
But I'd say the most important part of being an observer three fold: 1) You must be very handsome, 2) You must be attractive, and 3) You must not be unattractive. Observers must scrutinize every part of a game so your own appearance must be perfect.

HotBid is ripping my dreams to shreds. So much for wanting to compete as one of the top observers around.

Great interview. HotBid is a silly goose.
Even during difficult times, when I sat down to play the game, there were times where it felt like god has descended down and played [for me].
Meapak_Ziphh
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6789 Posts
April 24 2011 18:50 GMT
#57
What a baller :D. I always knew we were connected, it's those magical moments when he controls what I experience.
Forti et Fideli ~ TL Mafia Forum: Come play with us! ~ Go Samsung KHAN, Stork, JangBi , Shine, Grape, and TurN Fighting!~ wat
ex000r
Profile Joined May 2010
Switzerland74 Posts
April 24 2011 19:04 GMT
#58
i don't like the tsl observer. he pushes himself too much to foreground
elmizzt
Profile Joined February 2010
United States3309 Posts
April 24 2011 19:16 GMT
#59
hahahha one of the funniest interviews i've read. H_B never disappoints <333
d=(^_^)z
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
April 24 2011 19:19 GMT
#60
lol
Moderator<:3-/-<
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 84
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2141
Shuttle 1034
Dewaltoss 69
Hm[arnc] 35
Bale 31
Noble 27
ZergMaN 13
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm166
League of Legends
JimRising 621
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1112
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor723
Other Games
summit1g8195
PiGStarcraft303
C9.Mang0292
Mew2King156
RuFF_SC274
ViBE54
ArmadaUGS37
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream72
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 26
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2325
League of Legends
• Lourlo1102
• Rush1035
• Stunt353
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
7h 48m
OSC
16h 48m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 4h
Online Event
1d 5h
FEL
1d 10h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 11h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 13h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.