• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:34
CEST 15:34
KST 22:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10988 users

Gay StarCraft Players - Page 206

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 204 205 206 207 208 370 Next
Don't post in this thread to say "gay gamers are like everyone else, why do they have a special thread?" It is something that has been posted numerous times, and this isn't the place for that discussion.

For regular posters, don't quote the trolls.
Velocirapture
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States983 Posts
January 12 2012 03:36 GMT
#4101
On January 12 2012 12:09 matjlav wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2012 00:33 Klondikebar wrote:
So, bored and work and decided to do a t-test on the poll. Statistically, the racial distribution of gay players is equal. Just in care you were curious.


Hm, I think you need to fix your understanding of statistics. No statistical test on that poll can show that the distributions are equal; it might just not prove that they're not equal. That's why the language is "reject" or "do not reject" the null hypothesis that the distributions are equal instead of "reject" and "accept." When you get a value of alpha above the threshhold probability, it's just showing you that if the distributions are equal, the given result is not all that unlikely, which doesn't constitute proof at all that they are in fact equal; it just leaves the possibility open, unlike if you get a very small alpha.

Also, I believe that the chi-squared test is appropriate for this sort of thing, not a simple t-test

Sorry, I just had to...


Most non statustician humanities majors only cover stats through ANOVA. I only know this because I accidentally took the class as a science major. I always considered myself terrible at math until i took that class and realised my perception is skewed by all my engineering/physics friends.
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 04:42:38
January 12 2012 04:16 GMT
#4102
On January 12 2012 12:09 matjlav wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2012 00:33 Klondikebar wrote:
So, bored and work and decided to do a t-test on the poll. Statistically, the racial distribution of gay players is equal. Just in care you were curious.


Hm, I think you need to fix your understanding of statistics. No statistical test on that poll can show that the distributions are equal; it might just not prove that they're not equal. That's why the language is "reject" or "do not reject" the null hypothesis that the distributions are equal instead of "reject" and "accept." When you get a value of alpha above the threshhold probability, it's just showing you that if the distributions are equal, the given result is not all that unlikely, which doesn't constitute proof at all that they are in fact equal; it just leaves the possibility open, unlike if you get a very small alpha.

Also, I believe that the chi-squared test is appropriate for this sort of thing, not a simple t-test

Sorry, I just had to...


Eh, you're right. It's been 4 years since I've dealt with that stuff so I'm a little rusty. I took the class freshman year and after that you do EVERYTHING in Stata and you never bother with simple stuff. And it doesn't help that the job that hired me to do statistics really has no idea what statistics is...all they want is connect the dot graphs.

Hopefully I'll pick it back up when I start studying for my CFA exams in a couple of days :/

I was always better at Economic theory than I was at statistics but part of getting the degree means taking Statistics. I really kinda loathe math. The only thing about it I like is that, when done correctly, it's always certain.
#2throwed
adrenaLinG
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada676 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 13:25:58
January 12 2012 13:21 GMT
#4103
On January 12 2012 13:16 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 12:09 matjlav wrote:
On January 11 2012 00:33 Klondikebar wrote:
So, bored and work and decided to do a t-test on the poll. Statistically, the racial distribution of gay players is equal. Just in care you were curious.


Hm, I think you need to fix your understanding of statistics. No statistical test on that poll can show that the distributions are equal; it might just not prove that they're not equal. That's why the language is "reject" or "do not reject" the null hypothesis that the distributions are equal instead of "reject" and "accept." When you get a value of alpha above the threshhold probability, it's just showing you that if the distributions are equal, the given result is not all that unlikely, which doesn't constitute proof at all that they are in fact equal; it just leaves the possibility open, unlike if you get a very small alpha.

Also, I believe that the chi-squared test is appropriate for this sort of thing, not a simple t-test

Sorry, I just had to...


Eh, you're right. It's been 4 years since I've dealt with that stuff so I'm a little rusty. I took the class freshman year and after that you do EVERYTHING in Stata and you never bother with simple stuff. And it doesn't help that the job that hired me to do statistics really has no idea what statistics is...all they want is connect the dot graphs.

Hopefully I'll pick it back up when I start studying for my CFA exams in a couple of days :/

I was always better at Economic theory than I was at statistics but part of getting the degree means taking Statistics. I really kinda loathe math. The only thing about it I like is that, when done correctly, it's always certain.


Most advanced economics require substantial math though. Even at the undergraduate level econometrics and the intermediate courses have a good amount of it.

Also don't go for the CFA unless you have a job that requires it (portfolio manager or equity research), the designation is quite saturated atm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
January 12 2012 13:31 GMT
#4104
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
January 12 2012 13:35 GMT
#4105
On January 12 2012 22:21 adrenaLinG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 13:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:09 matjlav wrote:
On January 11 2012 00:33 Klondikebar wrote:
So, bored and work and decided to do a t-test on the poll. Statistically, the racial distribution of gay players is equal. Just in care you were curious.


Hm, I think you need to fix your understanding of statistics. No statistical test on that poll can show that the distributions are equal; it might just not prove that they're not equal. That's why the language is "reject" or "do not reject" the null hypothesis that the distributions are equal instead of "reject" and "accept." When you get a value of alpha above the threshhold probability, it's just showing you that if the distributions are equal, the given result is not all that unlikely, which doesn't constitute proof at all that they are in fact equal; it just leaves the possibility open, unlike if you get a very small alpha.

Also, I believe that the chi-squared test is appropriate for this sort of thing, not a simple t-test

Sorry, I just had to...


Eh, you're right. It's been 4 years since I've dealt with that stuff so I'm a little rusty. I took the class freshman year and after that you do EVERYTHING in Stata and you never bother with simple stuff. And it doesn't help that the job that hired me to do statistics really has no idea what statistics is...all they want is connect the dot graphs.

Hopefully I'll pick it back up when I start studying for my CFA exams in a couple of days :/

I was always better at Economic theory than I was at statistics but part of getting the degree means taking Statistics. I really kinda loathe math. The only thing about it I like is that, when done correctly, it's always certain.


Most advanced economics require substantial math though. Even at the undergraduate level econometrics and the intermediate courses have a good amount of it.

Also don't go for the CFA unless you have a job that requires it (portfolio manager or equity research), the designation is quite saturated atm


I'm going for CFA because I want it, not because of employment. And yes, advanced economics requires substantial math...all of which is done by a computer and you never have to go back to entry level statistics again.
#2throwed
Mindor
Profile Joined December 2011
169 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 18:26:44
January 12 2012 13:55 GMT
#4106
God, I hate you all so much! Poor economy student comes on TL, stumbles onto this thread and what do I have to face!? I'm having introduction into econometrics II. (go figure the introduction with the II.) exam a week from today and multivariate data analysis (which is basically the same thing with a fancy program on a computer) four days after that. And now I can't unsee this thread! It's like statistics is haunting me.
Troxle
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States486 Posts
January 12 2012 14:30 GMT
#4107
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!
If you're homophobic, you're probably ugly, so don't worry about a gay guy coming onto you. - jarrydesque
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
January 12 2012 14:56 GMT
#4108
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Don't try to understand my posts...I heinously misstated a conclusion and used the wrong test. Although on the bright side I did go back and re-learn some stuff so I guess there's a silver lining. It's like trying to learn to walk again though. The stuff is so simple and stupid there really is no excuse for forgetting it other than my brain is just rotting.
#2throwed
sjames
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Australia27 Posts
January 12 2012 15:45 GMT
#4109
Personally I dont understand why gay people need special representation in anything. If they were "normal" (as they claim to be) then why is this all such a big deal? Hypocrites

User was warned for this post

User was temp banned for this post.
"Its only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything" - SJames.
Troxle
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States486 Posts
January 12 2012 19:49 GMT
#4110
On January 12 2012 23:56 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Don't try to understand my posts...I heinously misstated a conclusion and used the wrong test. Although on the bright side I did go back and re-learn some stuff so I guess there's a silver lining. It's like trying to learn to walk again though. The stuff is so simple and stupid there really is no excuse for forgetting it other than my brain is just rotting.


I don't understand all these tests you talk about haha! I'm used to my theorms and derivatives
If you're homophobic, you're probably ugly, so don't worry about a gay guy coming onto you. - jarrydesque
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
January 12 2012 20:11 GMT
#4111
On January 13 2012 04:49 Troxle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 23:56 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Don't try to understand my posts...I heinously misstated a conclusion and used the wrong test. Although on the bright side I did go back and re-learn some stuff so I guess there's a silver lining. It's like trying to learn to walk again though. The stuff is so simple and stupid there really is no excuse for forgetting it other than my brain is just rotting.


I don't understand all these tests you talk about haha! I'm used to my theorms and derivatives


We're all smart in different fields! When our powers combine...
#2throwed
matjlav
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany2435 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-13 00:30:37
January 13 2012 00:28 GMT
#4112
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Yeah, basic stats is much easier than calc. I've heard that advanced stats is a good deal harder than the basic stuff, though.

Basically, when you're trying to test some hypothesis about a proportion (e.g. the proportion of red-haired people in the US or the proportion of gay Zergs), you start by assuming the proportion to equal something (this is the "null hypothesis"). Then, using a t-test, you can figure out the probability that you would get the results you did, assuming the null hypothesis to be true. If this probability is very small, you can say that the null hypothesis is false because what happened would have been very unlikely if it were true. If it's larger, then you say that you "do not reject" the null hypothesis, because it doesn't show that your hypothesis is true; it just shows that if it is true, then your results aren't too weird.

Calc is way more interesting though, in my opinion. Also prettier! I love integral signs. In multivar, most people hated when we did triple integrals in polar coordinates, but I loved it because it's so damn pretty. Seriously, I was doing homework on a plane home for Thanksgiving, and the flight attendant complemented me on how pretty my homework was. Awesome.

Gay engineers represent?
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
January 13 2012 00:36 GMT
#4113
On January 13 2012 09:28 matjlav wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Yeah, basic stats is much easier than calc. I've heard that advanced stats is a good deal harder than the basic stuff, though.

Basically, when you're trying to test some hypothesis about a proportion (e.g. the proportion of red-haired people in the US or the proportion of gay Zergs), you start by assuming the proportion to equal something (this is the "null hypothesis"). Then, using a t-test, you can figure out the probability that you would get the results you did, assuming the null hypothesis to be true. If this probability is very small, you can say that the null hypothesis is false because what happened would have been very unlikely if it were true. If it's larger, then you say that you "do not reject" the null hypothesis, because it doesn't show that your hypothesis is true; it just shows that if it is true, then your results aren't too weird.

Calc is way more interesting though, in my opinion. Also prettier! I love integral signs. In multivar, most people hated when we did triple integrals in polar coordinates, but I loved it because it's so damn pretty. Seriously, I was doing homework on a plane home for Thanksgiving, and the flight attendant complemented me on how pretty my homework was. Awesome.

Gay engineers represent?


I'm not an engineer but I am WAY jealous of gay engineer sex.

[image loading]

#2throwed
matjlav
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany2435 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-13 01:04:57
January 13 2012 01:03 GMT
#4114
On January 13 2012 09:36 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2012 09:28 matjlav wrote:
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Yeah, basic stats is much easier than calc. I've heard that advanced stats is a good deal harder than the basic stuff, though.

Basically, when you're trying to test some hypothesis about a proportion (e.g. the proportion of red-haired people in the US or the proportion of gay Zergs), you start by assuming the proportion to equal something (this is the "null hypothesis"). Then, using a t-test, you can figure out the probability that you would get the results you did, assuming the null hypothesis to be true. If this probability is very small, you can say that the null hypothesis is false because what happened would have been very unlikely if it were true. If it's larger, then you say that you "do not reject" the null hypothesis, because it doesn't show that your hypothesis is true; it just shows that if it is true, then your results aren't too weird.

Calc is way more interesting though, in my opinion. Also prettier! I love integral signs. In multivar, most people hated when we did triple integrals in polar coordinates, but I loved it because it's so damn pretty. Seriously, I was doing homework on a plane home for Thanksgiving, and the flight attendant complemented me on how pretty my homework was. Awesome.

Gay engineers represent?


I'm not an engineer but I am WAY jealous of gay engineer sex.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




Haha, love SMBC. Though that comic assumes that the gay engineers (unlike me) are not too socially awkward to get a boyfriend On that note, it looks like I'll be going on my first actual date - ever - this weekend. Wish me luck, lol.
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
January 13 2012 01:06 GMT
#4115
On January 13 2012 10:03 matjlav wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2012 09:36 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:28 matjlav wrote:
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Yeah, basic stats is much easier than calc. I've heard that advanced stats is a good deal harder than the basic stuff, though.

Basically, when you're trying to test some hypothesis about a proportion (e.g. the proportion of red-haired people in the US or the proportion of gay Zergs), you start by assuming the proportion to equal something (this is the "null hypothesis"). Then, using a t-test, you can figure out the probability that you would get the results you did, assuming the null hypothesis to be true. If this probability is very small, you can say that the null hypothesis is false because what happened would have been very unlikely if it were true. If it's larger, then you say that you "do not reject" the null hypothesis, because it doesn't show that your hypothesis is true; it just shows that if it is true, then your results aren't too weird.

Calc is way more interesting though, in my opinion. Also prettier! I love integral signs. In multivar, most people hated when we did triple integrals in polar coordinates, but I loved it because it's so damn pretty. Seriously, I was doing homework on a plane home for Thanksgiving, and the flight attendant complemented me on how pretty my homework was. Awesome.

Gay engineers represent?


I'm not an engineer but I am WAY jealous of gay engineer sex.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




Haha, love SMBC. Though that comic assumes that the gay engineers (unlike me) are not too socially awkward to get a boyfriend On that note, it looks like I'll be going on my first actual date - ever - this weekend. Wish me luck, lol.


LUCK WISHED! That's actually a really exciting landmark.
#2throwed
matjlav
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany2435 Posts
January 13 2012 01:32 GMT
#4116
On January 13 2012 10:06 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2012 10:03 matjlav wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:36 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:28 matjlav wrote:
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Yeah, basic stats is much easier than calc. I've heard that advanced stats is a good deal harder than the basic stuff, though.

Basically, when you're trying to test some hypothesis about a proportion (e.g. the proportion of red-haired people in the US or the proportion of gay Zergs), you start by assuming the proportion to equal something (this is the "null hypothesis"). Then, using a t-test, you can figure out the probability that you would get the results you did, assuming the null hypothesis to be true. If this probability is very small, you can say that the null hypothesis is false because what happened would have been very unlikely if it were true. If it's larger, then you say that you "do not reject" the null hypothesis, because it doesn't show that your hypothesis is true; it just shows that if it is true, then your results aren't too weird.

Calc is way more interesting though, in my opinion. Also prettier! I love integral signs. In multivar, most people hated when we did triple integrals in polar coordinates, but I loved it because it's so damn pretty. Seriously, I was doing homework on a plane home for Thanksgiving, and the flight attendant complemented me on how pretty my homework was. Awesome.

Gay engineers represent?


I'm not an engineer but I am WAY jealous of gay engineer sex.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




Haha, love SMBC. Though that comic assumes that the gay engineers (unlike me) are not too socially awkward to get a boyfriend On that note, it looks like I'll be going on my first actual date - ever - this weekend. Wish me luck, lol.


LUCK WISHED! That's actually a really exciting landmark.


Haha, yes, it should be. Unfortunately, most of what my mind says to me about that is "WHY DID IT TAKE YOU SO DAMN LONG." Ah, well. Still pretty excited though.
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
January 13 2012 01:39 GMT
#4117
On January 13 2012 10:32 matjlav wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2012 10:06 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 10:03 matjlav wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:36 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:28 matjlav wrote:
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Yeah, basic stats is much easier than calc. I've heard that advanced stats is a good deal harder than the basic stuff, though.

Basically, when you're trying to test some hypothesis about a proportion (e.g. the proportion of red-haired people in the US or the proportion of gay Zergs), you start by assuming the proportion to equal something (this is the "null hypothesis"). Then, using a t-test, you can figure out the probability that you would get the results you did, assuming the null hypothesis to be true. If this probability is very small, you can say that the null hypothesis is false because what happened would have been very unlikely if it were true. If it's larger, then you say that you "do not reject" the null hypothesis, because it doesn't show that your hypothesis is true; it just shows that if it is true, then your results aren't too weird.

Calc is way more interesting though, in my opinion. Also prettier! I love integral signs. In multivar, most people hated when we did triple integrals in polar coordinates, but I loved it because it's so damn pretty. Seriously, I was doing homework on a plane home for Thanksgiving, and the flight attendant complemented me on how pretty my homework was. Awesome.

Gay engineers represent?


I'm not an engineer but I am WAY jealous of gay engineer sex.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




Haha, love SMBC. Though that comic assumes that the gay engineers (unlike me) are not too socially awkward to get a boyfriend On that note, it looks like I'll be going on my first actual date - ever - this weekend. Wish me luck, lol.


LUCK WISHED! That's actually a really exciting landmark.


Haha, yes, it should be. Unfortunately, most of what my mind says to me about that is "WHY DID IT TAKE YOU SO DAMN LONG." Ah, well. Still pretty excited though.

wooo partayy!
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
January 13 2012 01:45 GMT
#4118
On January 13 2012 10:32 matjlav wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2012 10:06 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 10:03 matjlav wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:36 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:28 matjlav wrote:
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Yeah, basic stats is much easier than calc. I've heard that advanced stats is a good deal harder than the basic stuff, though.

Basically, when you're trying to test some hypothesis about a proportion (e.g. the proportion of red-haired people in the US or the proportion of gay Zergs), you start by assuming the proportion to equal something (this is the "null hypothesis"). Then, using a t-test, you can figure out the probability that you would get the results you did, assuming the null hypothesis to be true. If this probability is very small, you can say that the null hypothesis is false because what happened would have been very unlikely if it were true. If it's larger, then you say that you "do not reject" the null hypothesis, because it doesn't show that your hypothesis is true; it just shows that if it is true, then your results aren't too weird.

Calc is way more interesting though, in my opinion. Also prettier! I love integral signs. In multivar, most people hated when we did triple integrals in polar coordinates, but I loved it because it's so damn pretty. Seriously, I was doing homework on a plane home for Thanksgiving, and the flight attendant complemented me on how pretty my homework was. Awesome.

Gay engineers represent?


I'm not an engineer but I am WAY jealous of gay engineer sex.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




Haha, love SMBC. Though that comic assumes that the gay engineers (unlike me) are not too socially awkward to get a boyfriend On that note, it looks like I'll be going on my first actual date - ever - this weekend. Wish me luck, lol.


LUCK WISHED! That's actually a really exciting landmark.


Haha, yes, it should be. Unfortunately, most of what my mind says to me about that is "WHY DID IT TAKE YOU SO DAMN LONG." Ah, well. Still pretty excited though.


Because gay guys have a harder time accepting that they like guys, they have a harder time being comfortable or feeling safe in public with another guy, and then statistically...it's just harder for gay guys to even find each other to ask each other out. I would venture that most, if not all, of us started dating WAY later than our straight friends.
#2throwed
matjlav
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany2435 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-13 01:50:58
January 13 2012 01:50 GMT
#4119
On January 13 2012 10:45 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2012 10:32 matjlav wrote:
On January 13 2012 10:06 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 10:03 matjlav wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:36 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:28 matjlav wrote:
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Yeah, basic stats is much easier than calc. I've heard that advanced stats is a good deal harder than the basic stuff, though.

Basically, when you're trying to test some hypothesis about a proportion (e.g. the proportion of red-haired people in the US or the proportion of gay Zergs), you start by assuming the proportion to equal something (this is the "null hypothesis"). Then, using a t-test, you can figure out the probability that you would get the results you did, assuming the null hypothesis to be true. If this probability is very small, you can say that the null hypothesis is false because what happened would have been very unlikely if it were true. If it's larger, then you say that you "do not reject" the null hypothesis, because it doesn't show that your hypothesis is true; it just shows that if it is true, then your results aren't too weird.

Calc is way more interesting though, in my opinion. Also prettier! I love integral signs. In multivar, most people hated when we did triple integrals in polar coordinates, but I loved it because it's so damn pretty. Seriously, I was doing homework on a plane home for Thanksgiving, and the flight attendant complemented me on how pretty my homework was. Awesome.

Gay engineers represent?


I'm not an engineer but I am WAY jealous of gay engineer sex.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




Haha, love SMBC. Though that comic assumes that the gay engineers (unlike me) are not too socially awkward to get a boyfriend On that note, it looks like I'll be going on my first actual date - ever - this weekend. Wish me luck, lol.


LUCK WISHED! That's actually a really exciting landmark.


Haha, yes, it should be. Unfortunately, most of what my mind says to me about that is "WHY DID IT TAKE YOU SO DAMN LONG." Ah, well. Still pretty excited though.


Because gay guys have a harder time accepting that they like guys, they have a harder time being comfortable or feeling safe in public with another guy, and then statistically...it's just harder for gay guys to even find each other to ask each other out. I would venture that most, if not all, of us started dating WAY later than our straight friends.


Yeah, but the weird thing is that I've been totally okay with it for years. I just didn't come out until the last few months mostly because I just never felt like I had a good way to break the subject, haha. Also a general dislike of changing the status quo. and I think I was always kind of nervous that I would still never get laid after coming out, and then I'd be out of excuses for myself. I dunno. Things are at least looking up at the moment.
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
January 13 2012 02:05 GMT
#4120
On January 13 2012 10:50 matjlav wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2012 10:45 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 10:32 matjlav wrote:
On January 13 2012 10:06 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 10:03 matjlav wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:36 Klondikebar wrote:
On January 13 2012 09:28 matjlav wrote:
On January 12 2012 23:30 Troxle wrote:
On January 12 2012 22:31 Roe wrote:
On January 12 2012 12:33 Troxle wrote:
Statistics....so glad I only have to deal with Calculus. That looks too confusing for my brain. (I attempted to read it, but I got lost in all the terminology and lack of understanding...)

statistics harder than calculus? whaaaaaat?


I've never taken statistics so I wouldn't know to be honest, just trying to understand what is being talked about right now is lost on me. If it was Calculus talk y'all would probably be the same way as I feel now though!


Yeah, basic stats is much easier than calc. I've heard that advanced stats is a good deal harder than the basic stuff, though.

Basically, when you're trying to test some hypothesis about a proportion (e.g. the proportion of red-haired people in the US or the proportion of gay Zergs), you start by assuming the proportion to equal something (this is the "null hypothesis"). Then, using a t-test, you can figure out the probability that you would get the results you did, assuming the null hypothesis to be true. If this probability is very small, you can say that the null hypothesis is false because what happened would have been very unlikely if it were true. If it's larger, then you say that you "do not reject" the null hypothesis, because it doesn't show that your hypothesis is true; it just shows that if it is true, then your results aren't too weird.

Calc is way more interesting though, in my opinion. Also prettier! I love integral signs. In multivar, most people hated when we did triple integrals in polar coordinates, but I loved it because it's so damn pretty. Seriously, I was doing homework on a plane home for Thanksgiving, and the flight attendant complemented me on how pretty my homework was. Awesome.

Gay engineers represent?


I'm not an engineer but I am WAY jealous of gay engineer sex.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




Haha, love SMBC. Though that comic assumes that the gay engineers (unlike me) are not too socially awkward to get a boyfriend On that note, it looks like I'll be going on my first actual date - ever - this weekend. Wish me luck, lol.


LUCK WISHED! That's actually a really exciting landmark.


Haha, yes, it should be. Unfortunately, most of what my mind says to me about that is "WHY DID IT TAKE YOU SO DAMN LONG." Ah, well. Still pretty excited though.


Because gay guys have a harder time accepting that they like guys, they have a harder time being comfortable or feeling safe in public with another guy, and then statistically...it's just harder for gay guys to even find each other to ask each other out. I would venture that most, if not all, of us started dating WAY later than our straight friends.


Yeah, but the weird thing is that I've been totally okay with it for years. I just didn't come out until the last few months mostly because I just never felt like I had a good way to break the subject, haha. Also a general dislike of changing the status quo. and I think I was always kind of nervous that I would still never get laid after coming out, and then I'd be out of excuses for myself. I dunno. Things are at least looking up at the moment.


And be excited about the looking up! Remember, analyzing why you failed is only relevant if you haven't done anything to fix it. You fixed it.
#2throwed
Prev 1 204 205 206 207 208 370 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 355
ComeBackTV 204
SteadfastSC182
Rex108
CosmosSc2 44
LiquipediaDiscussion
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 182
ProTech146
Rex 108
CosmosSc2 44
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 52504
firebathero 1321
Jaedong 1224
Hyuk 922
EffOrt 499
Soulkey 442
Horang2 432
Mini 422
Soma 409
BeSt 398
[ Show more ]
Last 316
actioN 305
Stork 287
Light 273
Larva 270
Zeus 265
ggaemo 198
ZerO 177
Snow 161
Rush 140
910 121
Killer 86
Pusan 72
Mind 63
Shine 57
hero 52
Creator 48
Free 42
Yoon 40
Sharp 37
Shinee 34
ToSsGirL 26
Bale 22
JYJ 20
HiyA 17
Terrorterran 16
yabsab 14
sorry 14
Noble 14
Icarus 7
Rock 6
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc10338
Dendi739
Counter-Strike
markeloff103
edward58
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1780
crisheroes1628
Other Games
gofns37675
singsing2352
olofmeister1264
B2W.Neo905
hiko544
byalli333
XBOCT302
Pyrionflax244
Liquid`VortiX99
Mew2King90
ArmadaUGS68
QueenE55
ZerO(Twitch)9
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 2251
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH288
• StrangeGG 41
• EnkiAlexander 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1526
• Nemesis940
• TFBlade364
Other Games
• WagamamaTV185
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
20h 26m
OSC
23h 26m
Stellar Fest
23h 26m
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 23h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.