• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:47
CEST 17:47
KST 00:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9765 users

Demoted! Anyone else? - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13 14 Next All
mvdunecats
Profile Joined December 2011
United States102 Posts
April 15 2014 14:06 GMT
#61
On April 15 2014 16:52 MrMotionPicture wrote:
Well since you can no longer be demoted during the season, I think they do this to reset the ladder a little and make sure everyone is where they should be. I'm sure you'll get back to master in no time :3

Blizz should put mid-season demotions back in and reduce the number of new season demotions. It's far more demoralizing to get placed down a league at the beginning of the new season than it is to get demoted during a bad run of losses in the middle of a season.
kaluro
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands760 Posts
April 15 2014 14:20 GMT
#62
On April 15 2014 19:22 EnPo wrote:
Yeah. 2300pts masters and demoted to diamond. Takes out your fun of laddering pretty nicely, when I feel like total chobo...
I'd propably get back to masters if I wanted, but I don't feel like laddering in diamond :S


Points say very little, nothing actually.
Say I idle for 3 weeks everytime to get a -300 MMR decay, and just clear out my bonus pool everytime. I repeat this process until the end of the season, I'd have the points of a top masters player, but the MMR or a high diamond or so. (This is just an extreme example).

What happened is:

At the start of the previous season the MMR treshold to get a masters promotion was 1320 MMR.
At the start of the current season, the MMR tresold to get a masters promotion is 1520 MMR, which used to be mid masters.

www.twitch.tv/kaluroo - 720p60fps - Remember the name! - Don't do your best, do whatever it takes.
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
April 15 2014 14:20 GMT
#63
I guess I need to wait for all you pros to go up a few leagues before I start laddering.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
korona
Profile Joined October 2009
1098 Posts
April 15 2014 14:36 GMT
#64
On April 15 2014 23:20 kaluro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2014 19:22 EnPo wrote:
Yeah. 2300pts masters and demoted to diamond. Takes out your fun of laddering pretty nicely, when I feel like total chobo...
I'd propably get back to masters if I wanted, but I don't feel like laddering in diamond :S


Points say very little, nothing actually.
Say I idle for 3 weeks everytime to get a -300 MMR decay, and just clear out my bonus pool everytime. I repeat this process until the end of the season, I'd have the points of a top masters player, but the MMR or a high diamond or so. (This is just an extreme example).

It maxes out at 4 weeks marker.

On April 15 2014 23:20 kaluro wrote:
What happened is:

At the start of the previous season the MMR treshold to get a masters promotion was 1320 MMR.
At the start of the current season, the MMR tresold to get a masters promotion is 1520 MMR, which used to be mid masters.

The offsets changed few days after last season started. Those numbers are not directly comparable. Actually the relative master threshold remained the same, but everything else was lowered. The current diamond range begins relatively from old high gold range. Diamond league's MMR range almost doubled. But the decay still pushes general population downwards... It is interesting to see if Blizzard does another 'smoke and mirrors fix' in the future (they only changed offsets/thresholds, not fixed the causes for the problem) .
Drake
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany6146 Posts
April 15 2014 14:43 GMT
#65
its normal and known since last season because no demote in the seaon, there are 90% demotes AFTER season but you can easy go back
Nb.Drake / CoL_Drake / Original Joined TL.net Tuesday, 15th of March 2005
Ahli
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany355 Posts
April 15 2014 14:46 GMT
#66
On April 15 2014 23:06 mvdunecats wrote:
Blizz should put mid-season demotions back in and reduce the number of new season demotions. It's far more demoralizing to get placed down a league at the beginning of the new season than it is to get demoted during a bad run of losses in the middle of a season.

I assume it is to fight ladder anxiety. If you can't be demoted, there would be no reason to be fightened to loose more than your rank in your divison (-> no league downgrading visible in profile).
Also, I assume you have a higher chance in being promoted to a higher league that you wouldn't normally reach with that system. So, people that are "stuck" in their league forever might be able to enter the higher league in one season with a lot of luck & playing a lot early season before the normally higher, but demoted guys re-enter their skill-level leagues. But that's just speculation on my side.
AhliSC2@Twitter - GameHeart Observer UI - "HomeStoryCup XX" extension mod fixes WCS GameHeart's small bugs, adds a lot of new features -
Raziers
Profile Joined January 2013
56 Posts
April 15 2014 14:49 GMT
#67
On April 15 2014 19:02 CoraBlue wrote:
I can't speak to masters, because I'm not that good, but I am also frustrated. I ended the season at bottom of plat, won my placement match, and got placed in silver. Its not a big deal because I'm going to roll kids, its just annoying and destroys my enthusiasm to play.



Then what about the Silver players that gets destroyed by you and have there enthusiasm crashed, pretty sure it hurts more to lose hard than win easy.
followZeRoX
Profile Joined March 2011
Serbia1451 Posts
April 15 2014 14:52 GMT
#68
On April 15 2014 23:49 Raziers wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2014 19:02 CoraBlue wrote:
I can't speak to masters, because I'm not that good, but I am also frustrated. I ended the season at bottom of plat, won my placement match, and got placed in silver. Its not a big deal because I'm going to roll kids, its just annoying and destroys my enthusiasm to play.



Then what about the Silver players that gets destroyed by you and have there enthusiasm crashed, pretty sure it hurts more to lose hard than win easy.


That even doesent matter. If his mmr dropped to silver he might not just roll over them. He is equally skilled as them.
MorDka
Profile Joined October 2012
Poland543 Posts
April 15 2014 14:58 GMT
#69
On April 15 2014 19:22 EnPo wrote:
Yeah. 2300pts masters and demoted to diamond. Takes out your fun of laddering pretty nicely, when I feel like total chobo...
I'd propably get back to masters if I wanted, but I don't feel like laddering in diamond :S


Also got demoted to diamond from master played 4 games ( 2 lost, 2 won) and got back to masters. Play few games you will be back in masters...
NKexquisite
Profile Joined January 2009
United States911 Posts
April 15 2014 15:04 GMT
#70
So much crying about being demoted...

If you think you deserve to be in a higher league, play some damn ladder games and prove it...
Whattttt Upppppppp Im Nesteaaaaaa!!
KatatoniK
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
United Kingdom978 Posts
April 15 2014 15:21 GMT
#71
I lost my placement match to cannon rush into mass carrier on Alterzim ended up back in Bronze. Two PvPs later back in Silver, was half expecting the long slog of ladder purgatory that is Bronze to be quite honest. So yeah, looks like things are slowly getting back to where they should be.
Flying on the Jin Air hype plane. Lets go Maru, Rogue, sOs and the handsome CJ herO
Salient
Profile Joined August 2011
United States876 Posts
April 15 2014 15:29 GMT
#72
1. "Seasons" are pointless.
2. MMR decay, as implemented, is idiotic.
3. The lack of mid-season demotions is bad because it results in mass new season demotion ( which is demoralizing).
4. MMR should be displayed.
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
April 15 2014 15:32 GMT
#73
On April 15 2014 23:20 BisuDagger wrote:
I guess I need to wait for all you pros to go up a few leagues before I start laddering.



Didn't figure you to be a SC2 kind of guy.
TL+ Member
Incand
Profile Joined November 2012
143 Posts
April 15 2014 15:43 GMT
#74
Much prefer this system compared to risking getting demoted in the mid of a season. It's comforting to know I don't risky dropping down to dia even if I got an insane loss streak. I can try out new playstyles and lose and know I be fine just getting a few wins against before season ends
vult
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States9400 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-15 16:19:14
April 15 2014 16:05 GMT
#75
Was rank 4 diamond with somewhere around 1900points and got denoted to GOLD after winning my placement match! I didn't play for about a week before ladders locked and only unranked when it was locked.

I went 13-0 and finally got promoted to Plat, but so upset about it.
I used to play random, but for you I play very specifically.
JKM
Profile Joined November 2011
Denmark419 Posts
April 15 2014 16:14 GMT
#76
Seeing the claims in here about people getting demoted in the 2300-2500 point range makes me wonder why I didn't get demoted. I would have finished the season at ~2400 points if you added bonus pool directly to my points and ontop of that I was inactive for 6-7 straight weeks. I did go on a small win-streak the last week before season end, because I realised I would have to play to avoid demotion, but it wasn't enough to offset the decay my MMR must have suffered from inactivity.


I just wish Blizzard would display my MMR, don't care if it is privately or publically displayed, would be so much more useful than some arbitrary rank in your division!
1338, one upping 1337
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 15 2014 16:20 GMT
#77
On April 16 2014 00:04 NKexquisite wrote:
So much crying about being demoted...

If you think you deserve to be in a higher league, play some damn ladder games and prove it...

Kinda with you on this. The ranking has as much meaning as you are willing to give it. Getting demoted only means you have a quick level up early this season. Or you are now in the league you belong in.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-15 17:00:48
April 15 2014 16:56 GMT
#78
On April 16 2014 00:32 Ctone23 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2014 23:20 BisuDagger wrote:
I guess I need to wait for all you pros to go up a few leagues before I start laddering.



Didn't figure you to be a SC2 kind of guy.

I've been supporting sc2 since the first gsl. Bought a year pass in 2011. Stopped paying for sc2 when blizzard ruined wings in 2012. I'd be more active with proleague if it didn't run during my work hours! I miss 2-3 am SPL! So while I still follow all sc2 I dedicate energy to sc1. But my goal is to ladder in both sc1 and 2 start of May xD. I really want sc2 to be a great game and still grasp to some hope for LotV.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
ReMinD_
Profile Joined May 2013
Croatia846 Posts
April 15 2014 17:03 GMT
#79
Why do people care so much about league placement?
Parting: Well, even I can make better maps than these.
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-15 17:07:17
April 15 2014 17:06 GMT
#80
On April 16 2014 02:03 ReMinD_ wrote:
Why do people care so much about league placement?

Idk, I'm actually in shock of what some people here are saying. Last season I was put into gold. GOLD. I used to be a masters player. I didn't care though, played my way back to diamond, and now I'm back to plat. For all I care, I could get demoted to silver mid season and it wouldn't make a difference to me.
Refer to my post.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem314
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 314
IndyStarCraft 106
Railgan 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 55478
Shuttle 4177
BeSt 660
Horang2 584
actioN 287
Larva 268
ggaemo 190
Sexy 185
Soma 146
Mind 119
[ Show more ]
Last 102
Zeus 76
Aegong 70
Killer 55
hero 54
Hyun 53
Sea.KH 48
Dewaltoss 39
ToSsGirL 31
Bale 23
PianO 21
Rock 15
NaDa 14
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5488
qojqva3070
Dendi1424
420jenkins479
Fuzer 142
Counter-Strike
fl0m4086
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1270
Liquid`Hasu815
MindelVK15
Other Games
singsing1497
Beastyqt838
B2W.Neo771
FrodaN759
Mlord494
byalli402
ArmadaUGS197
Hui .188
KnowMe136
QueenE79
Mew2King53
CosmosSc2 27
Chillindude20
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick835
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 51
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3721
League of Legends
• Nemesis3168
Other Games
• WagamamaTV213
• Shiphtur22
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 13m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 13m
Replay Cast
7h 13m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 13m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
19h 13m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 19h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.