• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:20
CEST 03:20
KST 10:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8289 users

David Kim answers Balance Questions on Battle.net forums -…

Forum Index > SC2 General
759 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 38 Next All
JIJI_
Profile Joined October 2010
United States123 Posts
February 07 2014 22:39 GMT
#601
Ya I'll admit when they said they were trading the hellbat nerf for the banshee nerf I thought they were just trying to appease people that might have gotten angry. I really hope they were not so clueless as to believe that it would be even remotely an even trade.

Also I feel like it was mostly Zerg and Protoss players complaining about "watching TvT" for the sake of them not having to deal with hellbats - they got their wish I guess. I never thought hellbat drops were that bad in TvT since it was just harass into macro it rarely ever ended the game and banshee opener more or less countered it even without the cloak decrease.
All hail King IdrA!
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-07 22:41:59
February 07 2014 22:41 GMT
#602
On February 08 2014 07:39 JIJI_ wrote:
Ya I'll admit when they said they were trading the hellbat nerf for the banshee nerf I thought they were just trying to appease people that might have gotten angry. I really hope they were not so clueless as to believe that it would be even remotely an even trade.

Also I feel like it was mostly Zerg and Protoss players complaining about "watching TvT" for the sake of them not having to deal with hellbats - they got their wish I guess. I never thought hellbat drops were that bad in TvT since it was just harass into macro it rarely ever ended the game and banshee opener more or less countered it even without the cloak decrease.

The game nearly ALWAYS ended with hellbat drops - seeing games where both Players lost over 100 SCVs and got below the 20s at 10 minutes into the game was not a rare occurence. Hellbats needed fixing in TvT.

HELL - We got as far as people opening with a turret AND a bunker in the mineral line and still losing vs hellbat drops.
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27415 Posts
February 07 2014 22:41 GMT
#603
WM nerf was premature IMO, just like the Queen patch in that it really did look that top Zergs were really figuring out ways to engage optimally anyway.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
vthree
Profile Joined November 2011
Hong Kong8039 Posts
February 07 2014 22:43 GMT
#604
On February 08 2014 07:39 SC2Toastie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 08 2014 07:36 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:57 vthree wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:14 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:01 ffadicted wrote:
On February 08 2014 05:39 Plansix wrote:
If you nerf blink stalker openings and oracle opens to much, you just end up with turtle toss, which no one wants. If Terran needs more options, make that possible through scouting or other routes. Nerfing effective builds is not the way to go. Buffing underused strats is better.


You also don't want a game with too many amazing early game/all-in possibilities. Blink is too strong right now, it needs to be looked at.


No, thanks. Blink research was already nerfed by about 70 seconds (iirc) in HOTS. Reduce the vision of the MSC to 11 (as with all other flyers). That will help with countering blink play. Make TW an upgrade at Core. That will help with blink all-ins.

Continue tweaking PO (by looking at range and casting range).

But, don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play. The game is worse as a result.

Edit/ Sorry, 30 seconds, I think. I'll have to check that.


Don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play? Then why were hellbats nerfed?




From what I remember, it was because TvT had become a Hellbat fest. I was in two minds about that patch (as you may or may not know, I generally dislike most, if not all, patches) but it seemed the right way to go as a once cool match-up (TvT) had become just silly. If they want to return the Hellbat to 2 cargo space, rather than 4 that would be fine with me.

Note also, that I was against the WM nerf. But that was because of all the ZvT complaining. A stronger WM and 4 HB per Medivac seems OK to me. Heck, I'd even be on board with looking at stim timings again (as that is one powerful upgrade). But, you would have to consider the effect of all of this on TvZ too (I am not sure if a big stim buff would not be too much).

Unfortunately, generally speaking Blizzard have been very unwilling to roll back any patch. Realistically speaking I doubt any of these will happen. But, if nerfs to Protoss are to happen. Then, I'd like them to be good and intelligent tweaks rather than massive swings of the nerf hammer. This way Protoss get to still enjoy some of their new found HOTS flexibility while giving some back to Terran too. That way, hopefully, both races are better off in aggregate and Starcraft itself better off as a result.


Nobody has disagreed with the hellbat nerfs - but the amount they nerfed them. It was not a TvT nerf despite whatever they tell you: it was an accross the board nerf to Terran openings.

WM nerf was 'because TvZ is getting stale', another pretty terrible reason. Balance in TvZ was looking really good with the better player usually winning (Unlike now - see any LR threat). The problem was that the same game over and over and over and over got boring so Mines got nerfed.


The weakest justification was the WM nerfs, blizzard wanted more tank play instead of 4M. Then why didn't they nerf mutas so we get more muta ling baneling hydra play?
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-07 22:46:32
February 07 2014 22:44 GMT
#605
On February 08 2014 07:39 SC2Toastie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 08 2014 07:36 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:57 vthree wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:14 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:01 ffadicted wrote:
On February 08 2014 05:39 Plansix wrote:
If you nerf blink stalker openings and oracle opens to much, you just end up with turtle toss, which no one wants. If Terran needs more options, make that possible through scouting or other routes. Nerfing effective builds is not the way to go. Buffing underused strats is better.


You also don't want a game with too many amazing early game/all-in possibilities. Blink is too strong right now, it needs to be looked at.


No, thanks. Blink research was already nerfed by about 70 seconds (iirc) in HOTS. Reduce the vision of the MSC to 11 (as with all other flyers). That will help with countering blink play. Make TW an upgrade at Core. That will help with blink all-ins.

Continue tweaking PO (by looking at range and casting range).

But, don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play. The game is worse as a result.

Edit/ Sorry, 30 seconds, I think. I'll have to check that.


Don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play? Then why were hellbats nerfed?


From what I remember, it was because TvT had become a Hellbat fest. I was in two minds about that patch (as you may or may not know, I generally dislike most, if not all, patches) but it seemed the right way to go as a once cool match-up (TvT) had become just silly. If they want to return the Hellbat to 2 cargo space, rather than 4 that would be fine with me.

Note also, that I was against the WM nerf. But that was because of all the ZvT complaining. A stronger WM and 4 HB per Medivac seems OK to me. Heck, I'd even be on board with looking at stim timings again (as that is one powerful upgrade). But, you would have to consider the effect of all of this on TvZ too (I am not sure if a big stim buff would not be too much).

Unfortunately, generally speaking Blizzard have been very unwilling to roll back any patch. Realistically speaking I doubt any of these will happen. But, if nerfs to Protoss are to happen. Then, I'd like them to be good and intelligent tweaks rather than massive swings of the nerf hammer. This way Protoss get to still enjoy some of their new found HOTS flexibility while giving some back to Terran too. That way, hopefully, both races are better off in aggregate and Starcraft itself better off as a result.


Nobody has disagreed with the hellbat nerfs - but the amount they nerfed them. It was not a TvT nerf despite whatever they tell you: it was an accross the board nerf to Terran openings.

WM nerf was 'because TvZ is getting stale', another pretty terrible reason. Balance in TvZ was looking really good with the better player usually winning (Unlike now - see any LR threat). The problem was that the same game over and over and over and over got boring so Mines got nerfed.


I don't agree with that. That patch came after a whole bunch of rather silly TvT games. The unit itself was OK in TvZ and TvP from what I remember. I see no reason why Blizzard would lie. The nerf may have been over-heavy (I can't say for sure). But this is why, along with the WM nerf, I am generally against patching. Patches tend to cause more trouble than they are worth.
KT best KT ~ 2014
Teejing
Profile Joined January 2009
Germany1360 Posts
February 07 2014 22:44 GMT
#606
I paid 100$ to get early sc2 beta without regrets but i have not bothered buying hots and have completly abandoned sc2 for dota.

Sc2 isnt bad in general but it will never be anything like scbw,and thats coming from someone who only started scbw 1 year before sc2 realease to get ready for sc2. Well the epic TSL helped too to get me hyped for scbw itself ^^.

Not ranting or whining, because the internet has too much of it already,but i think people who still hope that sc2 will become like scbw with patches or another expansion should stop hoping.
The hots expansion was nothing like the broodwar expansion.

I only reached c+ in scbw, but i sure as hell am proud of it. =)
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 07 2014 22:44 GMT
#607
On February 08 2014 07:41 Wombat_NI wrote:
WM nerf was premature IMO, just like the Queen patch in that it really did look that top Zergs were really figuring out ways to engage optimally anyway.

Source: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/10038734466#1
Widow mine splash radius decreased from 1.75 to 1.1

We'd like to push out the Widow Mine a little bit and bump up the Siege Tank so that bio play becomes more interesting. Ultimately, we believe a mix of Widow Mines and Siege Tanks with your bio army will be a lot more fun to watch than just Widow Mines with bio alone.

We know how this ended up. The mines were nerfed in exchange for a negligable Tank buff (Heey, Hellbat <-> Banshee exchange 0.0!?!?) and ended up just being a nerf. Reason: so bio play becomes more interesting.
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 07 2014 22:46 GMT
#608
On February 08 2014 07:44 aZealot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 08 2014 07:39 SC2Toastie wrote:
On February 08 2014 07:36 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:57 vthree wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:14 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:01 ffadicted wrote:
On February 08 2014 05:39 Plansix wrote:
If you nerf blink stalker openings and oracle opens to much, you just end up with turtle toss, which no one wants. If Terran needs more options, make that possible through scouting or other routes. Nerfing effective builds is not the way to go. Buffing underused strats is better.


You also don't want a game with too many amazing early game/all-in possibilities. Blink is too strong right now, it needs to be looked at.


No, thanks. Blink research was already nerfed by about 70 seconds (iirc) in HOTS. Reduce the vision of the MSC to 11 (as with all other flyers). That will help with countering blink play. Make TW an upgrade at Core. That will help with blink all-ins.

Continue tweaking PO (by looking at range and casting range).

But, don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play. The game is worse as a result.

Edit/ Sorry, 30 seconds, I think. I'll have to check that.


Don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play? Then why were hellbats nerfed?


From what I remember, it was because TvT had become a Hellbat fest. I was in two minds about that patch (as you may or may not know, I generally dislike most, if not all, patches) but it seemed the right way to go as a once cool match-up (TvT) had become just silly. If they want to return the Hellbat to 2 cargo space, rather than 4 that would be fine with me.

Note also, that I was against the WM nerf. But that was because of all the ZvT complaining. A stronger WM and 4 HB per Medivac seems OK to me. Heck, I'd even be on board with looking at stim timings again (as that is one powerful upgrade). But, you would have to consider the effect of all of this on TvZ too (I am not sure if a big stim buff would not be too much).

Unfortunately, generally speaking Blizzard have been very unwilling to roll back any patch. Realistically speaking I doubt any of these will happen. But, if nerfs to Protoss are to happen. Then, I'd like them to be good and intelligent tweaks rather than massive swings of the nerf hammer. This way Protoss get to still enjoy some of their new found HOTS flexibility while giving some back to Terran too. That way, hopefully, both races are better off in aggregate and Starcraft itself better off as a result.


Nobody has disagreed with the hellbat nerfs - but the amount they nerfed them. It was not a TvT nerf despite whatever they tell you: it was an accross the board nerf to Terran openings.

WM nerf was 'because TvZ is getting stale', another pretty terrible reason. Balance in TvZ was looking really good with the better player usually winning (Unlike now - see any LR threat). The problem was that the same game over and over and over and over got boring so Mines got nerfed.


I don't agree with that. That patch came after a whole bunch of rather silly TvT games. The unit itself was OK in TvZ and TvP from what I remember. I see no reason why Blizzard would lie. The nerf may have been over-heavy (I can't say for sure). But this is why, along with the WM nerf, I am generally against over patching. They tend to cause more trouble than they are worth.

I don't understand what you are getting at with the first part of your post - isn't that what I wrote?
They either lied and wanted to change TvZ/TvP but didn't want to say so, or they are really stupid...
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27415 Posts
February 07 2014 22:47 GMT
#609
I wish other races got nerfs solely to make them more interesting.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
February 07 2014 22:48 GMT
#610
On February 08 2014 07:46 SC2Toastie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 08 2014 07:44 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 07:39 SC2Toastie wrote:
On February 08 2014 07:36 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:57 vthree wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:14 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:01 ffadicted wrote:
On February 08 2014 05:39 Plansix wrote:
If you nerf blink stalker openings and oracle opens to much, you just end up with turtle toss, which no one wants. If Terran needs more options, make that possible through scouting or other routes. Nerfing effective builds is not the way to go. Buffing underused strats is better.


You also don't want a game with too many amazing early game/all-in possibilities. Blink is too strong right now, it needs to be looked at.


No, thanks. Blink research was already nerfed by about 70 seconds (iirc) in HOTS. Reduce the vision of the MSC to 11 (as with all other flyers). That will help with countering blink play. Make TW an upgrade at Core. That will help with blink all-ins.

Continue tweaking PO (by looking at range and casting range).

But, don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play. The game is worse as a result.

Edit/ Sorry, 30 seconds, I think. I'll have to check that.


Don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play? Then why were hellbats nerfed?


From what I remember, it was because TvT had become a Hellbat fest. I was in two minds about that patch (as you may or may not know, I generally dislike most, if not all, patches) but it seemed the right way to go as a once cool match-up (TvT) had become just silly. If they want to return the Hellbat to 2 cargo space, rather than 4 that would be fine with me.

Note also, that I was against the WM nerf. But that was because of all the ZvT complaining. A stronger WM and 4 HB per Medivac seems OK to me. Heck, I'd even be on board with looking at stim timings again (as that is one powerful upgrade). But, you would have to consider the effect of all of this on TvZ too (I am not sure if a big stim buff would not be too much).

Unfortunately, generally speaking Blizzard have been very unwilling to roll back any patch. Realistically speaking I doubt any of these will happen. But, if nerfs to Protoss are to happen. Then, I'd like them to be good and intelligent tweaks rather than massive swings of the nerf hammer. This way Protoss get to still enjoy some of their new found HOTS flexibility while giving some back to Terran too. That way, hopefully, both races are better off in aggregate and Starcraft itself better off as a result.


Nobody has disagreed with the hellbat nerfs - but the amount they nerfed them. It was not a TvT nerf despite whatever they tell you: it was an accross the board nerf to Terran openings.

WM nerf was 'because TvZ is getting stale', another pretty terrible reason. Balance in TvZ was looking really good with the better player usually winning (Unlike now - see any LR threat). The problem was that the same game over and over and over and over got boring so Mines got nerfed.


I don't agree with that. That patch came after a whole bunch of rather silly TvT games. The unit itself was OK in TvZ and TvP from what I remember. I see no reason why Blizzard would lie. The nerf may have been over-heavy (I can't say for sure). But this is why, along with the WM nerf, I am generally against over patching. They tend to cause more trouble than they are worth.

I don't understand what you are getting at with the first part of your post - isn't that what I wrote?
They either lied and wanted to change TvZ/TvP but didn't want to say so, or they are really stupid...


Oh, maybe we misunderstood each other. I'd say they may have made a mistake (but I'm unsure). I don't believe they were being duplicitous, nor do I think they were being stupid. For me, these are some of the dangers of patching. You can fuck up.
KT best KT ~ 2014
JIJI_
Profile Joined October 2010
United States123 Posts
February 07 2014 22:48 GMT
#611
Thats why I think blizz never really truly is honest with us.

Part of the banshee buff to me was they really just wanted to kill hellbat drops 100% (banshee opener was 1 of the counters - Polt banshee build that he used during hots). I mean surely they don't think the banshee buff for hellbat nerf was anywhere near an even trade. Also bunker in mineral line was never a good counter to hellbat drops imo - better to use banshee or turret + WM / vikings or defensive hellbats of your own.

Either way I think a better nerf would be to remove medivac healing (a change tons of people suggested) - big part is that it would increase their lifespan by a crazy amount against marines early game before stim. This would not have killed the build completely but make it a bit weaker and would have also made the mid-game marauder/hellbat timings blizz was worried about weaker as well without killing them completely. But for some reason blizz wanted to kill the strats 100%.
All hail King IdrA!
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 07 2014 22:48 GMT
#612
On February 08 2014 07:47 Wombat_NI wrote:
I wish other races got nerfs solely to make them more interesting.

Why would you wish nerfs into the game? The more fun stuff gets nerfed, the more stale the game gets...
I don't like nerfs, I prefer reworks and redesigns...
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 07 2014 22:50 GMT
#613
On February 08 2014 07:48 JIJI_ wrote:
Thats why I think blizz never really truly is honest with us.

Part of the banshee buff to me was they really just wanted to kill hellbat drops 100% (banshee opener was 1 of the counters - Polt banshee build that he used during hots). I mean surely they don't think the banshee buff for hellbat nerf was anywhere near an even trade. Also bunker in mineral line was never a good counter to hellbat drops imo - better to use banshee or turret + WM / vikings or defensive hellbats of your own.

Either way I think a better nerf would be to remove medivac healing (a change tons of people suggested) - big part is that it would increase their lifespan by a crazy amount against marines early game before stim. This would not have killed the build completely but make it a bit weaker and would have also made the mid-game marauder/hellbat timings blizz was worried about weaker as well without killing them completely. But for some reason blizz wanted to kill the strats 100%.

They are not truly honest OR they do not understand the game. Sadly, every bit of information we get about their plans, the more I fear it is the second.

There were many options:
Damage to 18 +3/4 vs Light, Healing nerf, ....
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27415 Posts
February 07 2014 22:51 GMT
#614
On February 08 2014 07:48 SC2Toastie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 08 2014 07:47 Wombat_NI wrote:
I wish other races got nerfs solely to make them more interesting.

Why would you wish nerfs into the game? The more fun stuff gets nerfed, the more stale the game gets...
I don't like nerfs, I prefer reworks and redesigns...

I was being facetious. Zergs can run around and get to huge muta flocks and that's apparently not problematic, we know the issues with TvP atm. Meanwhile Biomine was apparently monotonous so gets a bit of a nerf to encourage more tank play, which at least in conjunction with bio is pretty much non-existent given to how strong mutas currently are.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 07 2014 22:51 GMT
#615
On February 08 2014 07:48 aZealot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 08 2014 07:46 SC2Toastie wrote:
On February 08 2014 07:44 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 07:39 SC2Toastie wrote:
On February 08 2014 07:36 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:57 vthree wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:14 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:01 ffadicted wrote:
On February 08 2014 05:39 Plansix wrote:
If you nerf blink stalker openings and oracle opens to much, you just end up with turtle toss, which no one wants. If Terran needs more options, make that possible through scouting or other routes. Nerfing effective builds is not the way to go. Buffing underused strats is better.


You also don't want a game with too many amazing early game/all-in possibilities. Blink is too strong right now, it needs to be looked at.


No, thanks. Blink research was already nerfed by about 70 seconds (iirc) in HOTS. Reduce the vision of the MSC to 11 (as with all other flyers). That will help with countering blink play. Make TW an upgrade at Core. That will help with blink all-ins.

Continue tweaking PO (by looking at range and casting range).

But, don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play. The game is worse as a result.

Edit/ Sorry, 30 seconds, I think. I'll have to check that.


Don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play? Then why were hellbats nerfed?


From what I remember, it was because TvT had become a Hellbat fest. I was in two minds about that patch (as you may or may not know, I generally dislike most, if not all, patches) but it seemed the right way to go as a once cool match-up (TvT) had become just silly. If they want to return the Hellbat to 2 cargo space, rather than 4 that would be fine with me.

Note also, that I was against the WM nerf. But that was because of all the ZvT complaining. A stronger WM and 4 HB per Medivac seems OK to me. Heck, I'd even be on board with looking at stim timings again (as that is one powerful upgrade). But, you would have to consider the effect of all of this on TvZ too (I am not sure if a big stim buff would not be too much).

Unfortunately, generally speaking Blizzard have been very unwilling to roll back any patch. Realistically speaking I doubt any of these will happen. But, if nerfs to Protoss are to happen. Then, I'd like them to be good and intelligent tweaks rather than massive swings of the nerf hammer. This way Protoss get to still enjoy some of their new found HOTS flexibility while giving some back to Terran too. That way, hopefully, both races are better off in aggregate and Starcraft itself better off as a result.


Nobody has disagreed with the hellbat nerfs - but the amount they nerfed them. It was not a TvT nerf despite whatever they tell you: it was an accross the board nerf to Terran openings.

WM nerf was 'because TvZ is getting stale', another pretty terrible reason. Balance in TvZ was looking really good with the better player usually winning (Unlike now - see any LR threat). The problem was that the same game over and over and over and over got boring so Mines got nerfed.


I don't agree with that. That patch came after a whole bunch of rather silly TvT games. The unit itself was OK in TvZ and TvP from what I remember. I see no reason why Blizzard would lie. The nerf may have been over-heavy (I can't say for sure). But this is why, along with the WM nerf, I am generally against over patching. They tend to cause more trouble than they are worth.

I don't understand what you are getting at with the first part of your post - isn't that what I wrote?
They either lied and wanted to change TvZ/TvP but didn't want to say so, or they are really stupid...


Oh, maybe we misunderstood each other. I'd say they may have made a mistake (but I'm unsure). I don't believe they were being duplicitous, nor do I think they were being stupid. For me, these are some of the dangers of patching. You can fuck up.

I think we are arguing about different things, we don't disagree with each other, but we don't write the statements that fit to each other... :-)?
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-07 22:53:20
February 07 2014 22:52 GMT
#616
On February 08 2014 07:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 08 2014 07:48 SC2Toastie wrote:
On February 08 2014 07:47 Wombat_NI wrote:
I wish other races got nerfs solely to make them more interesting.

Why would you wish nerfs into the game? The more fun stuff gets nerfed, the more stale the game gets...
I don't like nerfs, I prefer reworks and redesigns...

I was being facetious. Zergs can run around and get to huge muta flocks and that's apparently not problematic, we know the issues with TvP atm. Meanwhile Biomine was apparently monotonous so gets a bit of a nerf to encourage more tank play, which at least in conjunction with bio is pretty much non-existent given to how strong mutas currently are.

Ye, well, what is there to do about it. Just watch how the RO16 of all WCSes consists of Toss, Zerg, Maru, Taeja, Bomber and maybe 2/3 other Terrans that rape foreigners.. :p Which sadly, is quite likely xD

Tho to be fair, what you wrote is an ongoing pattern in SC2 patching...
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-07 22:54:11
February 07 2014 22:52 GMT
#617
Edit: What the fuck I am responding to a 5-page old post for haha?
Squat
Profile Joined September 2013
Sweden7978 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-07 22:55:42
February 07 2014 22:54 GMT
#618
On February 08 2014 07:41 Wombat_NI wrote:
WM nerf was premature IMO, just like the Queen patch in that it really did look that top Zergs were really figuring out ways to engage optimally anyway.

Win rates were really close to 50/50 before the nerf, and now I think that muta/ling vs bio/mine/thor favours zerg. I do feel the mine was probably too good pre nerf, but the tank "buff" was in no way adequate compensation.

I really miss that from BW, there was tons of OP shit, but it was ok since everyone had it. As soon as something sticks out in SC2 it gets mauled with the nerfhammer and some other unit is given a speed increase for no apparent reason.
"Digital. They have digital. What is digital?" - Donald J Trump
plogamer
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Canada3132 Posts
February 07 2014 23:11 GMT
#619
On February 08 2014 07:44 aZealot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 08 2014 07:39 SC2Toastie wrote:
On February 08 2014 07:36 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:57 vthree wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:14 aZealot wrote:
On February 08 2014 06:01 ffadicted wrote:
On February 08 2014 05:39 Plansix wrote:
If you nerf blink stalker openings and oracle opens to much, you just end up with turtle toss, which no one wants. If Terran needs more options, make that possible through scouting or other routes. Nerfing effective builds is not the way to go. Buffing underused strats is better.


You also don't want a game with too many amazing early game/all-in possibilities. Blink is too strong right now, it needs to be looked at.


No, thanks. Blink research was already nerfed by about 70 seconds (iirc) in HOTS. Reduce the vision of the MSC to 11 (as with all other flyers). That will help with countering blink play. Make TW an upgrade at Core. That will help with blink all-ins.

Continue tweaking PO (by looking at range and casting range).

But, don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play. The game is worse as a result.

Edit/ Sorry, 30 seconds, I think. I'll have to check that.


Don't nerf an option that allows for pressure and good active play? Then why were hellbats nerfed?


From what I remember, it was because TvT had become a Hellbat fest. I was in two minds about that patch (as you may or may not know, I generally dislike most, if not all, patches) but it seemed the right way to go as a once cool match-up (TvT) had become just silly. If they want to return the Hellbat to 2 cargo space, rather than 4 that would be fine with me.

Note also, that I was against the WM nerf. But that was because of all the ZvT complaining. A stronger WM and 4 HB per Medivac seems OK to me. Heck, I'd even be on board with looking at stim timings again (as that is one powerful upgrade). But, you would have to consider the effect of all of this on TvZ too (I am not sure if a big stim buff would not be too much).

Unfortunately, generally speaking Blizzard have been very unwilling to roll back any patch. Realistically speaking I doubt any of these will happen. But, if nerfs to Protoss are to happen. Then, I'd like them to be good and intelligent tweaks rather than massive swings of the nerf hammer. This way Protoss get to still enjoy some of their new found HOTS flexibility while giving some back to Terran too. That way, hopefully, both races are better off in aggregate and Starcraft itself better off as a result.


Nobody has disagreed with the hellbat nerfs - but the amount they nerfed them. It was not a TvT nerf despite whatever they tell you: it was an accross the board nerf to Terran openings.

WM nerf was 'because TvZ is getting stale', another pretty terrible reason. Balance in TvZ was looking really good with the better player usually winning (Unlike now - see any LR threat). The problem was that the same game over and over and over and over got boring so Mines got nerfed.


I don't agree with that. That patch came after a whole bunch of rather silly TvT games. The unit itself was OK in TvZ and TvP from what I remember. I see no reason why Blizzard would lie. The nerf may have been over-heavy (I can't say for sure). But this is why, along with the WM nerf, I am generally against patching. Patches tend to cause more trouble than they are worth.


Bold position to hold (against patching) given the current state of the game.
TW
Profile Joined March 2012
Poland255 Posts
February 07 2014 23:15 GMT
#620
On smaller maps, where the distance between T and Z is not very large like Habitation Station, tanks are used more and more. But tanks will never be used on huge maps like Frost, cause it equals to: push and win or die.

That is why T is strugling using MMMM on bigger maps. Tanks are not viable, and WMs are too weak.

Blizzard must have known it, but still thought tank buff for WM nerf is the equal trade.
However, most of the community were pretty sure it was Not.
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 38 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft434
CranKy Ducklings46
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft434
CosmosSc2 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2100
Artosis 618
910 42
Dota 2
monkeys_forever627
Counter-Strike
taco 154
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox611
Other Games
summit1g8436
JimRising 579
C9.Mang0354
Maynarde147
ViBE136
ArmadaUGS50
Livibee27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1031
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream138
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
9h 40m
Stellar Fest
11h 40m
The PondCast
1d 8h
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
OSC
1d 22h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.