• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:05
CEST 15:05
KST 22:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)42Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7961 users

[News] New Slayers Member - Page 18

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 54 Next
waylanderm
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands118 Posts
July 14 2011 13:35 GMT
#341
i don't really understand why there are different tournements for women en male players btw , i mean if a women practices just as hard as a male player , she should do just as wel as sc2

hope she does wel
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
July 14 2011 13:35 GMT
#342
On July 14 2011 22:34 Virtue wrote:
ESPORTS: Now with 100% more girls!



Exactly.

Also am I the only one here who thought, "OMFG YELLOWWW!!!" when they read the forum topic? (But before glancing at the content)
kiss kiss fall in love
Nevarix
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden294 Posts
July 14 2011 13:36 GMT
#343
On July 14 2011 22:29 Phaded wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 22:18 DonkeyShot wrote:
On July 14 2011 22:04 Novalisk wrote:
On July 14 2011 22:02 DonkeyShot wrote:
On July 14 2011 21:03 CaptainTwig wrote:
On July 14 2011 20:11 DonkeyShot wrote:
Really questionable decision. It's incredible that this gets so much positive feedback.

Regardless of how well she can actually play, this is clearly a publicity move. That in itself wouldn't be too bad but:

1. It appears like a demonstration of equal opportunities and emancipation while
2. subversively reinforcing chauvinistic stereotypes by associating womens success with their appeal to men.

So it's not just sexist, it even disguises itself as the opposite. It puts womens success at the mercy of their appeal towards men, which is one of the most subtle and unfair prejudices towards women. And you cannot tell me that her looks and appeal to men did not play a role in her recruitment. They could have picked thousands of other girls. And if one tries to argue that one has to pick from the thousands of girls by some aspect, then making it her looks reinforces the picture of the dominance of male interest whether you want it or not.

The people here saying that her looks are not important are making it even worse, because they are acting as if this issue did not actually exist. Even if she plays well, it still reinforces the stereotype that only women who appeal to men can be successful. And the same is true for TossGirl.

You should rethink your enthusiasm.


'sexism' I think thats taking it a bit far. claiming this is a scheme to excisise womens rights publicly, I would say is closer to sexism my friend

She was picked to appeal to men? aruable
She was picked for her looks? Yes she was. Jessica publicly announced it!

Jessica publicly announced it. Doesn't that mean anything to you? for me personally it's just another reminder that Korea isn't England or American or Germany etc. You need to apply some culteral context to the sitaution as I said earlier Let's not forget Korea is on the other side of the planet, being attractive in Korea is a big deal, seeking beauty isn't looked at as being something shallow or insubstantial.


Cultural context is important, I agree, but it is not an excuse. It's hard to argue for cultural relativism in a globalised world and the starcraft scene of wich this is a part goes far beyond Korea. In particular, this picture is not just presented to Koreans but to us as well und is thus not just a part of their culture but of ours as well. I do not see good looks as virtuous because I do not think it is a conscious decision to look good and if Koreans think otherwise (I trust you on this) then I have to disagree because I do not see how these values could exist independently of each other today.

Also, I do not have a problem with "schemes" to exercise womens rights publicly. My problem is that this appears to be one while it is actually reinforcing unfair rolemodels.

On July 14 2011 21:15 Novalisk wrote:

Sex appeal isn't the only appeal. If a grandmaster girl came around, men would like her even if she wasn't a looker.


That's not the point. It's about putting pretty girls in positions where Grandmasters girls are supposed to be.


Wait, you honestly think there are grandmaster girls that aren't getting into teams because they're not pretty enough?


No, that's not what I think. If there were Grandmasters girls (i don't know if there are, it seems not) I assume they could be there. But that's entirely hypothetical. It's the fact that the only girls that are there are pretty. And that seems like a very distorted picture.

according to
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=242083

this player is a chick
http://sc2ranks.com/tw/481504/luway


Actually, if you look at the ranks in GM, she's rank 227, and havent played for 3 months, which probably means that she was kicked from GM.
StateSC2
Profile Joined September 2010
Korea (South)621 Posts
July 14 2011 13:36 GMT
#344
So cute!! SlayerSEve FIGHTING!!
Fireblast!: "This guy is pointless and wonderful"
KentHenry
Profile Joined August 2010
United States260 Posts
July 14 2011 13:36 GMT
#345
All I'm going to say is that men will always be superior to women at things they do, for example sports. I'm not saying women don't contribute anything to society, it's just that men tend to be more athletic and superior at almost everything. Good luck to her though, Eve fighting!!!

On a side note: I hope she pwns Idra, Destiny and any other cocky player. I ♥ Idra, even though he's cocky. ^^
Olinim
Profile Joined March 2011
4044 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 13:40:15
July 14 2011 13:37 GMT
#346
On July 14 2011 22:36 KentHenry wrote:
All I'm going to say is that men will always be superior to women at things they do, for example sports. I'm not saying women don't contribute anything to society, it's just that men tend to be more athletic and superior at almost everything. Good luck to her though, Eve fighting!!!

On a side note: I hope she pwns Idra, Destiny and any other cocky player. I ♥ Idra, even though he's cocky. ^^

...Why so sexist?
Novalisk
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Israel1818 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 13:38:29
July 14 2011 13:37 GMT
#347
On July 14 2011 22:29 mutantmagnet wrote:
Bravo Slayers. You added another Terran player to your already grossly Terran Heavy team.

I strongly suspect this will bite them hard for a long time when the new expansions come out and they don't have enough representatives from the other races to help them understand the changes as quickly as they need to.


Warning: GSL spoilers

+ Show Spoiler [GSL Spoilers] +
It already bit them in the ass in the GSTL, as Killer demolished them. Alicia is simply not enough to pick up on all the new protoss trends and provide enough TvP training to everyone.
/commercial
shockaslim
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1105 Posts
July 14 2011 13:37 GMT
#348
Getting girls in eSports... I like. But, isn't kind of strange that she AND MCs girlfriend both look like TOP?
Dirty Deeds...DONE DIRT CHEAP!!!
kOre
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada3642 Posts
July 14 2011 13:38 GMT
#349
On July 14 2011 22:37 Novalisk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 22:29 mutantmagnet wrote:
Bravo Slayers. You added another Terran player to your already grossly Terran Heavy team.

I strongly suspect this will bite them hard for a long time when the new expansions come out and they don't have enough representatives from the other races to help them understand the changes as quickly as they need to.


Warning: GSL spoilers

+ Show Spoiler [GSL Spoilers] +
It already bit them in the ass in the GSTL, as Killer demolished them. Alicia is simply not enough to pick up on all the new protoss trends.

+ Show Spoiler [GSTL Spoiler] +
Nice call, SangHo lopsided ownage ftw lol
http://www.starcraftmecca.net - Founder
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
July 14 2011 13:39 GMT
#350
On July 14 2011 22:29 Phaded wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 22:18 DonkeyShot wrote:
On July 14 2011 22:04 Novalisk wrote:
On July 14 2011 22:02 DonkeyShot wrote:
On July 14 2011 21:03 CaptainTwig wrote:
On July 14 2011 20:11 DonkeyShot wrote:
Really questionable decision. It's incredible that this gets so much positive feedback.

Regardless of how well she can actually play, this is clearly a publicity move. That in itself wouldn't be too bad but:

1. It appears like a demonstration of equal opportunities and emancipation while
2. subversively reinforcing chauvinistic stereotypes by associating womens success with their appeal to men.

So it's not just sexist, it even disguises itself as the opposite. It puts womens success at the mercy of their appeal towards men, which is one of the most subtle and unfair prejudices towards women. And you cannot tell me that her looks and appeal to men did not play a role in her recruitment. They could have picked thousands of other girls. And if one tries to argue that one has to pick from the thousands of girls by some aspect, then making it her looks reinforces the picture of the dominance of male interest whether you want it or not.

The people here saying that her looks are not important are making it even worse, because they are acting as if this issue did not actually exist. Even if she plays well, it still reinforces the stereotype that only women who appeal to men can be successful. And the same is true for TossGirl.

You should rethink your enthusiasm.


'sexism' I think thats taking it a bit far. claiming this is a scheme to excisise womens rights publicly, I would say is closer to sexism my friend

She was picked to appeal to men? aruable
She was picked for her looks? Yes she was. Jessica publicly announced it!

Jessica publicly announced it. Doesn't that mean anything to you? for me personally it's just another reminder that Korea isn't England or American or Germany etc. You need to apply some culteral context to the sitaution as I said earlier Let's not forget Korea is on the other side of the planet, being attractive in Korea is a big deal, seeking beauty isn't looked at as being something shallow or insubstantial.


Cultural context is important, I agree, but it is not an excuse. It's hard to argue for cultural relativism in a globalised world and the starcraft scene of wich this is a part goes far beyond Korea. In particular, this picture is not just presented to Koreans but to us as well und is thus not just a part of their culture but of ours as well. I do not see good looks as virtuous because I do not think it is a conscious decision to look good and if Koreans think otherwise (I trust you on this) then I have to disagree because I do not see how these values could exist independently of each other today.

Also, I do not have a problem with "schemes" to exercise womens rights publicly. My problem is that this appears to be one while it is actually reinforcing unfair rolemodels.

On July 14 2011 21:15 Novalisk wrote:

Sex appeal isn't the only appeal. If a grandmaster girl came around, men would like her even if she wasn't a looker.


That's not the point. It's about putting pretty girls in positions where Grandmasters girls are supposed to be.


Wait, you honestly think there are grandmaster girls that aren't getting into teams because they're not pretty enough?


No, that's not what I think. If there were Grandmasters girls (i don't know if there are, it seems not) I assume they could be there. But that's entirely hypothetical. It's the fact that the only girls that are there are pretty. And that seems like a very distorted picture.

according to
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=242083

this player is a chick
http://sc2ranks.com/tw/481504/luway


22 won, 5 lost, ratio of 81.48%

Not much of a record. I didn't realize you could become GM with so few games.
Drlemur
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States153 Posts
July 14 2011 13:41 GMT
#351
SlayerS = smart. I wasn't planning to watch through all the GSTL games and wasn't even sure I should have bothered to pay for the pass. But after reading this, I immediately went over to GOM to see if the VODs were up yet.

Things that make you want to watch = good for eSports.
SafeAsCheese
Profile Joined June 2011
United States4924 Posts
July 14 2011 13:42 GMT
#352
On July 14 2011 22:39 Zzoram wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 22:29 Phaded wrote:
On July 14 2011 22:18 DonkeyShot wrote:
On July 14 2011 22:04 Novalisk wrote:
On July 14 2011 22:02 DonkeyShot wrote:
On July 14 2011 21:03 CaptainTwig wrote:
On July 14 2011 20:11 DonkeyShot wrote:
Really questionable decision. It's incredible that this gets so much positive feedback.

Regardless of how well she can actually play, this is clearly a publicity move. That in itself wouldn't be too bad but:

1. It appears like a demonstration of equal opportunities and emancipation while
2. subversively reinforcing chauvinistic stereotypes by associating womens success with their appeal to men.

So it's not just sexist, it even disguises itself as the opposite. It puts womens success at the mercy of their appeal towards men, which is one of the most subtle and unfair prejudices towards women. And you cannot tell me that her looks and appeal to men did not play a role in her recruitment. They could have picked thousands of other girls. And if one tries to argue that one has to pick from the thousands of girls by some aspect, then making it her looks reinforces the picture of the dominance of male interest whether you want it or not.

The people here saying that her looks are not important are making it even worse, because they are acting as if this issue did not actually exist. Even if she plays well, it still reinforces the stereotype that only women who appeal to men can be successful. And the same is true for TossGirl.

You should rethink your enthusiasm.


'sexism' I think thats taking it a bit far. claiming this is a scheme to excisise womens rights publicly, I would say is closer to sexism my friend

She was picked to appeal to men? aruable
She was picked for her looks? Yes she was. Jessica publicly announced it!

Jessica publicly announced it. Doesn't that mean anything to you? for me personally it's just another reminder that Korea isn't England or American or Germany etc. You need to apply some culteral context to the sitaution as I said earlier Let's not forget Korea is on the other side of the planet, being attractive in Korea is a big deal, seeking beauty isn't looked at as being something shallow or insubstantial.


Cultural context is important, I agree, but it is not an excuse. It's hard to argue for cultural relativism in a globalised world and the starcraft scene of wich this is a part goes far beyond Korea. In particular, this picture is not just presented to Koreans but to us as well und is thus not just a part of their culture but of ours as well. I do not see good looks as virtuous because I do not think it is a conscious decision to look good and if Koreans think otherwise (I trust you on this) then I have to disagree because I do not see how these values could exist independently of each other today.

Also, I do not have a problem with "schemes" to exercise womens rights publicly. My problem is that this appears to be one while it is actually reinforcing unfair rolemodels.

On July 14 2011 21:15 Novalisk wrote:

Sex appeal isn't the only appeal. If a grandmaster girl came around, men would like her even if she wasn't a looker.


That's not the point. It's about putting pretty girls in positions where Grandmasters girls are supposed to be.


Wait, you honestly think there are grandmaster girls that aren't getting into teams because they're not pretty enough?


No, that's not what I think. If there were Grandmasters girls (i don't know if there are, it seems not) I assume they could be there. But that's entirely hypothetical. It's the fact that the only girls that are there are pretty. And that seems like a very distorted picture.

according to
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=242083

this player is a chick
http://sc2ranks.com/tw/481504/luway


22 won, 5 lost, ratio of 81.48%

Not much of a record. I didn't realize you could become GM with so few games.

Taiwan is one of the least competitive servers.
cArn-
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Korea (South)824 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 13:46:11
July 14 2011 13:43 GMT
#353
On July 14 2011 19:10 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
Is the OP translation accurate when it says that Slayers_Jessica recruited her based on looks and skill?

I find that a bit troubling. I'm very much in favor of females being given equal opportunities and respect as progamers, but the idea of a progamer being given a slot on a prestegious team even in part because of their looks isn't okay. Especially a female progamer, since that makes a statement that detracts from the legitimacy of females as competitors in esports.

That being said, congratulations to Eve! I'm looking forward to seeing what she's got.


It shouldn't be troubling, looks play a bigger role than you think for male players

And yeah I saw her before several times and I always thought it was MMA's girlfriend... Looks like an obvious publicity move, but it would be awesome that I get proven wrong
Twitter : http://twitter.com/CARNDARAK
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
July 14 2011 13:44 GMT
#354
On July 14 2011 22:29 mutantmagnet wrote:
Bravo Slayers. You added another Terran player to your already grossly Terran Heavy team.

I strongly suspect this will bite them hard for a long time when the new expansions come out and they don't have enough representatives from the other races to help them understand the changes as quickly as they need to.


While I agree with you that SlayerS might be too Terran heavy - if a top player from race X knocks at your door and wants in - you send them away? I somehow doubt they had to chose between "This good P, this good Z, this mediocre T girl".

I also somehow doubt that Ga Yeon has enough influence to bring a player to the team (not only clan) who has no skill. I think Boxer / Cella / MMA / all the other members would be against it.
We also need to remember - who was i.e. Alicia before he joined SlayerS? Basically a no-name. SlayerS, for me, always stood for taking the unknown players and molding them into high caliber players. Maybe they will do the same with Eve - who knows.
OopsOopsBaby
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Singapore3425 Posts
July 14 2011 13:44 GMT
#355
just another female progamer. no biggie.
s3x2-2 xiao3x2+2 bone3+2+2
CaptainTwig
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom532 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-14 13:52:46
July 14 2011 13:44 GMT
#356
On July 14 2011 22:02 DonkeyShot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 21:03 CaptainTwig wrote:
On July 14 2011 20:11 DonkeyShot wrote:
Really questionable decision. It's incredible that this gets so much positive feedback.

Regardless of how well she can actually play, this is clearly a publicity move. That in itself wouldn't be too bad but:

1. It appears like a demonstration of equal opportunities and emancipation while
2. subversively reinforcing chauvinistic stereotypes by associating womens success with their appeal to men.

So it's not just sexist, it even disguises itself as the opposite. It puts womens success at the mercy of their appeal towards men, which is one of the most subtle and unfair prejudices towards women. And you cannot tell me that her looks and appeal to men did not play a role in her recruitment. They could have picked thousands of other girls. And if one tries to argue that one has to pick from the thousands of girls by some aspect, then making it her looks reinforces the picture of the dominance of male interest whether you want it or not.

The people here saying that her looks are not important are making it even worse, because they are acting as if this issue did not actually exist. Even if she plays well, it still reinforces the stereotype that only women who appeal to men can be successful. And the same is true for TossGirl.

You should rethink your enthusiasm.


'sexism' I think thats taking it a bit far. claiming this is a scheme to excisise womens rights publicly, I would say is closer to sexism my friend

She was picked to appeal to men? aruable
She was picked for her looks? Yes she was. Jessica publicly announced it!

Jessica publicly announced it. Doesn't that mean anything to you? for me personally it's just another reminder that Korea isn't England or American or Germany etc. You need to apply some culteral context to the sitaution as I said earlier Let's not forget Korea is on the other side of the planet, being attractive in Korea is a big deal, seeking beauty isn't looked at as being something shallow or insubstantial.


Cultural context is important, I agree, but it is not an excuse. It's hard to argue for cultural relativism in a globalised world and the starcraft scene of wich this is a part goes far beyond Korea. In particular, this picture is not just presented to Koreans but to us as well und is thus not just a part of their culture but of ours as well. I do not see good looks as virtuous because I do not think it is a conscious decision to look good and if Koreans think otherwise (I trust you on this) then I have to disagree because I do not see how these values could exist independently of each other today.

Also, I do not have a problem with "schemes" to exercise womens rights publicly. My problem is that this appears to be one while it is actually reinforcing unfair rolemodels.

Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 21:15 Novalisk wrote:

Sex appeal isn't the only appeal. If a grandmaster girl came around, men would like her even if she wasn't a looker.


That's not the point. It's about putting pretty girls in positions where Grandmasters girls are supposed to be.



I understand that it's a global league for a global audience but just becausing GSL is gaining viewers from oversees doesnt mean they studenly gain knowledge of all the countries they broadcast to. Take for example the constant spelling and grammitical errors that pop up all the time. This alone makes me think the bridge between us and them has a few holes, things are getting lost in translation.
Regarding whether these values of beauty still exist, I really couldn't say. Spending a few months in korea I became really aware of the significant of being attractive. but maybe I was to generalising on that subject in my previous post. I'll let someone more deep-rooted in south korean society tackle that subject.

Here's an interesting post made earlier in the thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiognomy
Physiognomy has been pretty popular in Korea around 40 years ago, so about 2 generations ago. It's pretty much leftover from that popular belief. I think my mum still believes it.

DonkeyShot
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany63 Posts
July 14 2011 13:45 GMT
#357
On July 14 2011 22:30 Vul wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 22:02 DonkeyShot wrote:
On July 14 2011 21:03 CaptainTwig wrote:
On July 14 2011 20:11 DonkeyShot wrote:
Really questionable decision. It's incredible that this gets so much positive feedback.

Regardless of how well she can actually play, this is clearly a publicity move. That in itself wouldn't be too bad but:

1. It appears like a demonstration of equal opportunities and emancipation while
2. subversively reinforcing chauvinistic stereotypes by associating womens success with their appeal to men.

So it's not just sexist, it even disguises itself as the opposite. It puts womens success at the mercy of their appeal towards men, which is one of the most subtle and unfair prejudices towards women. And you cannot tell me that her looks and appeal to men did not play a role in her recruitment. They could have picked thousands of other girls. And if one tries to argue that one has to pick from the thousands of girls by some aspect, then making it her looks reinforces the picture of the dominance of male interest whether you want it or not.

The people here saying that her looks are not important are making it even worse, because they are acting as if this issue did not actually exist. Even if she plays well, it still reinforces the stereotype that only women who appeal to men can be successful. And the same is true for TossGirl.

You should rethink your enthusiasm.


'sexism' I think thats taking it a bit far. claiming this is a scheme to excisise womens rights publicly, I would say is closer to sexism my friend

She was picked to appeal to men? aruable
She was picked for her looks? Yes she was. Jessica publicly announced it!

Jessica publicly announced it. Doesn't that mean anything to you? for me personally it's just another reminder that Korea isn't England or American or Germany etc. You need to apply some culteral context to the sitaution as I said earlier Let's not forget Korea is on the other side of the planet, being attractive in Korea is a big deal, seeking beauty isn't looked at as being something shallow or insubstantial.


Cultural context is important, I agree, but it is not an excuse. It's hard to argue for cultural relativism in a globalised world and the starcraft scene of wich this is a part goes far beyond Korea. In particular, this picture is not just presented to Koreans but to us as well und is thus not just a part of their culture but of ours as well. I do not see good looks as virtuous because I do not think it is a conscious decision to look good and if Koreans think otherwise (I trust you on this) then I have to disagree because I do not see how these values could exist independently of each other today.

Also, I do not have a problem with "schemes" to exercise womens rights publicly. My problem is that this appears to be one while it is actually reinforcing unfair rolemodels.

On July 14 2011 21:15 Novalisk wrote:

Sex appeal isn't the only appeal. If a grandmaster girl came around, men would like her even if she wasn't a looker.


That's not the point. It's about putting pretty girls in positions where Grandmasters girls are supposed to be.


I see your point, but the thing is its not like there are all these potential pro females lurking in Korean GM league. I'm sure if there were, they would make it onto professional teams. This isn't stopping any women from participating in SC2.

Plus its an entertainment industry, attractiveness is going to play a role at some point. Did you see those pictures of the GSL players in makeup?

Ed: typo


I'm not as worried about the poor grandmasters girls as I am about female stereotypes in general. Girls are not actively hindered in competing. But what are they to make of the impression that you are supposed to be pretty if you want to be a public member of this community?

And I'll happily criticise the entertainment industry as a whole for reinforcing the importance of good looks, not just for women but people in general.
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
July 14 2011 13:48 GMT
#358
I'm gonna reserve judgement after watching a few series with her

really hopes she can take some games, so it won't seem like a "stunt" as i feel it is atm

best of luck to her and SlayerS
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
iamho
Profile Joined June 2009
United States3347 Posts
July 14 2011 13:48 GMT
#359
Haha this is for real? My guess is that she'll become a mascot like tossgirl who gets to play 3 games a season to maintain her credibility (and she will probably lose them all, of course).
KentHenry
Profile Joined August 2010
United States260 Posts
July 14 2011 13:49 GMT
#360
On July 14 2011 22:37 Olinim wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 22:36 KentHenry wrote:
All I'm going to say is that men will always be superior to women at things they do, for example sports. I'm not saying women don't contribute anything to society, it's just that men tend to be more athletic and superior at almost everything. Good luck to her though, Eve fighting!!!

On a side note: I hope she pwns Idra, Destiny and any other cocky player. I ♥ Idra, even though he's cocky. ^^

...Why so sexist?


Just being honest. lol
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 243
TaKeTV 167
SteadfastSC107
LamboSC253
Rex15
EnkiAlexander 9
ComeBackTV 9
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy7
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech147
SteadfastSC 107
LamboSC2 53
Rex 15
BRAT_OK 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36522
Shuttle 3012
Horang2 1087
Bisu 931
Jaedong 719
Mini 580
EffOrt 505
Light 428
BeSt 358
firebathero 346
[ Show more ]
Hyuk 314
Soma 304
Stork 258
ggaemo 188
Snow 168
Zeus 166
Rush 157
ZerO 141
Last 141
Pusan 91
Leta 82
hero 78
Sea.KH 60
Killer 60
sorry 54
Sharp 44
Mong 39
Mind 34
Sexy 30
Shinee 29
Aegong 28
Shine 25
Bale 23
Terrorterran 23
ToSsGirL 22
Trap 22
soO 19
Yoon 15
Free 15
PianO 15
NotJumperer 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
JulyZerg 9
HiyA 8
Noble 7
Icarus 7
Sacsri 6
zelot 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4774
qojqva1775
Dendi972
420jenkins72
Fuzer 8
League of Legends
Reynor95
Counter-Strike
x6flipin804
markeloff135
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2011
crisheroes1011
XaKoH 163
Other Games
gofns37405
singsing2160
olofmeister1379
B2W.Neo898
Mlord226
DeMusliM192
Livibee179
Liquid`VortiX103
Mew2King95
ArmadaUGS95
QueenE88
Hui .75
Chillindude17
ZerO(Twitch)11
Railgan9
fpsfer 0
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 59
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1828
League of Legends
• Jankos2144
• TFBlade741
Other Games
• WagamamaTV194
Upcoming Events
OSC
10h 55m
Stellar Fest
23h 55m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 20h
Online Event
1d 21h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.