• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:13
CEST 07:13
KST 14:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7973 users

Hot_Bid Obs Interview - Page 4

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Zamiel
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States211 Posts
April 24 2011 19:22 GMT
#61
omg, i was seriously crying i was laughing so hard
i love you hot bid
"Mech is at the store buying groceries and you attack him at home. You burn his house down. And then he comes home and puts out the fire, and then you burn down the grocery store so he can't buy more groceries."
Jakalo
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Latvia2350 Posts
April 24 2011 19:35 GMT
#62
Pure win
Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be.
javy_
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1677 Posts
April 24 2011 19:43 GMT
#63
Special thanks to Bridget, Diana, Melanie, Shawna, Amber, Amy, Cameron, Tysha, Noreen, Paula, Kate Upton, Anna, Rachel, Peanut, Lilsusie, Soe, Tyler's Wife, Smix, those two girls that came with Destiny, Haypro's girlfriend, that girl that draws posters for TL, and of course, Leah B. Jackson.


hawt damn, what a player
♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Golden Ghost
Profile Joined February 2003
Netherlands1041 Posts
April 24 2011 19:49 GMT
#64
On April 24 2011 22:20 Dystisis wrote:
Haha his "family" which he thanks at the end is the first names of the Stark family actors in Game of Thrones tv series.

I already thought those names sounded familiar. After your comment I read them again and literally said to myself "How didn't I notice this the first time..."
Life is to give and take. You take a vacation and you give to the poor.
Faria
Profile Joined February 2011
155 Posts
April 24 2011 20:06 GMT
#65
hotbid really is a good obs, you can see a difference compared to some of the other tourney obs, he's always on top of the game and flows well with what the casters are saying, never misses a beat <3
^-^
mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
April 24 2011 20:06 GMT
#66
LOLOL oh my gawddddd. Such a funny interview.
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
Irave
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9965 Posts
April 24 2011 20:08 GMT
#67
This is easily the best interview I have ever read. Hot_Bid #1!
Ruyguy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada988 Posts
April 24 2011 20:15 GMT
#68
Trololololol very funny interview.
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
April 24 2011 20:34 GMT
#69
On April 25 2011 04:43 javy925 wrote:
Show nested quote +
Special thanks to Bridget, Diana, Melanie, Shawna, Amber, Amy, Cameron, Tysha, Noreen, Paula, Kate Upton, Anna, Rachel, Peanut, Lilsusie, Soe, Tyler's Wife, Smix, those two girls that came with Destiny, Haypro's girlfriend, that girl that draws posters for TL, and of course, Leah B. Jackson.


hawt damn, what a player

lol Kate Upton. I see you HB!!!
✌
Loddigesia
Profile Joined April 2010
247 Posts
April 24 2011 20:38 GMT
#70
Haha great interview, really funny ^_^
<3 Hot_Bid
aka gorfou
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
April 24 2011 20:54 GMT
#71
Hah! <3 you HB

+ Show Spoiler +
best interview huehuehue
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
MasterOfChaos
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Germany2896 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-24 21:03:31
April 24 2011 21:00 GMT
#72
Also, thanks to my family: Sean, Michelle, Richard, Kit, Sophie, Maisie, Isaac, and Art.

Nice that you're only faceless and not faithless still remembering your family now that you've been exiled to the land of administration.
LiquipediaOne eye to kill. Two eyes to live.
kvn4444
Profile Joined September 2010
1510 Posts
April 24 2011 21:16 GMT
#73
funny interview, thanks for conducting it. has a funny sense of humor, the film preview thing he did is great for those who havent' seen it hehe.
Sablar
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Sweden880 Posts
April 24 2011 21:22 GMT
#74
It's good to see someone being professional about this important aspect of SC2 gaming. Without observing SC2 - how could we see it? I think that says a lot.

I just hope hot_bid won't loose himself in the wealth and fame like so many obs that have come before.
Shana
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Indonesia1814 Posts
April 24 2011 21:29 GMT
#75
Best interview ever

<3 Hot_Bid
Believing in what lies ahead. | That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
cYaN
Profile Joined May 2004
Norway3322 Posts
April 24 2011 21:37 GMT
#76
Had to stop reading after a bit. I don't really find trolling that funny. Guess I'm in the minority.
Euronyme
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden3804 Posts
April 24 2011 22:00 GMT
#77
On April 24 2011 21:48 GTR wrote:
haypro has a gf?
boy you sure do learn something every day.


lol what's that supposed to mean? ^^

Great interview. I've really been enjoying the obsing actually. It's probably better than the GOM ones. You just need to throw in some fancy tilt screens
I bet i can maı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨̨̨̨̨̨ke you wipe your screen.
StifSokSamurai
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States120 Posts
April 24 2011 22:25 GMT
#78
This was a really fun read! Thanks.
Gatsbi
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1134 Posts
April 24 2011 22:26 GMT
#79
hahahaha, what an excellent interview. Hot_Bid, never change.
"IF WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW IS MORE THAN WHAT YOU HAVE KNOWN. THEN YOU HAVE NOT KNOWN ANYTHINIG YET." - Rev Kojo Smith
XsebT
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Denmark2980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-24 22:32:47
April 24 2011 22:26 GMT
#80
On April 25 2011 03:02 Pokebunny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2011 21:03 XsebT wrote:
lol, obsing is such an art! Entertaining stuff.

And for those who just want to read the interview:
+ Show Spoiler +
What do you feel is the most important part of being an observer?

There are lots of qualities that make a good observer. It's very important to be naturally talented at it and practice from an early age. I started observing when I was eight years old. I obs'd ants and birds and all kinds of stuff before there were even computer games. It was my dream to one day be the obs for a major event. But I'd say the most important part of being an observer three fold: 1) You must be very handsome, 2) You must be attractive, and 3) You must not be unattractive. Observers must scrutinize every part of a game so your own appearance must be perfect.

How do you decide how to prioritize your camera? Do you have some internal ranking of importance?

I have a golden rule of observing: "Whence thou sees thine stuffs happening on screen, thou shalt show thy aforementioned stuffs happening." For those that don't understand latin, it means that you should prioritize the camera on locations where things are happening. Because it is the observer's main job to show things as they are happening. For example, let's say on a map like GSL Tal'Darim Altar, it's a 1v1 and two players spawn in the top right and bottom left positions. In the beginning of the game, I would show the top right player's workers mining in the top right. In fact, I might even show the bottom left's player's workers mining. But I will not show a position that does not have a player there because there is nothing happening.

People call you the third caster sometimes, highlighting events and communicating through actions, do you feel that is fair?

People say that I'm like a third caster. But observing isn't casting. It's not a science - it's an art. I'm a second-generation observer (my father observed GO matches in person back in China). I've been obsing most of my life. I still haven’t got it all figured out. I assume you interview me because someone told you I was the best. Well, I'm only the best because I work with the best. If you don't trust your production crew, your show can't succeed. I'd like to thank R1CH, Kennigit, and of course my union, the Global Observer Directory (GOD) for supporting me.

How hard is it to keep synced up with the casters?

I must say it is very challenging to stay synced with casters. When Day9 says "if you take a look at MC's base," I have to quickly switch to MC's base. These types of instructions may be confusing to an inexperienced observer, but for an observering veteran like myself, I can accomplish this with no problem.

You’re reddit-famous for a sick shout-out, how did you even think of doing that?

I would like to say it's because I realized that the beginning of the game is boring for many people and the observer does not have much to do, and spelling things out with your cursor can make it interesting. Or it could be that I just like Reddit, because r/starcraft is super fun. But neither of those answers would be true. The real reason I do the shout-outs is because it's a way for me to make shoutouts to girls I feel very close to. Special thanks to Bridget, Diana, Melanie, Shawna, Amber, Amy, Cameron, Tysha, Noreen, Paula, Kate Upton, Anna, Rachel, Peanut, Lilsusie, Soe, Tyler's Wife, Smix, those two girls that came with Destiny, Haypro's girlfriend, that girl that draws posters for TL, and of course, Leah B. Jackson.

What is your favourite part of observing the TSL?

My favorite part of observing the TSL is the 50,000 viewers watching. It's not every day you can control what that many people see and hear and feel, unless you're in a country that has a thought police. Even then, you don't have as close a relationship as the viewer does with the obs. You're basically trusting someone with your senses for 3-4 hours on a weekend. In a way, I'm closer to the viewer than their own families. Big thanks to all the fans that watch.

Do you feel that it is integral for an observer to be highly skilled at the game, or is it all about practicing the ancient art of observing?

You have to understand the game at a good level but you don't have to be as good as top players. But you do have to watch a lot of high-level StarCraft tournaments to see how they do it. I watched a ton of OGN and MBC starleagues for StarCraft Brood War, and their observers were amazing. These days more people can be good observers because StarCraft 2 has production tabs, better replays, and all these other features. It's kind of like transitioning from BW to SC2, obsing and playing become easier.

Any shoutouts?

I'd like to thank everyone that made the TSL possible: Plexa, Heyoka and Lovedrop for writing, R1CH for coding, Kennigit and Glider for art, and Waxangel for Korean translation. Thanks to all the other TL staff that helped plan and discuss every little detail as well. Also, thanks to my family: Sean, Michelle, Richard, Kit, Sophie, Maisie, Isaac, and Art.

you shouldn't really do that, they post it like this for pageviews ;p

I know that, but when did that stuff become acceptable around here? When I click a thread saying "interview" I expect to see a fucking interview and not additional ads/pages. I have no problem with them then mentioning their page and features in the thread aswell, but this method is just so lame and I hate it. This is my little cause that I'm gonna keep fighting for since nothing is really stopping me (unless it's a sponsored thread).

edit, like:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=154491
화이팅
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 84
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2141
Shuttle 1034
Dewaltoss 69
Hm[arnc] 35
Bale 31
Noble 27
ZergMaN 13
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm166
League of Legends
JimRising 621
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1112
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor723
Other Games
summit1g8195
PiGStarcraft303
C9.Mang0292
Mew2King156
RuFF_SC274
ViBE54
ArmadaUGS37
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream72
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 26
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2325
League of Legends
• Lourlo1102
• Rush1035
• Stunt353
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
7h 47m
OSC
16h 47m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 4h
Online Event
1d 5h
FEL
1d 10h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 11h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 13h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.