• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:26
CEST 06:26
KST 13:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8006 users

GOMTV hiring additional casters for GSL - Page 25

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next All
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 09:18:19
June 22 2011 08:59 GMT
#481
On June 22 2011 17:55 papaz wrote:
Completely off-topic:

Do you make a living on SC2 or do you have day-job as well?

Just curious...


SC2 is a small part of my total income which all comes from my YT channel and website. My other material generates 3-5 times the revenue of SC2. SC2 tends to be fairly expensive tbh, I probably broke even on Dreamhack thanks to being able to VoD to YT but quite a lot of these events don't pay expenses and if they do, don't pay fees to casters. I know Apollo and Day9 were catered to in that regard though so you don't need to worry about them.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
Adebisi
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1637 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 09:18:00
June 22 2011 09:15 GMT
#482
On June 22 2011 17:44 TotalBiscuit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2011 13:17 Adebisi wrote:

You really jump around here, and while I agree with much of what you say, I will say I think you have a bit of a 1 dimensional attitude. To you, going to cast Code A means giving up basically the rest of your livelihood and taking a job in Korea, casting, and supporting your family through that, which I understand, obviously you have certain commitments. For many others, its an opportunity to spend a few months living and working in a foreign country with an amazingly unique and rich culture as well as unreal cuisine, in an industry to love, getting a taste of what can only be considered the Mecca of Starcraft; its not about the money.
Frankly I'm amazed more popular people haven't jumped at the idea, obviously its a big step to go out to Korea, and some people have specific loyalties or commitments to building the foreign scene, but this isn't a 5 year sentence, its a sick opportunity.

tldr; perhaps casting in Korea is a young man's game, as old and bitter as Artosis sounds sometimes xD


The 1 dimensional attitude is a practical one. Code A is a "job" for those who can afford to take it and don't have a lot to lose. The pay sucks, you have to pay for your flight there, accomodation if you can't get in the GOM house (and if you can, you are staying with like 10 other guys which for some is not preferable), there is a massive language barrier and it's a lot of work for minimum compensation.

More popular people haven't jumped on it precisely BECAUSE they have specific loyalties and commitments. Code A is best suited to bachelors with nothing tying them down. You can't support a family on "love" for Starcraft alone so for many of us, even considering Code A would be ridiculously irresponsible. Trying to paint it as a lack of commitment to the scene rather than a realistic, sensible decision to not do something rash and impractical, is fairly silly.


I think you're looking at your own individual case and applying it to all casters a bit too much... For you, casting is your livelihood, but you've also said your SC2 work would in no way support you, and its the WoW and other game content that primarily allows you to do this.Furthermore, you also support a family, which other major casters do this? djWHEAT is the only one I can think of, I know CatsPajamas, Diggity and DoA are all married, but none have kids AFAIK and we aren't living in the 1920s here. The point I'm trying to make is while you see living with other people, a language barrier, "a lot of work" and maybe even nasty cuisine as reasons not to go, other people may see them as reasons to go, and it's the minority of casters who have families to support, and an even bigger minority of casters who support their families by casting. What is practical for you is not necessarily what is practical for other people. Most casters don't need to make a lot of money, they just need to make enough money to pay for their plane tickets and food wihle in Korea, maybe you know something I don't about how much the salary is.

Trying to paint it as a lack of commitment to the scene rather than a realistic, sensible decision to not do something rash and impractical, is fairly silly

I'm not sure what you're trying to say where, maybe you misunderstand me, or I misunderstand you? I don't think I ever said that popular casters not wanting to Code A is a lack of commitment to the scene?
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
June 22 2011 09:21 GMT
#483
On June 22 2011 18:15 Adebisi wrote:
I think you're looking at your own individual case and applying it to all casters a bit too much... For you, casting is your livelihood, but you've also said your SC2 work would in no way support you, and its the WoW and other game content that primarily allows you to do this.Furthermore, you also support a family, which other major casters do this? djWHEAT is the only one I can think of, I know CatsPajamas, Diggity and DoA are all married, but none have kids AFAIK and we aren't living in the 1920s here. The point I'm trying to make is while you see living with other people, a language barrier, "a lot of work" and maybe even nasty cuisine as reasons not to go, other people may see them as reasons to go, and it's the minority of casters who have families to support, and an even bigger minority of casters who support their families by casting. What is practical for you is not necessarily what is practical for other people. Most casters don't need to make a lot of money, they just need to make enough money to pay for their plane tickets and food wihle in Korea, maybe you know something I don't about how much the salary is.


I could say the same thing about you in regard to looking only at your individual case. To be honest, doing Code A is not so much a job as it is a Pilgrimage and Pilgrimages often involve sacrifice.

As regards to the salary, well that's NDAed.


I'm not sure what you're trying to say where, maybe you misunderstand me, or I misunderstand you? I don't think I ever said that popular casters not wanting to Code A is a lack of commitment to the scene?


Ahh well in that case I was reading into something that wasn't there, my apologies.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
aebriol
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway2066 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 10:45:30
June 22 2011 09:36 GMT
#484
The casters I've enjoyed the most so far have been Wolf (by quite a bit), and then Kelly I guess ... my problem with Kelly is that I find her hard to understand, most likely since english isn't my native language, I have problems understanding someone speaking it when they are fluent, and therefore speak fast, but have a very weird (to me) accent.

Moletrap I thought just didn't work very well with his partners, and he didn't understand well what was going on in the game. I guess he just haven't had as much experience with the game as with brood:war, but that really showed in his casting imho.

DoA was okayish, but kind of boring to me. Not sure how else to say it. He wasn't bad, and he suffered (imho) a bit from partnering with Moletrap it seemed.

I value game knowledge, understanding and recognize builds and what's going on in the game, more than being entertaining though, so that makes me biased in that direction.

I'd think both Khaldor and Adebisi ought to be given a shot, as I've found them entertaining in the past. I would also have liked HD if he wanted to, but I don't think he would.
Rylaji
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden580 Posts
June 22 2011 15:13 GMT
#485
As long as Moletrap does not cast ever again I am happy.
Official Fan of; Obama oGs.MC // God of War ST.JulyZerg // d.Naniwa // ST.Squirtle // SlayerS_Alicia // Emperor SlayerS_BoxeR // EG.HuK // White-Ra // MarineKing.Prime.WE // oGs.NaDa's Body // SlayerS.MMA // MvP.DongRaeGu
Copymizer
Profile Joined November 2010
Denmark2108 Posts
June 22 2011 15:59 GMT
#486
I hope they're gonna pick Khaldor. Wouldn't that be the first European caster ever in Korea too?
~~Yo man ! MBCGame HERO Fighting !! Holy check !
Maliris
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Northern Ireland2557 Posts
June 22 2011 16:48 GMT
#487
as long as they don't pick totalbiscuit it's all good
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
robatw
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany55 Posts
June 22 2011 21:49 GMT
#488
trump fighting. i hope you get it trump!
hmunkey
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom1973 Posts
June 22 2011 21:53 GMT
#489
On June 22 2011 18:21 TotalBiscuit wrote:
As regards to the salary, well that's NDAed.

So in other words the crux of your entire argument is something you don't even have a figure for? Excellent job; I just love it when people make things up.
tymt
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden293 Posts
June 22 2011 21:55 GMT
#490
my vote goes to eleine sun!
Rarak
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia631 Posts
June 22 2011 21:56 GMT
#491
On June 22 2011 12:59 Gamegene wrote:
I would love to see HD getting this gig so he doesn't have to work a day job anymore. GOWINSPIN!


God no please. HD literally knows nothing about the players or the game for that matter, If anything his knowledge has regressed from the beta.
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
June 22 2011 21:57 GMT
#492
On June 23 2011 06:53 hmunkey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2011 18:21 TotalBiscuit wrote:
As regards to the salary, well that's NDAed.

So in other words the crux of your entire argument is something you don't even have a figure for? Excellent job; I just love it when people make things up.


The crux of the argument is that I have a figure I can't tell you.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
RusHXceL
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1004 Posts
June 22 2011 21:59 GMT
#493
Day9 go to Korea.
Rarak
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia631 Posts
June 22 2011 22:02 GMT
#494
Khaldor would be a good choice.
hmunkey
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom1973 Posts
June 22 2011 22:10 GMT
#495
On June 23 2011 06:57 TotalBiscuit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 06:53 hmunkey wrote:
On June 22 2011 18:21 TotalBiscuit wrote:
As regards to the salary, well that's NDAed.

So in other words the crux of your entire argument is something you don't even have a figure for? Excellent job; I just love it when people make things up.


The crux of the argument is that I have a figure I can't tell you.

So basically, you agreed to an NDA about the salary with GOM but you then decided to start whining about how shitty said salary is for someone in your current position. Seriously?

I honestly see more whiney drivel from you in the community than actual content, and it's seriously off-putting. I don't know how else to say it so I'll just be blunt: grow the fuck up. You're an adult with a family and a public position in the community. Stop finding any excuse to complain or act like a victim. No other caster does it, no player does it, and it's just embarrassing.

User was temp banned for this post.
wzzit
Profile Joined February 2011
United States201 Posts
June 22 2011 23:11 GMT
#496
On June 23 2011 07:10 hmunkey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 06:57 TotalBiscuit wrote:
On June 23 2011 06:53 hmunkey wrote:
On June 22 2011 18:21 TotalBiscuit wrote:
As regards to the salary, well that's NDAed.

So in other words the crux of your entire argument is something you don't even have a figure for? Excellent job; I just love it when people make things up.


The crux of the argument is that I have a figure I can't tell you.

So basically, you agreed to an NDA about the salary with GOM but you then decided to start whining about how shitty said salary is for someone in your current position. Seriously?

I honestly see more whiney drivel from you in the community than actual content, and it's seriously off-putting. I don't know how else to say it so I'll just be blunt: grow the fuck up. You're an adult with a family and a public position in the community. Stop finding any excuse to complain or act like a victim. No other caster does it, no player does it, and it's just embarrassing.


I don't see how TB is "whining" about anything. All he did was point out that GOM's code A casters don't get paid enough to support a family man with financial obligations other than himself and that the position was best suited for bachelors. He hasn't criticized the opportunity or anybody who decides to take it. And there's nothing he said that's close to breaking an NDA agreement.

On a side note, I hope that Khaldor or Trump get the job. Is there a list of current candidates around somewhere? I'm really curious to find out who's actually on it :|
dinex
Profile Joined February 2011
1 Post
June 22 2011 23:17 GMT
#497
On June 23 2011 07:10 hmunkey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 06:57 TotalBiscuit wrote:
On June 23 2011 06:53 hmunkey wrote:
On June 22 2011 18:21 TotalBiscuit wrote:
As regards to the salary, well that's NDAed.

So in other words the crux of your entire argument is something you don't even have a figure for? Excellent job; I just love it when people make things up.


The crux of the argument is that I have a figure I can't tell you.

So basically, you agreed to an NDA about the salary with GOM but you then decided to start whining about how shitty said salary is for someone in your current position. Seriously?

I honestly see more whiney drivel from you in the community than actual content, and it's seriously off-putting. I don't know how else to say it so I'll just be blunt: grow the fuck up. You're an adult with a family and a public position in the community. Stop finding any excuse to complain or act like a victim. No other caster does it, no player does it, and it's just embarrassing.


You're the one embarassing yourself here. All he did was explain why the job wasn't interesting to him after several people had brought up his name in this thread. I like that kind of inside info. If you don't, then don't read it and stop whining.
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
June 23 2011 00:10 GMT
#498
This is the reason we try and avoid discussing the business side of things, people tend to get upset
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
Rinnegan5
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands319 Posts
June 23 2011 01:01 GMT
#499
TB where was your tophat at Dreamhack! You gonna be a Sirscoots look alike in a few years
cpmoney
Profile Joined September 2010
34 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-23 01:41:45
June 23 2011 01:40 GMT
#500
On June 23 2011 07:10 hmunkey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 06:57 TotalBiscuit wrote:
On June 23 2011 06:53 hmunkey wrote:
On June 22 2011 18:21 TotalBiscuit wrote:
As regards to the salary, well that's NDAed.

So in other words the crux of your entire argument is something you don't even have a figure for? Excellent job; I just love it when people make things up.


The crux of the argument is that I have a figure I can't tell you.

So basically, you agreed to an NDA about the salary with GOM but you then decided to start whining about how shitty said salary is for someone in your current position. Seriously?


Agreed.


TotalBiscuit outright said "The pay sucks." If you aren't supposed to talk about it, then don't.
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 233
NeuroSwarm 213
ProTech128
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18601
Dewaltoss 162
Bale 51
Terrorterran 22
Noble 7
Icarus 3
League of Legends
JimRising 804
Counter-Strike
taco 260
Other Games
summit1g11606
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1309
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 25
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota292
League of Legends
• Lourlo1198
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 34m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
6h 34m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 34m
Replay Cast
18h 34m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 6h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.