• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:27
CEST 02:27
KST 09:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9249 users

Study: Players start slowing down at age 24 - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
192 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
nuogaiyen
Profile Joined May 2012
United States42 Posts
April 11 2014 14:23 GMT
#41
@.@, I'm 25, but I'll keep playing if Polt and Bomber keeps on competing, Old Geezers FTW.
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
April 11 2014 14:24 GMT
#42
On April 11 2014 10:30 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2014 08:50 CrushDog5 wrote:
On April 11 2014 08:46 BisuDagger wrote:
I have actually improved a ton recently. At 26 my typing dexterity and apm has greatly increased, but I'm also someone who matured late mentally too.


I would expect that everyone ages in exactly the same way as everyone else. Remember, though, that aging and experience are independent factors. You can get better with practice, even as you get slower with age.

How can you say everyone ages in the same way? I've always been 3-4 behind in maturity. While I have always been intelligent, I didn't start thinking very independently till much later the most. I don't practice so lot, I just understand the game better now and decisions are much easier/quicker to make.



Ha, well it's always easy to say to ones self "I'm intelligent! I do things well!"

I think the data of this study is interesting, if not a little skewed (what study isn't?). Most people around that age are joining the workforce/marriage, etc.
TL+ Member
LuckyGnomTV
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Russian Federation367 Posts
April 11 2014 14:26 GMT
#43
Luckily SC2 is not only about cognitive-motor performance.
DinoMight
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States3725 Posts
April 11 2014 14:31 GMT
#44
I know this is not actually what the article is about but this seems to be where the conversation is heading :

Unless you're only counting pros, I think the analysis is pointless.

I'm 27 and I work a full-time job at a bank. I have a buddy who is 18 and in High School. Sure you could say that he is younger and has quicker reflexes and dexterity, but he sure as hell also has a lot more time to play the game.

Similarly, I have another friend who's 32 and has two daughters. He plays whenever he can and has in the past beaten me while holding one of them in his lap. Sure he plays at like 4APM, but he makes a lot better macro decisions than I do and plays in a way that compensates for his slowness.

TLDR So basically it comes down to: unless everyone has equal opportunity to practice you can't necessarily say that getting old produces worse results.
"Wtf I come back and find myself in camp DinoMight all of a sudden, feels weird man." -Wombat_NI
DinoMight
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States3725 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-11 14:33:26
April 11 2014 14:32 GMT
#45
On April 11 2014 23:26 LuckyGnomTV wrote:
Luckily SC2 is not only about cognitive-motor performance.


THIS. x1000.

Sure they may begin to slow down at 24, but with age comes experience. You learn things such as how to read your opponent, how to prepare for a match, how to handle high stress situations... which in a game as complex as StarCraft I think are very important.

Maybe for FPS games the 24 age barrier is more relevant since (and no insult to FPS players) it comes down to "click on his face before he clicks on your face."
"Wtf I come back and find myself in camp DinoMight all of a sudden, feels weird man." -Wombat_NI
MrMotionPicture
Profile Joined May 2010
United States4327 Posts
April 11 2014 14:34 GMT
#46
It's all downhill from here.
"Elvis Presley" | Ret was looking at my post in the GSL video by Artosis. | MMA told me I look like Juanfran while we shared an elevator with Scarlett
Kitaen
Profile Joined June 2011
Austria466 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-11 14:39:29
April 11 2014 14:39 GMT
#47
what most people (including this study) forget is that after years and years of progaming there are a lot of people who lose their passion.

it's because the years of playing pc games are much more intense compared to RL sports.
you don't practice soccer 10 hours a day and sleep with 10 teammates in a dormlike appartment with 25+ years

it is way harder to "live" pc games for more than a decade (considering you start at smth like 14-15 years of age) thus many pro gamers retire in their mid 20's and only the most passionate ones will do it longer professionally.

effecto
Profile Joined February 2011
France142 Posts
April 11 2014 14:39 GMT
#48
I don't believe in those studies. Only time involved into the game decrease after 24 yo not reaction time.
Design - eddytritten.com
mcc
Profile Joined October 2010
Czech Republic4646 Posts
April 11 2014 14:40 GMT
#49
On April 11 2014 11:55 LingBlingBling wrote:
Not fan of these "studies" most are not very correct at all and sometimes silly. Maybe in athletics for professional sports like Baseball, Football(American) ECT, but saying your performance decreases on computers/games in your late 20s is just down right silly and false.

Our world functions on technology, sorry but if musicians can play at a high professional level until they are in their late 80s with a healthy brain, no way in hell a healthy 25 -35 year old is going to see a decrease in starcraft 2 performance at a professional level. Koreans stop around that age due to mandatory military service or real life priorities outside of their gaming career such as marriage ECT.

If you don't take care of yourself, you will see health problems at a young age. Pro Koreans play sc2 +12 hours a day, of course some of them will see wrist problems.

So basically you are saying that the study is false because you feel like it. Strong argument. There is a lot of mental faculties that start to decline around 25-30 years. Actually most of abstract and very complex problem solving starts to decline at about that time. Most people do not notice it until later, because they are not doing anything on the level that you could notice it. Musicians are not a good counterexample, how do they require quick reactions or complex problem solving ? Experience can balance the aging issues and does so, but to different degrees in different areas.
jackslater
Profile Joined November 2012
Russian Federation604 Posts
April 11 2014 14:40 GMT
#50
Nice, thanks!
fire_brand
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada1123 Posts
April 11 2014 14:41 GMT
#51
I can completely believe this.

I am turning 28 in a couple months, and I know my hands have slowed down and my reactions aren't quite as good as they used to be. On the other hand I think I'm better at SC2 and Dota then I was a couple years ago despite slowing down. A lot of both of these games are about predicting and decision making, and I know both of those have improved for me.

That would probably explain a lot of these anomolies of older progamers being successful. They might not be the fastest or have the highest reaction times, but they can read and predict the game better and don't have to constantly be reacting. Both SC2 and Dota are not twitch games, but games that are about decision making more than reactions.
Random player, pixel enthusiast, crappy illustrator, offlane/support
mcc
Profile Joined October 2010
Czech Republic4646 Posts
April 11 2014 14:43 GMT
#52
On April 11 2014 23:39 effecto wrote:
I don't believe in those studies. Only time involved into the game decrease after 24 yo not reaction time.

And I do not believe in gravity. I am not saying that the study is correct, as many purely statistical studies are very flawed, but you need a better argument than : "I do not like it". And it is not like it is some unexpected result. There is a lot of supporting evidence for this actually happening in the 25-30 interval.
mcc
Profile Joined October 2010
Czech Republic4646 Posts
April 11 2014 14:48 GMT
#53
Also people using personal examples seem to be missing what statistical results actually mean.
iamho
Profile Joined June 2009
United States3347 Posts
April 11 2014 14:56 GMT
#54
How do you know that older players just aren't taking more time to think than younger players are? Not to mention you split up the groups by league, which is hardly fair because anyone who has an advantage in non-mechanical abilities (older players) will inevitably have a disadvantage in mechanical abilities, because otherwise they wouldn't be in the same league.
jarod
Profile Joined September 2010
Romania766 Posts
April 11 2014 14:59 GMT
#55
i kind of agree, but it is also more related to wokring hours.. you take a relaxed aproach.. when i was around 20-21 my apm and concentration skill were much much better. Now I take the game more relaxed since i know i cannot improve too much with the amount of time i invest in the game. But hey, watching SC2 competition is more fun after you have more then 24 years
Maru | Life | herO
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
April 11 2014 15:04 GMT
#56
On April 11 2014 23:48 mcc wrote:
Also people using personal examples seem to be missing what statistical results actually mean.


Seriously. Doesn't anyone learn about science and statistics in school?!?
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
April 11 2014 15:05 GMT
#57
Can confirm. 5 years passed 24. Started noticing decay about 3 years ago.
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
April 11 2014 15:09 GMT
#58
--- Nuked ---
nkr
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden5451 Posts
April 11 2014 15:11 GMT
#59
I would rather read the statistics saying that players above the age of 24 are slightly slower, not that you get slower after the age of 24. There are other factors not taken into account that can give you the same result.
ESPORTS ILLUMINATI
ProBell
Profile Joined May 2012
Thailand145 Posts
April 11 2014 15:13 GMT
#60
I 25, 26 in June. I grandpa
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2310
Artosis 683
White-Ra 109
910 45
Dota 2
monkeys_forever580
NeuroSwarm183
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv212
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe155
Heroes of the Storm
Trikslyr114
Other Games
summit1g8398
shahzam603
JimRising 543
C9.Mang0303
ArmadaUGS47
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick783
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream318
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 113
• davetesta22
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 34m
Afreeca Starleague
9h 34m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
23h 34m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.