• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:41
CEST 01:41
KST 08:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9195 users

Minor Tournaments – A Progamer’s Résumé (AA) - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
goswser
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3548 Posts
January 30 2013 21:27 GMT
#21
Most of the weekly cups are gone now . It really was a good source for some income for players, and also good experience. Teams definitely don't pay players more as weekly cups go away though.
say you were born into a jungle indian tribe where food was scarce...would you run around from teepee to teepee stealing meat scraps after a day lazying around doing nothing except warming urself by a fire that you didn't even make yourself? -rekrul
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
January 30 2013 21:29 GMT
#22
On January 31 2013 06:27 goswser wrote:
Most of the weekly cups are gone now . It really was a good source for some income for players, and also good experience. Teams definitely don't pay players more as weekly cups go away though.


Most cups are in EU, as a player-manager, I used to send weekly letters to my players reminding them of upcoming weekly events. Most didn't sign up, but it kept me aware of who were constantly achieving/participating.

All NA cups are gone (or practically) all and a lot of current weekly cups don't advertise on the forums.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
kollin
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom8380 Posts
January 30 2013 21:34 GMT
#23
Now with global play, I feel it's a lot more insignificant all the cups are on EU. While it is a pain for korean players wishing to participate in them because of the absolutely awful latency, for American and European players it's fine.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
January 30 2013 21:39 GMT
#24
I'm really hoping weekly tournaments in SEA get a lot more promotion on TL.
SEA feels like a lost city of Atlantis in STarCraft
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
InsidiA
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada1169 Posts
January 30 2013 21:44 GMT
#25
Love the amount put into this, also generous of you. It's a cool article.
GraphicsInsidiA | StarCraft 2 Manager for Team eLevate | Graphic Designer for Red Bull eSports & HTC | @iamjasonpun
kollin
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom8380 Posts
January 30 2013 21:45 GMT
#26
Yeah when I do research on the SEA scene I always find a lot of tournaments that players such as Moonglade and Pig seem to do well in. If they are purely online, it might not be a bad idea to just move the tournaments to the NA server, it feels like they would get a lot more exposure that way.
StarVe
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany13591 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-30 21:53:04
January 30 2013 21:49 GMT
#27
And to be honest, NA players don't really appreciate weekly cups anyway from my limited experience, the more recent NA ZOTAC Cups have been almost exclusively KR players vs EU players with very few sign-ups, EU cups are always a lot more populated.

There are reasons for the absence of NA weeklies and one of the main ones is probably a lack of demand.

To Torte de Lini, since you already put so much work into this, I'd have liked maybe a statement from an EU team or two as well, might have been a bit different because of the differences in the scenes, I don't know, here it's almost purely NA-focused (and Boss as a retired KR/SEA guy ^^).
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-30 21:51:23
January 30 2013 21:49 GMT
#28
On January 31 2013 06:44 InsidiA wrote:
Love the amount put into this, also generous of you. It's a cool article.


Thanks <3

On January 31 2013 06:49 StarVe wrote:
And to be honest, NA players don't really appreciate weekly cups anyway from my limited experience, the more recent NA ZOTAC Cups have been almost exclusively KR players vs EU players with very few sign-ups, EU cups are always a lot more populated.

There are reasons for the absence of NA weeklies and one of the main ones is probably a lack of demand.


Unfortunately, I have to mimic the same sentiment. A lot of players don't really take advantage of the weekly cups. They may have a good reason + real life, but some are just inherently disinterested.

A lot of weekly cups also take hours in a day, an amount of time some players don't want to divulge (Playhem has a lot of sign-ups, so the brackets are brutal: 2 BO1s and then 2 hours wait for everyone else to catch up).

https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Gofarman
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada648 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-30 22:34:08
January 30 2013 22:14 GMT
#29
On January 31 2013 06:29 Torte de Lini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 31 2013 06:27 goswser wrote:
Most of the weekly cups are gone now . It really was a good source for some income for players, and also good experience. Teams definitely don't pay players more as weekly cups go away though.


Most cups are in EU, as a player-manager, I used to send weekly letters to my players reminding them of upcoming weekly events. Most didn't sign up, but it kept me aware of who were constantly achieving/participating.

All NA cups are gone (or practically) all and a lot of current weekly cups don't advertise on the forums.


Yeah, I worked with a group of guys that wanted to achieve that pro status and I consistently pushed these tourneys on them, the guys that didn't do them have almost all fell off. The couple that took them in stride still have that dream burning even if the skill isn't there yet.

I never really thought about WHY certain players would jump on them and other wouldn't, after some short thought it might just be confidence. The ladder is a different beast and the belief in the match-making system that many players have leads them down a place where they might lose a game or two but they believe that they can always win, they at least have a chance. Tournaments are truly a different beast and even before the whole bo3 theory crafting strategy a player has to believe that they can win. The Ego that player has to have to consider themselves an opponent to the best (not necessarily an equal, but someone at least worthy) seems like a undervalued talent when scouting.

Or maybe I'm just crazy.

I don't really have a conclusion but it got my mind twisting so maybe someone else would too.


EDIT (after reading the above post)- Time is a serious concern for some wanna-be pros and probably a legitimate reason to not do daily or weekly cups; I'm not happy with that as a good reason for most though.

EDIT2- I suppose there are a lot of ways to test this mental strength of a player outside of casual tournaments but I think it would be the simplest and quickest way to ascertain the condition of player in the above regard. Yeah.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
January 30 2013 22:32 GMT
#30
To Torte de Lini, since you already put so much work into this, I'd have liked maybe a statement from an EU team or two as well, might have been a bit different because of the differences in the scenes, I don't know, here it's almost purely NA-focused (and Boss as a retired KR/SEA guy ^^).


everyone I know is mostly from NA with SaSe in KR right now :X
I had a quote from an EU/International team, but the person was not comfortable being quoted.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
StarVe
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany13591 Posts
January 30 2013 22:38 GMT
#31
On January 31 2013 07:32 Torte de Lini wrote:
Show nested quote +
To Torte de Lini, since you already put so much work into this, I'd have liked maybe a statement from an EU team or two as well, might have been a bit different because of the differences in the scenes, I don't know, here it's almost purely NA-focused (and Boss as a retired KR/SEA guy ^^).


everyone I know is mostly from NA with SaSe in KR right now :X
I had a quote from an EU/International team, but the person was not comfortable being quoted.

Yeah, I assumed so, since you're from NA your connections should be mostly on NA. I was just a bit curious whether there were some differences in how teams from various continents view the scene, no big deal.
Kaitokid
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Germany1327 Posts
January 30 2013 22:39 GMT
#32
the European weekly cups get a lot of attention, both from players and viewers.
Kaitokid
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Germany1327 Posts
January 30 2013 22:40 GMT
#33
On January 31 2013 07:38 StarVe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 31 2013 07:32 Torte de Lini wrote:
To Torte de Lini, since you already put so much work into this, I'd have liked maybe a statement from an EU team or two as well, might have been a bit different because of the differences in the scenes, I don't know, here it's almost purely NA-focused (and Boss as a retired KR/SEA guy ^^).


everyone I know is mostly from NA with SaSe in KR right now :X
I had a quote from an EU/International team, but the person was not comfortable being quoted.

Yeah, I assumed so, since you're from NA your connections should be mostly on NA. I was just a bit curious whether there were some differences in how teams from various continents view the scene, no big deal.


pretty sure the big name European teams dont care about them either. its the smaller teams with talented/good but unknown players that care about them a lot.
DashedHopes
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada414 Posts
January 30 2013 22:45 GMT
#34
Fxopen invitational going on right now, is this a big tournament or small tournament? Just wondering
kollin
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom8380 Posts
January 30 2013 22:48 GMT
#35
Pretty big tournament iirc.
Emuking
Profile Joined June 2012
United States144 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-30 22:59:13
January 30 2013 22:58 GMT
#36
Ex-FXOpen, Josh Dentrinos:
“I care about skill. Look at it this way: I predict things for a living, so I use those skills to predict who will be good in the future. Past results do not represent future results”


Is it me or does quote sound incredibly stupid?
When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you'll be successful.
Unfortunate
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada132 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-30 23:05:53
January 30 2013 23:03 GMT
#37
On January 31 2013 06:49 Torte de Lini wrote:

A lot of weekly cups also take hours in a day, an amount of time some players don't want to divulge (Playhem has a lot of sign-ups, so the brackets are brutal: 2 BO1s and then 2 hours wait for everyone else to catch up).



I disagree with the time investment, but hey, I wouldn't know anything =P.

On a serious tone the general daily lasted between 3-4 hours, and the prize on Mon-Fri was 45$ for first. (11.25$/hr at a 4 hour tournament, more than min wage in the US iirc).

The only time we ever waited 2 hours for something is attributed to one epic of a series, (Revival v Everize).

I would say the time investment for players is well worth it if they know they can win consistently, look at Hyun, Snute, Revival, Violet, etc. They consistently made bank doing it and got great practice (I've been told from several players that they enjoyed the practice they got from doing the dailies).

I liked the article a lot. Hope to see some more =)

Edit: The first few rounds usually you'd get Hyun vs someone who stood no chance, but every time someone lost that was in bronze or silver to a pro I always was told by the individual they love playing just to have the chance to play with their favourite player. That's what develops love for a player and storyline in my opinion. Interacting with fans by playing for money and getting a warm up, sounds like one of the best win-wins ever.
Manager, Head Admin of Sc2 for Playhem
StarVe
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany13591 Posts
January 30 2013 23:38 GMT
#38
On January 31 2013 07:58 Emuking wrote:
Ex-FXOpen, Josh Dentrinos:
“I care about skill. Look at it this way: I predict things for a living, so I use those skills to predict who will be good in the future. Past results do not represent future results”


Is it me or does quote sound incredibly stupid?

It's saying something without saying anything.
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
January 31 2013 00:07 GMT
#39
Great topic. Fittingly I watched go4sc2 for the first time in months today... I miss watching these tournaments all the time

I'm wonder what role (if any) viewership has played? For me there big thing that's lowered how much I watch the smaller tournaments is the disconnect from viewers. It comes from all aspects; Players not wanting observers/casters, downtime (especially for casters), and finally a lack of (English) casters (in EU). + Show Spoiler +
Unrelated, but I also got turned off by the lack of (good) terran players...
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-31 00:23:15
January 31 2013 00:20 GMT
#40
On January 31 2013 08:03 Unfortunate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 31 2013 06:49 Torte de Lini wrote:

A lot of weekly cups also take hours in a day, an amount of time some players don't want to divulge (Playhem has a lot of sign-ups, so the brackets are brutal: 2 BO1s and then 2 hours wait for everyone else to catch up).



I disagree with the time investment, but hey, I wouldn't know anything =P.

On a serious tone the general daily lasted between 3-4 hours, and the prize on Mon-Fri was 45$ for first. (11.25$/hr at a 4 hour tournament, more than min wage in the US iirc).

The only time we ever waited 2 hours for something is attributed to one epic of a series, (Revival v Everize).

I would say the time investment for players is well worth it if they know they can win consistently, look at Hyun, Snute, Revival, Violet, etc. They consistently made bank doing it and got great practice (I've been told from several players that they enjoyed the practice they got from doing the dailies).

I liked the article a lot. Hope to see some more =)

Edit: The first few rounds usually you'd get Hyun vs someone who stood no chance, but every time someone lost that was in bronze or silver to a pro I always was told by the individual they love playing just to have the chance to play with their favourite player. That's what develops love for a player and storyline in my opinion. Interacting with fans by playing for money and getting a warm up, sounds like one of the best win-wins ever.


Ha, I would too sometimes, but it all varies on the person.

Thanks ^^

On January 31 2013 07:58 Emuking wrote:
Ex-FXOpen, Josh Dentrinos:
“I care about skill. Look at it this way: I predict things for a living, so I use those skills to predict who will be good in the future. Past results do not represent future results”


Is it me or does quote sound incredibly stupid?


It's definitely different from what others told me. I don't think it was stupid, more brief for the sake of the article's relevance.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft457
ViBE115
Nina 114
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13836
firebathero 113
Hyuk 52
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm163
febbydoto92
League of Legends
Doublelift4652
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King85
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5215
Other Games
summit1g8584
FrodaN2422
JimRising 451
KnowMe211
ArmadaUGS109
Trikslyr25
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1169
BasetradeTV172
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream104
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 112
• musti20045 30
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 19m
INu's Battles
12h 19m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
15h 19m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 19m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 19m
Replay Cast
23h 19m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 10h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 16h
Replay Cast
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.