• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:30
CEST 10:30
KST 17:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7841 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 588

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 586 587 588 589 590 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Kinetik_Inferno
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1431 Posts
September 21 2011 21:39 GMT
#11741
On September 22 2011 06:28 Shikyo wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

This is an amazing PSU for cheap. Yours is a very cheap one(that costs 15 dollars more) and it's not even 80+ above like 30c.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=185 shows how well this PSU performs in heat(and look at the ripple and noise)

How much do you value it being modular?


Thanks, I'll go with that then.
geethy
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia67 Posts
September 21 2011 21:41 GMT
#11742
Sweet, thanks for the help So here's what I have now:
+ Show Spoiler +
Samsung S20A300B 20.5in Widescreen LED Monitor- $125
TP-Link TL-WN851ND 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter- $29
Beige PS2 Standard Keyboard- $9
Intel Core i3 2100- $119
Corsair CX-430 V2 Power Supply- $59
HIS Radeon HD6770 1GB- $115
ASRock H61M-VS Motherboard B3- $53
Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9/4G (1x4GB) DDR3- $27
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ- $54
CoolerMaster Elite 331- $39
Samsung SH-222AB SATA DVDRW Drive- $22

All up it's $651, off PCCG. What would be the most important thing to put that last $50 into? I'm guessing it would be either the GPU or CPU, but I'm not sure which one. And also, the motherboard only has one extra PCI slot, is that one big enough for the wireless adapter?
'Money can't buy you happiness, but I'd rather cry in a Ferrari.'
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
September 21 2011 21:43 GMT
#11743
OCZ ModXStream Pro is not bad, not that good either.

To me the JG review of the S12II is kind of an enigma. In many other tests, S12II platform has been good, but voltage regulation was nowhere near those numbers.

Definitely a solid unit though, but at $60, if you don't care about efficiency that much, I would get the Antec Earthwatts Green 650W instead ($60 after promo code, $40 AMIR), also 80 plus bronze but you'd probably be running it below 20% a lot:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

Earthwatts Green has more power, individual regulated output as opposed to group regulated (and probably better voltage regulation as a result), a little worse ripple, and a little worse components. They're better in different ways, but I'd prefer the Earthwatts Green a bit.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
September 21 2011 21:50 GMT
#11744
On September 22 2011 06:41 geethy wrote:
Sweet, thanks for the help So here's what I have now:
+ Show Spoiler +
Samsung S20A300B 20.5in Widescreen LED Monitor- $125
TP-Link TL-WN851ND 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter- $29
Beige PS2 Standard Keyboard- $9
Intel Core i3 2100- $119
Corsair CX-430 V2 Power Supply- $59
HIS Radeon HD6770 1GB- $115
ASRock H61M-VS Motherboard B3- $53
Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9/4G (1x4GB) DDR3- $27
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ- $54
CoolerMaster Elite 331- $39
Samsung SH-222AB SATA DVDRW Drive- $22

All up it's $651, off PCCG. What would be the most important thing to put that last $50 into? I'm guessing it would be either the GPU or CPU, but I'm not sure which one. And also, the motherboard only has one extra PCI slot, is that one big enough for the wireless adapter?


Big problem:
the motherboard has NO PCI slot. That's a x16 PCI Express slot and a 1x PCI Express slot. But I'd prefer a wireless adapter with antennas that aren't affixed to the chassis anyway, for better reception (sometimes can make a big difference).

e.g.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_328&products_id=16564
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_328&products_id=16982

Upgrades...

I would say keyboard, monitor, CPU, GPU, RAM, roughly in that order. Possibly case somewhere in there if you move it around or plan to keep it a while. These things kind of depend on your preferences though, which I don't profess to know. Any of those would not necessarily be a bad choice. If you want to play more games on highest settings, GPU would be the natural upgrade. Thinking long-term usage and allowing for later upgrades, getting a quad core i5 now and upgrading the GPU later makes sense.
Kinetik_Inferno
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1431 Posts
September 21 2011 21:58 GMT
#11745
Ok, What's a good quality, reliable LGA 1155 compatible HSF?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
September 21 2011 23:27 GMT
#11746
Xigmatek Gaia, CM Hyper 212+, Corsair A70, anything by Noctua, most Zalman's...

Basically anything that isn't a closed loop liquid cooler like an H60.

160mm tower coolers are the typical air coolers for normal cases. Generally take 120mm fans.

Say, why the hell do we call them 120mm instead of 12cm? Or is that just us silly stubborn Americans who refuse to accept a rational system of measurement?
DONTPANIC
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States340 Posts
September 21 2011 23:43 GMT
#11747
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104098


This psu is cool too.
The universe is big. Really big.
MisterFred
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2033 Posts
September 21 2011 23:56 GMT
#11748
On September 22 2011 08:27 JingleHell wrote:
Xigmatek Gaia, CM Hyper 212+, Corsair A70, anything by Noctua, most Zalman's...

Basically anything that isn't a closed loop liquid cooler like an H60.

160mm tower coolers are the typical air coolers for normal cases. Generally take 120mm fans.

Say, why the hell do we call them 120mm instead of 12cm? Or is that just us silly stubborn Americans who refuse to accept a rational system of measurement?


Probably because 9.2cm fans is more confusing than 92mm. And hey, at least we're using the metric system for some things. Also, 120>12 (marketing).
"The victor? Not the highest scoring, nor the best strategist, nor the best tactitian. The victor was he that was closest to the Tao of FFA." -.Praetor
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
September 21 2011 23:57 GMT
#11749
On September 22 2011 08:56 MisterFred wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2011 08:27 JingleHell wrote:
Xigmatek Gaia, CM Hyper 212+, Corsair A70, anything by Noctua, most Zalman's...

Basically anything that isn't a closed loop liquid cooler like an H60.

160mm tower coolers are the typical air coolers for normal cases. Generally take 120mm fans.

Say, why the hell do we call them 120mm instead of 12cm? Or is that just us silly stubborn Americans who refuse to accept a rational system of measurement?


Probably because 9.2cm fans is more confusing than 92mm. And hey, at least we're using the metric system for some things. Also, 120>12 (marketing).


Guess that makes sense, as much as it also makes me sick. God, I hate some of the American way of thinking...
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
September 22 2011 00:14 GMT
#11750
The 10^(3n) prefix where n is an integer makes a lot more sense for consistency and also for technical data. I mean, what's the prefix for 10^-5? Why is 10^-2 more widespread than the others not of the form 10^(3n)? IMHO that's only because cm is a more human-interpretable scale unit for object sizes and distances that people come into contact with.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
September 22 2011 00:26 GMT
#11751
Fair enough. And yeah, I guess precision is good, but by the same token, for marketing to the un-savvy, there's nothing wrong with reducing, as long as you don't discard any significant figures.

Been too long since my brain played math. I've got to fix that...
shtdisturbance
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada613 Posts
September 22 2011 01:37 GMT
#11752
Budget: 400$
Resolution: 1680x1050
Used for: Mostly surfing net, homework. I have this computer for gaming but need a backup family computer.
Cycle: 4 years usually.
Date: I plan to build within a week or 2.
Overclock: no
OS:no
Buying from Canada Computers.

I found out my computer is dieing completely and I need to build a new one.

I bought a new HDD for computer but it did not fix all the problems so I already have that. I want a second HDD for storage only. Should I get a green? Add that in the budget instead of the other HDD.

Thanks.
RoosterSamurai
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan2108 Posts
September 22 2011 02:32 GMT
#11753
I know this isn't exactly 100% on topic, but I don't believe my question warrants it's own thread.

We get frequent power outages in my area, and it really is a pain when trying to torrent things. Can you guys recommend a good/quality means of keeping constant power to my PC? Backup battery or UPS or something? Newegg extremely preferred.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
September 22 2011 02:36 GMT
#11754
Uhm, basically, unless you spend a decent chunk, you won't get one that can power a PC, modem, router, and display (or even cutting out the display) for very long. Or are you talking about flickers?
RoosterSamurai
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan2108 Posts
September 22 2011 02:37 GMT
#11755
On September 22 2011 11:36 JingleHell wrote:
Uhm, basically, unless you spend a decent chunk, you won't get one that can power a PC, modem, router, and display (or even cutting out the display) for very long. Or are you talking about flickers?

It's just flickers, not multi-hour outages. It really only needs to power my PC and 2 monitors for no longer than 2-3 minutes. I was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-22 02:46:52
September 22 2011 02:41 GMT
#11756
On September 22 2011 10:37 shtdisturbance wrote:
Budget: 400$
Resolution: 1680x1050
Used for: Mostly surfing net, homework. I have this computer for gaming but need a backup family computer.
Cycle: 4 years usually.
Date: I plan to build within a week or 2.
Overclock: no
OS:no
Buying from Canada Computers.

I found out my computer is dieing completely and I need to build a new one.

I bought a new HDD for computer but it did not fix all the problems so I already have that. I want a second HDD for storage only. Should I get a green? Add that in the budget instead of the other HDD.

Thanks.
Did you need a case? How about an optical drive?

mobo H61 mATK 60$:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=569_26_722&item_id=038369

CPU Pentium G630 87.71$:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=569_4_65&item_id=20039Q

4gb RAM 25$:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=569_24_311_312_611&item_id=037781

HDD Seagate Barracude 500GB 39.99$:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=569_15_210_212&item_id=037031

GPU GT 430 48$ after MIR:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=569_43_557_559&item_id=034829

Case NZXT GAMMA 40$ after MIR:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=569_6_112&item_id=026868

PSU Corsair CX430 40$ after MIR:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=569_33_442&item_id=038031


That totals at around 330.65$ with MIR before optical drive. Without MIR it's around 390$. Should be fine for general surfing and most programs.

On September 22 2011 11:37 RoosterSamurai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2011 11:36 JingleHell wrote:
Uhm, basically, unless you spend a decent chunk, you won't get one that can power a PC, modem, router, and display (or even cutting out the display) for very long. Or are you talking about flickers?

It's just flickers, not multi-hour outages. It really only needs to power my PC and 2 monitors for no longer than 2-3 minutes. I was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842106119

This should work.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
September 22 2011 02:41 GMT
#11757
If all you're worried about is flickers, pretty much any of them should work. The cheap ones usually don't have trouble until ~10 minutes, depending on what you're running off it.

Mind you, I haven't messed with any home type ones in about 8 years, so that experience IS dated, and could be invalid.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 22 2011 02:53 GMT
#11758
Why is Newegg so awfully slow right now?

If you can't already tell, Shikyo's advice is bad. You do not need a true sine wave UPS for flickers, any consumer grade UPS with simulated sine is fine. 800w is also sort of overkill for just a computer and two monitors, even when under load (unless you're running some multi-GPU setup). Even for consumer grade UPS, I'd still remain with Cyberpower or APC (I have APC myself).
RaLakedaimon
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1564 Posts
September 22 2011 02:54 GMT
#11759
I need some information on upgrading since I seem to be having a hard time finding out information on my own I really really hope someone can help me. First off I'd like to say I'm only upgrading for Battlefield 3 and only really wanting to be able to play at 1920x1080, even with all the fancy stuff off BUT I want to have the highest FPS (60 I think is max on that game). Anyways back to my problem, I want to find a new graphics card and processor but I don't want to have to buy a new motherboard in the process, here is my current motherboard:Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3.

I have liquid cooling on my current CPU and would like to also (if I can) use that same cooler, here is my current CPU and GPU:ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - Single Card-----Intel® Core™ i3 540 Processor (2x 3.06GHz/4MB L3 Cache). Can someone tell me what is the best possible CPU and GPU that I should upgrade to that will be interchangeable without much modification with my current motherboard.

Also I should note I have a 700 watt power supply and really am hoping to avoid upgrading that as well. Just mainly wanna know what CPU and GPU I could go to without having to buy anything else if I can (very poor person TT ).
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-22 03:02:41
September 22 2011 03:00 GMT
#11760
The best processor available on LGA1156 is the core i7 880 or 875k. Though you shouldn't upgrade to either of these since Battlefield 3 does not utilize hyperthreading (that is the major benefit of getting a core i7 over a core i5).

If you really want a quad for the game and don't want to change your motherboard than your option would be either the core i5 750 or 760. You should buy either of these used since it's pretty stupid to buy these brand new when Sandybridge is available for the same price.

For the graphics card, you're looking at a GTX 560 Ti or Radeon HD6950 1GB, both of which should comfortably play the game on reasonably high settings at 1080p.

I think you should upgrade your graphics card before upgrading the processor btw. If you're not satisfied with the game performance still after the upgrade than you can look into upgrading to a quad.

700w of power is more than enough for any graphics card on the market. You really overspent here when you built your computer... and it's probably a subpar model as well.
Prev 1 586 587 588 589 590 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 887
firebathero 869
actioN 372
Leta 107
Dewaltoss 103
Yoon 60
Killer 55
soO 46
Bale 24
Aegong 22
[ Show more ]
Hm[arnc] 21
Sharp 14
Dota 2
Fuzer 121
League of Legends
JimRising 474
Counter-Strike
byalli490
shoxiejesuss468
kRYSTAL_5
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor920
Other Games
summit1g9704
singsing1082
olofmeister1023
ceh9607
Mew2King93
ArmadaUGS44
trigger13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream160
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2333
League of Legends
• Rush1294
• Stunt490
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
4h 31m
OSC
13h 31m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 1h
Online Event
1d 2h
FEL
1d 7h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 8h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 10h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.