• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:18
CEST 21:18
KST 04:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7859 users

Study: Players start slowing down at age 24 - Page 10

Forum Index > SC2 General
192 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 All
wwJd)El_Mojjo
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Sweden173 Posts
April 15 2014 05:08 GMT
#181
I don't think it's that big of a deal. This video puts it all in perspective I think...
Gc.El_Mojjo
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-15 05:36:13
April 15 2014 05:33 GMT
#182
On April 15 2014 13:14 Wuster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2014 11:58 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 15 2014 00:22 Wuster wrote:
On April 11 2014 08:07 SirPinky wrote:

Interesting study. But don't you find it coincidental that 22-24 years of age is typically when people enter the workforce fulltime and reduce the amount of time they play games like Sc2. Furthermore, being less rigorous in their playstyle, they might decide to take a more relaxed approach to the game. The benchmark for me was around 23. I appreciate the time invested in the study, but don't you think it would be more beneficial to track the same group of individuals 18-30 years of age over, perhaps, a 3-5 year period to demonstrate a true cognitive motor decline? I know you might not have that luxury. But I think the psychological maturity and stage of life is really at the crux of this observation. I have no empiracal data to prove it, just a hunch. Thanks for the contribution.


You know this point has been repeated a lot and I was thinking about it the other day. In the US, less than half of all adults have a bachelors / 4-year degree. So speaking for America, the majority of people actually enter the workforce much earlier than 22 (and certainly before 24).

I have a hunch that online communities like TL tend to be more educated, but I have no proof. I certainly have no proof (or even a suspicion) that SC2 players in general are more likely to go to college either.


People that have a computer capable of playing SC2 are far more likely to come from a well educated family. That's quite simple.

The less money you have, the less likely you're going to have a graphics card in a computer - definitely a luxury. I'd argue the less wealthy you are, also the more likely you'd be a console gamer, although I don't have anything to support that, just seems intuitive.


Blizzard games are famous for being low-PC requirements. Look at WoW, as of MoP it still supports Windows XP, which came out in 2001(!).

I was even playing D3 on my old laptop that's still running Tiger, so I know for a fact that their games run on really old machines.

So it seems that you're making quite a lot of assumptions there.

Just look at the Korean scene, for a long time most people played games at PC Bangs, you don't need to come from a well educated / off family to play any game you want there.


No, they aren't. Almost none of the games when released were playable on a "standard" PC.

They are known for aging well, not for being low-PC requirements on release. SC2 is extremely CPU demanding, more so than most games still being released today. You also couldn't play it without a GPU when it was released.

My 2007 rig I had that was a prebuilt, $2,500 new could barely play SC2 upon release - it was bad enough I learned how to build a new CPU from scratch. To think the average household had a computer that could play it is nonsense.

South Korea is also an anomaly in which the culture is entirely dominated by electronics, more so than almost any other in the world.
Fhiz
Profile Joined October 2013
361 Posts
April 15 2014 14:24 GMT
#183
Wow great read, huffington post did an article on this!! http://huff.to/1iPyCfL
girls generation make u feel da heat
joohyunee
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
Korea (South)1087 Posts
April 15 2014 15:13 GMT
#184
well shit, I'm 24.
Eliezar
Profile Joined May 2004
United States481 Posts
April 15 2014 17:52 GMT
#185
On April 14 2014 17:17 Laserist wrote:
It is hilarious to see at least half of the posters are defending themselves with the argument of "I am better then before, blah blah" and completely miss the point of the research.

Your are improving f'ing slower than you should when you get older. You are probably getting better because you are trying to improve. Any near 30's or 30's people can agree that after mid 20's you are missing the old days of being fast and ambitious


Its like arguing against a round world which was known since 2600 years ago, but even though people could verifiably see the earth was round (they noticed ships sinking into the ocean as they sailed away, they noticed that during a lunar eclipse that the shadow of the earth on the moon was rounded) and yet people would still argue against a round earth still 2600 years later Flat Earth Society.

This is especially troubling when arguing against this is like arguing people don't have noses or something.
Wuster
Profile Joined May 2011
1974 Posts
April 15 2014 17:57 GMT
#186
On April 15 2014 14:33 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2014 13:14 Wuster wrote:
On April 15 2014 11:58 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 15 2014 00:22 Wuster wrote:
On April 11 2014 08:07 SirPinky wrote:

Interesting study. But don't you find it coincidental that 22-24 years of age is typically when people enter the workforce fulltime and reduce the amount of time they play games like Sc2. Furthermore, being less rigorous in their playstyle, they might decide to take a more relaxed approach to the game. The benchmark for me was around 23. I appreciate the time invested in the study, but don't you think it would be more beneficial to track the same group of individuals 18-30 years of age over, perhaps, a 3-5 year period to demonstrate a true cognitive motor decline? I know you might not have that luxury. But I think the psychological maturity and stage of life is really at the crux of this observation. I have no empiracal data to prove it, just a hunch. Thanks for the contribution.


You know this point has been repeated a lot and I was thinking about it the other day. In the US, less than half of all adults have a bachelors / 4-year degree. So speaking for America, the majority of people actually enter the workforce much earlier than 22 (and certainly before 24).

I have a hunch that online communities like TL tend to be more educated, but I have no proof. I certainly have no proof (or even a suspicion) that SC2 players in general are more likely to go to college either.


People that have a computer capable of playing SC2 are far more likely to come from a well educated family. That's quite simple.

The less money you have, the less likely you're going to have a graphics card in a computer - definitely a luxury. I'd argue the less wealthy you are, also the more likely you'd be a console gamer, although I don't have anything to support that, just seems intuitive.


Blizzard games are famous for being low-PC requirements. Look at WoW, as of MoP it still supports Windows XP, which came out in 2001(!).

I was even playing D3 on my old laptop that's still running Tiger, so I know for a fact that their games run on really old machines.

So it seems that you're making quite a lot of assumptions there.

Just look at the Korean scene, for a long time most people played games at PC Bangs, you don't need to come from a well educated / off family to play any game you want there.


No, they aren't. Almost none of the games when released were playable on a "standard" PC.

They are known for aging well, not for being low-PC requirements on release. SC2 is extremely CPU demanding, more so than most games still being released today. You also couldn't play it without a GPU when it was released.

My 2007 rig I had that was a prebuilt, $2,500 new could barely play SC2 upon release - it was bad enough I learned how to build a new CPU from scratch. To think the average household had a computer that could play it is nonsense.

South Korea is also an anomaly in which the culture is entirely dominated by electronics, more so than almost any other in the world.


Back when WC3 was under development they were quite explicit in addressing criticism that their game engine was outdated, saying it was because they didn't want the game only playable on cutting edge machines. That was a long time before SC2 of course, but I never saw anything that contradicted that stance. I guess your experience and mine are opposite ends of the spectrum, because I never had a problem playing the latest Blizzard games on my old laptop (~2008 and raided Cata and played D3 at lanch). I know I installed SC2 on my work laptop when it came out, but I have no idea the specs / age of that machine since I've gotten a new laptop since then (in 2010, so that one must have been older).

In any case, there are plenty of people who play SC2 on laptops, which come premade and retail about the cost of a console system. They don't get the best resolution / ect of course (wasn't LastShadow or one of those guys playing on a PoS laptop for a while?), but it plays, so I don't think it's so unbelievable that 'poor' gamers are limited to consoles only.
Eliezar
Profile Joined May 2004
United States481 Posts
April 15 2014 18:01 GMT
#187
On April 16 2014 02:57 Wuster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2014 14:33 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 15 2014 13:14 Wuster wrote:
On April 15 2014 11:58 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 15 2014 00:22 Wuster wrote:
On April 11 2014 08:07 SirPinky wrote:

Interesting study. But don't you find it coincidental that 22-24 years of age is typically when people enter the workforce fulltime and reduce the amount of time they play games like Sc2. Furthermore, being less rigorous in their playstyle, they might decide to take a more relaxed approach to the game. The benchmark for me was around 23. I appreciate the time invested in the study, but don't you think it would be more beneficial to track the same group of individuals 18-30 years of age over, perhaps, a 3-5 year period to demonstrate a true cognitive motor decline? I know you might not have that luxury. But I think the psychological maturity and stage of life is really at the crux of this observation. I have no empiracal data to prove it, just a hunch. Thanks for the contribution.


You know this point has been repeated a lot and I was thinking about it the other day. In the US, less than half of all adults have a bachelors / 4-year degree. So speaking for America, the majority of people actually enter the workforce much earlier than 22 (and certainly before 24).

I have a hunch that online communities like TL tend to be more educated, but I have no proof. I certainly have no proof (or even a suspicion) that SC2 players in general are more likely to go to college either.


People that have a computer capable of playing SC2 are far more likely to come from a well educated family. That's quite simple.

The less money you have, the less likely you're going to have a graphics card in a computer - definitely a luxury. I'd argue the less wealthy you are, also the more likely you'd be a console gamer, although I don't have anything to support that, just seems intuitive.


Blizzard games are famous for being low-PC requirements. Look at WoW, as of MoP it still supports Windows XP, which came out in 2001(!).

I was even playing D3 on my old laptop that's still running Tiger, so I know for a fact that their games run on really old machines.

So it seems that you're making quite a lot of assumptions there.

Just look at the Korean scene, for a long time most people played games at PC Bangs, you don't need to come from a well educated / off family to play any game you want there.


No, they aren't. Almost none of the games when released were playable on a "standard" PC.

They are known for aging well, not for being low-PC requirements on release. SC2 is extremely CPU demanding, more so than most games still being released today. You also couldn't play it without a GPU when it was released.

My 2007 rig I had that was a prebuilt, $2,500 new could barely play SC2 upon release - it was bad enough I learned how to build a new CPU from scratch. To think the average household had a computer that could play it is nonsense.

South Korea is also an anomaly in which the culture is entirely dominated by electronics, more so than almost any other in the world.


Back when WC3 was under development they were quite explicit in addressing criticism that their game engine was outdated, saying it was because they didn't want the game only playable on cutting edge machines. That was a long time before SC2 of course, but I never saw anything that contradicted that stance. I guess your experience and mine are opposite ends of the spectrum, because I never had a problem playing the latest Blizzard games on my old laptop (~2008 and raided Cata and played D3 at lanch). I know I installed SC2 on my work laptop when it came out, but I have no idea the specs / age of that machine since I've gotten a new laptop since then (in 2010, so that one must have been older).

In any case, there are plenty of people who play SC2 on laptops, which come premade and retail about the cost of a console system. They don't get the best resolution / ect of course (wasn't LastShadow or one of those guys playing on a PoS laptop for a while?), but it plays, so I don't think it's so unbelievable that 'poor' gamers are limited to consoles only.


They also said it about WoW which had graphics that were not as good as games released well before it. Blizzard's push in the 2000s was definitely to put out games that were playable on old PCs.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
April 16 2014 02:23 GMT
#188
On April 16 2014 02:57 Wuster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2014 14:33 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 15 2014 13:14 Wuster wrote:
On April 15 2014 11:58 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 15 2014 00:22 Wuster wrote:
On April 11 2014 08:07 SirPinky wrote:

Interesting study. But don't you find it coincidental that 22-24 years of age is typically when people enter the workforce fulltime and reduce the amount of time they play games like Sc2. Furthermore, being less rigorous in their playstyle, they might decide to take a more relaxed approach to the game. The benchmark for me was around 23. I appreciate the time invested in the study, but don't you think it would be more beneficial to track the same group of individuals 18-30 years of age over, perhaps, a 3-5 year period to demonstrate a true cognitive motor decline? I know you might not have that luxury. But I think the psychological maturity and stage of life is really at the crux of this observation. I have no empiracal data to prove it, just a hunch. Thanks for the contribution.


You know this point has been repeated a lot and I was thinking about it the other day. In the US, less than half of all adults have a bachelors / 4-year degree. So speaking for America, the majority of people actually enter the workforce much earlier than 22 (and certainly before 24).

I have a hunch that online communities like TL tend to be more educated, but I have no proof. I certainly have no proof (or even a suspicion) that SC2 players in general are more likely to go to college either.


People that have a computer capable of playing SC2 are far more likely to come from a well educated family. That's quite simple.

The less money you have, the less likely you're going to have a graphics card in a computer - definitely a luxury. I'd argue the less wealthy you are, also the more likely you'd be a console gamer, although I don't have anything to support that, just seems intuitive.


Blizzard games are famous for being low-PC requirements. Look at WoW, as of MoP it still supports Windows XP, which came out in 2001(!).

I was even playing D3 on my old laptop that's still running Tiger, so I know for a fact that their games run on really old machines.

So it seems that you're making quite a lot of assumptions there.

Just look at the Korean scene, for a long time most people played games at PC Bangs, you don't need to come from a well educated / off family to play any game you want there.


No, they aren't. Almost none of the games when released were playable on a "standard" PC.

They are known for aging well, not for being low-PC requirements on release. SC2 is extremely CPU demanding, more so than most games still being released today. You also couldn't play it without a GPU when it was released.

My 2007 rig I had that was a prebuilt, $2,500 new could barely play SC2 upon release - it was bad enough I learned how to build a new CPU from scratch. To think the average household had a computer that could play it is nonsense.

South Korea is also an anomaly in which the culture is entirely dominated by electronics, more so than almost any other in the world.


Back when WC3 was under development they were quite explicit in addressing criticism that their game engine was outdated, saying it was because they didn't want the game only playable on cutting edge machines. That was a long time before SC2 of course, but I never saw anything that contradicted that stance. I guess your experience and mine are opposite ends of the spectrum, because I never had a problem playing the latest Blizzard games on my old laptop (~2008 and raided Cata and played D3 at lanch). I know I installed SC2 on my work laptop when it came out, but I have no idea the specs / age of that machine since I've gotten a new laptop since then (in 2010, so that one must have been older).

In any case, there are plenty of people who play SC2 on laptops, which come premade and retail about the cost of a console system. They don't get the best resolution / ect of course (wasn't LastShadow or one of those guys playing on a PoS laptop for a while?), but it plays, so I don't think it's so unbelievable that 'poor' gamers are limited to consoles only.


If you're talking about "now" then that's fine, but computers are like 3 full generations ahead of where they were when SC2 was released. And it's safe to say that a lot of people probably didn't have the current generation when released, such as myself. Who is going to get into a game 3 years late?

A 2008 laptop would have heavily struggled with SC2 if it were not top of the line when released. Resolution is irrelevant to processing power, although you would absolutely have needed a discrete GPU as well, which are NOT standard whatsoever in laptops. Without both a top of the line processor and some sort of discrete GPU, a 2008 laptop could not have a smooth performance in SC2.

I have heard WoW particularly was very low demanding upon release, but I think that was a heavy outlier amongst games (I have never played WoW) and not as relevant to my point specific to SC2.

You can't really say there were "different experiences." Specs are specs - they are what they are.
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
April 16 2014 02:48 GMT
#189
On April 16 2014 11:23 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2014 02:57 Wuster wrote:
On April 15 2014 14:33 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 15 2014 13:14 Wuster wrote:
On April 15 2014 11:58 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 15 2014 00:22 Wuster wrote:
On April 11 2014 08:07 SirPinky wrote:

Interesting study. But don't you find it coincidental that 22-24 years of age is typically when people enter the workforce fulltime and reduce the amount of time they play games like Sc2. Furthermore, being less rigorous in their playstyle, they might decide to take a more relaxed approach to the game. The benchmark for me was around 23. I appreciate the time invested in the study, but don't you think it would be more beneficial to track the same group of individuals 18-30 years of age over, perhaps, a 3-5 year period to demonstrate a true cognitive motor decline? I know you might not have that luxury. But I think the psychological maturity and stage of life is really at the crux of this observation. I have no empiracal data to prove it, just a hunch. Thanks for the contribution.


You know this point has been repeated a lot and I was thinking about it the other day. In the US, less than half of all adults have a bachelors / 4-year degree. So speaking for America, the majority of people actually enter the workforce much earlier than 22 (and certainly before 24).

I have a hunch that online communities like TL tend to be more educated, but I have no proof. I certainly have no proof (or even a suspicion) that SC2 players in general are more likely to go to college either.


People that have a computer capable of playing SC2 are far more likely to come from a well educated family. That's quite simple.

The less money you have, the less likely you're going to have a graphics card in a computer - definitely a luxury. I'd argue the less wealthy you are, also the more likely you'd be a console gamer, although I don't have anything to support that, just seems intuitive.


Blizzard games are famous for being low-PC requirements. Look at WoW, as of MoP it still supports Windows XP, which came out in 2001(!).

I was even playing D3 on my old laptop that's still running Tiger, so I know for a fact that their games run on really old machines.

So it seems that you're making quite a lot of assumptions there.

Just look at the Korean scene, for a long time most people played games at PC Bangs, you don't need to come from a well educated / off family to play any game you want there.


No, they aren't. Almost none of the games when released were playable on a "standard" PC.

They are known for aging well, not for being low-PC requirements on release. SC2 is extremely CPU demanding, more so than most games still being released today. You also couldn't play it without a GPU when it was released.

My 2007 rig I had that was a prebuilt, $2,500 new could barely play SC2 upon release - it was bad enough I learned how to build a new CPU from scratch. To think the average household had a computer that could play it is nonsense.

South Korea is also an anomaly in which the culture is entirely dominated by electronics, more so than almost any other in the world.


Back when WC3 was under development they were quite explicit in addressing criticism that their game engine was outdated, saying it was because they didn't want the game only playable on cutting edge machines. That was a long time before SC2 of course, but I never saw anything that contradicted that stance. I guess your experience and mine are opposite ends of the spectrum, because I never had a problem playing the latest Blizzard games on my old laptop (~2008 and raided Cata and played D3 at lanch). I know I installed SC2 on my work laptop when it came out, but I have no idea the specs / age of that machine since I've gotten a new laptop since then (in 2010, so that one must have been older).

In any case, there are plenty of people who play SC2 on laptops, which come premade and retail about the cost of a console system. They don't get the best resolution / ect of course (wasn't LastShadow or one of those guys playing on a PoS laptop for a while?), but it plays, so I don't think it's so unbelievable that 'poor' gamers are limited to consoles only.


If you're talking about "now" then that's fine, but computers are like 3 full generations ahead of where they were when SC2 was released. And it's safe to say that a lot of people probably didn't have the current generation when released, such as myself. Who is going to get into a game 3 years late?

A 2008 laptop would have heavily struggled with SC2 if it were not top of the line when released. Resolution is irrelevant to processing power, although you would absolutely have needed a discrete GPU as well, which are NOT standard whatsoever in laptops. Without both a top of the line processor and some sort of discrete GPU, a 2008 laptop could not have a smooth performance in SC2.

I have heard WoW particularly was very low demanding upon release, but I think that was a heavy outlier amongst games (I have never played WoW) and not as relevant to my point specific to SC2.

You can't really say there were "different experiences." Specs are specs - they are what they are.

I bet this is a misunderstanding caused by what different people think is unplayable and what's not.

WoW was fine if you ran around outside and did quests and played the 5-man team-play part of the game. It breaks in large raids even today if you want 60+ FPS. So it's basically very similar to SC2. If you are fine with 25 FPS everything is okay and you can judge it as something that has "low PC requirement", but you'll be grinding your teeth if you pay a lot for an expensive PC and it still won't run perfect like similarly old games usually do.

Difference to SC2 is that you probably never really need high FPS in WoW as you can still play fine with things running a bit choppy. I played a lot on a crappy Athlon 64 X2 and the game always still reacted on key input while things were a slide show. The game only requires you to press a new key every second or so, so you'll always get enough feedback for what you are doing even if FPS are very low on your screen.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
April 16 2014 04:29 GMT
#190
It would be interesting to see them replicate similar studies with other competitive esports games like Street Fighter, puzzle games, etc. Although, they don't have 3rd party apm type tools to track info as far as I'm aware.
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
April 16 2014 04:59 GMT
#191
On April 16 2014 11:48 Ropid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2014 11:23 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 16 2014 02:57 Wuster wrote:
On April 15 2014 14:33 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 15 2014 13:14 Wuster wrote:
On April 15 2014 11:58 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 15 2014 00:22 Wuster wrote:
On April 11 2014 08:07 SirPinky wrote:

Interesting study. But don't you find it coincidental that 22-24 years of age is typically when people enter the workforce fulltime and reduce the amount of time they play games like Sc2. Furthermore, being less rigorous in their playstyle, they might decide to take a more relaxed approach to the game. The benchmark for me was around 23. I appreciate the time invested in the study, but don't you think it would be more beneficial to track the same group of individuals 18-30 years of age over, perhaps, a 3-5 year period to demonstrate a true cognitive motor decline? I know you might not have that luxury. But I think the psychological maturity and stage of life is really at the crux of this observation. I have no empiracal data to prove it, just a hunch. Thanks for the contribution.


You know this point has been repeated a lot and I was thinking about it the other day. In the US, less than half of all adults have a bachelors / 4-year degree. So speaking for America, the majority of people actually enter the workforce much earlier than 22 (and certainly before 24).

I have a hunch that online communities like TL tend to be more educated, but I have no proof. I certainly have no proof (or even a suspicion) that SC2 players in general are more likely to go to college either.


People that have a computer capable of playing SC2 are far more likely to come from a well educated family. That's quite simple.

The less money you have, the less likely you're going to have a graphics card in a computer - definitely a luxury. I'd argue the less wealthy you are, also the more likely you'd be a console gamer, although I don't have anything to support that, just seems intuitive.


Blizzard games are famous for being low-PC requirements. Look at WoW, as of MoP it still supports Windows XP, which came out in 2001(!).

I was even playing D3 on my old laptop that's still running Tiger, so I know for a fact that their games run on really old machines.

So it seems that you're making quite a lot of assumptions there.

Just look at the Korean scene, for a long time most people played games at PC Bangs, you don't need to come from a well educated / off family to play any game you want there.


No, they aren't. Almost none of the games when released were playable on a "standard" PC.

They are known for aging well, not for being low-PC requirements on release. SC2 is extremely CPU demanding, more so than most games still being released today. You also couldn't play it without a GPU when it was released.

My 2007 rig I had that was a prebuilt, $2,500 new could barely play SC2 upon release - it was bad enough I learned how to build a new CPU from scratch. To think the average household had a computer that could play it is nonsense.

South Korea is also an anomaly in which the culture is entirely dominated by electronics, more so than almost any other in the world.


Back when WC3 was under development they were quite explicit in addressing criticism that their game engine was outdated, saying it was because they didn't want the game only playable on cutting edge machines. That was a long time before SC2 of course, but I never saw anything that contradicted that stance. I guess your experience and mine are opposite ends of the spectrum, because I never had a problem playing the latest Blizzard games on my old laptop (~2008 and raided Cata and played D3 at lanch). I know I installed SC2 on my work laptop when it came out, but I have no idea the specs / age of that machine since I've gotten a new laptop since then (in 2010, so that one must have been older).

In any case, there are plenty of people who play SC2 on laptops, which come premade and retail about the cost of a console system. They don't get the best resolution / ect of course (wasn't LastShadow or one of those guys playing on a PoS laptop for a while?), but it plays, so I don't think it's so unbelievable that 'poor' gamers are limited to consoles only.


If you're talking about "now" then that's fine, but computers are like 3 full generations ahead of where they were when SC2 was released. And it's safe to say that a lot of people probably didn't have the current generation when released, such as myself. Who is going to get into a game 3 years late?

A 2008 laptop would have heavily struggled with SC2 if it were not top of the line when released. Resolution is irrelevant to processing power, although you would absolutely have needed a discrete GPU as well, which are NOT standard whatsoever in laptops. Without both a top of the line processor and some sort of discrete GPU, a 2008 laptop could not have a smooth performance in SC2.

I have heard WoW particularly was very low demanding upon release, but I think that was a heavy outlier amongst games (I have never played WoW) and not as relevant to my point specific to SC2.

You can't really say there were "different experiences." Specs are specs - they are what they are.

I bet this is a misunderstanding caused by what different people think is unplayable and what's not.

WoW was fine if you ran around outside and did quests and played the 5-man team-play part of the game. It breaks in large raids even today if you want 60+ FPS. So it's basically very similar to SC2. If you are fine with 25 FPS everything is okay and you can judge it as something that has "low PC requirement", but you'll be grinding your teeth if you pay a lot for an expensive PC and it still won't run perfect like similarly old games usually do.

Difference to SC2 is that you probably never really need high FPS in WoW as you can still play fine with things running a bit choppy. I played a lot on a crappy Athlon 64 X2 and the game always still reacted on key input while things were a slide show. The game only requires you to press a new key every second or so, so you'll always get enough feedback for what you are doing even if FPS are very low on your screen.


Sure - if you want to be restricted to 1's and not play lategame, an Athlon is OK. But if you want to play custom games, or teams, which is what appealed to a large amount of gamers, it's not going to fly (well battlecraft would have been OK). But then as mentioned, you'd still need a discrete GPU.
Beyonder
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Netherlands15103 Posts
April 16 2014 16:15 GMT
#192
Strange thing is that this is really not all that new, at least not regarding general cognitive decline (i.e., fluid intelligence). So no idea why people over the internet are so shocked. For speed, it is interesting for sure!
Moderator
Mizerr
Profile Joined April 2014
United States26 Posts
April 16 2014 16:19 GMT
#193
oh no, I'll be 25 in 2 months. Guess I'm only getting worse from here on out. But on a serious note, I believe it is the lifestyle change that really effects older gamers. Full time job, serious girlfriend, family, etc. Less time for gaming overall. It's just a matter of practice and putting in the hours and that not happening anymore. I always played sports and played D2 college sports as well and I see a definite decline after college from not putting in the time. I won't be in the same shape as I was training on a college team 4hrs a day, 6 days a week. I think it is older that physical abilities slow down, like early 30s, but that's all up to the individual.
Prev 1 8 9 10 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM916
TKL 326
TaKeTV 309
IndyStarCraft 193
BRAT_OK 100
ZombieGrub49
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 916
TKL 326
IndyStarCraft 193
MaxPax 165
BRAT_OK 100
UpATreeSC 90
ZombieGrub49
JuggernautJason44
Nathanias 24
EmSc Tv 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 691
ggaemo 165
White-Ra 136
firebathero 86
Barracks 60
910 52
Trap 27
Killer 27
Shine 22
yabsab 7
Dota 2
qojqva4783
Counter-Strike
Fnx 784
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8416
crisheroes1946
Liquid`Hasu1552
Trikslyr72
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi4276
summit1g2252
singsing1405
Beastyqt924
ceh9605
shahzam434
B2W.Neo357
C9.Mang0180
ArmadaUGS132
KnowMe128
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream396
Other Games
BasetradeTV221
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 17
EmSc2Tv 17
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 167
• Reevou 3
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 21
• Azhi_Dahaki17
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade941
Other Games
• Shiphtur326
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 43m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.