• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:09
CEST 18:09
KST 01:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7338 users

Greatest Players of All Time: 2025 Update - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
201 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16101 Posts
January 21 2025 20:40 GMT
#21
On January 22 2025 04:25 Balnazza wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 04:18 Telephone wrote:
But how can he be the GOAT if he gets stomped in the finals of the biggest tournament of the season by someone not even on the GOAT list?


How can Maru be the GOAT if he constantly gets stomped by someone who got stomped in one tournament by someone who is not even on the GOAT list?

I mean... that's the point of his comment as I understood it. The argument that Maru can't be the Goat because he loses vs Serral is as reasonable as the argument Serral can't be the Goat because he lost 5-0 to Clem.

Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
TheDougler
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada8323 Posts
January 21 2025 20:47 GMT
#22
As a fan, I've felt a strange calm come over me haha. Glad to see credit where it's due. Maru is great, but Serral is the GOAT. At least, for now.
I root for Euro Zergs, NA Protoss* and Korean Terrans. (Any North American who has beat a Korean Pro as Protoss counts as NA Toss)
Glorfindelio
Profile Joined October 2022
231 Posts
January 21 2025 21:05 GMT
#23
For me personally, feels about right. I was always conflicted about not having Dark on the list--definitely doesn't feel like he had the absolute mega-peak that some others reached, but he's been so consistent for so long.
Balnazza
Profile Joined January 2018
Germany1367 Posts
January 21 2025 21:24 GMT
#24
On January 22 2025 05:40 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 04:25 Balnazza wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:18 Telephone wrote:
But how can he be the GOAT if he gets stomped in the finals of the biggest tournament of the season by someone not even on the GOAT list?


How can Maru be the GOAT if he constantly gets stomped by someone who got stomped in one tournament by someone who is not even on the GOAT list?

I mean... that's the point of his comment as I understood it. The argument that Maru can't be the Goat because he loses vs Serral is as reasonable as the argument Serral can't be the Goat because he lost 5-0 to Clem.



I get the point, doesn't change that it is not particularly convincing...

Because he won 4 GSLs in a row and is still winning tournaments 6 years later.


And Serral has won a World Championship title, did it again, is still winning tournaments 7 years later...this is the entire debate all over again. With the difference, that in the last year Serral has only gathered more points towards his claim, while Maru did not (in comparison to Serral). Also doesn't help, though I don't think Miz factored that in very much, that Marus performance in MC8 was...lacking, to be careful. And he didn't particularly blow it out of the water at HSC either.

"Wenn die Zauberin runter geht, dann macht sie die Beine breit" - Khaldor, trying to cast WC3 German-only
TL+ Member
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33706 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-01-21 21:37:04
January 21 2025 21:36 GMT
#25
you're welcome content creators for some stuff to fill the gap after MC8 & LiuLi Cup
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Blitzball04
Profile Joined June 2024
191 Posts
January 21 2025 22:42 GMT
#26
On January 21 2025 21:55 Charoisaur wrote:
Hmm I disagree that a Code S win in 2024 should boost someone from 11 to 7.
But 7 is way more appropriate for Dark anyway, so it works out. Seems like Miz realizing his mistake



I honestly had dark conmfortablly over soO even before 2024
Maybe it’s just me?
rwala
Profile Joined December 2019
344 Posts
January 21 2025 23:03 GMT
#27
I'm probably in search of controversy (i.e. fun) for an update that is frankly not likely to be very controversial, but I do wonder--given the respective 2024s Maru and Dark had--how Dark could gain four slots while Maru could lose one. I mean, I don't really wonder, but I want people to wonder

A more interesting--and not totally unrelated--conceptual question is the one Miz kinda posed with his Clem analysis. At what point are the prior eras of competition so much more fierce than today's such that current results should matter very little or not at all? If the scene were literally just crowdfunded Clem v. MaxPax showmatches I think we'd all know we've arrived, but this is feeling like a bridge to you-know-where paved with good intentions. At some point maybe you just gotta call it?

I don't know how I feel about Rain getting bumped from this GOAT list. Like actually I don't know. But part of me doesn't really like it. I don't think I can accept an understanding in which Reynor, Clem, Trap, Zoun, etc. win so much in 2025, 2026, 2027, etc. that they start sniping GOATs on the heels of Aligulac inflation and recency bias. Part of me feels like if you didn't win in SC2's most competitive era, you can't be a GOAT. You can be a BOAT (Best of All Time), just not a GOAT.

I've gone through phases feeling like Serral, Maru, and Rogue are the GOAT, and I think I might be in a phase now where I feel like Mvp is the GOAT. But even when I'm not in that mood, I think we need some of us to remind us all of the days in which hundreds and even thousands of players competed for all the glory to be the best gamer in the world. Not a couple dozen competing for the biggest bag from the Saudis.

WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
January 21 2025 23:23 GMT
#28
On January 22 2025 05:40 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 04:25 Balnazza wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:18 Telephone wrote:
But how can he be the GOAT if he gets stomped in the finals of the biggest tournament of the season by someone not even on the GOAT list?


How can Maru be the GOAT if he constantly gets stomped by someone who got stomped in one tournament by someone who is not even on the GOAT list?

I mean... that's the point of his comment as I understood it. The argument that Maru can't be the Goat because he loses vs Serral is as reasonable as the argument Serral can't be the Goat because he lost 5-0 to Clem.


I’m not a big fan of head-to-heads, generally it’s how you do versus the overall field that’s more important by far.

But I think it can become meaningful, even if it’s a tie-breaker. Player A with very similar achievements to B otherwise wins off H2H as a tiebreaker.

I don’t think Serral’s winning H2H necessarily is that tiebreaker, but I do think it’s indicative of why he’s the greater player, for me.

If you can’t be the all-conquering, dominant player, well another path to greatness is peaking when it counts, it’s those underdog wins, it’s you set planning to conquer the superior foe on paper.

Maru’s overall performance I think is better than some give
him credit for, for me he’s comfortably been the second best player in the world overall for the past half-decadish. But it’s been a long time since he pulled out the latter from his locker.

It would be one thing if the match H2H was as it is now, but it’s full of all-time great series that could have gone either way. Mostly he’s just been battered over a long period of time, playing much the same way. Hey old man Mvp ultimately lost to Life, but his greatness rep was still enhanced for even getting there, testing Life to his limits despite injury really hampering his game.

Lower stakes tournament sure, but Serral in recent times lost his first ZvP in forever in a patch Zergs aren’t enjoying the matchup on to out it mildly. Then another one immediately. Then come Masters Colosseum a few days later he loses to MaxPax. A day to sleep on it and make a few tweaks and he comes back and batters both him and herO to win the thing.

I think it’s quite illustrative of their relative strengths and weaknesses

I will add the caveat that I’m judging Maru incredibly harshly only because it’s the top end of the GOAT ranking, he’s an incredibly talented player and a pleasure to watch.

But is he clutch? Can he grind it out to get over the line on the rare occasions he isn’t more skilled than an opponent? Sure, sometimes. But I’ve long thought JAGW papered over the very few cracks in his game and in this era you’re seeing them. Cracks Serral just doesn’t have.

It is also worth noting that Serral still has a winning record against Clem overall, from quite a few encounters.

It’s a shame the scene is as it is now because for me the two most intriguing storylines are, ‘can Clem maintain that level?’ and ‘can Serral figure out a way to live with that Clem?’ and we may never get an answer to that which is a crying shame.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
rwala
Profile Joined December 2019
344 Posts
January 21 2025 23:49 GMT
#29
On January 22 2025 08:23 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 05:40 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:25 Balnazza wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:18 Telephone wrote:
But how can he be the GOAT if he gets stomped in the finals of the biggest tournament of the season by someone not even on the GOAT list?


How can Maru be the GOAT if he constantly gets stomped by someone who got stomped in one tournament by someone who is not even on the GOAT list?

I mean... that's the point of his comment as I understood it. The argument that Maru can't be the Goat because he loses vs Serral is as reasonable as the argument Serral can't be the Goat because he lost 5-0 to Clem.


I’m not a big fan of head-to-heads, generally it’s how you do versus the overall field that’s more important by far.

But I think it can become meaningful, even if it’s a tie-breaker. Player A with very similar achievements to B otherwise wins off H2H as a tiebreaker.

I don’t think Serral’s winning H2H necessarily is that tiebreaker, but I do think it’s indicative of why he’s the greater player, for me.

If you can’t be the all-conquering, dominant player, well another path to greatness is peaking when it counts, it’s those underdog wins, it’s you set planning to conquer the superior foe on paper.

Maru’s overall performance I think is better than some give
him credit for, for me he’s comfortably been the second best player in the world overall for the past half-decadish. But it’s been a long time since he pulled out the latter from his locker.

It would be one thing if the match H2H was as it is now, but it’s full of all-time great series that could have gone either way. Mostly he’s just been battered over a long period of time, playing much the same way. Hey old man Mvp ultimately lost to Life, but his greatness rep was still enhanced for even getting there, testing Life to his limits despite injury really hampering his game.

Lower stakes tournament sure, but Serral in recent times lost his first ZvP in forever in a patch Zergs aren’t enjoying the matchup on to out it mildly. Then another one immediately. Then come Masters Colosseum a few days later he loses to MaxPax. A day to sleep on it and make a few tweaks and he comes back and batters both him and herO to win the thing.

I think it’s quite illustrative of their relative strengths and weaknesses

I will add the caveat that I’m judging Maru incredibly harshly only because it’s the top end of the GOAT ranking, he’s an incredibly talented player and a pleasure to watch.

But is he clutch? Can he grind it out to get over the line on the rare occasions he isn’t more skilled than an opponent? Sure, sometimes. But I’ve long thought JAGW papered over the very few cracks in his game and in this era you’re seeing them. Cracks Serral just doesn’t have.

It is also worth noting that Serral still has a winning record against Clem overall, from quite a few encounters.

It’s a shame the scene is as it is now because for me the two most intriguing storylines are, ‘can Clem maintain that level?’ and ‘can Serral figure out a way to live with that Clem?’ and we may never get an answer to that which is a crying shame.


I'm curious if you would feel this way if you felt Maru was underperforming due to either being injured or past his prime (no pun intended)...or both.

I feel a bit about this like I feel about watching Kobe compete against MJ or Djokovic compete against Federer in the later years. Interesting but in the end not very illustrative.
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16101 Posts
January 22 2025 00:02 GMT
#30
On January 22 2025 08:23 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 05:40 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:25 Balnazza wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:18 Telephone wrote:
But how can he be the GOAT if he gets stomped in the finals of the biggest tournament of the season by someone not even on the GOAT list?


How can Maru be the GOAT if he constantly gets stomped by someone who got stomped in one tournament by someone who is not even on the GOAT list?

I mean... that's the point of his comment as I understood it. The argument that Maru can't be the Goat because he loses vs Serral is as reasonable as the argument Serral can't be the Goat because he lost 5-0 to Clem.


I’m not a big fan of head-to-heads, generally it’s how you do versus the overall field that’s more important by far.

But I think it can become meaningful, even if it’s a tie-breaker. Player A with very similar achievements to B otherwise wins off H2H as a tiebreaker.

I don’t think Serral’s winning H2H necessarily is that tiebreaker, but I do think it’s indicative of why he’s the greater player, for me.

If you can’t be the all-conquering, dominant player, well another path to greatness is peaking when it counts, it’s those underdog wins, it’s you set planning to conquer the superior foe on paper.

Maru’s overall performance I think is better than some give
him credit for, for me he’s comfortably been the second best player in the world overall for the past half-decadish. But it’s been a long time since he pulled out the latter from his locker.

It would be one thing if the match H2H was as it is now, but it’s full of all-time great series that could have gone either way. Mostly he’s just been battered over a long period of time, playing much the same way. Hey old man Mvp ultimately lost to Life, but his greatness rep was still enhanced for even getting there, testing Life to his limits despite injury really hampering his game.

Lower stakes tournament sure, but Serral in recent times lost his first ZvP in forever in a patch Zergs aren’t enjoying the matchup on to out it mildly. Then another one immediately. Then come Masters Colosseum a few days later he loses to MaxPax. A day to sleep on it and make a few tweaks and he comes back and batters both him and herO to win the thing.

I think it’s quite illustrative of their relative strengths and weaknesses

I will add the caveat that I’m judging Maru incredibly harshly only because it’s the top end of the GOAT ranking, he’s an incredibly talented player and a pleasure to watch.

But is he clutch? Can he grind it out to get over the line on the rare occasions he isn’t more skilled than an opponent? Sure, sometimes. But I’ve long thought JAGW papered over the very few cracks in his game and in this era you’re seeing them. Cracks Serral just doesn’t have.

It is also worth noting that Serral still has a winning record against Clem overall, from quite a few encounters.

It’s a shame the scene is as it is now because for me the two most intriguing storylines are, ‘can Clem maintain that level?’ and ‘can Serral figure out a way to live with that Clem?’ and we may never get an answer to that which is a crying shame.

I see where you're coming from but Maru is now already in his 16th year as a fulltime pro and I don't think it's fair to judge his career by his losses to Serral at this stage of his career, he may just lack the drive now to overcome the problem after such a long time in the business.

The much better argument against him imo is the lack of a world championship, which he could win at no stage in his career. Had Maru won at least one I'd still back him as the Goat, but with Serrals continous success I agree that he finally has surpassed Maru due to the latters failure to succeed in this particular domain.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
January 22 2025 01:14 GMT
#31
On January 22 2025 09:02 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 08:23 WombaT wrote:
On January 22 2025 05:40 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:25 Balnazza wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:18 Telephone wrote:
But how can he be the GOAT if he gets stomped in the finals of the biggest tournament of the season by someone not even on the GOAT list?


How can Maru be the GOAT if he constantly gets stomped by someone who got stomped in one tournament by someone who is not even on the GOAT list?

I mean... that's the point of his comment as I understood it. The argument that Maru can't be the Goat because he loses vs Serral is as reasonable as the argument Serral can't be the Goat because he lost 5-0 to Clem.


I’m not a big fan of head-to-heads, generally it’s how you do versus the overall field that’s more important by far.

But I think it can become meaningful, even if it’s a tie-breaker. Player A with very similar achievements to B otherwise wins off H2H as a tiebreaker.

I don’t think Serral’s winning H2H necessarily is that tiebreaker, but I do think it’s indicative of why he’s the greater player, for me.

If you can’t be the all-conquering, dominant player, well another path to greatness is peaking when it counts, it’s those underdog wins, it’s you set planning to conquer the superior foe on paper.

Maru’s overall performance I think is better than some give
him credit for, for me he’s comfortably been the second best player in the world overall for the past half-decadish. But it’s been a long time since he pulled out the latter from his locker.

It would be one thing if the match H2H was as it is now, but it’s full of all-time great series that could have gone either way. Mostly he’s just been battered over a long period of time, playing much the same way. Hey old man Mvp ultimately lost to Life, but his greatness rep was still enhanced for even getting there, testing Life to his limits despite injury really hampering his game.

Lower stakes tournament sure, but Serral in recent times lost his first ZvP in forever in a patch Zergs aren’t enjoying the matchup on to out it mildly. Then another one immediately. Then come Masters Colosseum a few days later he loses to MaxPax. A day to sleep on it and make a few tweaks and he comes back and batters both him and herO to win the thing.

I think it’s quite illustrative of their relative strengths and weaknesses

I will add the caveat that I’m judging Maru incredibly harshly only because it’s the top end of the GOAT ranking, he’s an incredibly talented player and a pleasure to watch.

But is he clutch? Can he grind it out to get over the line on the rare occasions he isn’t more skilled than an opponent? Sure, sometimes. But I’ve long thought JAGW papered over the very few cracks in his game and in this era you’re seeing them. Cracks Serral just doesn’t have.

It is also worth noting that Serral still has a winning record against Clem overall, from quite a few encounters.

It’s a shame the scene is as it is now because for me the two most intriguing storylines are, ‘can Clem maintain that level?’ and ‘can Serral figure out a way to live with that Clem?’ and we may never get an answer to that which is a crying shame.

I see where you're coming from but Maru is now already in his 16th year as a fulltime pro and I don't think it's fair to judge his career by his losses to Serral at this stage of his career, he may just lack the drive now to overcome the problem after such a long time in the business.

The much better argument against him imo is the lack of a world championship, which he could win at no stage in his career. Had Maru won at least one I'd still back him as the Goat, but with Serrals continous success I agree that he finally has surpassed Maru due to the latters failure to succeed in this particular domain.

Maru’s claim is also hugely predicated on his longevity and what he’s accumulated from it. Which yeah 100% you have to give credit for. But what if Inno didn’t lose motivation, or what if other of Maru’s peers didn’t have to go to military?

I’m not judging him on the head to head itself as I think I said, but if not I’ll make it more clear. It’s that it exposes the weaknesses he has that have seen him unable to take a WC.

Oliveira was a crazy run, and an underdog and Maru was nigh-on impregnable in TvT at the time. He’s had Reynor on the ropes and thrown it away. In GSL we’ve seen Rogue a fair while ago, or Dark more recently come up with game plans to snipe a Maru who’s been consistently better than them at those times.

Players have upset the odds, came up with gameplans to counter Maru in the last few years. But Maru has singularly failed to do so on the rare case where he’s the underdog versus Serral. It’s not about that head to head really to me, it’s that it showcases his inability to replicate the kind of snipes he sometimes suffers from, against someone else.

Hey he’s still a lock for the upper GOAT echelons, but I think most of his honours come from his sheer talent and skill and being better than opponents at that time. When he doesn’t have that buffer I think you see some of the results come from there.

'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
January 22 2025 01:26 GMT
#32
On January 22 2025 08:49 rwala wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 08:23 WombaT wrote:
On January 22 2025 05:40 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:25 Balnazza wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:18 Telephone wrote:
But how can he be the GOAT if he gets stomped in the finals of the biggest tournament of the season by someone not even on the GOAT list?


How can Maru be the GOAT if he constantly gets stomped by someone who got stomped in one tournament by someone who is not even on the GOAT list?

I mean... that's the point of his comment as I understood it. The argument that Maru can't be the Goat because he loses vs Serral is as reasonable as the argument Serral can't be the Goat because he lost 5-0 to Clem.


I’m not a big fan of head-to-heads, generally it’s how you do versus the overall field that’s more important by far.

But I think it can become meaningful, even if it’s a tie-breaker. Player A with very similar achievements to B otherwise wins off H2H as a tiebreaker.

I don’t think Serral’s winning H2H necessarily is that tiebreaker, but I do think it’s indicative of why he’s the greater player, for me.

If you can’t be the all-conquering, dominant player, well another path to greatness is peaking when it counts, it’s those underdog wins, it’s you set planning to conquer the superior foe on paper.

Maru’s overall performance I think is better than some give
him credit for, for me he’s comfortably been the second best player in the world overall for the past half-decadish. But it’s been a long time since he pulled out the latter from his locker.

It would be one thing if the match H2H was as it is now, but it’s full of all-time great series that could have gone either way. Mostly he’s just been battered over a long period of time, playing much the same way. Hey old man Mvp ultimately lost to Life, but his greatness rep was still enhanced for even getting there, testing Life to his limits despite injury really hampering his game.

Lower stakes tournament sure, but Serral in recent times lost his first ZvP in forever in a patch Zergs aren’t enjoying the matchup on to out it mildly. Then another one immediately. Then come Masters Colosseum a few days later he loses to MaxPax. A day to sleep on it and make a few tweaks and he comes back and batters both him and herO to win the thing.

I think it’s quite illustrative of their relative strengths and weaknesses

I will add the caveat that I’m judging Maru incredibly harshly only because it’s the top end of the GOAT ranking, he’s an incredibly talented player and a pleasure to watch.

But is he clutch? Can he grind it out to get over the line on the rare occasions he isn’t more skilled than an opponent? Sure, sometimes. But I’ve long thought JAGW papered over the very few cracks in his game and in this era you’re seeing them. Cracks Serral just doesn’t have.

It is also worth noting that Serral still has a winning record against Clem overall, from quite a few encounters.

It’s a shame the scene is as it is now because for me the two most intriguing storylines are, ‘can Clem maintain that level?’ and ‘can Serral figure out a way to live with that Clem?’ and we may never get an answer to that which is a crying shame.


I'm curious if you would feel this way if you felt Maru was underperforming due to either being injured or past his prime (no pun intended)...or both.

I feel a bit about this like I feel about watching Kobe compete against MJ or Djokovic compete against Federer in the later years. Interesting but in the end not very illustrative.

37 year old Djokovic beat Carlos Alcaraz in the Australian open like yesterday to make the Ro4. I’m a giant Federer fanboy but I have to concede Djokovic is the GOAT, the ultimate competitor. Got battered in the Wimbledon final but won the Olympics against the same opponent.

Transplant that to SC2 and it’s basically the same. Perhaps Maru can’t do it every time, but do it sometime you know? Djokovic isn’t dominating the ATP tour anymore, but he’s still got a Grand Slam run in him.

If injuries were the issue, and I know they are an issue fair enough but it doesn’t really fit Maru’s performance profile for the last few years. He’s still putting in basically incredible results against everyone not called Serral.

They’re a factor, but IMO they’re not the issue really, least there. Mvp dropped off from jetting all over the place and winning, to those results dropping off and him having a GSL run playing a totally different style. Taeja’s results just declined and declined.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
dysenterymd
Profile Joined January 2019
1250 Posts
January 22 2025 03:09 GMT
#33
On January 22 2025 05:40 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 04:25 Balnazza wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:18 Telephone wrote:
But how can he be the GOAT if he gets stomped in the finals of the biggest tournament of the season by someone not even on the GOAT list?


How can Maru be the GOAT if he constantly gets stomped by someone who got stomped in one tournament by someone who is not even on the GOAT list?

I mean... that's the point of his comment as I understood it. The argument that Maru can't be the Goat because he loses vs Serral is as reasonable as the argument Serral can't be the Goat because he lost 5-0 to Clem.


What if since Serral bops Maru, Clem bops Serral (recently), and Gumiho bops Clem, we concluded Gumiho = Goat and all went home happy?
Serral | Inno | sOs | soO | Has | Classic
Nasigil1
Profile Joined March 2024
114 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-01-22 03:26:26
January 22 2025 03:20 GMT
#34
The only thing I didn't agree in the original ranking was the omission of Dark and Serral/Maru debate. Glad to see both things fixed.

Respect for Miz to update the ranking. I can imagine how hard it is to walk back on your position after defending it for a whole year. But it's for the best.

I wonder how often the Serral/Maru situation happens in any sports. Imagine Jordan and LeBron plays in the same era, both had the same decorated career but never meet in the finals, and when they finally meet MJ sweeps LeBron two years straight. That's basically what happens in SC2 in 2024.
JJH777
Profile Joined January 2011
United States4420 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-01-22 04:29:17
January 22 2025 04:16 GMT
#35
This year was disappointing as a Maru fan. On one hand he had unbelievable consistency and won yet another GSL and Stars War and made 3 other finals. But the one sided beat down Serral put on him in so many consecutive maps over a bunch of events was crazy. Especially since TvZ has been pretty balanced last year. At least in 2022 when Serral beat him a few times it was obvious Zerg was the best race and their lifetime h2h wasn't that one sided yet.

I still think if Maru had won a Blizzcon or Kato at any point in his career he would be the goat despite the poor h2h vs Serral but unfortunately he just couldn't do it despite being the favorite many times.
ZerOCoolSC2
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
9069 Posts
January 22 2025 04:52 GMT
#36
Any list without TaeJa is bunk. So don't waste time on this.
Balnazza
Profile Joined January 2018
Germany1367 Posts
January 22 2025 05:35 GMT
#37
On January 22 2025 13:52 ZerOCoolSC2 wrote:
Any list without TaeJa is bunk. So don't waste time on this.


He said, wasting time on this.

But in all honesty: These kind of comments always remind me of a meme-list I once saw. It was about "ten mild inconveniences that are the worst", with No. 10 being "your mild inconvenience that is the worst not being on this list, making this list a mild inconvenience that is just the worst"
"Wenn die Zauberin runter geht, dann macht sie die Beine breit" - Khaldor, trying to cast WC3 German-only
TL+ Member
onPHYRE
Profile Joined October 2010
Bulgaria925 Posts
January 22 2025 06:56 GMT
#38
On January 22 2025 14:35 Balnazza wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 13:52 ZerOCoolSC2 wrote:
Any list without TaeJa is bunk. So don't waste time on this.


He said, wasting time on this.

But in all honesty: These kind of comments always remind me of a meme-list I once saw. It was about "ten mild inconveniences that are the worst", with No. 10 being "your mild inconvenience that is the worst not being on this list, making this list a mild inconvenience that is just the worst"


TaeJa is nowhere near the GOAT discussion. You can debate if he is #9/10 or whatever.. but to invalidate a list just because you like someone that peaked for barely 2 years.. to each their own I guess.
Livin' this life like it was written.
PremoBeats
Profile Joined March 2024
650 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-01-22 07:53:14
January 22 2025 07:50 GMT
#39
On January 22 2025 08:03 rwala wrote:
I'm probably in search of controversy (i.e. fun) for an update that is frankly not likely to be very controversial, but I do wonder--given the respective 2024s Maru and Dark had--how Dark could gain four slots while Maru could lose one. I mean, I don't really wonder, but I want people to wonder

I thought the same, but took Miz' own word "reviewing" as perhaps re-calibrating his weightings. But we can only guess, as he never exactly showed the weightings (which perhaps was a good choice, looking at how people were arguing about weighing metrics, that wouldn't have made any difference in the end, differently when I published my list).

On January 22 2025 08:23 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 05:40 Charoisaur wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:25 Balnazza wrote:
On January 22 2025 04:18 Telephone wrote:
But how can he be the GOAT if he gets stomped in the finals of the biggest tournament of the season by someone not even on the GOAT list?


How can Maru be the GOAT if he constantly gets stomped by someone who got stomped in one tournament by someone who is not even on the GOAT list?

I mean... that's the point of his comment as I understood it. The argument that Maru can't be the Goat because he loses vs Serral is as reasonable as the argument Serral can't be the Goat because he lost 5-0 to Clem.


I’m not a big fan of head-to-heads, generally it’s how you do versus the overall field that’s more important by far.

But I think it can become meaningful, even if it’s a tie-breaker. Player A with very similar achievements to B otherwise wins off H2H as a tiebreaker.

I don’t think Serral’s winning H2H necessarily is that tiebreaker, but I do think it’s indicative of why he’s the greater player, for me.

If you can’t be the all-conquering, dominant player, well another path to greatness is peaking when it counts, it’s those underdog wins, it’s you set planning to conquer the superior foe on paper.

Maru’s overall performance I think is better than some give
him credit for, for me he’s comfortably been the second best player in the world overall for the past half-decadish. But it’s been a long time since he pulled out the latter from his locker.

It would be one thing if the match H2H was as it is now, but it’s full of all-time great series that could have gone either way. Mostly he’s just been battered over a long period of time, playing much the same way. Hey old man Mvp ultimately lost to Life, but his greatness rep was still enhanced for even getting there, testing Life to his limits despite injury really hampering his game.

Lower stakes tournament sure, but Serral in recent times lost his first ZvP in forever in a patch Zergs aren’t enjoying the matchup on to out it mildly. Then another one immediately. Then come Masters Colosseum a few days later he loses to MaxPax. A day to sleep on it and make a few tweaks and he comes back and batters both him and herO to win the thing.

I think it’s quite illustrative of their relative strengths and weaknesses

I will add the caveat that I’m judging Maru incredibly harshly only because it’s the top end of the GOAT ranking, he’s an incredibly talented player and a pleasure to watch.

But is he clutch? Can he grind it out to get over the line on the rare occasions he isn’t more skilled than an opponent? Sure, sometimes. But I’ve long thought JAGW papered over the very few cracks in his game and in this era you’re seeing them. Cracks Serral just doesn’t have.

It is also worth noting that Serral still has a winning record against Clem overall, from quite a few encounters.

It’s a shame the scene is as it is now because for me the two most intriguing storylines are, ‘can Clem maintain that level?’ and ‘can Serral figure out a way to live with that Clem?’ and we may never get an answer to that which is a crying shame.

I agree with your takes. Even if we look at rather subjective metrics, Maru for the most part of his career was never considered the best (probably mostly around 2018 when Serral's long lasting emergence wasn't clear yet).

And I totally agree with your last part... I very much hope that they will face at LiuLi and if Serral can't do it then, that we are able to witness another adaption of Serral at some other future tournament versus Clem.

On January 22 2025 15:56 onPHYRE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2025 14:35 Balnazza wrote:
On January 22 2025 13:52 ZerOCoolSC2 wrote:
Any list without TaeJa is bunk. So don't waste time on this.


He said, wasting time on this.

But in all honesty: These kind of comments always remind me of a meme-list I once saw. It was about "ten mild inconveniences that are the worst", with No. 10 being "your mild inconvenience that is the worst not being on this list, making this list a mild inconvenience that is just the worst"


TaeJa is nowhere near the GOAT discussion. You can debate if he is #9/10 or whatever.. but to invalidate a list just because you like someone that peaked for barely 2 years.. to each their own I guess.


Focusing on a Top 10 bring exactly such issues with itself. My idea was to circumvent such discussions, by focusing on 4 contenders that checked certain metrics, after pre-analyzing around 16 players. But even then people were mad that some of the 16 didn't make it in the Top 4 :D
Kreuger
Profile Joined October 2011
Sweden999 Posts
January 22 2025 07:58 GMT
#40
On January 22 2025 06:36 Waxangel wrote:
you're welcome content creators for some stuff to fill the gap after MC8 & LiuLi Cup


Liuli cup is just getting started
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM339
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 339
TKL 185
ProTech140
SteadfastSC 128
UpATreeSC 42
ByuN 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 34082
Calm 3335
Shuttle 2260
Jaedong 1665
Mini 613
Horang2 561
EffOrt 497
Soma 310
Rush 298
Stork 238
[ Show more ]
Soulkey 235
ZerO 215
BeSt 176
Snow 157
firebathero 110
Mong 97
Zeus 85
hero 81
910 81
Mind 70
Hyun 44
sorry 41
Shine 37
Sharp 37
Free 35
Shinee 32
Yoon 30
ToSsGirL 27
Killer 25
PianO 24
Terrorterran 24
Aegong 20
JYJ 19
Bale 17
Trap 15
Rock 14
scan(afreeca) 14
Sexy 13
Sacsri 12
HiyA 11
Hm[arnc] 9
Noble 3
Dota 2
Gorgc5903
Dendi1211
League of Legends
KnowMe3
Counter-Strike
fl0m3440
Fnx 561
x6flipin453
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King79
ChuDatz33
Other Games
singsing2073
Liquid`RaSZi1256
B2W.Neo705
hiko657
ceh9387
crisheroes309
dupreeh309
Khaldor217
420jenkins214
Livibee213
QueenE122
Trikslyr84
Beastyqt76
Dewaltoss62
C9.Mang056
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV263
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH291
• Hinosc 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 4108
• WagamamaTV394
League of Legends
• Nemesis2595
Other Games
• Shiphtur782
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
17h 51m
INu's Battles
18h 51m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
20h 51m
OSC
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 6h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.