• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:02
CEST 17:02
KST 00:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror1[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9437 users

Demoted! Anyone else?

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
MiCroLiFe
Profile Joined March 2012
Norway275 Posts
April 15 2014 07:24 GMT
#1
Hi! I feel that this season ALOT more ppl have been demoted than usual!

I know fellow norwegian players that have been mid master every season, Even one did meet GM's and stil got demoted

Myself i had 2100 points in master and got demoted. i knew 2500+ players that got demoted aswell.


is master league shrinking to 1% or somthing?


Anyone have a thought?
Im Terran. Yes i will balance whine somethimes. And thats how we terrans survive, Hoping for balance patches<3
followZeRoX
Profile Joined March 2011
Serbia1451 Posts
April 15 2014 07:43 GMT
#2
yeah. im dia too.
MrMotionPicture
Profile Joined May 2010
United States4327 Posts
April 15 2014 07:52 GMT
#3
Well since you can no longer be demoted during the season, I think they do this to reset the ladder a little and make sure everyone is where they should be. I'm sure you'll get back to master in no time :3
"Elvis Presley" | Ret was looking at my post in the GSL video by Artosis. | MMA told me I look like Juanfran while we shared an elevator with Scarlett
Scarecrow
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Korea (South)9175 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-15 08:01:25
April 15 2014 07:59 GMT
#4
Well if the overall player pool is declining then Masters will get a smaller allocation. Combine this with no demotions in the season and you get a lot at the end. I haven't seen the stats but I wouldn't be surprised if the lower ranks were bleeding players to LoL, and especially Diablo/HS after recent releases. I expect it may eventually become like ICCUP where ranks like gold/platinum are ultra-competitive as the casuals continue to emigrate.
Yhamm is the god of predictions
WeddingEpisode
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States356 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-15 08:13:17
April 15 2014 08:01 GMT
#5
The season before last, wasn't the ladder harder?
But then last season it was made easier again like it used to be?
And now it's harder again?
We would have heard an announcement of some sort though, wouldn't we have if it were now adjusted
in some way yet again?

But I had this thought too because I was demoted - - but I wasn't playing well, so I don't know.
Still diamond
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
April 15 2014 08:16 GMT
#6
I should start playing 1on1 again, to push you guys up to the higher leagues!
Gere
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany55 Posts
April 15 2014 08:38 GMT
#7
Happened to me in 4v4 as well (despite winning the placement match!), which really sucks since there is some randomness and it's harder to climb just by skill
But it also happened last season. I played vs so many gold level teams at the beginning, which were very really good and clearly much higher than gold. So they had been demoted as well.
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
April 15 2014 08:46 GMT
#8
Demoted as well, despite being top 20 of my league with a 52% win ratio and not having undergone any loss streak before the end of the season... a bit weird, but anyway... it's a relative ranking system so why not. I'd love to see the stats of the player base league by league to understand what exactly is going on with the game.
[F_]aths
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany3947 Posts
April 15 2014 08:50 GMT
#9
I got from gold league to silver.
You don't choose to play zerg. The zerg choose you.
oGoZenob
Profile Joined December 2011
France1503 Posts
April 15 2014 09:34 GMT
#10
I went 15-3 last season and get demoted last night -_-
I like starcraft
Metalcore1993
Profile Joined November 2012
New Zealand92 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-15 09:45:54
April 15 2014 09:45 GMT
#11
Forever diamond. No change. Even lost my placement
https://twitter.com/MetalcoreSC2 http://www.twitch.tv/metalcore1993
A.Alm
Profile Joined September 2012
Sweden559 Posts
April 15 2014 09:49 GMT
#12
I've been in masters since the game came out and got demoted to Diamond this season.

I havn't played ladder in about a year (only placement game) and i finally got down to diamond so i can play people at my own skill. That "MMR decay" seems to take a while, lol.
korona
Profile Joined October 2009
1098 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-15 10:24:35
April 15 2014 09:55 GMT
#13
Few days after the start of last season Blizzard only changed league thresholds & offsets. They did not change the MMR decay that lead to the trend that general population's MMR is decreasing. Thus it was expected that many would be demoted at the start of this season if there was no new changes to the thresholds / offsets. In other words they did not fix the main cause last season, but did a 'smoke and mirrors fix'.

More about MMR decay: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/429734-ladder-deflation-and-mmr-decay

Short description: If you are inactive in certain play mode for more than 2 weeks your MMR starts decaying. At 4 weeks mark decay reaches it maximum value that roughly equals 20 straight loss. Thus you have to play at least one match in each mode every 2 weeks to prevent this. But you will still be affected indirectly as many of your opponents have been affected directly.

The old max decay was ~310. The value was not verified after last season's offset changes, but it should be close or the same. The league MMR range size estimates last season were: b 280, s 260, g 290, p 235, d 450. Master range before low GM border was ~2.3 times max decay for EU and ~1.4 times max decay for NA
CoraBlue
Profile Joined April 2014
United States24 Posts
April 15 2014 10:02 GMT
#14
I can't speak to masters, because I'm not that good, but I am also frustrated. I ended the season at bottom of plat, won my placement match, and got placed in silver. Its not a big deal because I'm going to roll kids, its just annoying and destroys my enthusiasm to play.
reapsen
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany559 Posts
April 15 2014 10:05 GMT
#15
On April 15 2014 19:02 CoraBlue wrote:
I can't speak to masters, because I'm not that good, but I am also frustrated. I ended the season at bottom of plat, won my placement match, and got placed in silver. Its not a big deal because I'm going to roll kids, its just annoying and destroys my enthusiasm to play.


Why? Just don't give a fuck, play a couple of games and i promise you'll be back where you were in no time.

Its just a friggin placement at the beginning of the season, that has absolutely no meaning at all.... just try thinking of it from this perspective: "This way you get to see a promotion screen once again!"
Faust852
Profile Joined February 2012
Luxembourg4004 Posts
April 15 2014 10:06 GMT
#16
I know some 2k3/2k4 masters that were demoted yes. Was harsh for them :/
xsnac
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Barbados1365 Posts
April 15 2014 10:12 GMT
#17
well i started this season 2-12 and i'm still facing high masters . ( was inactive for last 3 months ) . i think you guys need to play more before complainng how you got demoted but you had a positive score last season. I dont think 20 games in an entire season is enough to keep your spot and neighter your skill at master level if you were around mid master.
1/4 \pi \epsilon_0
korona
Profile Joined October 2009
1098 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-15 10:14:47
April 15 2014 10:14 GMT
#18
On April 15 2014 19:12 xsnac wrote:
well i started this season 2-12 and i'm still facing high masters . ( was inactive for last 3 months ) . i think you guys need to play more before complainng how you got demoted but you had a positive score last season. I dont think 20 games in an entire season is enough to keep your spot and neighter your skill at master level if you were around mid master.

Master league MMR range is huge. If you were in high range you will not be demoted even if you faced maximum MMR decay.
CoraBlue
Profile Joined April 2014
United States24 Posts
April 15 2014 10:21 GMT
#19
On April 15 2014 19:05 reapsen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2014 19:02 CoraBlue wrote:
I can't speak to masters, because I'm not that good, but I am also frustrated. I ended the season at bottom of plat, won my placement match, and got placed in silver. Its not a big deal because I'm going to roll kids, its just annoying and destroys my enthusiasm to play.


Why? Just don't give a fuck, play a couple of games and i promise you'll be back where you were in no time.

Its just a friggin placement at the beginning of the season, that has absolutely no meaning at all.... just try thinking of it from this perspective: "This way you get to see a promotion screen once again!"


Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but the max amount of promotions you can get in a season is 2 isn't it? If there's no limit then I'm retarded and nevermind, but being bumped down to silver and realizing you won't improve in ranking for a whole season no matter what you do is... disheartening?
EnPo
Profile Joined June 2012
Finland411 Posts
April 15 2014 10:22 GMT
#20
Yeah. 2300pts masters and demoted to diamond. Takes out your fun of laddering pretty nicely, when I feel like total chobo...
I'd propably get back to masters if I wanted, but I don't feel like laddering in diamond :S
"Enpo has good builds and is good at executing those" -Serral 2018
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem102
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 102
Railgan 90
trigger 36
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 51121
Shuttle 8890
BeSt 736
Horang2 519
actioN 211
Sexy 186
Larva 181
Soma 146
Last 125
ggaemo 122
[ Show more ]
Mind 96
Zeus 78
hero 68
Sea.KH 59
Killer 52
Hyun 52
Aegong 48
ToSsGirL 31
Bale 26
PianO 25
Rock 17
NaDa 14
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc4982
qojqva2429
Dendi1363
420jenkins532
Fuzer 84
Counter-Strike
fl0m3600
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1066
Liquid`Hasu779
MindelVK0
Other Games
B2W.Neo857
Beastyqt591
Mlord463
byalli384
Livibee218
Hui .212
ArmadaUGS204
KnowMe118
QueenE76
Mew2King59
CosmosSc2 38
Chillindude13
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick795
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream62
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 45
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2771
League of Legends
• Nemesis3207
Other Games
• WagamamaTV215
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 59m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 59m
Replay Cast
7h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 59m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
19h 59m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 19h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.