• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:50
CEST 08:50
KST 15:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10024 users

Disasterpiece Theater: Flash vs Curious (2015-08-14) - Pag…

Forum Index > SC2 General
78 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
BaneRiders
Profile Joined August 2013
Sweden3630 Posts
April 26 2019 17:44 GMT
#41
I remember once seeing Zanster remaxing like 3 times in a row vs Happy, and Happy's turtle fortress didn't budge at all. gg

Other than that, looking forward to the article about Firecake vs Mana
Earth, Water, Air and Protoss!
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
April 26 2019 18:55 GMT
#42
On April 27 2019 00:53 Elentos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2019 00:49 Charoisaur wrote:
Blink Sentry PvZ micro wars.

I doubt Zerg players would consider this a good side. Or a micro war. All the meaningful micro was on the Protoss side. I personally got pretty tired of watching it too since the only real deviation from +2 blink stalkers was all-ins and Zergs often looked really helpless even against just lots of stalkers.

I was watching 2014 GSL a month or two back while I worked out, and literally every PvZ was either +2 blink, blink/sentry, or a combination of the two into dying to swarmhosts like 20 minutes after the blink all-in failed. Passive play just meant zerg got their swarmhosts even faster so every game was inevitably an all-in of some kind. The blink all-in stuff was interesting for about 2 games until I realized that nearly every game was going to be that.

And lets not even get into the PvZs on Habitation Station. Oof.

It was so bad that I had to quit watching that year's GSL and skip ahead to 2016.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
Nakajin
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
Canada8991 Posts
April 26 2019 19:06 GMT
#43
On April 27 2019 03:55 Ben... wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2019 00:53 Elentos wrote:
On April 27 2019 00:49 Charoisaur wrote:
Blink Sentry PvZ micro wars.

I doubt Zerg players would consider this a good side. Or a micro war. All the meaningful micro was on the Protoss side. I personally got pretty tired of watching it too since the only real deviation from +2 blink stalkers was all-ins and Zergs often looked really helpless even against just lots of stalkers.

I was watching 2014 GSL a month or two back while I worked out, and literally every PvZ was either +2 blink, blink/sentry, or a combination of the two into dying to swarmhosts like 20 minutes after the blink all-in failed. Passive play just meant zerg got their swarmhosts even faster so every game was inevitably an all-in of some kind. The blink all-in stuff was interesting for about 2 games until I realized that nearly every game was going to be that.

And lets not even get into the PvZs on Habitation Station. Oof.

It was so bad that I had to quit watching that year's GSL and skip ahead to 2016.

Wasn't 2016 kind of shit too?
What with all the proxy reaper, roach-ravagers and pylon rush?
2015-16 were the dark age of SC for me personnally.
Writerhttp://i.imgur.com/9p6ufcB.jpg
lolfail9001
Profile Joined August 2013
Russian Federation40190 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-26 19:07:21
April 26 2019 19:06 GMT
#44
I mean, if we are honest, then first year of HotS was awesome (all the way to Zest's coronation but not beyond). Second year only had a redeeming feature in Life vs TaeJa showdowns. And third year... we don't talk about third year of HotS around here. Not in good tones, because article in OP describes my memory of it pretty vividly.
DeMoN pulls off a Miracle and Flies to the Moon
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-26 19:43:20
April 26 2019 19:39 GMT
#45
On April 27 2019 04:06 Nakajin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2019 03:55 Ben... wrote:
On April 27 2019 00:53 Elentos wrote:
On April 27 2019 00:49 Charoisaur wrote:
Blink Sentry PvZ micro wars.

I doubt Zerg players would consider this a good side. Or a micro war. All the meaningful micro was on the Protoss side. I personally got pretty tired of watching it too since the only real deviation from +2 blink stalkers was all-ins and Zergs often looked really helpless even against just lots of stalkers.

I was watching 2014 GSL a month or two back while I worked out, and literally every PvZ was either +2 blink, blink/sentry, or a combination of the two into dying to swarmhosts like 20 minutes after the blink all-in failed. Passive play just meant zerg got their swarmhosts even faster so every game was inevitably an all-in of some kind. The blink all-in stuff was interesting for about 2 games until I realized that nearly every game was going to be that.

And lets not even get into the PvZs on Habitation Station. Oof.

It was so bad that I had to quit watching that year's GSL and skip ahead to 2016.

Wasn't 2016 kind of shit too?
What with all the proxy reaper, roach-ravagers and pylon rush?
2015-16 were the dark age of SC for me personnally.

It hasn't been too bad so far, especially compared to 2014. The sieged siege tank medivac pickup stuff is pretty silly. Adepts seem pretty strong also. I've only seen one reaper game so far but the Terran lost to a roach/ravager counterattack. The maps seemed pretty questionable, at least for the first season. One had an easy access gold so Zergs would take it as their natural then roll over protoss with mass roach/ravager, but that was evened out by every zerg losing every game they didn't end with a roach/ravager push because of the stupid medivac siege tank pushes.

I wasn't watching playing Starcraft or watching GSL from about 2014 to the start of 2018 (mostly because I got so sick of swarmhosts and instead started playing other games) so everything GSL from mid-2014 to the start of last year is new to me.

Yeah it seemed like from HOTS expansion release until early 2017 or so seemed like a bad time for SC2. Once they started ironing out the biggest issues (sieged tank medivac pickups? Who thought that was a good idea???) of the LOTV expansion it seemed like the game started to come back a bit.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
Lexender
Profile Joined September 2013
Mexico2665 Posts
April 26 2019 19:46 GMT
#46
I like how everyone blames mech.

I nean its not like Swarm Host didn't cause stalemates in ZvP and EVEN ZvZ, right?

Besides 2014-2015 mech also gave some of my favorite games like MMA vs Dark and Forgg vs Life.




brickrd
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
United States4894 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-26 20:34:10
April 26 2019 20:29 GMT
#47
On April 27 2019 04:46 Lexender wrote:
I like how everyone blames mech.

I nean its not like Swarm Host didn't cause stalemates in ZvP and EVEN ZvZ, right?

Besides 2014-2015 mech also gave some of my favorite games like MMA vs Dark and Forgg vs Life.

https://youtu.be/7Qp5NwH5X7k

https://youtu.be/R5y69Hj-Kh4

no one except crazy europeans like snute and TLO was making swarm hosts against bio, and it never worked, so i don't understand what that has to do with mech being to blame for mech. the goal of turtle mech in that era was literally to never attack whether zerg made swarm hosts or not... they were still doing the exact same thing when ByuL pioneered ultra hydra queen corruptor as the standard endgame
TL+ Member
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
April 26 2019 20:35 GMT
#48
On April 27 2019 04:06 Nakajin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2019 03:55 Ben... wrote:
On April 27 2019 00:53 Elentos wrote:
On April 27 2019 00:49 Charoisaur wrote:
Blink Sentry PvZ micro wars.

I doubt Zerg players would consider this a good side. Or a micro war. All the meaningful micro was on the Protoss side. I personally got pretty tired of watching it too since the only real deviation from +2 blink stalkers was all-ins and Zergs often looked really helpless even against just lots of stalkers.

I was watching 2014 GSL a month or two back while I worked out, and literally every PvZ was either +2 blink, blink/sentry, or a combination of the two into dying to swarmhosts like 20 minutes after the blink all-in failed. Passive play just meant zerg got their swarmhosts even faster so every game was inevitably an all-in of some kind. The blink all-in stuff was interesting for about 2 games until I realized that nearly every game was going to be that.

And lets not even get into the PvZs on Habitation Station. Oof.

It was so bad that I had to quit watching that year's GSL and skip ahead to 2016.

Wasn't 2016 kind of shit too?
What with all the proxy reaper, roach-ravagers and pylon rush?
2015-16 were the dark age of SC for me personnally.

The first GSL of 2016 was actually pretty fun still (unless you supported Zerg). It may have been the hype for the new expansion still, but many things felt truly new and fresh and I enjoyed that season a lot. I'd rather have watched S1 2016 gameplay than the 2018 proxy meta, I'll tell you that much. Season 2 of 2016 though for GSL, while ByuN's rise from the ashes was a story everyone talked about, gameplay-wise we just fell off of an unbelievable cliff. The Ro8 and onwards was a complete disaster.

2017 was a much, much better year than 2016 game-wise all in all. I also still remember 2015 fondly. Not just for the quality of games (which as the OP makes clear was sometimes questionable), but also the sheer quantity we had back then (at least 5 days of offline Starcraft every week for a big part of the year).
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Nakajin
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
Canada8991 Posts
April 26 2019 21:32 GMT
#49
On April 27 2019 05:35 Elentos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 27 2019 04:06 Nakajin wrote:
On April 27 2019 03:55 Ben... wrote:
On April 27 2019 00:53 Elentos wrote:
On April 27 2019 00:49 Charoisaur wrote:
Blink Sentry PvZ micro wars.

I doubt Zerg players would consider this a good side. Or a micro war. All the meaningful micro was on the Protoss side. I personally got pretty tired of watching it too since the only real deviation from +2 blink stalkers was all-ins and Zergs often looked really helpless even against just lots of stalkers.

I was watching 2014 GSL a month or two back while I worked out, and literally every PvZ was either +2 blink, blink/sentry, or a combination of the two into dying to swarmhosts like 20 minutes after the blink all-in failed. Passive play just meant zerg got their swarmhosts even faster so every game was inevitably an all-in of some kind. The blink all-in stuff was interesting for about 2 games until I realized that nearly every game was going to be that.

And lets not even get into the PvZs on Habitation Station. Oof.

It was so bad that I had to quit watching that year's GSL and skip ahead to 2016.

Wasn't 2016 kind of shit too?
What with all the proxy reaper, roach-ravagers and pylon rush?
2015-16 were the dark age of SC for me personnally.

The first GSL of 2016 was actually pretty fun still (unless you supported Zerg). It may have been the hype for the new expansion still, but many things felt truly new and fresh and I enjoyed that season a lot. I'd rather have watched S1 2016 gameplay than the 2018 proxy meta, I'll tell you that much. Season 2 of 2016 though for GSL, while ByuN's rise from the ashes was a story everyone talked about, gameplay-wise we just fell off of an unbelievable cliff. The Ro8 and onwards was a complete disaster.

2017 was a much, much better year than 2016 game-wise all in all. I also still remember 2015 fondly. Not just for the quality of games (which as the OP makes clear was sometimes questionable), but also the sheer quantity we had back then (at least 5 days of offline Starcraft every week for a big part of the year).

I do have some great memory of those two years even if I hated most of the gameplay. Blizzcon 2015 was amazing, Gumi getting his GSL, Hydra-Polt duel and I think Olimoleague started in 2015 too and that was great. I would like to say that seeing BuyN meteoric and unstopable climb from the bottom of online cup all the way to the world stage at Blizzcon was inspiring, but on that one I have to say the infuriating gameplay was too much.
Writerhttp://i.imgur.com/9p6ufcB.jpg
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
April 26 2019 21:37 GMT
#50
Swarm Hosts were fun, I liked them. I had something around 80 % wr against them. 2 robos colossus, fast upgrades, MS rush, void rays, teleporting around to nexi when I needed to change base, templars killing anything energy based. Was fun, I liked that time :D But I hated to watch these unless herO was involved.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
getg00d
Profile Joined April 2017
United States120 Posts
April 26 2019 21:54 GMT
#51
One of a few....

+ Show Spoiler +
https://www.twitch.tv/getg00d
Justinian
Profile Joined August 2012
United Kingdom158 Posts
April 26 2019 21:58 GMT
#52
Really well written article, fun to read. More please.
TheDougler
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada8323 Posts
April 26 2019 22:50 GMT
#53
On April 26 2019 04:18 stilt wrote:
Poor curious, the worst is zvp was arguably even worse back then...


Ah, you speak of the tale of Mana vs Firecake. Yes, those were dark times indeed.
I root for Euro Zergs, NA Protoss* and Korean Terrans. (Any North American who has beat a Korean Pro as Protoss counts as NA Toss)
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10392 Posts
April 26 2019 22:58 GMT
#54
On April 26 2019 04:45 Wombat_NI wrote:
I think Terrans who insist on forms of 'mech' being viable at any cost should be forced to watch this whole VoD in its entirety every time they express such an opinion.

MockHamill, where are you?
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
Ej_
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
47656 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-26 23:06:34
April 26 2019 23:06 GMT
#55
On April 27 2019 07:50 TheDougler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 26 2019 04:18 stilt wrote:
Poor curious, the worst is zvp was arguably even worse back then...


Ah, you speak of the tale of Mana vs Firecake. Yes, those were dark times indeed.

Nope, this was after SH were efectively removed from the game so when every ZvP was mass +2 blink stalkers.
"Technically the dictionary has zero authority on the meaning or words" - Rodya
LaughNgamez
Profile Joined April 2015
Canada525 Posts
April 26 2019 23:14 GMT
#56
Blizzards response was comical, changing swarmhosts but not giving zerg a better answer to turtle mech.

I will forever not understand why Innovation did not mech vs Life in Blizzcon 2015 where it was still incredibly broken.
(◕‿◕✿) Hopefully one day a decent caster http://www.youtube.com/LaughNgamez (◠‿◠✿)
Solar424
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
United States4001 Posts
April 27 2019 01:48 GMT
#57
On April 27 2019 08:14 LaughNgamez wrote:
Blizzards response was comical, changing swarmhosts but not giving zerg a better answer to turtle mech.

I will forever not understand why Innovation did not mech vs Life in Blizzcon 2015 where it was still incredibly broken.

Why Mech when you can proxy a Thor drop you do nothing with?
RealityTheGreat
Profile Joined January 2018
China564 Posts
April 27 2019 02:48 GMT
#58
Urbanization never stop.
Betrayed, forgotten, abandoned.
RealityTheGreat
Profile Joined January 2018
China564 Posts
April 27 2019 02:49 GMT
#59
On April 26 2019 07:09 9Dimitri wrote:
Disaster? In my opinion those games were amazing.

Urbanization is the ultimate art of TvZ.
Betrayed, forgotten, abandoned.
Lambertus
Profile Joined February 2010
South Africa994 Posts
April 27 2019 04:33 GMT
#60
Mizenhauer and Wax, very good article, fun read! Your writing improved and grew so much over the years!
Please more disasterpieces :-)
The only known Reverend on TL playing SC2 and BW (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=409226)
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 263
ProTech145
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 262
Dewaltoss 112
sSak 44
Bale 36
NotJumperer 28
ZergMaN 21
Noble 14
Icarus 7
yabsab 7
League of Legends
JimRising 643
Other Games
summit1g10846
Sick193
Nina85
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick839
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream43
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1007
• Lourlo944
• Stunt502
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 10m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4h 10m
Monday Night Weeklies
9h 10m
Replay Cast
16h 10m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 4h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.