• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:12
CEST 10:12
KST 17:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9106 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 577

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 575 576 577 578 579 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 18 2011 19:01 GMT
#11521
On September 19 2011 03:50 Talin15 wrote:
Hi guys, so i'm building a computer and i was wondering of your thoughts on a graphic card that will run good at (1920x1080) for anywhere between 150-250 or so, any suggestions would be great it's gonna be running with an overclocked i5 2500k.


XFX Radeon HD6850 for $155 ($125 after mail in rebate): http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62433&promoid=1373

Sapphire Radeon HD6870 for $175.5 (free shipping) with promo code COLLEGETOUR11 ($155.5 after mail in rebate) : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II for $250 ($230 after mail in rebate, $210 after gift card): http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=58303&promoid=1373 You can pricematch to $240 but I'm not sure if that invalidates the gift card.

Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti for $221 (pricematch with http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=456025 ): http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58366
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
September 18 2011 19:07 GMT
#11522
Still need a PSU for my build. i5 2400, xfx radeon 6870, 8gb gskill RAM, h61 board, just one 7200 RPM HDD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030&Tpk=Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2

Is this a good PSU? It's going on shell shocker today for $10 off at 4pm, as long as it's good quality I'm gonna get it.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 18 2011 19:08 GMT
#11523
Yes it is.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
September 18 2011 19:09 GMT
#11524
Yeah, Neo Eco is just a slightly cost-cut Seasonic S12II (Antec High Current Gamer up to 620W, XFX Core up to 550W). It's one of the best cheap units.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
September 18 2011 19:10 GMT
#11525
Thanks for the prompt responses, as always .

You guys are both scout icons now :o
Talin15
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada14 Posts
September 18 2011 19:21 GMT
#11526
On September 19 2011 04:01 skyR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2011 03:50 Talin15 wrote:
Hi guys, so i'm building a computer and i was wondering of your thoughts on a graphic card that will run good at (1920x1080) for anywhere between 150-250 or so, any suggestions would be great it's gonna be running with an overclocked i5 2500k.


XFX Radeon HD6850 for $155 ($125 after mail in rebate): http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62433&promoid=1373

Sapphire Radeon HD6870 for $175.5 (free shipping) with promo code COLLEGETOUR11 ($155.5 after mail in rebate) : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II for $250 ($230 after mail in rebate, $210 after gift card): http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=58303&promoid=1373 You can pricematch to $240 but I'm not sure if that invalidates the gift card.

Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti for $221 (pricematch with http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=456025 ): http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58366


Thank you, i think i'm going to buy the MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II, your post was very helpful
"Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when Death has come , we are not." - Epicurus
PurpleStop
Profile Joined August 2011
United States11 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-18 20:43:17
September 18 2011 20:42 GMT
#11527
I just finished building my computer and it works great. I can't thank you guys enough for you help.

However, I am having one issue.

I purchased the Windows 7 upgrade with the student discount in-order to have windows.

My issue is that the Product Key I got is not being accepted by windows.

How do I get windows to accept the student edition?
"The only thing greater than man... is money"
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 18 2011 20:42 GMT
#11528
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html
beefhamburger
Profile Joined December 2007
United States3962 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-18 21:14:47
September 18 2011 20:52 GMT
#11529
Hi I'm looking to get a new laptop to replace my old one. I was looking at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246151
Quick summary:
CPU Type Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00GHz
Screen 15.6"
Memory Size 6GB DDR3
Hard Disk 750GB
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M
Resolution 1366 x 768 @ 15.6 in

I'd mostly be using it for casual gaming, the most intensive being SC2/LoL atm. I don't need high graphics but a little above the minimum would be nice. I don't know much about video cards for laptops and I can't find another laptop with a higher resolution and being sub $1000. My last laptop was 1440x900 but it seems like I may have to downgrade to the 1366x768. Ideally my budget is ~$700-850 but I do want to keep it as low as possible. There was another model that was exactly the same as this one except it was an i5 so I opted for this one as my main prospect.

Is this a good buy or is can you suggest a better/more efficient build while maintaining gaming quality? How reliable is Lenovo? Thanks!
Phonikz
Profile Joined September 2011
United States8 Posts
September 18 2011 21:19 GMT
#11530
Hey TL!

I've been a long time lurker, so I'm unfortunately not a significantly contributing member of the community. With that said, I was still hoping that out of the goodness of this thread's heart that you could all assist me in my first from-scratch build.

What is your budget?

My current budget is $700. This excludes the cost of a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

What is your resolution?

I was planning on something around ~1600x1200, but I would say this would be the first area I would dump any leftover money into.

What are you using it for?

Honestly, a little bit of everything. The toughest thing it would be handling would likely be craft and a couple other games (Skyrim), but there will be Solidworks/Rhino-esque modeling programs on it.

What is your upgrade cycle?

I try to hold onto my hardware until it breaks down. That said, I was hoping to future proof this set up; I had been eyeing a Sandy Bridge i5 for the processor (i7 seems overkill for what I would be doing).

When do you plan on building it?

As soon as I can get my hands on the parts. Preferably, in the next couple months.

Do you plan on overclocking?

I don't think I would be overclocking NOW, but in an effort to future proof, I would like the option to, if that's fair. However, it's not a current priority.

Do you need an Operating System?

I need to pick up Windows 7; that said, I'm a college kid, so I think I can get some discount on it.

Do you plan to add a second GPU for SLI or Crossfire?

As nice as this would be, I don't think it's feasible on my budget.

Where are you buying your parts from?

Typically, I look to Newegg for deals and guidance; there isn't really a nearby Fry's.



I know it's a bit of a hassle, but I could really use some solid input in piecing something together. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps out!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 18 2011 21:35 GMT
#11531
Here's something to get you started: an overclockable configuration capable of playing current and upcoming games on reasonably high settings at 1080p for $696 before mail in rebates, didn't include any promotional items since you don't know when you're purchasing...

If you increased your budget slightly or get rid of the overclocking later thought, you would end up with slightly higher quality components. I also didn't budget in your operating system since $700 is sort of hard to work with for an overclockable configuration. There's also no aftermarket heatsink which you will have to add at a later date when you decide you want to overclock.

Intel Core i5 2500k & Corsair 2x4GB 1333MHz @ $249
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.723540

Sapphire Radeon HD6870 @ $170 ($150 after mail in rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

Asrock P67 Pro3 @ $120 ($110 after mail in rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157230

Seagate Barracuda 500GB & Corsair CX500V2 @ $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.728987

DVD Burner @ $17
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136238

Antec One Hundred @ $50 ($35 after mail in rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129098
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
September 18 2011 21:37 GMT
#11532
@beefhamburger:

I'm not finding anything better on newegg for that price. Keep in mind, however, that a i7-2630QM is not going to be better for most games than a i5-2410M. Performance should be about the same. Also, the GT 555M looks like a fairly high number, but the part in the Y570 has 96 shaders. It's the same chip that the GT 550M, GT 540M, and GT 525M use. Difference is just clock speed, and the GT 525M is not that much slower at all (something like 20% slower).

Were you to find a laptop, with say a i5-2510M and GT 525M, that would somewhat worse but nothing too significant. So if you're willing to sacrifice a bit on those things, you can cut the costs some.

Here's a coupon code for a Dell XPS 15 (i5-2410M, GT 525M; $645 after changes suggested in the link):
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/268756

Lenovo T / W series Thinkpads and some other lines are very nice. Y series IdeaPads like that one tend to be okay I think.
beefhamburger
Profile Joined December 2007
United States3962 Posts
September 18 2011 22:08 GMT
#11533
K thanks Myr! That $100 off is really nice. Makes my decision that much harder. =P
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-18 22:35:13
September 18 2011 22:09 GMT
#11534
On September 19 2011 07:08 beefhamburger wrote:
K thanks Myr! That $100 off is really nice. Makes my decision that much harder. =P


Thats when you know your doing it right.

Dear Phoniks. Say NO to 4:3 ratio.
twitch.tv/medrea
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
September 18 2011 22:36 GMT
#11535
On September 19 2011 07:16 rv238 wrote:
Ok it is about time for a proper thread.

I want at 4 year future proff gaming computer or it is super upgradeable.

I have a 30 inch 1080p tv

I need os keyboard mouse.

prefer newegg

I also want to play ultra high or medium detail.

I want closer to $700 for obvious reasons only go to $1000 for massive preformance boost.


(same as earlier but with cheaper CPU and motherboard)

Core i5-2400 and Corsair 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM - $221
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.723633

Sapphire HD 6870 - $170, $150 AMIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

AsRock H61/U3S3 - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157236

Corsair CX500 V2 and Seagate 500GB - $90, $80 AMIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.728987

LG CD / DVD-RW - $17
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136238

Antec One Hundred - $50, $35 AMIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129098

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

You're on your own for figuring out a keyboard and mouse, since those are more subjective purchases.
rv238
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States24 Posts
September 19 2011 00:01 GMT
#11536
So I was wondering about would it be rediculous to get an i3 2100 and a high end gfx card. I heard about it and am just wondering how bad of a bodle (lol i cant spel ) and what would be the price.
LOLZ
MisterFred
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2033 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 00:04:47
September 19 2011 00:04 GMT
#11537
rv238 - it depends on what you're using the computer for. If you play games that are graphics-heavy and cpu-light it would be a great configuration. For other games or purposes, it'd be a foolish build. One of the reasons you should specify what you want your computer to do.

Edit: Also depends on what you mean by high-end graphics card.
"The victor? Not the highest scoring, nor the best strategist, nor the best tactitian. The victor was he that was closest to the Tao of FFA." -.Praetor
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
September 19 2011 00:12 GMT
#11538
On September 19 2011 09:01 rv238 wrote:
So I was wondering about would it be rediculous to get an i3 2100 and a high end gfx card. I heard about it and am just wondering how bad of a bodle (lol i cant spel ) and what would be the price.


To reiterate the above, for many games that would be better if you want to play on the highest detail settings and crank up some AA/AF. However, going down to a i3-2100 would save only about $65. $65 more for the graphics card could get you a HD 6950 or GTX 560 Ti, not an enormous upgrade over a HD 6870.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/293?vs=290

I would much rather have the i5-2400, and that would be superior for SC2, some other games, and most any game if you turn down the graphics settings. Gaming is the only thing that uses the GPU. The rest of the time, it's pretty much dead weight in the system. Since graphics cards are easier to replace, I'd tend to err on the side of a weaker GPU rather than CPU.
Speece
Profile Joined April 2011
United States50 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 00:27:05
September 19 2011 00:14 GMT
#11539
Hi my friend is looking to build a computer, how does this build look? and is the i7 worth it?

CPU: core i7 2600 $299.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P67A-D3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 $104.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128487

Memory : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) $47.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231426

Harddrive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Graphics : MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti $244.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565

Case : Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

PSU : XFX Core Edition PRO550W $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

dvd drive : Asus $19.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204


@disregard thanks
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
September 19 2011 00:22 GMT
#11540
Just cut the link after the product code at &nm.
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
Prev 1 575 576 577 578 579 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 471
Hyuk 309
910 147
Dewaltoss 67
Yoon 39
Killer 37
ZergMaN 32
Bale 26
NotJumperer 23
yabsab 17
[ Show more ]
Noble 7
Dota 2
XcaliburYe127
League of Legends
JimRising 491
Counter-Strike
olofmeister647
ceh9530
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1770
Khaldor309
Other Games
singsing837
Happy454
WinterStarcraft402
Sick231
Livibee190
Mew2King175
ArmadaUGS56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick696
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream296
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH95
• LUISG 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2314
League of Legends
• Stunt525
• Jankos258
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 48m
Stellar Fest
4h 48m
The PondCast
1d 1h
OSC
1d 4h
Stellar Fest
1d 4h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.