• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:42
CEST 22:42
KST 05:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8372 users

Put down the pitchforks, or lower them, at least. - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 33 34 35 Next All
mlspmatt
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada404 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 06:44:06
February 14 2012 06:37 GMT
#41
If the professional scene can't survive without charging $20 per weekend event then Houston, we have a problem.

Casual fans won't shell out the $20 cause they don't care enough. They'll just skip it.

Hardcore starcraft fans will pay the $20, but if this becomes a regular thing, and fans have to pay $20/weekend to watch starcraft tournaments, then a lot of fans, even hardcore fans won't be able to afford $20/weekend + GSL.

Obviously I'm not privy to the business side of Starcraft, but I thought it'd be really easy to get well paying sponsors for a really hot demographic that SC2 has access to, and that's harder for advertisers to communicate with as the younger demo tends to spend a lot more time on their computers than watching TV.

I'm kind of curous what kind of response they get, and even more curious if this model is sustainable.

And the PPV model has a very big downside. If casual fans aren't being exposed to your major events, how do you grow the fanbase? Not good for the growth of ESports.
RoninShogun
Profile Joined November 2010
United States315 Posts
February 14 2012 06:39 GMT
#42
This is a really good response and I liked and agree with your point that maybe $10 would actually end up being more profitable for MLG. I personally would pay the 20 if werent such a busy exam week for me, but I think that especially for the first time doing this $10 would be a smarter move
Artosis: Yeah I was gonna probe rush but someone did that yesterday
shiroiusagi
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
SoCal, USA3955 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 06:40:48
February 14 2012 06:39 GMT
#43
I just thought of a totally good idea, but it's sorta too late since this PPV seems set in stone, and the only solution is probably MLG lowering the price later before the event. It could have gone like this:

Hey guys we are gonna kick off our MLG Arena! This first event will be FREE. Watching this first event our casters will be plugging in our discount code for the next MLG which will be PPV!

That might have grabbed a bit more people for the next event that would be PPV. Ease up the views for a PPV. Dunno just a thought!

Ohyeah and this thread so awesome cause it gave both sides of the argument! :D
Graphics@shiroiusagi_ | shiroiusagi.net
Jarree
Profile Joined January 2012
Finland1004 Posts
February 14 2012 06:40 GMT
#44
Excellent and fast post. I really hope this does not affect your (EG's) relationship with mlg since it wasn't all roses.


On February 14 2012 15:07 ottersareneat wrote:

What do you think of the $20 price point?
I think it’s too high - especially within the context of how other SC2 content providers’ packages are priced. I think that the weekend should cost $10. I think MLG would actually make more money with a $10 price tag for the weekend pass, because I think they’d get more than twice the subscribers at $10 than they’ll get at $20. But that may be just me.

Anyway, that’s the primary, overarching reason why EG is not participating in the referral program.

While I believe this may be the case, I also have a feeling mlg gave you a some what shitty deal, like couple of dollars per referred purchase, and you felt like you could only make a couple hundred dollars max. But if the deal made you enough money would you then had gone with the 20$ overall price?
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37117 Posts
February 14 2012 06:40 GMT
#45
TY Alex for this post.

Dear MLG: I love you guys. And honestly, I would be willing to give u guys some sort of money to show my support. But $20 for a weekend is just asking too much. I'm sorry but if u want my money, u will need to drop that price
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
thesL
Profile Joined February 2012
United States10 Posts
February 14 2012 06:42 GMT
#46
looks like sc2 is heading in the PPV direction. Not a fan of this at all. I believe there are better ways to create sustainability and moneterise sc2
Proko
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1022 Posts
February 14 2012 06:42 GMT
#47
On February 14 2012 15:28 Gorlin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 15:18 Proko wrote:
I think 2012 is the year where we see big SC2 cutbacks, growth and revenue are not keeping up with spending.

I would love to pay for MLG's arena, but 20$ is just too high.

"Esports is gunna have a withdrawal this year. I will respond by helping that happen."
I'm baffled. I agree with Alex that the price is probably too high, but for what they are doing (paying for every player's trip, good sized prize pool, probably amazing production), come on. If you want to see the scene to actually become something, put in some damn effort and actually invest in what you love. If you don't love it, then you don't deserve it anyway.


Esports will only work with functional business models. If the product isn't worth the price I don't help anybody by buying it. You need a product that people want long term, at a price they are willing to pay. It's not about what I deserve, I'd be a foolish consumer if I didn't vote with my dollars.
Caster duos should compliment each others' strengths. "You look very handsome today, Tasteless."
Baerinho
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany257 Posts
February 14 2012 06:43 GMT
#48
my very first reaction when the news hit was to do exactly as you are proposing. I immidiatley wrote Sundance a tweet tellign him i like the idea, but 20 bucks was way too much. Also totally agreet hat 10$ would be a very suitable price that would get more than double the viewrs 20$ will bring.

Then again I and you might be worng on that
Champi
Profile Joined March 2010
1422 Posts
February 14 2012 06:43 GMT
#49
Thanks Alex, it was a great read, and I agree with you.

I will have a good think about it.

(P.S. I think otters are neat too)
Tegin
Profile Joined November 2010
United States840 Posts
February 14 2012 06:45 GMT
#50
Thanks for the input Alex. I agree its overpriced and hopefully they'll lower it next time so MLG can have my money.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
feanor1
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1899 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 06:54:02
February 14 2012 06:46 GMT
#51
On February 14 2012 15:21 StarStruck wrote:
I think it's way too early to be trying to sell PPVs as well. From their charts they believe they'll make more at the $20 price point.

Other thing that puzzles me is the fact they're flying all of the players down for what exactly? I want to know what promotional materials they have lined up. I don't see the marketing strategy and this announcement was incredibly late.

This is way too short-term.

Buying the ticket and voicing your concerns isn't productive either. You would still be supporting it.

Take the money and run.

Good song.

Well the hype of having all 32 players in a live event setting is usually pretty big, and adds legitimacy.
Overall I think MLG will have to lower the price point, especially if someone is already buying a gold pass. Also I hope they plan on in the next event working to secure a GomTV style event where they can get 100 spectators in there, hell rent a party(or whole bar) room in bar out. I think the in a big city like NYC they could easily get a few hundred people to pass in and out over the weekend. No idea on the cost of renting a bar for the weekend, but it can't be that crazy high if you guarantee a certain amount of drinks bought/ food purchased.

I just can't believe they aren't able to have room for a live audience, I mean if your already forking over 100k to get everyone there, there has got to a way to have enough room for a live audience. I sure they explored a ton of options, but I still hope they try and work something out for future events.

I understand you cant increase the amount of content for free, but as a gold member I would expect a discount. somewhere between 25%-50%. If they sell gold memberships for $30 and then 6 PPV events at $10 or maybe $15.
I could see a lot of people going for it at $30+(90)*.66=$90 for 10 full weekends of SCII entertainment. A very reasonable rate, not gomtv but hey at least the HQ stream isn't 480p.

Overall I really like the direction MLG is going, even if the pricing on this isn't quite right. If MLG can make this work we wouldn't be that far from moving toward Korean BW style leagues. Eventually in a year or two if they could prove this sustainable I imagine the goal would be to get top teams to relocate players to the NYC area to host a GOMTV style tourney. Hell MLG could pay housing for a couple Korean teams with the amount they will be paying in Airfare and lodging this year alone(It crazy the amount of international flights the are paying for 24 *6 and 16 *4 for pro circuit. Up to a maximum of 208 + NA qualifiers)
sluggaslamoo
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Australia4494 Posts
February 14 2012 06:46 GMT
#52
Instead of PPV I think they should sell physical HD DVDs with some cool bonuses.

It actually works really well in the subculture streaming communities, often getting sold out. The problem I see with PPV is that you are not getting anything tangible.

Give the customers a nice fancy box and I think they'd more than willingly pay $20 to support the scene.
Come play Android Netrunner - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=409008
Lavalamp799
Profile Joined March 2011
United States554 Posts
February 14 2012 06:46 GMT
#53
E) Just watch Assembly for free
Whiteman103
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1070 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 06:47:21
February 14 2012 06:47 GMT
#54
On February 14 2012 15:36 ilbh wrote:
if I understood correctly, there will be a free stream. isnt it?


no there will not be a free stream for the winter area. One thing i'm not sure about is what alex ment by this "I wish (for a variety of reasons) that MLG would take a freemium approach (i.e., free low-quality stream, PPV high-quality stream) to their Arena events, just as they’ll do for their Championship events."
apoct
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States83 Posts
February 14 2012 06:48 GMT
#55
Option A for me. But I think for 95%+ of people it's going to be option B. Really, $20 is just too much for 1 weekend of content when there's tons of other content around for free.
VirgilSC2
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States6151 Posts
February 14 2012 06:49 GMT
#56
On February 14 2012 15:47 Whiteman103 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 15:36 ilbh wrote:
if I understood correctly, there will be a free stream. isnt it?


no there will not be a free stream for the winter area. One thing i'm not sure about is what alex ment by this "I wish (for a variety of reasons) that MLG would take a freemium approach (i.e., free low-quality stream, PPV high-quality stream) to their Arena events, just as they’ll do for their Championship events."

The Winter Arena (and all subsequent Arena Events) will be Pay Per View.

The Championship Events (akin to last year's MLG Pro Circuit Events) will still feature a "freemium" (Free LQ, Paid HQ) format.
Clarity Gaming #1 Fan | Avid MTG Grinder | @VirgilSC2
ottersareneat
Profile Joined November 2010
United States55 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 06:52:56
February 14 2012 06:50 GMT
#57
On February 14 2012 15:40 Jarree wrote:
Excellent and fast post. I really hope this does not affect your (EG's) relationship with mlg since it wasn't all roses.


Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 15:07 ottersareneat wrote:

What do you think of the $20 price point?
I think it’s too high - especially within the context of how other SC2 content providers’ packages are priced. I think that the weekend should cost $10. I think MLG would actually make more money with a $10 price tag for the weekend pass, because I think they’d get more than twice the subscribers at $10 than they’ll get at $20. But that may be just me.

Anyway, that’s the primary, overarching reason why EG is not participating in the referral program.

While I believe this may be the case, I also have a feeling mlg gave you a some what shitty deal, like couple of dollars per referred purchase, and you felt like you could only make a couple hundred dollars max. But if the deal made you enough money would you then had gone with the 20$ overall price?


No, I wouldn't have participated in the referral program unless the overall price point was lowered.

From a personal perspective, I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing a product upon the community, and profiting from sales of said product, if I felt that the price point was unreasonable (both for moral reasons, and because once you push people to buy something that they know isn't worth the money, you instantly lose all of your credibility), and from a business perspective, it doesn't matter how good the revshare is if the product isn't going to sell.
i like otters because they're neat and they hold hands while swimming backward.
MHT
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1026 Posts
February 14 2012 06:50 GMT
#58
The way I see it freemium is the only option that could make the industry survive and grow at the same time. In order for us all to live we need both and PPV-only will stop all growth and even remove a considerable amount of the viewerbase.
OuchyDathurts
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4588 Posts
February 14 2012 06:51 GMT
#59
Amazing post Alex. Think it says a lot to try and get people to voice their concerns and spend their money as they see fit while actually not looking to profit from a system you see as flawed. Granted I'm sure you make more than the average SC2 fan lol. But I don't think most people would take it in the balls revenue wise to voice their opinion.

Personally I'm torn between A and B. Depends whats going on that weekend.

I don't want to see MLG fail, but I also think they may have slightly overstepped things. We'll find out how it all pans out I guess.
LiquidDota Staff
a9arnn
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States1537 Posts
February 14 2012 06:51 GMT
#60
Thanks for posting, it definitely puts another perspective on things.

If someone didn't work, it'd be super tough for that person to get the money for this, I know for me, $20 is a big chunk in the college student budget D: (I only work enough to get like 100$ every 2 weeks, and I gotta get gas and groceries with that D.

So Sundance, for now, my money is yours because you've proven quality production and effort in listening to the community and improving MLG, but $20... Damn you're getting close to the border of my wallet's desire to watch MLG O.o
VOD finder guy for sc2ratings.com/ ! aka: ogndrahcir, a9azn2 | Go ZerO, Stork, Sea, and KawaiiRice :D | nesc2league.com/forum/index.php | youtube.com/watch?v=oaGtjWL5mZo
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 33 34 35 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 229
JuggernautJason105
Nina 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 593
White-Ra 168
firebathero 81
910 41
Trap 25
NaDa 15
Counter-Strike
Fnx 761
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0194
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9347
Liquid`Hasu1782
crisheroes1703
Trikslyr90
Other Games
summit1g5990
Liquid`RaSZi5684
Beastyqt919
shahzam468
B2W.Neo277
Pyrionflax145
KnowMe126
ArmadaUGS118
ZombieGrub80
IndyStarCraft 79
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream385
Other Games
BasetradeTV173
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 39
• Eskiya23 12
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV396
League of Legends
• TFBlade817
Other Games
• imaqtpie886
• Shiphtur306
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 19m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 19m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.