• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:45
CEST 17:45
KST 00:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9387 users

UI still sub-par 2 years later. Why don't we care? - Page 72

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 70 71 72 73 74 87 Next
MaxFatality
Profile Joined November 2010
United States21 Posts
March 06 2012 02:35 GMT
#1421
+1
Alot of these features would be great to add. Also amazing images from Goblinoid. Blizzard should take note!
XBOX360 - PGR3 - 2006 WSVG Pro Qualifier - 2007 WCG Pacific Finalist
boxman22
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
Canada430 Posts
March 06 2012 02:47 GMT
#1422
On March 06 2012 10:41 starclaws wrote:It converged to RealiD and added achievements/challenges/stat tracking.

I dunno what you mean by added stat tracking. It's actually SIGNIFICANTLY worse at stat tracking than old bnet...
-MoOsE-
Profile Joined March 2011
United States236 Posts
March 06 2012 03:02 GMT
#1423
also, they took away more stats from the lower leagues too. I guess they think less is better.
The King in the North Fighting
kckkryptonite
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
1126 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-06 04:40:12
March 06 2012 04:19 GMT
#1424
Great write-up, absolutely agree with everything, it's so sad to think back to the glory days of B.net and how terrible it is in its modern day form and how blatantly out-of-touch the devs are. The UMS community was a huge part of why I played SC1 for so long as I thoroughly enjoyed the system and constant rotation of new maps, but it's nearly non-existent in SC2 because of the "popularity" system. There are maybe 2-3 maps on the first two pages I like that even have a chance to get filled.
RIP avilo, qxc keyboard 2013, RIP Nathanis keyboard 2014
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
March 06 2012 08:21 GMT
#1425
On March 06 2012 10:19 hfxRos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 06 2012 08:27 Shockk wrote:
On March 06 2012 06:26 blackone wrote:
I know the title is more the intro to a whine thread than an actual question, but I personally don't care because all I want from the SC2 UI is to give me an appropriate opponent at the click of a button, and it does that better than any game I ever played.


Thanks for the bump! Try to work on your social skills, though.


Maybe he works on his social skills in places other than StarCraft 2. When I play StarCraft, I want to sit down and play StarCraft. I don't want to talk to people about why whatever race they play needs a buff and whatever race I play needs a nerf.

When I want to interact with people, I go out with my friends. When I want to play a game, I play a game.

This is why I don't care that the UI is bad. If the UI was great, like many of your suggestions, my StarCraft experience would be 100% the same, and I imagine the majority of players would say the same.

(Also, don't be a dick)


Oh the irony. The "social skills" part was a snide remark at the fact that he called this 70 page discussion a whine thread.
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
March 06 2012 08:32 GMT
#1426
I wish I had more to contribute to the discussion that hasn't been said, but I just want to take the time to compliment a fantastic OP, thank the subsequent posters for their quality contributions, and voice my hope that Blizzard will take this message to heart. Its really silly that ICCUP felt more friendly than B.net 2.0.

I miss my friends!
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
March 06 2012 08:42 GMT
#1427
Also:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=317944
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
Demonace34
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2493 Posts
March 06 2012 08:49 GMT
#1428
I also stopped playing due to the ghost town/interface on top of many other reasons (burnt out in general). I remember logging in and it feeling so hard to connect to anyone unless I was playing a match against them. I really enjoyed looking at some of the mock ups that it could be, but I think blizzard already made enough off the game that UI doesn't really matter anymore.
NaNiwa|IdrA|HuK|iNcontroL|Jinro|NonY|Day[9]|PuMa|HerO|MMA|NesTea|NaDa|Boxer|Ryung|
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
March 06 2012 08:51 GMT
#1429
On March 06 2012 17:42 Crushgroove wrote:
Also:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=317944


I had already linked to it in the OP, but another mention is good nonetheless. Also, I asked that thread's OP to cross-link to our discussion to further spread awareness and exposure.
papaz
Profile Joined December 2009
Sweden4149 Posts
March 06 2012 09:36 GMT
#1430
The community made bnet improvments pictures are pure awesome.

how the hell did you design that?

It's suh a shame that Blizzard didn't do what the community basically serves them on a plate.

I have no the slightest clue why Blizzard has made bnet to such a social failure. Normally I put on my thin foil hat and search for some conspiracy theory but in this case I can't come up with one single reason.

Because from a business point of view they must want people to be online in their bnet system. Right now, it's just play a couple of games and logout.

Just like mentioned previously in this thread. I used to get home, login to WoW, not to play but because I had my guild online, was watching the different chat channels and just having my character just outside of orgrimmar.

I was inspecting people, dueling, chatting...just hanging out and that was a BLAST!
RaLakedaimon
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1564 Posts
March 06 2012 09:51 GMT
#1431
Would be great to see Blizzard make some changes to make Bnet not seem so dead all the time but I doubt they will. I feel like I would be more active like I used to be if the chat system worked a bit better but oh well. Very informative OP though well done.
Ashur
Profile Joined January 2004
Czech Republic646 Posts
March 06 2012 12:10 GMT
#1432
Being in all channels at once is good, I cannot complain about it. But an option to read chat messages in game (ON/OFF) is not enough. I would like to stay in some channels, but spamming in these would disturb me in game. On the other hand, in some of them I would like to stay and read messages anyways. ON/OFF switch for each channel would be nice.
mafia shit bullshit
Thylacine
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden882 Posts
March 06 2012 12:15 GMT
#1433
On March 06 2012 21:10 Ashur wrote:
Being in all channels at once is good, I cannot complain about it. But an option to read chat messages in game (ON/OFF) is not enough. I would like to stay in some channels, but spamming in these would disturb me in game. On the other hand, in some of them I would like to stay and read messages anyways. ON/OFF switch for each channel would be nice.


So you don't want an excellent UI that has been suggested, you ONLY want them to improve the chat? Sad.
What you're looking at could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn't. It's the beginning. Introducing Mr. John Valentine, air traveler. His destination: the Twilight Zone...
Ashur
Profile Joined January 2004
Czech Republic646 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-06 14:42:33
March 06 2012 14:30 GMT
#1434
On March 06 2012 21:15 Zanazuah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 06 2012 21:10 Ashur wrote:
Being in all channels at once is good, I cannot complain about it. But an option to read chat messages in game (ON/OFF) is not enough. I would like to stay in some channels, but spamming in these would disturb me in game. On the other hand, in some of them I would like to stay and read messages anyways. ON/OFF switch for each channel would be nice.


So you don't want an excellent UI that has been suggested, you ONLY want them to improve the chat? Sad.


In my previous posts I also said I agree with suggestions in OP. I doubt that they are gonna be implemented, that's sad.
mafia shit bullshit
NtroP
Profile Joined July 2010
United States174 Posts
March 06 2012 15:46 GMT
#1435
I'm surprised nobody has thought of this yet, but I believe they don't want you 'hanging out' in Starcraft, but in WoW.

If they never implement a better social interface, you can bet your ass this is the reason.
IronMan3
Profile Joined March 2012
31 Posts
March 06 2012 16:03 GMT
#1436
I feel like Blizzard has/is killing the community through their anti social and plain bad bnet 2.0 and their greed for money, charging tournaments money to be able to hold these tournaments.
reapsen
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany559 Posts
March 06 2012 17:50 GMT
#1437
I totally agree that you have the feeling of beeing alone, while in the game. Even stronger, i associate cold and bleakness with the UI. Everything is so blue and monotone and with this space-view in the background it feels like you are kind of lost in space. I find it very unappealing to stay awhile and idle.
Goblinoid
Profile Joined February 2011
United States55 Posts
March 06 2012 17:59 GMT
#1438
Oh hey, I forgot to share my updated version of this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58526114/SC2_ui:feature_concepts.pdf

It's intended to be interactive (assuming you download/open it with a pdf viewer), but you can scroll through it in your browser if you just want the gist of it (but don't scroll if you intend to interact with it!!).

Let me know if anything isn't user friendly or doesn't make sense (or if any links don't hook up right!). There's a weird link problem in the Tournament page that links you to a custom game lobby which I can't seem to fix, just click on the right side of the orange button for now .

Also, at the moment, on the bottom left of the screen I have listed recent players you've played (easy way to make new friends/block jerks) but I think it'd be cool if it rotated between a couple different views. What would you want to see there? Recent game stats, profile stats, last game info, etc.?

(from http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=204977)
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
March 06 2012 18:00 GMT
#1439
Remember that they originally weren't even going to allow you to join chat channels, now chat channels are the only way to play custom games that aren't in the top 2-3 pages of popular (i'm serious I've waited around for an hour in the lobby of games on pages 4+ unable to get a game going)

So you've gotta guess or research what random channel will have people who would be interested in playing whatever custom you've found and are interested in, and try to convince them to play. This as opposed to just being able to broadcast to EVERYONE that you want to play that custom game, and if they're interested they can jump in and expect a game to start within a few minutes.

This then on top of creating names for custom games, so you don't have people leaving when the game-mode they want isn't chosen at the start (squad tower D chaos vs normal for a quick example)
How can blizzard be so absolutely retarded in their UI design and not even touch on it in the 2 years since release...
Overall I'd say this (custom game interface) is the number one thing that's ruining SC2 for me right now
Treehead
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
999 Posts
March 06 2012 18:04 GMT
#1440
Most people won’t recognize this – but the issue of Blizzard failing to realize the importance of community actually predates bnet 0.2. There was a time when I played WoW PvP with a group of about 25 people who knew each other pretty well and had a a pretty good time together. We were known on the other side of the server, and we knew groups who queued from the other side of the server. When we were out doing random stuff (farming, raiding, etc.) there was actually a really good chance the members of the other factions would be our pvp rivals from earlier in the day. Sometimes that didn’t mean much, but sometimes that meant a few of us would go down there and try to kill their members on the way to raiding. This created some fun and memorable rivalries and interactions between players. Often times, one member or another of the group we were razzing would jump over to our ventrilo server to give us hell and really, it was just fun to jaw at each other, but neither side really got legitimately mad very often. It reminded a person of all the little cliques you form in high school, except most of us were adults so a lot of the drama and annoyance that pervaded the high school culture (back in the day) never made it into my wow server.

I knew and had daily interactions with dozens of people. Dozens more on both factions were recognizable and had a reputation with the group I hung out with. They weren’t exactly like a family (I won’t be that cheesy), but they certainly were a dysfunctional and fun group of people a person could go hang around, a subset of which would be online any time of the day. Regardless of whatever anyone has to say about the game of WoW, I made enough friends and had enough memories of the game for it to be well worth whatever amount of money I dumped into it.

But that was all early in the game, before any expansions came out.

Then, Blizzard decided that necessitating groups of people to play their game was a mistake. They started by making PvP cross-server (when I say cross-server, keep in mind this means it went from people on your server that, if you play a lot, you knew, to some random dude you’ve never seen before and will never see again), then moved to making dungeon groups cross-server, and finally just recently they made raids cross-server. Although they left in the chat features (read this as: they haven’t gotten around to removing WoW’s chat features yet), they systematically removed any trace of the necessity for groups of people to play their game (btw originally, promoting social interaction was a necessity for an MMO – Blizzard broke this mold right before their game started falling apart). These days, you log on, you can queue for a raid, for a dungeon, for a BG - all solo. And you get things – more things than you ever got before, and easier than before too. But I have no motivation to do it. Know why? I don’t know the people I raid with. They don’t know me. Same with the people I PvP with, the people I do dungeons with, etc. I don’t know anyone I play the game with except those random few from RL or older days who still play. Most of the people I played WoW with quit around the time this last expansion came out. And guilds these days aren’t really forming – no one has a reason to want to join a guild anymore. The stuff that’s hard to do is too hard for most guilds to do anyway, and the stuff that’s easy to do is more comfortable to do on your own time in random groups.

It’s about chat for SC2, but it isn’t really JUST about chat. Blizzard thinks “community” means a bunch of people who don’t know each other posting on a forum site. Seriously, google the words "brood war community" and "wow community" - see the difference between the two results? One has only blizzard run stuff, one has only community-run stuff. Guess which is which.

They have actively moved away from encouraging interaction to the point where when I played the d3 beta recently, I had a hard time contacting a friend of mine who was playing with me. And in all the time I’ve spent playing the beta (not too long, but a reasonable amount of time), I’ve talked to no one I didn’t already know. They’re going to keep making their games like this until it’s clear to them that it's hurting their bottom line.
Prev 1 70 71 72 73 74 87 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 680
ComeBackTV 459
SteadfastSC419
Rex116
CosmosSc2 50
EnkiAlexander 47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 419
ProTech132
Rex 116
CosmosSc2 50
UpATreeSC 28
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42527
Jaedong 1325
Hyuk 1121
Mini 631
Soma 611
Horang2 565
EffOrt 506
BeSt 469
Larva 393
Soulkey 334
[ Show more ]
ZerO 290
Last 226
Stork 224
Snow 210
ggaemo 209
Rush 192
hero 76
Mind 74
Liquid`Ret 46
Sharp 39
Killer 36
Shinee 35
Free 32
ToSsGirL 25
Shine 25
Terrorterran 24
sorry 20
Trap 18
HiyA 16
Rock 15
yabsab 14
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc7348
qojqva1755
Dendi889
Counter-Strike
x6flipin1828
Fnx 806
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2463
Khaldor1897
Other Games
ArmadaUGS2827
singsing2055
hiko953
B2W.Neo933
byalli462
Liquid`VortiX138
KnowMe120
QueenE84
Mew2King78
Trikslyr33
Railgan15
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream98
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 23
• mYiSmile117
• Adnapsc2 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 24
• FirePhoenix5
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2671
League of Legends
• Nemesis1906
• Jankos1090
• TFBlade757
Other Games
• Shiphtur338
• WagamamaTV231
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
18h 15m
OSC
21h 15m
Stellar Fest
21h 15m
OSC
1d 8h
Stellar Fest
1d 21h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.