• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:20
CEST 00:20
KST 07:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)16Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9109 users

Put down the pitchforks, or lower them, at least. - Page 28

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 35 Next All
viOLetFanClub
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Korea (South)390 Posts
February 14 2012 20:16 GMT
#541
I think for $20, Sundance should follow every customer on Twitter.
Roynalf
Profile Joined August 2011
Finland886 Posts
February 14 2012 20:16 GMT
#542
On February 15 2012 04:43 Boblhead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 04:40 Roynalf wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:29 Boblhead wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:23 Zeetox wrote:
Let me see, I have 20$ to spend, and a decision: 20 hours of MLG Arena or full GSL Season + a few bears. Totally not getting the MLG pass, especially if I have free Assembly stream at the same time If they made it 5$, I would consider getting it, and I think that it is a reasonable price, if they are also getting not too low ad revenue.

were can you get bears for under $20?


Sundance is getting too fucking greedy, by expecting people to pay a ridiculous price. Since he decides to compare it to UFC were you pay $40 for 1 night, but does he realize that even with basic cable Spike tv does all the pre fights in HD, and then after that the main even is required for ppv. Now if it was this way and they broadcasted a free HQ (Which every company should do) like all the way up to at least semi finals then have you pay $5 for the semi-finals and finals they would instantly get probably anywhere from 15-20k ppl (Guesstimating) would probably buy it. But comparing this shit to UFC is ridiculous. Saying this is the way of western esports is a joke.


Well in Finland you get few bears with 20 euros http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karhu


clearly you didn't get the joke....


Clealy I did get the joke. Karhu finnish word for bear also a beer mark so in Finland there is bear beer.
(V) (;,,;) (V) Woopwoopwoopwoop
m4inbrain
Profile Joined November 2011
1505 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 20:19:39
February 14 2012 20:19 GMT
#543
On February 15 2012 05:15 Gentso wrote:
This thread to me just looks like a way of justifying PPV's with a lower cost. I don't like the idea of PPV period, and I feel like this community will agree to anything as long as a nice person writes a long post with an apologetic theme to it.


What makes you think that? Im old enough to make my own choices (will be 30 this month.. ) - and the idea of PPV is not a bad idea in general. But you have to be realistic. 20 bucks? Never. Ever. Its a ripoff par excellence. Especially considering that you "could" pay HSC4 as well. 6 Dollars (well, 5€, but should be around 6$ somewhere).

Thats reasonable. I can justify that. So its not that i agree because a "nice" person said something (who the fuck, i dont even know the "person" which wrote the initial posting - never saw his name before), its because i think i can pay for stuff, if the price is equal to what i think its worth. MLG is not (20$).

NoobSkills
Profile Joined August 2009
United States1603 Posts
February 14 2012 20:21 GMT
#544
On February 15 2012 04:49 Smackzilla wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 04:42 Trizz wrote:
PPV is a HORRIBLE idea.
Not everyone can afford spending money on SC2 events.
They keep talking about wanting to make eSports grow, you'll only lose people putting up PPV things.


Tournaments can't afford to lose money on sc2 either.

Its expensive to provide a venue, fly in, and provide accommodations to all the top sc2 talent from around the world. What other tournament is footing the cash to make something like this happen? GSL sure isn't. If you want to see a truly international cast of the best players, no one comes close to this MLG arena and no one is providing the support to players and teams to make it happen.


You assume they lose money just because they claim they do. MLG been around a long time and keeps losing money. How the fuck are they still around then??? What I am getting at is why is this a buisness if there is never any profit made? When they prove they need the money then I will believe they need the money. Until then I call bullshit. Then on top of that 2009 MLG had 50 million in revenue. If they're losing money while pulling in 50 million they're doing something wrong and deserve to fail. Then with a poor economy they say hey instead of holding our normal tournament the cheap way lets find a way to organize a tournament that costs a fuck ton of money for us to pull off. Meanwhile alienating our fans and sponsors at the same time.

I don't always come up with a shitty buisness model, but when I do it is a MLG event.
Ricemagical
Profile Joined November 2010
270 Posts
February 14 2012 20:25 GMT
#545
On February 15 2012 05:19 m4inbrain wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 05:15 Gentso wrote:
This thread to me just looks like a way of justifying PPV's with a lower cost. I don't like the idea of PPV period, and I feel like this community will agree to anything as long as a nice person writes a long post with an apologetic theme to it.


What makes you think that? Im old enough to make my own choices (will be 30 this month.. ) - and the idea of PPV is not a bad idea in general. But you have to be realistic. 20 bucks? Never. Ever. Its a ripoff par excellence. Especially considering that you "could" pay HSC4 as well. 6 Dollars (well, 5€, but should be around 6$ somewhere).

Thats reasonable. I can justify that. So its not that i agree because a "nice" person said something (who the fuck, i dont even know the "person" which wrote the initial posting - never saw his name before), its because i think i can pay for stuff, if the price is equal to what i think its worth. MLG is not (20$).


I think the concern most people have with ppv is that the esports industry has always been able to sustain itself on freemium, and to state that their losing money when they're getting record viewers seems absolutely absurd. And if this model does prove to be viable for mlg then other tournaments might follow suit to a point in which people would have to decide which tournaments to watch or perhaps even not be able to watch at all, reducing the esports community as a whole, even if the esports tournaments themselves gain more money.
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
February 14 2012 20:26 GMT
#546
I agree that organizations need to become less reliant on sponsorships and other outside sources of revenue. I wonder why more teams do not sell team shirts, similar to the way sports teams sell jerseys. I would definitely spend money on team apparel of my favorite teams.
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
SupLilSon
Profile Joined October 2011
Malaysia4123 Posts
February 14 2012 20:27 GMT
#547
On February 15 2012 05:21 NoobSkills wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 04:49 Smackzilla wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:42 Trizz wrote:
PPV is a HORRIBLE idea.
Not everyone can afford spending money on SC2 events.
They keep talking about wanting to make eSports grow, you'll only lose people putting up PPV things.


Tournaments can't afford to lose money on sc2 either.

Its expensive to provide a venue, fly in, and provide accommodations to all the top sc2 talent from around the world. What other tournament is footing the cash to make something like this happen? GSL sure isn't. If you want to see a truly international cast of the best players, no one comes close to this MLG arena and no one is providing the support to players and teams to make it happen.


You assume they lose money just because they claim they do. MLG been around a long time and keeps losing money. How the fuck are they still around then??? What I am getting at is why is this a buisness if there is never any profit made? When they prove they need the money then I will believe they need the money. Until then I call bullshit. Then on top of that 2009 MLG had 50 million in revenue. If they're losing money while pulling in 50 million they're doing something wrong and deserve to fail. Then with a poor economy they say hey instead of holding our normal tournament the cheap way lets find a way to organize a tournament that costs a fuck ton of money for us to pull off. Meanwhile alienating our fans and sponsors at the same time.

I don't always come up with a shitty buisness model, but when I do it is a MLG event.


Add in that MLG is offering less content and competition for a price much higher than their competitors and that's their business model that they want us to believe is the future of NA Esports. :\ That's what I can't stand. GSL offered AOL for 5 dollars... I bought that, in a heartbeat.
FlukyS
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Ireland485 Posts
February 14 2012 20:30 GMT
#548
On February 15 2012 05:01 hibbleton wrote:
MLG is not competing against GSL. Totally irrelevant.

For example: McDonalds charges $3.29 for a cheeseburger + fries (I have no idea what they actually charge) and a restaurant charges $12.99 for a cheeseburger + fries. These price points don't matter because they're not competing with each other.


Well they are now comparable on price if you take the 20 dollars as a price point for the rest of the year it will be like 100 dollars for the year to watch MLG, I paid 70 dollars for my GSL light subsciption (I dont mind the ads and I dont really see much value in the rest of the services). Like im just going to put this out there that I dont think MLG is worth 30 dollars more than GSL for a year.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
February 14 2012 20:31 GMT
#549
On February 15 2012 05:11 hibbleton wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 05:05 Ricemagical wrote:
On February 15 2012 05:01 hibbleton wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:53 FlukyS wrote:
The truth is for a weekend of play for $20 its way too high like look
at GSL.

MLG is not competing against GSL. Totally irrelevant.

For example: McDonalds charges $3.29 for a cheeseburger + fries (I
have no idea what they actually charge) and a restaurant charges
$12.99 for a cheeseburger + fries. These price points don't matter
because they're not competing with each other.

They might not be directly competing, but the end product is
essentially the same. Both are serving burgers/fries while both gsl
and mlg are serving high level starcraft 2 matches. If you can't get
that thought through your head then i just dont know what to
say.

Maybe my analogy wasn't the best but the fact remains it doesn't
matter what the GSL charges for their high level StarCraft 2 matches.
MLG is charging $20 for theirs and it's up to you if you want to pay
for it or not.

For what it's worth, I have a GSL yearly subscription and I'll be
buying the MLG Winter Arena PPV.

The analogy is the problem because, presumably, there is a limit to how many cheese burgers you can eat. It's more comparable to the price of admission between a professional and collegiate sports game. For those who decide "I will only spend __ dollars this year on basketball", GSL is a better value purely for number of games (there's other issues which I won't get into here.) For someone who says "I fucking love basketball", they're more likely to go to both games, as long as the times don't overlap.

So it's a mix, depending on the market. I like watching good SC2 but I've got a fairly low budget for it, and it's lower on my list than it used to be. That said, I've usually preferred the MLG experience, commercials and all, to the GSL one and I don't particularly trust GOM with my information anymore. I also like Sundance and I think he usually does do right by the fans. I'm supporting MLG more than I'm supporting ESPORTS.

That said, MLG should absolutely lower costs for future events. Flying so many players and hosting a large event in NYC is obviously a huge burden. TSL's model may not be ideal for what they're trying to achieve, but there's a lot of middle ground there. On top of that, 4 streams is simply too much. It's too much for a fan to follow, it's a lot of extra bandwidth and it's a lot of extra casters. Each subsequent big name caster (the expensive ones) after Day9 has less and less draw, so you're losing value. Finally, I think a discount for Gold members should've been a no-brainer.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
m4inbrain
Profile Joined November 2011
1505 Posts
February 14 2012 20:33 GMT
#550
On February 15 2012 05:25 Ricemagical wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 05:19 m4inbrain wrote:
On February 15 2012 05:15 Gentso wrote:
This thread to me just looks like a way of justifying PPV's with a lower cost. I don't like the idea of PPV period, and I feel like this community will agree to anything as long as a nice person writes a long post with an apologetic theme to it.


What makes you think that? Im old enough to make my own choices (will be 30 this month.. ) - and the idea of PPV is not a bad idea in general. But you have to be realistic. 20 bucks? Never. Ever. Its a ripoff par excellence. Especially considering that you "could" pay HSC4 as well. 6 Dollars (well, 5€, but should be around 6$ somewhere).

Thats reasonable. I can justify that. So its not that i agree because a "nice" person said something (who the fuck, i dont even know the "person" which wrote the initial posting - never saw his name before), its because i think i can pay for stuff, if the price is equal to what i think its worth. MLG is not (20$).


I think the concern most people have with ppv is that the esports industry has always been able to sustain itself on freemium, and to state that their losing money when they're getting record viewers seems absolutely absurd. And if this model does prove to be viable for mlg then other tournaments might follow suit to a point in which people would have to decide which tournaments to watch or perhaps even not be able to watch at all, reducing the esports community as a whole, even if the esports tournaments themselves gain more money.


I was not defending MLG or anything, quite the opposite. In the other thread i already wrote that i dont believe any of the BS MLG dishes out about losing money. They certainly dont (otherwise they would be gone).

Then a statement from twitter like this:

"Sundance DiGiovanni @MLGSundance
@fspikec guy who priced an created Gold did bad math and built in too much. Trying to move beyond it."

And you get even more the impression that someone is trying to f you over.

And well.. Its not a bad thing to decide which tournament you want to watch, as long as there is the HSC. ;P
SirScoots
Profile Joined December 2010
United States138 Posts
February 14 2012 20:33 GMT
#551
On February 15 2012 05:21 NoobSkills wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 04:49 Smackzilla wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:42 Trizz wrote:
PPV is a HORRIBLE idea.
Not everyone can afford spending money on SC2 events.
They keep talking about wanting to make eSports grow, you'll only lose people putting up PPV things.


Tournaments can't afford to lose money on sc2 either.

Its expensive to provide a venue, fly in, and provide accommodations to all the top sc2 talent from around the world. What other tournament is footing the cash to make something like this happen? GSL sure isn't. If you want to see a truly international cast of the best players, no one comes close to this MLG arena and no one is providing the support to players and teams to make it happen.


You assume they lose money just because they claim they do. MLG been around a long time and keeps losing money. How the fuck are they still around then??? What I am getting at is why is this a buisness if there is never any profit made? When they prove they need the money then I will believe they need the money. Until then I call bullshit. Then on top of that 2009 MLG had 50 million in revenue. If they're losing money while pulling in 50 million they're doing something wrong and deserve to fail. Then with a poor economy they say hey instead of holding our normal tournament the cheap way lets find a way to organize a tournament that costs a fuck ton of money for us to pull off. Meanwhile alienating our fans and sponsors at the same time.

I don't always come up with a shitty buisness model, but when I do it is a MLG event.


You just called receiving venture capital as revenue...quite the opposite of revenue it is actually.
OuchyDathurts
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4588 Posts
February 14 2012 20:35 GMT
#552
On February 15 2012 05:33 SirScoots wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 05:21 NoobSkills wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:49 Smackzilla wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:42 Trizz wrote:
PPV is a HORRIBLE idea.
Not everyone can afford spending money on SC2 events.
They keep talking about wanting to make eSports grow, you'll only lose people putting up PPV things.


Tournaments can't afford to lose money on sc2 either.

Its expensive to provide a venue, fly in, and provide accommodations to all the top sc2 talent from around the world. What other tournament is footing the cash to make something like this happen? GSL sure isn't. If you want to see a truly international cast of the best players, no one comes close to this MLG arena and no one is providing the support to players and teams to make it happen.


You assume they lose money just because they claim they do. MLG been around a long time and keeps losing money. How the fuck are they still around then??? What I am getting at is why is this a buisness if there is never any profit made? When they prove they need the money then I will believe they need the money. Until then I call bullshit. Then on top of that 2009 MLG had 50 million in revenue. If they're losing money while pulling in 50 million they're doing something wrong and deserve to fail. Then with a poor economy they say hey instead of holding our normal tournament the cheap way lets find a way to organize a tournament that costs a fuck ton of money for us to pull off. Meanwhile alienating our fans and sponsors at the same time.

I don't always come up with a shitty buisness model, but when I do it is a MLG event.


You just called receiving venture capital as revenue...quite the opposite of revenue it is actually.


Scoots just go yoda on us? =)
LiquidDota Staff
quantumslip
Profile Joined May 2010
United States188 Posts
February 14 2012 20:40 GMT
#553
On February 15 2012 05:33 SirScoots wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 05:21 NoobSkills wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:49 Smackzilla wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:42 Trizz wrote:
PPV is a HORRIBLE idea.
Not everyone can afford spending money on SC2 events.
They keep talking about wanting to make eSports grow, you'll only lose people putting up PPV things.


Tournaments can't afford to lose money on sc2 either.

Its expensive to provide a venue, fly in, and provide accommodations to all the top sc2 talent from around the world. What other tournament is footing the cash to make something like this happen? GSL sure isn't. If you want to see a truly international cast of the best players, no one comes close to this MLG arena and no one is providing the support to players and teams to make it happen.


You assume they lose money just because they claim they do. MLG been around a long time and keeps losing money. How the fuck are they still around then??? What I am getting at is why is this a buisness if there is never any profit made? When they prove they need the money then I will believe they need the money. Until then I call bullshit. Then on top of that 2009 MLG had 50 million in revenue. If they're losing money while pulling in 50 million they're doing something wrong and deserve to fail. Then with a poor economy they say hey instead of holding our normal tournament the cheap way lets find a way to organize a tournament that costs a fuck ton of money for us to pull off. Meanwhile alienating our fans and sponsors at the same time.

I don't always come up with a shitty buisness model, but when I do it is a MLG event.


You just called receiving venture capital as revenue...quite the opposite of revenue it is actually.


No actually MLG said they projected 50 million in revenue... whethere they actually did is another matter. (2009 was a sucky year for the economy). See: http://www.fnatic.com/scene/6582/mlg-50-million-in-revenue-this-year.html
rawr!
hoby2000
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States918 Posts
February 14 2012 20:42 GMT
#554
I have voted incorrectly.... fuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!


I meant to vote that I would pay $20, but if they brought it down to $10, i would still buy it. If there's a way to change my vote or revoke it so i can revote, that would be sweet. Thanks!
A lesson without pain is meaningless for nothing can be gained without giving something in return.
SirScoots
Profile Joined December 2010
United States138 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 20:47:14
February 14 2012 20:46 GMT
#555
Sorry, I was too busy laughing that he just called 50mil in VC actual revenue and I could not think straight as I typed!
Thombur
Profile Joined January 2012
95 Posts
February 14 2012 20:47 GMT
#556
Btw, I would encourage people NOT to pay MORE THAN YOU THINK ITS WORTH "just to support esports".

Because the effect will be the opposite. If they make just enough money the PPV idea will keep on rolling and spreading and then your 20$ to support esports will turn into you always having to pay more than you really thought it was worth.
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
February 14 2012 20:47 GMT
#557
On February 15 2012 05:27 SupLilSon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 05:21 NoobSkills wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:49 Smackzilla wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:42 Trizz wrote:
PPV is a HORRIBLE idea.
Not everyone can afford spending money on SC2 events.
They keep talking about wanting to make eSports grow, you'll only lose people putting up PPV things.


Tournaments can't afford to lose money on sc2 either.

Its expensive to provide a venue, fly in, and provide accommodations to all the top sc2 talent from around the world. What other tournament is footing the cash to make something like this happen? GSL sure isn't. If you want to see a truly international cast of the best players, no one comes close to this MLG arena and no one is providing the support to players and teams to make it happen.


You assume they lose money just because they claim they do. MLG been around a long time and keeps losing money. How the fuck are they still around then??? What I am getting at is why is this a buisness if there is never any profit made? When they prove they need the money then I will believe they need the money. Until then I call bullshit. Then on top of that 2009 MLG had 50 million in revenue. If they're losing money while pulling in 50 million they're doing something wrong and deserve to fail. Then with a poor economy they say hey instead of holding our normal tournament the cheap way lets find a way to organize a tournament that costs a fuck ton of money for us to pull off. Meanwhile alienating our fans and sponsors at the same time.

I don't always come up with a shitty buisness model, but when I do it is a MLG event.


Add in that MLG is offering less content and competition for a price much higher than their competitors and that's their business model that they want us to believe is the future of NA Esports. :\ That's what I can't stand. GSL offered AOL for 5 dollars... I bought that, in a heartbeat.

I keep hearing this, and it's so blatantly wrong it hurts.

Last year: 6 Pro-circuit events with shitty seeding.

This year: 4 Pro-circuit events with better seeding, Arena qualifiers (free), 7 Arenas (free one week after they air).

By my count, that is more, not less.
Timerly
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany511 Posts
February 14 2012 20:49 GMT
#558
On February 15 2012 05:33 m4inbrain wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 05:25 Ricemagical wrote:
On February 15 2012 05:19 m4inbrain wrote:
On February 15 2012 05:15 Gentso wrote:
This thread to me just looks like a way of justifying PPV's with a lower cost. I don't like the idea of PPV period, and I feel like this community will agree to anything as long as a nice person writes a long post with an apologetic theme to it.


What makes you think that? Im old enough to make my own choices (will be 30 this month.. ) - and the idea of PPV is not a bad idea in general. But you have to be realistic. 20 bucks? Never. Ever. Its a ripoff par excellence. Especially considering that you "could" pay HSC4 as well. 6 Dollars (well, 5€, but should be around 6$ somewhere).

Thats reasonable. I can justify that. So its not that i agree because a "nice" person said something (who the fuck, i dont even know the "person" which wrote the initial posting - never saw his name before), its because i think i can pay for stuff, if the price is equal to what i think its worth. MLG is not (20$).


I think the concern most people have with ppv is that the esports industry has always been able to sustain itself on freemium, and to state that their losing money when they're getting record viewers seems absolutely absurd. And if this model does prove to be viable for mlg then other tournaments might follow suit to a point in which people would have to decide which tournaments to watch or perhaps even not be able to watch at all, reducing the esports community as a whole, even if the esports tournaments themselves gain more money.


I was not defending MLG or anything, quite the opposite. In the other thread i already wrote that i dont believe any of the BS MLG dishes out about losing money. They certainly dont (otherwise they would be gone).

Then a statement from twitter like this:

"Sundance DiGiovanni @MLGSundance
@fspikec guy who priced an created Gold did bad math and built in too much. Trying to move beyond it."

And you get even more the impression that someone is trying to f you over.

And well.. Its not a bad thing to decide which tournament you want to watch, as long as there is the HSC. ;P


Reading this sounds like "we fucked up so we need more money from you guys to keep going". Really? I mean kudos for being open about this kind of thing (if that's correct) but that's really not the point here. You can't just say "we fuck you over because we initially fucked ourselves over by accident". If a business makes a mistake it has to live with the consequences. They tried to put out a new product to make some profits but they chose to create it with far too high costs while not keeping their existing customers happy. I doubt 20$ is the optimal price point revenue wise and I doubt running it in NYC when you don't even have a live audience is the best way to do it. It will hopefully run smoothly and you'll need a lot less staff to run it but honestly, who cares for three days of games straight? Nobody watches all of that. You can't even argue you'd get 20h of entertainment for your 20$ because only a fraction of the consumers will watch that much. We have other stuff to do, guys...and paying 20$ for having the stream on maybe 9h overall (and that's optimistic for many) seems less and less appealing for somebody who already pays for gold especially. Could have simply put a bit extra on the gold price and then wait for it to smooth out. If you're working on a super thin line cash flow wise you may be overspending...
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
February 14 2012 20:51 GMT
#559
On February 15 2012 05:47 babylon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 05:27 SupLilSon wrote:
On February 15 2012 05:21 NoobSkills wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:49 Smackzilla wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:42 Trizz wrote:
PPV is a HORRIBLE idea.
Not everyone can afford spending money on SC2 events.
They keep talking about wanting to make eSports grow, you'll only lose people putting up PPV things.


Tournaments can't afford to lose money on sc2 either.

Its expensive to provide a venue, fly in, and provide accommodations to all the top sc2 talent from around the world. What other tournament is footing the cash to make something like this happen? GSL sure isn't. If you want to see a truly international cast of the best players, no one comes close to this MLG arena and no one is providing the support to players and teams to make it happen.


You assume they lose money just because they claim they do. MLG been around a long time and keeps losing money. How the fuck are they still around then??? What I am getting at is why is this a buisness if there is never any profit made? When they prove they need the money then I will believe they need the money. Until then I call bullshit. Then on top of that 2009 MLG had 50 million in revenue. If they're losing money while pulling in 50 million they're doing something wrong and deserve to fail. Then with a poor economy they say hey instead of holding our normal tournament the cheap way lets find a way to organize a tournament that costs a fuck ton of money for us to pull off. Meanwhile alienating our fans and sponsors at the same time.

I don't always come up with a shitty buisness model, but when I do it is a MLG event.


Add in that MLG is offering less content and competition for a price much higher than their competitors and that's their business model that they want us to believe is the future of NA Esports. :\ That's what I can't stand. GSL offered AOL for 5 dollars... I bought that, in a heartbeat.

I keep hearing this, and it's so blatantly wrong it hurts.

Last year: 6 Pro-circuit events with shitty seeding.

This year: 4 Pro-circuit events with better seeding, Arena qualifiers (free), 7 Arenas (free one week after they air).

By my count, that is more, not less.


Wait, where did you get the 7 Arenas from? I thought there were only 4, one for each Championship. The way I see it, in terms of major events, we go from 6 last year to 8 this year, but 4 of which are PPV, which means that 4 should be available to general viewership.
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
Adreme
Profile Joined June 2011
United States5574 Posts
February 14 2012 20:53 GMT
#560
On February 15 2012 05:51 Bagration wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 05:47 babylon wrote:
On February 15 2012 05:27 SupLilSon wrote:
On February 15 2012 05:21 NoobSkills wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:49 Smackzilla wrote:
On February 15 2012 04:42 Trizz wrote:
PPV is a HORRIBLE idea.
Not everyone can afford spending money on SC2 events.
They keep talking about wanting to make eSports grow, you'll only lose people putting up PPV things.


Tournaments can't afford to lose money on sc2 either.

Its expensive to provide a venue, fly in, and provide accommodations to all the top sc2 talent from around the world. What other tournament is footing the cash to make something like this happen? GSL sure isn't. If you want to see a truly international cast of the best players, no one comes close to this MLG arena and no one is providing the support to players and teams to make it happen.


You assume they lose money just because they claim they do. MLG been around a long time and keeps losing money. How the fuck are they still around then??? What I am getting at is why is this a buisness if there is never any profit made? When they prove they need the money then I will believe they need the money. Until then I call bullshit. Then on top of that 2009 MLG had 50 million in revenue. If they're losing money while pulling in 50 million they're doing something wrong and deserve to fail. Then with a poor economy they say hey instead of holding our normal tournament the cheap way lets find a way to organize a tournament that costs a fuck ton of money for us to pull off. Meanwhile alienating our fans and sponsors at the same time.

I don't always come up with a shitty buisness model, but when I do it is a MLG event.


Add in that MLG is offering less content and competition for a price much higher than their competitors and that's their business model that they want us to believe is the future of NA Esports. :\ That's what I can't stand. GSL offered AOL for 5 dollars... I bought that, in a heartbeat.

I keep hearing this, and it's so blatantly wrong it hurts.

Last year: 6 Pro-circuit events with shitty seeding.

This year: 4 Pro-circuit events with better seeding, Arena qualifiers (free), 7 Arenas (free one week after they air).

By my count, that is more, not less.


Wait, where did you get the 7 Arenas from? I thought there were only 4, one for each Championship. The way I see it, in terms of major events, we go from 6 last year to 8 this year, but 4 of which are PPV, which means that 4 should be available to general viewership.


Its still more contenet as a whole not less especially if you inculde the 3 sets of qualifiers that delivered some great games.
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 35 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE125
Nina 118
Nathanias 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16150
Artosis 323
White-Ra 316
ToSsGirL 27
Dota 2
monkeys_forever312
NeuroSwarm126
League of Legends
Doublelift3980
Counter-Strike
fl0m1347
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox630
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1893
Liquid`Hasu1521
Trikslyr56
Other Games
summit1g6631
Grubby3387
ArmadaUGS1119
shahzam558
C9.Mang0271
JimRising 228
Mew2King60
ZombieGrub60
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream125
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 35
• davetesta25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 45
• Azhi_Dahaki26
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1129
• Scarra1031
• Shiphtur278
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 40m
OSC
14h 40m
Stellar Fest
14h 40m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.