• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:54
CEST 08:54
KST 15:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8860 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 575

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 573 574 575 576 577 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
September 17 2011 23:32 GMT
#11481
So a totally unrelated thing I'd like to ask again but don't want to create a new thread for it, does anyone have any experience with either UPS or DHL delivery, and which is safer / more reliable? UPS costs like 1 euro more so price-wise it doesn't matter.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-17 23:34:53
September 17 2011 23:34 GMT
#11482
I've never had a problem with either, and have ordered quite a many things that used each one.
Bambipwnsu
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada698 Posts
September 17 2011 23:36 GMT
#11483
Both were fine for me on my last delivery. Purolator trolled me with their tracking system going down for a week though.
LoL @ NA: bambipwnsu
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
September 18 2011 00:03 GMT
#11484
Okay thanks, then I guess I'll go with the cheaper option
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
JJGamer
Profile Joined May 2011
United States76 Posts
September 18 2011 03:48 GMT
#11485
Quick question: How does the z68's Intel Smart Response Technology work? Do I need a SSD in order for it work? Please elaborate.

Thanks
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 18 2011 03:52 GMT
#11486
Intel SRT or also known as SSD caching would require a SSD. It lets you use an SSD as a read/write cache for HDD(s). This is only beneficial if you have a small SSD (ex. 20gb, 40gb) and can't store all your software on the SSD. If you have a 64gb or 128gb SSD than it doesn't serve a purpose since all your software will be on the SSD anyways... Many people don't seem to understand this.
Molybdenum
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States358 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-18 04:01:28
September 18 2011 03:57 GMT
#11487
I'm looking to build a computer for my parents as their current one is on the fritz. It's too old to save anything (AGP card, IDE HDD and cd drive) Their needs are pretty basic. I think I have a decent configuration, but could use some feedback. They won't be playing games or anything, just web browsing, MS word, stuff like that. No budget in mind, I guess, just efficient use of money. I live pretty close to microcenter (have to pay tax) and don't pay tax on newegg or amazon. Here's what I have in mind:

Intel Pentium G620, $60 at microcenter
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0367906
Not too sure on the CPU, but this is microcenter's cheapest intel offering. It's $70 on newegg. I wasn't too sure about getting a single core celeron.

AsRock H61M-VS mATX mobo, $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241

WD Caviar Blue 320 GB 7200 rpm, $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136770

Team Elite 4GB 2x2 DDR3-1333, $24
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313102
or
GSkill 4GB 1x4 DDR3-1333, $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231423
Is dual channel worth $4? Probably doesn't matter much, but let me know please. WHat's the difference in PC3-10666 and PC3-10600, out of curiosity?

Corsair cx-430, $45, $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Asus DVD burner, $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

MS Windows 7 x64 Pro, $30 as a student

Not sure on a case. Are there any cheap smaller cases, since the mobo is mATX?

I was planning on just using integrated graphics, HD2000 should be fine for anything that isn't gaming, right? (1600x900 resolution, MAYBE 1080p at some point)

edit: any decent IDE to SATA converter things, or an IDE->SATA mobo card or something, in order to pull some data off the old HDD? The current computer has a flickering monitor, even after switching out the graphics card (to a 32 Mb GeForce2 we had lying around and trying a new monitor
JJGamer
Profile Joined May 2011
United States76 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-18 04:01:42
September 18 2011 03:58 GMT
#11488
This is a dumb question but are there even 20/40gb ssds out there?
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 18 2011 04:04 GMT
#11489
On September 18 2011 12:57 Molybdenum wrote:+ Show Spoiler +
I'm looking to build a computer for my parents as their current one is on the fritz. It's too old to save anything (AGP card, IDE HDD and cd drive) Their needs are pretty basic. I think I have a decent configuration, but could use some feedback. They won't be playing games or anything, just web browsing, MS word, stuff like that. No budget in mind, I guess, just efficient use of money. I live pretty close to microcenter (have to pay tax) and don't pay tax on newegg or amazon. Here's what I have in mind:

Intel Pentium G620, $60 at microcenter
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0367906
Not too sure on the CPU, but this is microcenter's cheapest intel offering. It's $70 on newegg. I wasn't too sure about getting a single core celeron.

AsRock H61M-VS mATX mobo, $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241

WD Caviar Blue 320 GB 7200 rpm, $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136770

Team Elite 4GB 2x2 DDR3-1333, $24
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313102
or
GSkill 4GB 1x4 DDR3-1333, $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231423
Is dual channel worth $4? Probably doesn't matter much, but let me know please. WHat's the difference in PC3-10666 and PC3-10600, out of curiosity?

Corsair cx-430, $45, $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Asus DVD burner, $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

MS Windows 7 x64 Pro, $30 as a student

Not sure on a case. Are there any cheap smaller cases, since the mobo is mATX?

I was planning on just using integrated graphics, HD2000 should be fine for anything that isn't gaming, right? (1600x900 resolution, MAYBE 1080p at some point)


There is no difference between 10666 and 10600, both are 1333MHz. It's just manufacturers being stupid. Whether it's dual or single won't have a noticeable difference so go with the least expensive solution if you're trying to save money.

Yes, the Sandybridge IGP (HD2000) is fine for your average parents.

On September 18 2011 12:58 JJGamer wrote:
This is a dumb question but are there even 20/40gb ssds out there?


Yes, there are plenty. Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, Intel, etc all have a 40gb.

Intel also has their 311 series 20gb SSD which is specifically designed for the SSD caching feature but it costs more than a 64gb SSD because it's SLC.
JJGamer
Profile Joined May 2011
United States76 Posts
September 18 2011 04:12 GMT
#11490
So should I just get a 64gb ssd and use it to store my windows and leave the rest for caching?
TerrBear
Profile Joined June 2011
United States7 Posts
September 18 2011 04:24 GMT
#11491
I have a quick question. Is it possible to transfer a hard drive from an older computer to a new computer and still be able to run the OS that is on it? Let's say I'm building a new computer and I want to use my old computer's hard drive. Can I just connect it to the new computer and boot Windows just like I would on my old computer? I obviously would need to download new drivers and stuff but the main issue I'm getting at here is whether the OS will work right off the bat.
I'm kind of a big deal
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 18 2011 04:31 GMT
#11492
On September 18 2011 13:12 JJGamer wrote:
So should I just get a 64gb ssd and use it to store my windows and leave the rest for caching?


You can do it like that if you want but you would probably see more benefit of running the SSD as an SSD.

On September 18 2011 13:24 TerrBear wrote:
I have a quick question. Is it possible to transfer a hard drive from an older computer to a new computer and still be able to run the OS that is on it? Let's say I'm building a new computer and I want to use my old computer's hard drive. Can I just connect it to the new computer and boot Windows just like I would on my old computer? I obviously would need to download new drivers and stuff but the main issue I'm getting at here is whether the OS will work right off the bat.


Yes, you can. It may or may not work perfectly for you but chances are that the older drivers (or what's left of them) will interfere with the newer drivers and will cause you problems. A fresh installation of the operating system is always recommended when switching out the motherboard for a completely different motherboard.
JJGamer
Profile Joined May 2011
United States76 Posts
September 18 2011 04:52 GMT
#11493
But I can only store so much in a 64gb ssd.. mind as well take like 20 to 40gb of the ssd and use it for caching, right? Am I making any sense?
ataryens
Profile Joined June 2010
Iran213 Posts
September 18 2011 04:58 GMT
#11494
On September 18 2011 13:52 JJGamer wrote:
But I can only store so much in a 64gb ssd.. mind as well take like 20 to 40gb of the ssd and use it for caching, right? Am I making any sense?


you only need to put your OS and programs that you use alot (not multiplayer games that you have to wait on other people to start), I have a 64GB one and its ~1/2 empty with all my programs but no games.
JJGamer
Profile Joined May 2011
United States76 Posts
September 18 2011 05:05 GMT
#11495
On September 18 2011 13:58 ataryens wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 18 2011 13:52 JJGamer wrote:
But I can only store so much in a 64gb ssd.. mind as well take like 20 to 40gb of the ssd and use it for caching, right? Am I making any sense?


you only need to put your OS and programs that you use alot (not multiplayer games that you have to wait on other people to start), I have a 64GB one and its ~1/2 empty with all my programs but no games.


So a 64gb ssd is more than enough for me? No need for the SSD caching?
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 18 2011 05:06 GMT
#11496
You can try it and see how it works for you but 64gb is enough for Windows 7, Starcraft II, Diablo III, and your average instant messaging, microsoft office suite, browsers, and utilities.
JJGamer
Profile Joined May 2011
United States76 Posts
September 18 2011 05:12 GMT
#11497
On September 18 2011 14:06 skyR wrote:
You can try it and see how it works for you but 64gb is enough for Windows 7, Starcraft II, Diablo III, and your average instant messaging, microsoft office suite, browsers, and utilities.


Sounds good enough for me.. I was hoping to take advantage of Intel's SRT. Damn i feel like i wasted money on buying a z68 motherboard now
Ata
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada356 Posts
September 18 2011 05:32 GMT
#11498
I have a z68 mobo just because there isn't really much of a premium for them, specially when you shopping based on weekly sales.
crescendo
Profile Joined April 2007
United States140 Posts
September 18 2011 06:56 GMT
#11499
Hey guys,

I recently finished a build and was wondering if you guys could give it a quick look to make sure there's not any glaring issues (compatibility etc.). My budget is ~650 and I'm just barely under. I'll get extra cooling for OCing a bit later cause my finances are exhausted-- plus I want to see if I can even get the thing working (and if it all fits into my case!). However if there's any cooling you guys can recommend for me to keep note of when I go off to buy that'll be helpful as well. Not planning on crossfiring unless I find that I have a lot of space left, which I don't think I will.

Case: Powerspec TX366 Micro-ATX Case - My old case.
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD4000AAJB 400 GB - My old HD.
Resolution: 1680x1050, staying that way.
Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers/OS I have.

CPU: Intel i7 2600k - Buying used for $240.
Mobo: ASUS-P8P67-M-PRO $129
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/ASUS-P8P67-M-PRO-Desktop-Motherboard-Intel-Socket-H2-LGA-1155/5723497/product.html?cid=123620
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X Series (2x4 GB DDR3 1600) $52
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W - $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016
GPU: HIS H685FN1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB - $148
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384
Total: $634

Any advice/criticism would be greatly appreciated.
this mic is live
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-18 07:27:17
September 18 2011 07:25 GMT
#11500
Motherboard is a little overkill, RAM is unnecessarily expensive for what you get (unless you like maybe a couple percentage points better performance for $11 extra), and the power supply is a bit overkill.

AsRock Z68 Pro3-M - $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157252

G.Skill 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM - $41
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231424

Antec Neo Eco 400C (not modular but better in some ways than the BP550 Plus; no you won't be stressing it with that config) - $45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371029


A little worse performance, but more power and connectors (say to run a two 6-pin PCIe graphics card in the future via adapters) for cheaper:
Rosewill Green Series 430W - $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182202

Since the case has a 92mm back fan, it seems like it probably doesn't fit 120mm fan tower coolers that are around 160mm tall. It also looks a bit narrow on inspection. A reasonably-capable lower-profile cooler will have to do. With the above savings, there's room for...

Cooler Master GeminII S - $38
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103046
Prev 1 573 574 575 576 577 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 140
-ZergGirl 86
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 310
910 102
Yoon 48
Bale 26
ZergMaN 25
yabsab 18
NotJumperer 11
Icarus 11
League of Legends
JimRising 603
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King236
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor380
Other Games
summit1g7522
WinterStarcraft403
ceh9329
Sick248
PiGStarcraft219
Happy182
Livibee168
ArmadaUGS58
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick636
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream262
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2362
League of Legends
• Stunt532
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 6m
Stellar Fest
6h 6m
The PondCast
1d 3h
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
OSC
1d 17h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.