• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:22
CEST 00:22
KST 07:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5605 users

Put down the pitchforks, or lower them, at least. - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 33 34 35 Next All
Haydin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1481 Posts
February 14 2012 06:27 GMT
#21
Excellent post Alex, great to be able to get your viewpoint on this. This should definitely get a spotlight.
aka ilovesharkpeople
eXeKryos
Profile Joined February 2012
United States5 Posts
February 14 2012 06:27 GMT
#22
I'd have easily put down $10 or even $15 to support MLG and EG. I love Team Evil Geniuses, I watch the streams that the team members do, etc. I'd be willing to part with $10 or $15 if it meant supporting the team I love. But due to being on a budget. It's one of those things, there is limited spending I can do and other things take priority.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're doing it wrong by any means. Alex has a great view point and that should be respected as much as MLG saying "Hey, I think our content and the teams we're doing the referrals for are worth your cash and your time." I know many that love Starcraft 2 and the community and it's just something not everyone could drop cash in at the drop of a hat due to budgeting. Or at least in mine and my friends cases.

I, too, will let MLG know my stance and hope to see it fixed in the future, because I'd love to support eSports. I'd love to support EG. I'd love to support Team Liquid. Just it's impossible due to my low fixed income.

-eXeKryos
ch33psh33p
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
7650 Posts
February 14 2012 06:28 GMT
#23
Exactly how I feel. At 10 dollars, a quick poll of TL would certainly show more than twice the number of members currently willing to pay 20. Not only would they not alienate alot of their userbase, they'd make more money. I don't understand why they didn't choose this in the first place. If anything, they'd get some praise even, for not marking it too high.
secret - never again
Gorlin
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2753 Posts
February 14 2012 06:28 GMT
#24
On February 14 2012 15:18 Proko wrote:
I think 2012 is the year where we see big SC2 cutbacks, growth and revenue are not keeping up with spending.

I would love to pay for MLG's arena, but 20$ is just too high.

"Esports is gunna have a withdrawal this year. I will respond by helping that happen."
I'm baffled. I agree with Alex that the price is probably too high, but for what they are doing (paying for every player's trip, good sized prize pool, probably amazing production), come on. If you want to see the scene to actually become something, put in some damn effort and actually invest in what you love. If you don't love it, then you don't deserve it anyway.
Vekalisk
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Australia137 Posts
February 14 2012 06:28 GMT
#25
Really good read, I love the honesty here.

I'll be doing option A because I have the money to spend, but it's still a ridiculous price for a small amount of content in my opinion.

I'm pretty biased here because I do love EG and have bought every T-Shirt on offer just to support the players I love (and team liquid's shirts/posters for that matter) and I hope MLG can do something to make it more manageable for the spectators.
Twitter: @Vekalisk
skatbone
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1005 Posts
February 14 2012 06:28 GMT
#26
Great read. I always appreciate someone selling me something that they are critical of. Seriously. It's a far more persuasive technique.
Mercurial#1193
Mycl
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia1370 Posts
February 14 2012 06:28 GMT
#27
You touched on so many points to do with MLG and this PPV model but damn reading this thread has only left me with excitement to see what those EG plans are for down the line
Von
Profile Joined May 2009
United States363 Posts
February 14 2012 06:29 GMT
#28
I would totally spring $10 or even $12 to watch MLG. I would go out of my way to make room for it and watch every game I could. The last one was awesome.

At $20 ... No.

Multiply that by hundreds or thousands of people, and they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Doesn't matter how they justify it. Price point is too high. So, customers go elsewhere.



If its not fun I dont want it.
Rassy
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands2308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 06:31:10
February 14 2012 06:29 GMT
#29
10$ would not realy make a difference i think, and mlg probably thought the same.
The biggest step is getting people to pay in the first place, (they need to be able to pay on the internet, something not everyone likes to do or can do) and once that first step is made they are basicly willing to pay annything as long as its "small"
10$ would not have made a significant difference, people would still be upset and oppose the idea to pay.

Starting high now, at 20$, to make 10$ for the next toruney look like a good deal
Meh i dont think this will work either,
Manny people on the forum here expressed the idea that they would have paid if it was only 10 but maybe because they dont want to be "dickheads" for beeing completely against anny form of payment.,
Personally i think people who dont want to pay 20 will be convinced by a lower price.
Its verry annoying and inconvenient to have to pull out monney every weekend to watch something,
Specially if you already bought something like a year pass (gold member)

D for me.
I wouldnt mind paying once a year for ALL sc related content but reality is that this is not possible and you will be charged aditionally on manny occasions wich is just annoying

TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
February 14 2012 06:30 GMT
#30
MLG May be taking a page out of the UFC's book - the UFC has been quite successful at growing revenue using the PPV model, but their viewership has stagnated. I'm afraid the same will happen to e-sports; a core group of fans will spend the dough in the short term, but in the longer run fewer new fans will be watching.
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
Hall0wed
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States8486 Posts
February 14 2012 06:30 GMT
#31
The sickest posts on TL right here. Always an interesting read.
♦ My Life for BESTie ♦ 류세라 = 배 ♦
Weaklink123
Profile Joined April 2011
United States159 Posts
February 14 2012 06:31 GMT
#32
The overall idea and execution on this post was really amazing so thank you for that Alex. I will try to find a way to give option A personally. I know others may have a harder financial situation then I do but I would beg any future posts to consider what small thing they could give up this week in order to afford giving MLG $20.
mYinsanityCoach 우정호 (KT Violet) - 1988 - 2012.
aike
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1629 Posts
February 14 2012 06:33 GMT
#33
What confuses me is they are paying $100,000 to fly out 32 players to their headquarters... wait... what? These are all sponsored players... I GUESS it's just to get the koreans to come, but can you imagine if the prize pool from this event was $50,000 higher? and they subsidized player travel with the other $50k? The same players would show up, the bigger prize pool draws more views. That coupled with a $15 weekend pass (maybe $10 for gold members? which would draw in more gold customers) would get them AMAZING viewership and I think a ton more revenue for the event. But who knows, we don't have their numbers and charts so maybe they are doing the right thing.

i will be going to a barcraft for this, if I wasn't i'd still pay the $20 and email asking for $10 next time. I love MLG and I want to support them in any way i can. I am a current gold member, and will renew my subscription (even if I never use it cuz of barcrafts ) just because I want to support them and I think gold membership is a great price.
Wahaha
Thrie
Profile Joined May 2011
United States24 Posts
February 14 2012 06:33 GMT
#34
If nothing else, MLG showed courage for trying to vary their business model. For that courage, I think that they can have my $20 and a chance to knock my socks off with the production. However, with no sock knockage, I'll be hard pressed to repeat.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
LambtrOn
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States671 Posts
February 14 2012 06:34 GMT
#35
I have a gold membership. I tweeted at sundance. hope he actually reads them.
pdd
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia9933 Posts
February 14 2012 06:35 GMT
#36
Very well thought out response. It's interesting to see that MLG's move is in some ways gonna hurt teams and sponsors. I really hope they realize that it's too early/too expensive for them to suddenly turn to this PPV model, when it's pretty clear viewership will fall a LOT.
TI4 Champions: EE-Sama | B7-God | A-God_2000 | Kappa Lord | pieliedie
Nagano
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1157 Posts
February 14 2012 06:35 GMT
#37
It's weird because I spend more on food per day than I would for a 2-day MLG pass. But for some reason that $20 still seems so expensive for what it is. I would understand paying for it if it were one of the final events, like a championship or something, with some buildup to it.

I will buy it because, well, I love esports and would love to see it grow. But I don't agree with the direction or the price point. Option A for me.
“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 06:40:55
February 14 2012 06:36 GMT
#38
I could see spending 20$ for a super premium package that came with some small, trivial, piece of merchandise/memorabilia I could keep to remember the event. Even if it was just a small personalized message from one of the pros/big wigs at MLG. Make me feel special and pretty. That's what I want. EDIT Maybe a badge or something? I don't know. People love that kind of stuff.

I would pay 10$ right now to be able to view MLG though.

EDIT Maybe for 30$ a package could come with a shirt signed by some random pro? Or by sundance? Or by EG's Alex?
honkeybeef
Profile Joined July 2011
United States143 Posts
February 14 2012 06:36 GMT
#39
Good read, totally agree. Already tweeted Sundance about option 2
Keep up the good work! EG fighting!
ilbh
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Brazil1606 Posts
February 14 2012 06:36 GMT
#40
if I understood correctly, there will be a free stream. isnt it?
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 33 34 35 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 113
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 160
firebathero 87
Artosis 76
910 43
NaDa 29
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm115
monkeys_forever94
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0193
PPMD60
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9396
Liquid`Hasu1627
Trikslyr80
Other Games
summit1g7909
Liquid`RaSZi3731
shahzam563
JimRising 283
B2W.Neo188
Pyrionflax171
ArmadaUGS85
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream282
Other Games
BasetradeTV200
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 83
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 30
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1136
Other Games
• imaqtpie1185
• Shiphtur203
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 38m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 38m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.