• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:16
CEST 08:16
KST 15:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9723 users

MC goes off on WCS & Polt's Machiavellian plan - Page 23

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 28 Next All
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
April 05 2013 05:44 GMT
#441
Interesting arguments. Personally, I like the idea of regional qualifiers and I think that they should make it mandatory that you have spent x amount of time(several months?) in order to play in the WCS for that region. It's true that the NA and EU regions won't have the same skill level as KR but this could encourage them to work harder if they can get into WCS. WCS could be also a measuring bar between the skills of the different players. I'm just gonna wait and see how things go down first
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
stew_
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada239 Posts
April 05 2013 05:44 GMT
#442
sidenote but liverpool being a "top team" made me lol
자연속에 내가 있다! 운!지!
shadymmj
Profile Joined June 2010
1906 Posts
April 05 2013 06:14 GMT
#443
not bad, MC. gained a bit of a fan here - this guy sure puts his IQ to work!
There is no such thing is "e-sports". There is Brood War, and then there is crap for nerds.
Baum
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1010 Posts
April 05 2013 11:43 GMT
#444
On April 05 2013 05:35 Moa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 05 2013 04:56 ThomasjServo wrote:
I think region locking the qualifiers is the hatchet rather than scalpel solution to this issue. With the stated goal of Blizzard in this being raising SC2's esports profile having Min Chul be the "European Champion," will raise a lot of eyebrows from those who may be tuning in for the first time or more casual viewers.

I would like to and do expect to see Koreans qualifying elsewhere but perhaps a cap on number of seeds for region crossing players is a more middle of the road fix?

Say each region has five open seeds you can apply for which are given out by lottery to ensure fairness. Not one of the five who gets to play on another server you can play on your native server. Doubtful that there would be many takers to play on KR I don't know what bearing this would have on practice or preparation but it seems moderately equitable while still allowing for some lesser known players to remain competitive and work their way up a bit.


It may be a hatchet job but I think the new format is fundamentally flawed. The game is played globally and trying to make it regional is really just cutting out the best players so that some no-name player can get hype behind them. The Koreans shouldn't be punished for putting in more effort and being dominant they should be rewarded.

It is a fundamentally flawed idea to have favoritism built into a tournament's structure.


Right now there is no favoritism in the tournament structure. If Koreans did get more spots this would be favoritism.
I want to be with those who share secret things or else alone.
KelsierSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10443 Posts
April 05 2013 11:50 GMT
#445
I find the phrase

"Incomprehensible Archery Analogy omitted" incredibly funny.
Zerg for Life
xuanzue
Profile Joined October 2010
Colombia1747 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-05 14:40:04
April 05 2013 14:21 GMT
#446
PCG: Is there going to be a points weighting for certain regions and competitions?

MM: It’ll be a flat playing field, and all players will have to earn their slots. But people can compete in whichever region they want. So you’ll probably get some people from Korea opting to play in regions outside of Korea. But each of the leagues will distribute the same number of points and the same monetary prize pool.


basically, I don't see any reason the code b player to compete against code s players, when they can choose foreigners and other code b's to beat
Dominions 4: "Thrones of Ascension".
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 05 2013 14:30 GMT
#447
On April 05 2013 20:43 Baum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 05 2013 05:35 Moa wrote:
On April 05 2013 04:56 ThomasjServo wrote:
I think region locking the qualifiers is the hatchet rather than scalpel solution to this issue. With the stated goal of Blizzard in this being raising SC2's esports profile having Min Chul be the "European Champion," will raise a lot of eyebrows from those who may be tuning in for the first time or more casual viewers.

I would like to and do expect to see Koreans qualifying elsewhere but perhaps a cap on number of seeds for region crossing players is a more middle of the road fix?

Say each region has five open seeds you can apply for which are given out by lottery to ensure fairness. Not one of the five who gets to play on another server you can play on your native server. Doubtful that there would be many takers to play on KR I don't know what bearing this would have on practice or preparation but it seems moderately equitable while still allowing for some lesser known players to remain competitive and work their way up a bit.


It may be a hatchet job but I think the new format is fundamentally flawed. The game is played globally and trying to make it regional is really just cutting out the best players so that some no-name player can get hype behind them. The Koreans shouldn't be punished for putting in more effort and being dominant they should be rewarded.

It is a fundamentally flawed idea to have favoritism built into a tournament's structure.


Right now there is no favoritism in the tournament structure. If Koreans did get more spots this would be favoritism.


The system was always going to have a rough start in Korea, since they have ongoing leagues like GSL. There was no real good way to do it, beyond making seperate leagues from the GSL, which is bad and devalues the events. It sucks for players trying to get into code A, but even code A will have WSC points up for grab. Blizzard can't make everyone happy with the system, but everyone has options.

Also, from last nights SotG, there are reports that GSL will have the largest prize pool(same amount of WCS money from Blizzard, but more from GOM), which makes its the more worthy tournament it should be. I think we will know more in the next few weeks.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
April 05 2013 14:35 GMT
#448
I think people are overestimating the number of Koreans who will play in NA and EU regions. The fact that they would be locked out of GSL and OSL, the only prestigious leagues and what they've dreamed of, will deter them I would think. Of course only time will tell, and we're all just speculating right now, but I just have a feeling they'll stick with their own national and established individual leagues.
howLiN
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Portugal1676 Posts
April 05 2013 14:38 GMT
#449
I thought you could still play in any non WCS tournament, like the MLG/IEM stops, DreamHacks, NASLs, Iron Squids, LoneStar Clashes, for WCS points?
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 05 2013 14:40 GMT
#450
On April 05 2013 23:38 howLiN wrote:
I thought you could still play in any non WCS tournament, like the MLG/IEM stops, DreamHacks, NASLs, Iron Squids, LoneStar Clashes, for WCS points?


Yes, that is fact. It is unclear about the WCS points and if they would be regional, but I would doubt that.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
StarscreamG1
Profile Joined February 2011
Portugal1653 Posts
April 05 2013 14:42 GMT
#451
Too many doubts at this point. Let's wait. But the MC post was important..
Mellon
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden917 Posts
April 05 2013 14:43 GMT
#452
On April 05 2013 23:35 Doodsmack wrote:
I think people are overestimating the number of Koreans who will play in NA and EU regions. The fact that they would be locked out of GSL and OSL, the only prestigious leagues and what they've dreamed of, will deter them I would think. Of course only time will tell, and we're all just speculating right now, but I just have a feeling they'll stick with their own national and established individual leagues.


Doesn't even matter, if they send 3 koreans to each region it would not be a shock if all 3 went through, depending on who they were of course. I just don't see the reasoning for having 5 spots in the 3 major regions if people can chose which region they want to play in? Just have 15 spots instead so people don't have to travel around the world to get a shot. They are just trying to fool the community into believing it will be some sort of a world tournament, when it's just gonna be another mini-gsl.
ragz_gt
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
9172 Posts
April 05 2013 14:43 GMT
#453
On April 05 2013 14:44 stew_ wrote:
sidenote but liverpool being a "top team" made me lol


Yeah that sticks me also... (being following premier league before moving to Boston, where there are ALOT of liverpool hate)
I'm not an otaku, I'm a specialist.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 05 2013 14:47 GMT
#454
On April 05 2013 23:35 Doodsmack wrote:
I think people are overestimating the number of Koreans who will play in NA and EU regions. The fact that they would be locked out of GSL and OSL, the only prestigious leagues and what they've dreamed of, will deter them I would think. Of course only time will tell, and we're all just speculating right now, but I just have a feeling they'll stick with their own national and established individual leagues.


The most likely Koreans to come over and ones that do not qualify for Code A and don’t have Korean teams with Korean sponsors(per Artosis on SotG). Those players are no where near unbeatable by a top level NA player with enough practice and from what CatZ said(more SotG), Root plans to thrown down hard. If anything, those Code B players coming over will be good for the NA players and give them cause to practice like never before. And with constant games and a set GSL-like structure, players are going to be able to bore down to specific match ups.

I am willing to bet in the first few month or so, we will see who practices more in NA very quickly.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Diddywhop
Profile Joined March 2013
United States42 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-05 15:02:31
April 05 2013 15:00 GMT
#455
I mean, its true. I would be thinking the same thing.
llIH
Profile Joined June 2011
Norway2147 Posts
April 05 2013 15:11 GMT
#456
Everyone envy Polt now? :D Funny he is one of the few with an education in his back pocket as well
goiflin
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada1218 Posts
April 05 2013 15:25 GMT
#457
On April 06 2013 00:11 llIH wrote:
Everyone envy Polt now? :D Funny he is one of the few with an education in his back pocket as well


He can see into the future!

But I agree with the notion that many code-b players will attempt to qualify in NA. More than likely they won't bother with EU (and if they do, their latency will be god awful), but foreigners can beat, or at least, certainly COMPETE with code-b koreans. So I'm not so worried from the foreigner point of view... I'm more worried on the korean point of view.

Like MC said, it's a really awful situation to be in, if you're not in code S. I'd be pissed if I was one of those players. My choices would be either exclusion from the first season or two while I try to claw my way into code S, or play on NA and pay my own way out there for the RO16. Considering most korean teams make shit salary (B teamers especially). And that we didn't see nearly as many koreans traveling abroad until tournaments started covering travel fees (IE: Their travel budget must be pretty slim), I don't know if I'd be ready to slap down 2k+ for air fare and hotel fees (from my own pocket) for a CHANCE at winning a tournament.

I hope blizzard gets this stuff figured out for the next year. Having it be separate is so much better in every way.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 05 2013 15:34 GMT
#458
On April 06 2013 00:25 goiflin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 06 2013 00:11 llIH wrote:
Everyone envy Polt now? :D Funny he is one of the few with an education in his back pocket as well


He can see into the future!

But I agree with the notion that many code-b players will attempt to qualify in NA. More than likely they won't bother with EU (and if they do, their latency will be god awful), but foreigners can beat, or at least, certainly COMPETE with code-b koreans. So I'm not so worried from the foreigner point of view... I'm more worried on the korean point of view.

Like MC said, it's a really awful situation to be in, if you're not in code S. I'd be pissed if I was one of those players. My choices would be either exclusion from the first season or two while I try to claw my way into code S, or play on NA and pay my own way out there for the RO16. Considering most korean teams make shit salary (B teamers especially). And that we didn't see nearly as many koreans traveling abroad until tournaments started covering travel fees (IE: Their travel budget must be pretty slim), I don't know if I'd be ready to slap down 2k+ for air fare and hotel fees (from my own pocket) for a CHANCE at winning a tournament.

I hope blizzard gets this stuff figured out for the next year. Having it be separate is so much better in every way.


Blizzard will and there next year will likely have better rules and more notice for players when they can sign up for each region. The main reason this year is so open is that it was announced 5 days before the code A qualifiers. Players need time to make big decisions like that.

Also, the investment that a Korean player would need to compete in the NA is way less than an NA player would need to make to practice in Korea. Then the NA player would need to fly back to compete against Koreans in MLG. Plus, once a player gets to the round of 16 for NA, I am willing to be they can find someone to sponsor the trip to the regional finals.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
howLiN
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Portugal1676 Posts
April 05 2013 15:36 GMT
#459
On April 05 2013 23:40 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 05 2013 23:38 howLiN wrote:
I thought you could still play in any non WCS tournament, like the MLG/IEM stops, DreamHacks, NASLs, Iron Squids, LoneStar Clashes, for WCS points?


Yes, that is fact. It is unclear about the WCS points and if they would be regional, but I would doubt that.


I don't really understand the problem then, because the only thing it was added were two GSL-like tournaments to the NA and the EU scenes. What's the big problem for Koreans then, given that they can still pretty much attend any tournament they want to just like in previous years?
vthree
Profile Joined November 2011
Hong Kong8039 Posts
April 05 2013 15:38 GMT
#460
On April 05 2013 23:35 Doodsmack wrote:
I think people are overestimating the number of Koreans who will play in NA and EU regions. The fact that they would be locked out of GSL and OSL, the only prestigious leagues and what they've dreamed of, will deter them I would think. Of course only time will tell, and we're all just speculating right now, but I just have a feeling they'll stick with their own national and established individual leagues.



GSL and OSL are prestigious because they were by themselves the crowning achievement. But now, they are the 'regular season' for WCS. It is like winning the premier league in England or La Liga in Spain, sure, it is still prestigious but Champions League is THE title. You could argue that WCS Korea was tougher than WCS global. But more people remember PartInG's win more than Creator's.
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 184
StarCraft: Brood War
soO 474
hero 465
BeSt 250
Mind 32
Bale 23
Terrorterran 14
ZergMaN 11
Noble 10
yabsab 9
Icarus 6
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1100
League of Legends
JimRising 659
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King102
Other Games
summit1g9493
ArmadaUGS43
Livibee33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick467
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 10
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH347
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2265
League of Legends
• Rush1365
• Stunt528
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 44m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
4h 44m
Monday Night Weeklies
9h 44m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 17h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.