• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:38
CEST 22:38
KST 05:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7915 users

The future of Protoss. Is there any hope? - Page 34

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 46 Next All
SC-Shield
Profile Joined December 2018
Bulgaria880 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-30 20:58:28
December 30 2021 20:44 GMT
#661
On December 31 2021 03:35 Beelzebub1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 31 2021 00:45 SC-Shield wrote:
On December 26 2021 05:24 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 26 2021 04:39 Athenau wrote:
If anything, this thread has convinced me that the main problem isn't protoss, it's zerg. Looks like the future of SC2 is going to be the top zergs trading wins amongst each other until the game dies, exciting!


Pretty much this, but any nerfs to Zerg would have to be specifically targeted for the match up, it can't hobble TvZ which is still as far as I know pretty balanced.

I think a poster somewhere a few pages back had the idea to make Storm do bonus damage against burrowed units to let Protoss ground armies push out/break out of Lurker contains. Honestly I think it's a really good idea, it's not elegant but I think it would be effective.

The real solution would be to buff Gateway units to allow them to pressure Zerg more in the early/mid game, but if Blizzard won't even put in band-aid fixes like the + burrowed damage, there is no way in hell they would ever do an in depth change like that.

Why will Blizzard not hear our cries? How does Heroes of the Storm get routine balance patches and hero reworks while having no competitive scene to speak of while Starcraft 2 and Brood War still have thriving (relatively) pro scenes and active player bases?


I don't think Blizzard will actively patch sc2 anymore. Their last patch was in April and it was just cosmetics.


Which is utter horse shit, like I said in the post, how the hell are you going to not even apply very small balance tweaks (imo all SC2 even needs) to a game with a still living competitive scene when HOTS has their dev team that..

Sits down and takes data...

Watches their extremely limited pro scene along with compiling ladder statistics...

Not only makes the changes, but also usually has 1 - 2 paragraphs on why they made the changes in the first place, usually all of them that I read are in the interest of buffing older heroes that have suffered due to power creep.

Seriously it just makes no sense, why couldn't the same team that does HOTS do SC2 as well? The complete lack of blue posts even regarding SC2 is an insult to the community.


I understand how you feel. I'm sort of in the same shoes as well. Blizzard killed sc2 for me when they silently increased 1vs1 masters 3 mmr in EU from ~4400 to 4650 which used to be masters 2 as far as I remember. That was a year ago. I've been experiencing random disconnects since last December, and Blizzard support always brushes it off by saying that it's my ISP when my ISP actually denies that. In fact, I don't experience any disconnect from any other service at time of sc2 disconnect. It's never happened in other games so far unless the whole internet service was gone.

Having said that, I'm not a financial expert by any means but judging by these:

Twitch viewers (SC + SC2 = 3k viewers during holiday season...)
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


Activision Blizzard stocks:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


I'm not really optimistic that Blizzard will suddenly decide to focus on StarCraft since it's not where viewership is. If we compare like for like (Blizzard only games), it makes more sense if they focus more on WoW which they probably do...

On topic:
I don't feel any significant change/issues as a protoss at lower levels than pros. However, watching ShoWTimE's stream today, disruptor shots really feel gimmicky. Terrans have learnt how to snipe disruptors just in time in some situations... In my opinion, as someone who has played StarCraft since 2006 and SC2 since beta, problem with Protoss in sc2 is it has too many spellcasters. It's so easy to mess up and lose the game if casters aren't played right. If Protoss is changed in such a way to rely slightly less on cast abilities, then it may be all we need for Protoss.
InfCereal
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada1759 Posts
December 30 2021 22:11 GMT
#662
The MMR boundaries are adjusted automatically IIRC. That's why they always freak out at the start of the season - not enough players playing, so they go out of wack for a week. They eventually even out, but never the same as the season before.

Cereal
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-31 00:01:46
December 30 2021 23:58 GMT
#663
Twitch viewers (SC + SC2 = 3k viewers during holiday season...)


The fuck does this have to do with anything? There are no EVENTS happening right now. SC2 hasn't been a major player in day to day casual viewership in years. Tournaments drive viewers in this game. It's been that way for 10 years. December-January leading up to Katowice has been the SLOW period of SC2 ever since Blizzcon ending in November was a thing.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but I HATE when people plug random out of context twitch numbers as if they matter for anything. The most asinine metric possible.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
InfCereal
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada1759 Posts
December 31 2021 02:05 GMT
#664
There's this dumb rhetoric the past few years that a game is only worth playing if people watch it on twitch.

Never really followed why
Cereal
Shinokuki
Profile Joined July 2013
United States924 Posts
December 31 2021 02:14 GMT
#665
On December 31 2021 05:44 SC-Shield wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 31 2021 03:35 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 31 2021 00:45 SC-Shield wrote:
On December 26 2021 05:24 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 26 2021 04:39 Athenau wrote:
If anything, this thread has convinced me that the main problem isn't protoss, it's zerg. Looks like the future of SC2 is going to be the top zergs trading wins amongst each other until the game dies, exciting!


Pretty much this, but any nerfs to Zerg would have to be specifically targeted for the match up, it can't hobble TvZ which is still as far as I know pretty balanced.

I think a poster somewhere a few pages back had the idea to make Storm do bonus damage against burrowed units to let Protoss ground armies push out/break out of Lurker contains. Honestly I think it's a really good idea, it's not elegant but I think it would be effective.

The real solution would be to buff Gateway units to allow them to pressure Zerg more in the early/mid game, but if Blizzard won't even put in band-aid fixes like the + burrowed damage, there is no way in hell they would ever do an in depth change like that.

Why will Blizzard not hear our cries? How does Heroes of the Storm get routine balance patches and hero reworks while having no competitive scene to speak of while Starcraft 2 and Brood War still have thriving (relatively) pro scenes and active player bases?


I don't think Blizzard will actively patch sc2 anymore. Their last patch was in April and it was just cosmetics.


Which is utter horse shit, like I said in the post, how the hell are you going to not even apply very small balance tweaks (imo all SC2 even needs) to a game with a still living competitive scene when HOTS has their dev team that..

Sits down and takes data...

Watches their extremely limited pro scene along with compiling ladder statistics...

Not only makes the changes, but also usually has 1 - 2 paragraphs on why they made the changes in the first place, usually all of them that I read are in the interest of buffing older heroes that have suffered due to power creep.

Seriously it just makes no sense, why couldn't the same team that does HOTS do SC2 as well? The complete lack of blue posts even regarding SC2 is an insult to the community.


I understand how you feel. I'm sort of in the same shoes as well. Blizzard killed sc2 for me when they silently increased 1vs1 masters 3 mmr in EU from ~4400 to 4650 which used to be masters 2 as far as I remember. That was a year ago. I've been experiencing random disconnects since last December, and Blizzard support always brushes it off by saying that it's my ISP when my ISP actually denies that. In fact, I don't experience any disconnect from any other service at time of sc2 disconnect. It's never happened in other games so far unless the whole internet service was gone.

Having said that, I'm not a financial expert by any means but judging by these:

Twitch viewers (SC + SC2 = 3k viewers during holiday season...)
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


Activision Blizzard stocks:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


I'm not really optimistic that Blizzard will suddenly decide to focus on StarCraft since it's not where viewership is. If we compare like for like (Blizzard only games), it makes more sense if they focus more on WoW which they probably do...

On topic:
I don't feel any significant change/issues as a protoss at lower levels than pros. However, watching ShoWTimE's stream today, disruptor shots really feel gimmicky. Terrans have learnt how to snipe disruptors just in time in some situations... In my opinion, as someone who has played StarCraft since 2006 and SC2 since beta, problem with Protoss in sc2 is it has too many spellcasters. It's so easy to mess up and lose the game if casters aren't played right. If Protoss is changed in such a way to rely slightly less on cast abilities, then it may be all we need for Protoss.


Not sure why you're lumping in SC with SC2. SC is getting 300k viewers on really good days and avg of 30k~80k on afreeca
Life is just life
SC-Shield
Profile Joined December 2018
Bulgaria880 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-31 02:44:53
December 31 2021 02:32 GMT
#666
On December 31 2021 08:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
Show nested quote +
Twitch viewers (SC + SC2 = 3k viewers during holiday season...)


The fuck does this have to do with anything? There are no EVENTS happening right now. SC2 hasn't been a major player in day to day casual viewership in years. Tournaments drive viewers in this game. It's been that way for 10 years. December-January leading up to Katowice has been the SLOW period of SC2 ever since Blizzcon ending in November was a thing.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but I HATE when people plug random out of context twitch numbers as if they matter for anything. The most asinine metric possible.


Of course Twitch viewership matters. How else do streamers earn a living apart from tournaments or when there is no active one yet? Otherwise, why stream..? For fun and for pros to expose their strategies publicly? In addition, Twitch views = game is exposed to wider audience to attract new players. I said at no point that this is typical sc2, but I'd lie if I say that I didn't expect MORE activity during a holiday period when people get free time to play. Remember, the game is not just played by 14-16 years old kids.

Let's not make up excuses please. A few years ago, sc2 tournament had 40k viewers online and I heard no complaints back then.

Edit: Here is an example: Forgg relies on Twitch views and subscribers:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
December 31 2021 07:48 GMT
#667
The Holiday season is the slow season for SC2. Has been forever. The fact you're choosing to highlight IT as some kind of ridiculous metric just weakens the hell out of your argument to anyone that actually watches Starcraft 2.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
December 31 2021 08:59 GMT
#668
On December 31 2021 11:32 SC-Shield wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 31 2021 08:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
Twitch viewers (SC + SC2 = 3k viewers during holiday season...)


The fuck does this have to do with anything? There are no EVENTS happening right now. SC2 hasn't been a major player in day to day casual viewership in years. Tournaments drive viewers in this game. It's been that way for 10 years. December-January leading up to Katowice has been the SLOW period of SC2 ever since Blizzcon ending in November was a thing.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but I HATE when people plug random out of context twitch numbers as if they matter for anything. The most asinine metric possible.


Of course Twitch viewership matters. How else do streamers earn a living apart from tournaments or when there is no active one yet? Otherwise, why stream..? For fun and for pros to expose their strategies publicly? In addition, Twitch views = game is exposed to wider audience to attract new players. I said at no point that this is typical sc2, but I'd lie if I say that I didn't expect MORE activity during a holiday period when people get free time to play. Remember, the game is not just played by 14-16 years old kids.

Let's not make up excuses please. A few years ago, sc2 tournament had 40k viewers online and I heard no complaints back then.

Edit: Here is an example: Forgg relies on Twitch views and subscribers:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Blizzard stopped patching SC2 because simply at some point you have to end supporting your product. The issue is that Blizzard left us with one of the worst viewership states possible.

To be fair Blizzard poured pretty big money into the game even while not touching it so you can't just say "it just requires a small team" when Blizzard is literally keeping the game relevant by spending their money on the tournaments.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
Vision_
Profile Joined September 2018
877 Posts
December 31 2021 13:11 GMT
#669
The main problem in SC2 remains the same that his brother,... you haven t to travel for gather ressources, in other words you can gather ressources near your bases, that s why strategy doesn t evolved so much since SC:WoL
SC-Shield
Profile Joined December 2018
Bulgaria880 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-31 13:26:15
December 31 2021 13:23 GMT
#670
On December 31 2021 16:48 Vindicare605 wrote:
The Holiday season is the slow season for SC2. Has been forever. The fact you're choosing to highlight IT as some kind of ridiculous metric just weakens the hell out of your argument to anyone that actually watches Starcraft 2.


I don't disagree with you that Twitch viewership is significantly driven by whether there is a major tournament or not. For instance, a few years ago I noticed on Twitch that CS had 1 million viewers and here is the article to back this up: https://dotesports.com/counter-strike/news/pgl-stockholm-major-peaks-at-1-million-viewers-during-heroic-vs-virtus-pro

I don't think you're entirely correct to support the idea that sc2 is just what it is December-January for X amount of years. That's not healthy for the scene. As a spectator you may not care, but these people (pros) pay bills, rents, etc. Only so few earn enough from a tournament to pay costs for >1 month imho. In other words, won amount of money entirely depends on how far they go into the tournament as I'm sure we all know. In the meantime, they need another income and what is better than stream? So I'll reiterate with my thoughts.
Twitch viewership:
- additional money into the scene to keep pros motivated
- "free" ad for a game to be picked up by someone casually browsing Twitch
- keeps viewers engaged in discussions / game itself

Let's just agree to disagree. This discussion is already offtopic...
nutraroyalss
Profile Joined January 2022
2 Posts
January 01 2022 05:54 GMT
#671
--- Nuked ---
necrosexy
Profile Joined March 2011
451 Posts
January 01 2022 18:21 GMT
#672
On December 31 2021 11:32 SC-Shield wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 31 2021 08:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
Twitch viewers (SC + SC2 = 3k viewers during holiday season...)


The fuck does this have to do with anything? There are no EVENTS happening right now. SC2 hasn't been a major player in day to day casual viewership in years. Tournaments drive viewers in this game. It's been that way for 10 years. December-January leading up to Katowice has been the SLOW period of SC2 ever since Blizzcon ending in November was a thing.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but I HATE when people plug random out of context twitch numbers as if they matter for anything. The most asinine metric possible.


Of course Twitch viewership matters. How else do streamers earn a living apart from tournaments or when there is no active one yet? Otherwise, why stream..? For fun and for pros to expose their strategies publicly? In addition, Twitch views = game is exposed to wider audience to attract new players. I said at no point that this is typical sc2, but I'd lie if I say that I didn't expect MORE activity during a holiday period when people get free time to play. Remember, the game is not just played by 14-16 years old kids.

Let's not make up excuses please. A few years ago, sc2 tournament had 40k viewers online and I heard no complaints back then.

Edit: Here is an example: Forgg relies on Twitch views and subscribers:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

40k viewers a few years ago? is that aggregate?
the first sc2 TSL had ~55k tops

after the bl-infestor disaster in Wings, viewership never recovered
Xain0n
Profile Joined November 2018
Italy3963 Posts
January 01 2022 20:21 GMT
#673
On January 02 2022 03:21 necrosexy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 31 2021 11:32 SC-Shield wrote:
On December 31 2021 08:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
Twitch viewers (SC + SC2 = 3k viewers during holiday season...)


The fuck does this have to do with anything? There are no EVENTS happening right now. SC2 hasn't been a major player in day to day casual viewership in years. Tournaments drive viewers in this game. It's been that way for 10 years. December-January leading up to Katowice has been the SLOW period of SC2 ever since Blizzcon ending in November was a thing.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but I HATE when people plug random out of context twitch numbers as if they matter for anything. The most asinine metric possible.


Of course Twitch viewership matters. How else do streamers earn a living apart from tournaments or when there is no active one yet? Otherwise, why stream..? For fun and for pros to expose their strategies publicly? In addition, Twitch views = game is exposed to wider audience to attract new players. I said at no point that this is typical sc2, but I'd lie if I say that I didn't expect MORE activity during a holiday period when people get free time to play. Remember, the game is not just played by 14-16 years old kids.

Let's not make up excuses please. A few years ago, sc2 tournament had 40k viewers online and I heard no complaints back then.

Edit: Here is an example: Forgg relies on Twitch views and subscribers:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

40k viewers a few years ago? is that aggregate?
the first sc2 TSL had ~55k tops

after the bl-infestor disaster in Wings, viewership never recovered


Viewership never reached the best numbers of WoL again, yes, but it's far from true that it never recovered.
It went better after the game became free to play in LoTV and it kept growing at least until BlizzCon 2018, which had a massive peak.
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
January 02 2022 12:06 GMT
#674
If I am agreeing with Xainon you know something is going on. Just sayin.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27415 Posts
January 02 2022 12:47 GMT
#675
On January 02 2022 21:06 Vindicare605 wrote:
If I am agreeing with Xainon you know something is going on. Just sayin.

Currently keeping my eyes peeled for the other harbingers of the apocalypse.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Mutaller
Profile Blog Joined July 2013
United States1051 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-02 18:17:03
January 02 2022 16:57 GMT
#676
Although performances and numbers of protoss have been weak, I don't think there's no chance. I honestly feel like PartinG leaving for military service hurts, but Trap is the man. I think Trap has a chance of winning a GSL in the current state of the game.
"To practice isn't for you to get better now in the present. Practice will never betray you and will always come back for you in the future." -Jaedong
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-01-02 18:33:47
January 02 2022 18:32 GMT
#677
On January 03 2022 01:57 reps)squishy wrote:
Although performances and numbers of protoss have been weak, I don't think there's no chance. I honestly feel like PartinG leaving for military service hurts, but Trap is the man. I think Trap has a chance of winning a GSL in the current state of the game.

Trap won't win a GSL title unless he gets like 10 tries. The only chance is that he will be there against even worse choker. There's a reason why Trap has so many of the top tier titles. FFS how long it took to Cure to win a GSL title and for the last 4 years every GSL started with Cure demolishing everybody in the lesser tournaments and everybody calling Cure to be a serious contender. And then what? Then nothing. (also known as the online Cure)

Edit> TBH it may have been longer than 4 years.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27415 Posts
January 02 2022 19:46 GMT
#678
On January 03 2022 03:32 deacon.frost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 03 2022 01:57 reps)squishy wrote:
Although performances and numbers of protoss have been weak, I don't think there's no chance. I honestly feel like PartinG leaving for military service hurts, but Trap is the man. I think Trap has a chance of winning a GSL in the current state of the game.

Trap won't win a GSL title unless he gets like 10 tries. The only chance is that he will be there against even worse choker. There's a reason why Trap has so many of the top tier titles. FFS how long it took to Cure to win a GSL title and for the last 4 years every GSL started with Cure demolishing everybody in the lesser tournaments and everybody calling Cure to be a serious contender. And then what? Then nothing. (also known as the online Cure)

Edit> TBH it may have been longer than 4 years.

Worse players than Trap have won GSLs, better players than him arguably have not, soO for example.

As underwhelming as Trap’s efforts in finals have been, he’s made three in a relatively short span of time, and won or finished high in a ton of Premier tournaments.

Cure’s a very good player and pulled it off, he doesn’t have close to Trap’s general body of accomplishments and if Trap is flakey Cure is many times so. Even with Covid reshaping the scene the fabled power of online Cure hasn’t measured up to what Trap’s pulled off. Indeed, a GSL silver and gold are big prestige placings that Cure pulled off offline.

If there’s a huge obstacle in Trap’s path, I just don’t see him beating Dark or Rogue in a GSL finals, he dodged that last season, beat Maru only to perform badly against Cure, a real missed opportunity. One of his worst showings in quite some time.

Even if we have a mere 3 GSLs left, Trap has been a lock for Ro8 forever, if he can show up all he needs is a good bracket for a mere 2 matches following and could quite conceivably take one home.

If his level drops, or he gets tough brackets each time then, maybe he doesn’t get to add the GSL cap to his collection.

Zest will be gone, Classic and herO while improving aren’t quite on that level again yet. Maru is Maru but they trade about 50/50 and Rogue and Dark are there. Cure has joined the champions’s club, but isn’t exactly Mr Consistent, and I’d favour Trap’s best PvT form against Cure’s best Tvp

Easier said than done but if you can negotiate the group phase safely, which Trap routinely does, there aren’t a massive amount of real threats left these days.



'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Drahkn
Profile Joined June 2021
199 Posts
January 02 2022 21:13 GMT
#679
On January 03 2022 04:46 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 03 2022 03:32 deacon.frost wrote:
On January 03 2022 01:57 reps)squishy wrote:
Although performances and numbers of protoss have been weak, I don't think there's no chance. I honestly feel like PartinG leaving for military service hurts, but Trap is the man. I think Trap has a chance of winning a GSL in the current state of the game.

Trap won't win a GSL title unless he gets like 10 tries. The only chance is that he will be there against even worse choker. There's a reason why Trap has so many of the top tier titles. FFS how long it took to Cure to win a GSL title and for the last 4 years every GSL started with Cure demolishing everybody in the lesser tournaments and everybody calling Cure to be a serious contender. And then what? Then nothing. (also known as the online Cure)

Edit> TBH it may have been longer than 4 years.

Worse players than Trap have won GSLs, better players than him arguably have not, soO for example.

As underwhelming as Trap’s efforts in finals have been, he’s made three in a relatively short span of time, and won or finished high in a ton of Premier tournaments.

Cure’s a very good player and pulled it off, he doesn’t have close to Trap’s general body of accomplishments and if Trap is flakey Cure is many times so. Even with Covid reshaping the scene the fabled power of online Cure hasn’t measured up to what Trap’s pulled off. Indeed, a GSL silver and gold are big prestige placings that Cure pulled off offline.

If there’s a huge obstacle in Trap’s path, I just don’t see him beating Dark or Rogue in a GSL finals, he dodged that last season, beat Maru only to perform badly against Cure, a real missed opportunity. One of his worst showings in quite some time.

Even if we have a mere 3 GSLs left, Trap has been a lock for Ro8 forever, if he can show up all he needs is a good bracket for a mere 2 matches following and could quite conceivably take one home.

If his level drops, or he gets tough brackets each time then, maybe he doesn’t get to add the GSL cap to his collection.

Zest will be gone, Classic and herO while improving aren’t quite on that level again yet. Maru is Maru but they trade about 50/50 and Rogue and Dark are there. Cure has joined the champions’s club, but isn’t exactly Mr Consistent, and I’d favour Trap’s best PvT form against Cure’s best Tvp

Easier said than done but if you can negotiate the group phase safely, which Trap routinely does, there aren’t a massive amount of real threats left these days.






Trap doesn't choke, Trap plays Protoss, and like most other Protoss players when faced with the top of the food chain of the two other races lose in finals. Trap has some of the most insane comebacks he is stonecold. Just s omething people need to start to understand, if a top tier Zerg or Terran knows whats coming you in big trouble as protoss and at the highest tier of SC2 people know how to read Protoss and they make Protosses look silly. Because Protoss is weakest race by far
Beelzebub1
Profile Joined May 2015
1005 Posts
January 02 2022 23:06 GMT
#680
Trap doesn't choke


I'm not entirely disagreeing with what you're saying, but this is just plain wrong. Don't get me wrong nothing but respect for Trap he's top tier no doubt, but I've seen his level of competitive form fluctuate alot over the years so to say he doesn't choke is a total fallacy.
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 46 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 571
UpATreeSC 106
JuggernautJason21
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 694
Dewaltoss 114
firebathero 94
Zeus 69
Trap 39
910 30
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 24
NaDa 23
Dota 2
monkeys_forever232
Counter-Strike
edward432
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS130
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3895
Liquid`Hasu2107
Other Games
summit1g5787
B2W.Neo528
byalli471
shahzam418
ToD219
C9.Mang0173
KnowMe156
Chillindude21
Railgan17
Trikslyr13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV248
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream161
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 54
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 30
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur338
• WagamamaTV265
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 22m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 22m
Stellar Fest
16h 22m
Stellar Fest
16h 22m
Stellar Fest
16h 22m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.