• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:00
CEST 01:00
KST 08:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7761 users

[Guideline] SC2 Computers - Page 10

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 66 Next
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
February 24 2010 01:31 GMT
#181
even at 2560x 4xAA the HD ran L4D (not L4D2, couldn't find benches) at 80FPS lol

he has a decent Intel quad core so I don't think the CPU is what is bottlenecking him though.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Zeke50100
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2220 Posts
February 24 2010 01:31 GMT
#182
On February 24 2010 10:05 ghrur wrote:
Operating system:WINDOWS 2.6.0.6002 (SP 2)
Cpu Type:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Cpu T6400 @ 2.00GHZ
Cpu Speed (GHZ):2.02
System memory (GB):2.99
Graphics card model:Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Desktop Resolution:1280X800
System Type: 32-bit

Hehe... think I could run SC2? I doubt it just looking at CPU speed alone... then the graphics card seems really cheap too, lol...


You can, if you want, download the beta client and attempt to run a replay to check. Your CPU speed is definitely low(er), so I can't really tell you outright. Oh, and the Graphics card SHOULD be able to run it on Low; I have a desktop version of that same chipshet, with the same chip (GMA 3000, I believe).
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
February 24 2010 01:33 GMT
#183
Keep in mind that laptop chips are less powerful than their desktop equivalents!!!

though IGPs use so little power it may not matter at what mhz they run at anyways...
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Tropics
Profile Joined August 2007
United Kingdom1132 Posts
February 24 2010 01:33 GMT
#184
Yeah, I know they are but they're the most intensive games I own haha. I more than likely dont drop below 70 but 60+ is all that really matters to me since I have a 60hz monitor. Apart from incredibly isolated incidents where I'm standing inside about 10 explosions. I've only noticed it about 4 or 5 times and I've played the shit out of those games since getting this.

I'm using the latest possible drivers that everyone is saying are godlike so I really don't think its a driver issue. 10.1 was the newest available when I bought the card and I only switched out of those yesterday and didn't see much of a change in performance.

It's definitely not a temperature issue either (bought this to replace a 9800gx2 which even after being entirely cleaned out and having new thermal paste added still had load temps of 110) since it idles at 40 and hits about 50-60 during load.

I'll download fraps and run that baneling replay and give you some ACTUAL figures and we'll see what you make of it
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 01:37:26
February 24 2010 01:34 GMT
#185
a q9300 is definitely enough to bottleneck a 5850. it only runs at 2.5ghz and i dont believe l4d2 is designed to use all 4 cores.

this could also be the source of your sc2 woes according to that sc2 bench
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
February 24 2010 01:37 GMT
#186
oh bleh

I thought L4D2 was multithreaded and that's why the FPS was so high with the i7s. Quad cores seem to run L4D2 better than dual cores?
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
February 24 2010 01:38 GMT
#187
might be im not entirely sure
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
Tropics
Profile Joined August 2007
United Kingdom1132 Posts
February 24 2010 01:48 GMT
#188
ok jesus christ that was the most depressing thing ever (also apparently im very very bad at eyeballing framerates in sc2 because the animation is so smooth)

looking over a z base at the start of the game i only had about 35 fps (t base was about 42). About 15 minutes into the game when both players had big armies it sat at around 20 over z base, 25 over t base, and about 20 looking over armies. During the fight with 200/200 banelings attacking it dipped as low at 9 but was mostly around 10 or 11.

Man, suddenly I feel ridiculously inadequate about my pc. Oh and looking at my settings I only had shaders set to ultra, not extreme, so it wasn't even fully maxed.

new processor time?
Biochemist
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1008 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 01:58:18
February 24 2010 01:57 GMT
#189
I can't play because I'm not in the beta, but I did watch a few replays.

Core2 Duo 1.86 GHz
2 Gb DDR2
Radeon HD4670 1Gb DDR3
Resolution: 1440x900

I haven't downloaded fraps and don't know what FPS, but even at x3 it's hardly choppy at all with all settings on high. Runs perfectly smoothly at normal game speed, even during battle over creep!


Biochemist
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1008 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 02:07:21
February 24 2010 02:03 GMT
#190
On February 24 2010 10:05 ghrur wrote:
Operating system:WINDOWS 2.6.0.6002 (SP 2)
Cpu Type:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Cpu T6400 @ 2.00GHZ
Cpu Speed (GHZ):2.02
System memory (GB):2.99
Graphics card model:Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Desktop Resolution:1280X800
System Type: 32-bit

Hehe... think I could run SC2? I doubt it just looking at CPU speed alone... then the graphics card seems really cheap too, lol...


The system recommendations are talking about a pentium 4, which isn't dual core. a 6400 will blow that out of the water. It's like having a 4.0 GHz Pentium 4.

Not sure about your GPU though. The GPU requirements listed are pretty low, so I'm sure you'll at least be able to run it on low quality settings.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 02:12:35
February 24 2010 02:09 GMT
#191
On February 24 2010 10:57 Biochemist wrote:
I can't play because I'm not in the beta, but I did watch a few replays.

Core2 Duo 1.86 GHz
2 Gb DDR2
Radeon HD4670 1Gb DDR3
Resolution: 1440x900

I haven't downloaded fraps and don't know what FPS, but even at x3 it's hardly choppy at all with all settings on high. Runs perfectly smoothly at normal game speed, even during battle over creep!




haha! I've been waiting for more HD 4670s and HD 4650s

good to know that it is high capable!

edit: added an explanation on what FPS is.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Tropics
Profile Joined August 2007
United Kingdom1132 Posts
February 24 2010 02:24 GMT
#192
So, installed the older catalyst 10.2 drivers (latest official release) in hopes of getting better framerates and they're exactly the same. Looks like either I'm facing a massive bottleneck or the game just disagrees with my system. At least the game still looks amazing even on lower settings. A little disappointed but oh well, thats life.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 03:44:35
February 24 2010 03:43 GMT
#193
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_pc_kit.html

For those of you who want a cheaper Intel/Nvidia based PC, this one is $500 pre monitor and pre OS. Sure, it is a bit expensive, but it saves you the time of research.

2GB DDR2 RAM, 9800 GTX, Intel E5300, MSI mobo. I personally wouldn't recommend it.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Zeke50100
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2220 Posts
February 24 2010 04:00 GMT
#194
I have a terrible Frame Rate, hovering around 10 constantly ^_^

How much RAM do you guys recommend for running SC2 at lowest possible settings? I mean, I can watch replays, although it's choppy every 20 seconds or so.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 04:03:12
February 24 2010 04:02 GMT
#195
Depends on the resolution

at 1024x768 just follow blizz recommendations. At higher resolutions 2gb should be fine. Anyways chances are that it isn't your RAM that is causing the FPS drop
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Bosu
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3247 Posts
February 24 2010 04:05 GMT
#196
On February 24 2010 13:00 Zeke50100 wrote:
I have a terrible Frame Rate, hovering around 10 constantly ^_^

How much RAM do you guys recommend for running SC2 at lowest possible settings? I mean, I can watch replays, although it's choppy every 20 seconds or so.


Minimum of 2 preferably 4.
#1 Kwanro Fan
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 04:11:07
February 24 2010 04:09 GMT
#197
Considering some people are running at high at 1680x1050 at 2GB of RAM, 2GB is HARDLY a minimum.

RAM is one of the components that is exaggerated far far far past its actual function.

Anyways I would recommend at least 1.5GB, 2GB is more than enough though.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Zeke50100
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2220 Posts
February 24 2010 04:15 GMT
#198
Well, having only 504 MB RAM must have SOMETHING to do with it not running well :/
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
February 24 2010 04:18 GMT
#199
Well that goes under the minimum stated by Blizzard. Unlike with GPUs, RAM doesn't have much wiggle room. You either make the cut, or you don't :/
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Zeke50100
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2220 Posts
February 24 2010 04:22 GMT
#200
Well, I'm mostly interested because I believe I will be getting another RAM chip in the near future, so I want to know if I should get my hopes up or not ^_^
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 66 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O189
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 492
ZZZero.O 189
Hyun 109
Dota 2
monkeys_forever427
League of Legends
Doublelift4167
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4252
Liquid`Hasu471
Other Games
summit1g14235
FrodaN1670
JimRising 384
KnowMe239
Livibee187
ViBE95
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick821
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 125
• Adnapsc2 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra1085
Other Games
• imaqtpie1101
• Shiphtur445
• tFFMrPink 12
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h
Patches Events
16h
BSL Open Qualifier
20h
BSL Open Qualifier
20h
OSC
1d
OSC
1d 13h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.