• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:45
CEST 01:45
KST 08:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9408 users

[Guideline] SC2 Computers - Page 12

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 66 Next
MasterReY
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Germany2708 Posts
February 25 2010 23:55 GMT
#221
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E720 @ 2x2.67Ghz
GPU: 8800GTS 512MB
Resolution: 1680x1050 (can go highest without problems, just cant write it because i cant check whats highest now^^)
RAM: 4GB
Setting: Ultra.
OS: Vista
https://www.twitch.tv/MasterReY/ ~ Biggest Reach fan on TL.net (Don't even dare to mention LR now) ~ R.I.P Violet ~ Developer of SCRChart
TL+ Member
StayFrosty
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada743 Posts
February 25 2010 23:57 GMT
#222
Great info, thanks so much!
Savio
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1850 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-26 00:49:47
February 26 2010 00:21 GMT
#223
On February 22 2010 11:28 FragKrag wrote:
again worthless without resolution

kindly post your motherboard as well

I don't like false information running around in my threads.


Its certainly not false.

This is what I am using to play SC2 without a video card:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Windows Computer
ECS G31T-M QUAD CORE 1333FSB DDR2 SATA2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz 1333FSB 6MB
RECOMMENDED UPGRADE - HEAVY DUTY COOLER
2GB PC2 6400 800Mhz DDR2 Kit 1x2GB Chips
400GB Serial ATA 7200Rpm 16MB Cache SATA
INTEL GMA3100 ONBOARD 287MB SHARED VIDEO CARD ADAPTER
20x DVD±R/RW DUAL LAYER INTERNAL DRIVE
REALTEK ALC662 HD 6-CHANNEL HIGH DEFINITION SOUND CARD ADAPTER
REALTEK RTL8101E 10/100Mbps ETHERNET ADAPTER (LAN)
BEIGE ATX MIDTOWER CASE W/ POWER SUPPLY
Standard Power Supply With Case Selected
High-Speed Case Cooling Fan 80mm
MS WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

The whole thing cost me $450 without a monitor.

Again, the settings are set on low but the game is always smooth.


EDIT: Playing the game on 1440x900x32 resolution. Playing on 22"monitor.
The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
February 26 2010 00:25 GMT
#224
Oh, right you have the integrated chipset.

I thought you were claiming to boot without a GPU.

You fail to post your resolution yet again.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Teejing
Profile Joined January 2009
Germany1360 Posts
February 26 2010 00:26 GMT
#225
How can you play without a graphic card?
Zabestrial
Profile Joined June 2009
United States194 Posts
February 26 2010 00:27 GMT
#226
Hi,
i dont have my specs (sorry) but i know i have the best uptodate video card and a 22" screen
i am regularly posting videos to my youtube account (having resolution problems) but you should check them out, they could help you find what you are looking for :D
Username: pivotpanic

Befriend me on the Beta!
Zerg.zabestrial


-Zabestrial
www.YouTube.com/BreakingHaven
Savio
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1850 Posts
February 26 2010 00:27 GMT
#227
I do have to say how pleased I am with the flexibility of SC2. I couldn't believe it when it loaded and played just fine without a dedicated card. And yet, once I do put in a card, I can crank up the settings and make it beautiful.

Its the most impressive graphics customization I have seen in a game
The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
Savio
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1850 Posts
February 26 2010 00:29 GMT
#228
On February 26 2010 09:26 Teejing wrote:
How can you play without a graphic card?


Motherboards have integrated chipsets for graphics. The CPU does the work and the chipset uses the system memory for shared graphics memory.

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
February 26 2010 00:29 GMT
#229
He has an integrated chipset which includes a GPU. 'Graphics card' is used interchangeably with both dedicated and integrated GPUs sometimes (I know I do it a lot ;_; ).

You can play without a dedicated graphics card, but not without a GPU (in which case your computer will not even boot)
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Savio
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1850 Posts
February 26 2010 00:32 GMT
#230
I'm not sure you can buy a motherboard that does not have an integrated graphics chipset. Maybe you can but I have never seen one.

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-26 00:35:02
February 26 2010 00:34 GMT
#231
Boards with onboard graphics are usually marked as such, and normally make up the lower end of the motherboard market. Higher end boards like the boards for the LGA 1366 i7 CPUs, the AMD 790FX, etc don't have onboard graphics support.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Savio
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1850 Posts
February 26 2010 00:49 GMT
#232
Updated with my resolution. Also note that I have physics turned to high (since it says it uses the CPU primarily)

Any setting that says it uses GPU, I turned low and any one that uses the CPU I cranked up.

Should prolly update OP to state that to just play the game, a dedicated card is not necessary if you have a decent chipset (G31 is pretty standard actually) and decent CPU.
The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
February 26 2010 00:58 GMT
#233
I updated a part about integrated GPUs in the op. Renamed "other" into "Low Power and Integrated Graphics"

I will never recommend an integrated GPU for any kind of gaming at all. A $50-60 card will provide infinitely better performance at the moment.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Savio
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1850 Posts
February 26 2010 01:05 GMT
#234
I agree. I actually have a 4870 just sitting in my room. I didn't install it cause I wanted to know if it was required first so I could advise my dad (whether or not he needs one since we have the same comp).

Also, I've been postponing installing the card since I am scared that my cheap power supply will not be able to support it and I am scared of being disappointed.
The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
shtdisturbance
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada613 Posts
February 26 2010 02:35 GMT
#235
On February 25 2010 13:33 FragKrag wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 25 2010 12:53 shtdisturbance wrote:
Operating system:Windows 2.5.1.2600 (SP 3)
CPU type:Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz
CPU Speed (GHz):1.618
System memory (GB):3.247
Graphics card model:ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO
Graphics card driver:ati2dvag.dll
Desktop resolution:1440x900
I can only run on low.
I would love to be able to run on high, would i be able to improve my specs to run on high?
If so what do i need to upgrade? Estimate on the cost please.


The two problems with that are the Pentium D and the HD 2400. What is your motherboard? I would think about $200-240 to run at high at that resolution.


The motherboard is: INTEL 946GZIS S775 DDR2 MOTHERBOARD.
What would i need to buy with the $200-240?
Thanks for the help.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
February 26 2010 03:12 GMT
#236
You can upgrade your processor to the E5300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116074&cm_re=e5300-_-19-116-074-_-Product
$67.99

And a ATi 5750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150448&cm_re=5750-_-14-150-448-_-Product
$139.99
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
shtdisturbance
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada613 Posts
February 26 2010 03:20 GMT
#237
Alright thanks so much for that.
When i buy those i can play on high quality?
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
February 26 2010 03:26 GMT
#238
yeah high quality should be no problem.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Triggerdog
Profile Joined February 2010
United States4 Posts
February 26 2010 06:22 GMT
#239
Seperate question. What governs the smoke billowing thing that hides units and stuff. I tried multiple things to scale it down, but none of them affected my performance while it was on the screen (stayed bad). I know the settings work for everything else, because i havn't had lag at any other point, but i couldn't reduce this.

EDIT: ok im completely confused. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=113094
I've been reading this thread, and it gives some reasonably good estimations of what you need to run SC. In this thread i've ruled that my computer just seems to not be powerful enough to run it at full. However, on their scale of CPU's its recommended to have "Intel Core 2 around 1.8GHz is a rough area but should be able to play it. 2.0GHz is probably closer to what it wants." I have 2.4 ghz, so i'd assume that's definitely good enough to ramp up settings?

On the GPU they recommend: "We require a GeForce 6600". I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT. On this ranking: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rd,2544-7.html, my card is like 10 steps above it. In fact, on the post directly by blizzard, their recommended ULTRA settings its right there, fourth one down.

For recommended ram, the author says "2GB of RAM should be able to handle SC2 up to High. As for Ultra, I recommend 4GB". I have 5.96 GB's of physical memory. An estimated 2.7 gb is being used, so i have 3.26 left. I'll round down to 3, which should still be enough to run most of it.

Now, here's where i'm confused. Why the fuck am i still lagging with some stuff on medium? According to this i should be running almost fine on ultra, and probably extra fine on High. Am i missing something?


EDIT 2: He directly recommends my graphics card. "Some solid cards at the moment would be the Nvidia GT 9600M, GTX 260M, and GTX 280M. The ATi HD 3400 Integrated seems to be able to run the game as well!"

"All Core 2 Duo above e7xxx should run at near max/max settings" i don't know what e7xxx is or how to read it, but i'd assume my processor is fine.

I have enough ram.

This is taken from another place where i posted it, and I'm trying multiple places to get the best answer possible/most suggestions. I really have no idea why this happened. Sadly i can't continue to test because of the new patch breaking replays, but i don't think that matters. I looked at all of the information in the OP and applied it to my own stuff and as the post reads my computer should be MORE than powerful enough to handle sc2, but it's doing a poor job so far. Thanks.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-26 06:35:43
February 26 2010 06:33 GMT
#240
Sounds like you have a laptop.

1st, are your drivers up to date and are you running Windows Vista?

What resolution are you running the game at? It seems like your graphics card is the only component capable of holding you back. A weaker machine is running SC2 at ultra (I actually doubt it, but whatever) with weaker specs at 1366x768
+ Show Spoiler [specs] +

PC Laptop
CPU: Intel Mobile Core2Duo P7350 @ 2.1ghz (2 core)
GPU: 9600MGT 512MB DDR3
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Setting: Ultra


Your computer should definitely be able to run the game solidly, but I'm not sure why it isn't working. There should be people out there with the same GPU though.

I recommend posting your problem here as well:
http://forums.battle.net/board.html?forumId=25352527&sid=5000

*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 66 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 471
Hyun 139
Dota 2
monkeys_forever454
League of Legends
Doublelift4285
Other Games
summit1g12421
JimRising 446
KnowMe187
Livibee185
ViBE161
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick886
BasetradeTV193
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 133
• Adnapsc2 43
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie952
• Scarra869
• Shiphtur585
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 15m
Patches Events
15h 15m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 15m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 15m
OSC
23h 15m
OSC
1d 12h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.