• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:34
CEST 11:34
KST 18:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9113 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 92

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 90 91 92 93 94 119 Next
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
November 02 2009 06:41 GMT
#1821
On November 02 2009 12:52 SoleSteeler wrote:
Speaking of neck/shoulder stuff... Ever since I started working out, I've always done military presses. Now, however, as I increase my weight lifted.... I find my neck really hurts the day after. I don't really understand why, either. I do them sitting down (as I've always done). I guess obviously I'm doing something wrong. It seems like such a simple exercise though, so I don't understand what I'm doing incorrectly. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?


I'd have to see your form.

But you should try to do some neck stretches (traps, levator scap, etc.) and possibly get a massage to loosen up the tissue. That will probably help.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
November 02 2009 07:50 GMT
#1822
Just got back from the gym - im very proud to say that despite been quite a bit lighter, I still managed the same weights as last week, with good form. Success!
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
November 02 2009 10:26 GMT
#1823
I have gained a lot of weight. A scary amount. I'm 5'9 and 159.8 pounds (or 175cm and 72.5kg). I'm almost overweight now! My BMI is 23.6 which is on the higher end of the normal weight category. I'm going to start dieting a bit now. It's for my abdominal fat to go as well.
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-02 10:33:01
November 02 2009 10:32 GMT
#1824
On November 02 2009 12:04 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2009 07:32 Patriot.dlk wrote:
eshlow out of curiosity what's wrong with upright rows?

[image loading]


Is above what you speak of?

I did pullups today and it felt very good.


Some people have the type of shoulders where they injure very easily with upright rows, and behind the neck pullups, etc. which put the shoulder in a vulnerable position at the edge of its range of motion.

If they feel fine to you I would say do them... but honestly why do them when there's other good exercises that don't potentially have the same injury potential?


I don't do them I was mostly curious. I did however do assisted pull-ups (assisted) yesterday and i liked it. Today I'm sore in a good way, so thanks for recommending it.

I also tried doing alot of exercises using a gym ball and I liked that too. What do you feel about those?

adding picture again since I'm so unsure of proper names for everything (especially in english)
[image loading]
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-02 11:08:07
November 02 2009 11:01 GMT
#1825
Anybody have any good compound lifts? Calisthenics that I can do at home to work my lats for swimming would be nice too (I don't have equipment at my house)...


[image loading]


I want lats like that.
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
November 02 2009 11:04 GMT
#1826
On November 02 2009 19:32 Patriot.dlk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2009 12:04 eshlow wrote:
On November 02 2009 07:32 Patriot.dlk wrote:
eshlow out of curiosity what's wrong with upright rows?

[image loading]


Is above what you speak of?

I did pullups today and it felt very good.


Some people have the type of shoulders where they injure very easily with upright rows, and behind the neck pullups, etc. which put the shoulder in a vulnerable position at the edge of its range of motion.

If they feel fine to you I would say do them... but honestly why do them when there's other good exercises that don't potentially have the same injury potential?


I don't do them I was mostly curious. I did however do assisted pull-ups (assisted) yesterday and i liked it. Today I'm sore in a good way, so thanks for recommending it.

I also tried doing alot of exercises using a gym ball and I liked that too. What do you feel about those?

adding picture again since I'm so unsure of proper names for everything (especially in english)
[image loading]


Gym balls are good and all if you're after general stability and strength but you won't get that much stronger after all because there are no weights.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
November 02 2009 11:06 GMT
#1827
On November 02 2009 20:01 madnessman wrote:
Anybody have any good compound lifts? Calisthenics that I can do at home to work my lats for swimming would be nice too (I don't have equipment at my house)...


Um, deadlifts using whatever heavy object. Same with squats.

Also if you want to work your back obviously pullups/pushups. And then you can do a reverse bench press where you drag yourself up the bar instead of pushing it away. If you find a good place to do it at home
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
November 02 2009 11:09 GMT
#1828
On November 02 2009 12:04 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2009 07:32 Patriot.dlk wrote:
eshlow out of curiosity what's wrong with upright rows?

[image loading]


Is above what you speak of?

I did pullups today and it felt very good.


Some people have the type of shoulders where they injure very easily with upright rows, and behind the neck pullups, etc. which put the shoulder in a vulnerable position at the edge of its range of motion.

If they feel fine to you I would say do them... but honestly why do them when there's other good exercises that don't potentially have the same injury potential?


This is true. And while we're at it, with this exercise (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.html) don't go higher up than almost horizontal arms.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
November 02 2009 11:10 GMT
#1829
Foucault I did use weights for some of the exercises and also static training as in just holding your balance is surely worth something?

Naturally I do weights as well the gym ball is just another thing in the mix
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
November 02 2009 11:13 GMT
#1830
On November 02 2009 20:10 Patriot.dlk wrote:
Foucault I did use weights for some of the exercises and also static training as in just holding your balance is surely worth something?

Naturally I do weights as well the gym ball is just another thing in the mix


Yeah like I said the ball is fine but won't make you much stronger in most exercises. You can't do deadlifts, bench press (with "normal" weights) and alot of other exercises with the ball, so for the core area purposes it's really good; back and abs. Balance training is of course good as well, it all depends on your goals.

For back/abs I highly recommend it.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
HwangjaeTerran
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Finland5967 Posts
November 02 2009 11:28 GMT
#1831
On November 02 2009 20:09 Foucault wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2009 12:04 eshlow wrote:
On November 02 2009 07:32 Patriot.dlk wrote:
eshlow out of curiosity what's wrong with upright rows?

[image loading]


Is above what you speak of?

I did pullups today and it felt very good.


Some people have the type of shoulders where they injure very easily with upright rows, and behind the neck pullups, etc. which put the shoulder in a vulnerable position at the edge of its range of motion.

If they feel fine to you I would say do them... but honestly why do them when there's other good exercises that don't potentially have the same injury potential?


This is true. And while we're at it, with this exercise (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.html) don't go higher up than almost horizontal arms.


It is indeed true, push ups are incredibly hard for me because of my shoulders, that´s why I had to get handweights to exercise with.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/*tlusernamehere*/
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
November 02 2009 11:35 GMT
#1832
lol naturally I can't do deadlifts or bench press with it :D I also can't go for a swim with it, or I guess I could but It might be useless since the ball probably floats and minds it own business.

Seriously though I do a normal 3-4 days / week training with weights and 2 days of cardio. I just added the ball to one of my cardio days and I did a lot of various things for 30 minutes or so.

I might start to do abs with the ball together with my current routine or replace something since you recommended it I will definitely try to do strict abs sets next time.



unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-02 11:43:41
November 02 2009 11:43 GMT
#1833
On November 02 2009 20:01 madnessman wrote:
Anybody have any good compound lifts? Calisthenics that I can do at home to work my lats for swimming would be nice too (I don't have equipment at my house)...
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


I want lats like that.

pull ups dude, can't go wrong with those
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
November 02 2009 11:44 GMT
#1834
On November 02 2009 20:35 Patriot.dlk wrote:
lol naturally I can't do deadlifts or bench press with it :D I also can't go for a swim with it, or I guess I could but It might be useless since the ball probably floats and minds it own business.

Seriously though I do a normal 3-4 days / week training with weights and 2 days of cardio. I just added the ball to one of my cardio days and I did a lot of various things for 30 minutes or so.

I might start to do abs with the ball together with my current routine or replace something since you recommended it I will definitely try to do strict abs sets next time.


Yeah which is why I described it's quite big limitations when it comes to strength training.

It's very good for core exercises. Also crunches don't do that much for your abs after a little while. You will need to up the weights with different exercises/machines. However it's good to train core stability always, since alot of people have weak abs/lower back.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
November 02 2009 12:44 GMT
#1835
I'd say it's pretty obvious that one big ball can't replace everything and thus is as limited as most other tools.

Currently I do 5 different exercises for my abs. abs pull downs (Not sure if that's what you would call it), two machines one were you pull down and one where you have support to your chest and you turn side to side. If I have any strength left I do crunches.

I also use
[image loading]
one of those sometimes.

I like to swap exercises rather often though and that's when I thought of the ball.

Sfydjklm
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States9218 Posts
November 02 2009 13:01 GMT
#1836
On November 02 2009 12:04 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2009 07:32 Patriot.dlk wrote:
eshlow out of curiosity what's wrong with upright rows?

[image loading]


Is above what you speak of?

I did pullups today and it felt very good.


Some people have the type of shoulders where they injure very easily with upright rows, and behind the neck pullups, etc. which put the shoulder in a vulnerable position at the edge of its range of motion.

If they feel fine to you I would say do them... but honestly why do them when there's other good exercises that don't potentially have the same injury potential?

we'll that's why you should be doing upright row on a smith machine. that greatly reduces the risk factor.
twitter.com/therealdhalism | "Trying out Z = lots of losses vs inferior players until you figure out how to do it well (if it even works)."- Liquid'Tyler
Sfydjklm
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States9218 Posts
November 02 2009 13:06 GMT
#1837
i also noticed that you do not have rosstraining.com in op?
thats best site there is. in fact Ross has replied to all the emails i sent him.
should also cover everything about excersizing there is to cover as well.
why do i always try to spell exercise that way? sigh.
twitter.com/therealdhalism | "Trying out Z = lots of losses vs inferior players until you figure out how to do it well (if it even works)."- Liquid'Tyler
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
November 02 2009 14:05 GMT
#1838
On November 02 2009 22:06 Sfydjklm wrote:
i also noticed that you do not have rosstraining.com in op?
thats best site there is. in fact Ross has replied to all the emails i sent him.
should also cover everything about excersizing there is to cover as well.
why do i always try to spell exercise that way? sigh.

whao. i just discovered that site yesterday when i saw his jump rope video. it's ridiculously awesome.



i did another tabata protocol on the bike machine today. i was planning on doing a bricks workout (bike and run non-stop) to train for my triathlon but (excuse my language here) the tabata on the bike really fucked up my legs. i couldn't even walk to the water fountain and back properly. so i took like a 5 minute break before i did a really short jog.
Sfydjklm
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States9218 Posts
November 02 2009 14:11 GMT
#1839
On November 02 2009 22:06 Sfydjklm wrote:
i also noticed that you do not have rosstraining.com in op?
thats best site there is. in fact Ross has replied to all the emails i sent him.
should also cover everything about excersizing there is to cover as well.
why do i always try to spell exercise that way? sigh.


exercising at home that is
twitter.com/therealdhalism | "Trying out Z = lots of losses vs inferior players until you figure out how to do it well (if it even works)."- Liquid'Tyler
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
November 02 2009 14:32 GMT
#1840
6 More days until I fly out, I'm going to do another 5 days of ketogenic hoping to lose 1kg, I'm going to have to take in a butt load of protein and do some heavy ass squats and deadlifts over the next couple of days making sure I lose no muscle mass.

I'm getting on that plane a ripped nerd baller.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Prev 1 90 91 92 93 94 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
firebathero 2417
Bisu 531
Hyuk 436
Killer 117
Larva 101
EffOrt 87
Dewaltoss 84
Leta 84
Sexy 83
Soma 69
[ Show more ]
ZerO 66
ToSsGirL 48
BeSt 47
Light 43
soO 42
Yoon 34
Sharp 34
Aegong 29
Bale 22
Sacsri 21
Shinee 15
sorry 15
Hm[arnc] 14
NaDa 14
Rush 12
JulyZerg 8
Terrorterran 3
Britney 1
Dota 2
Fuzer 138
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1072
byalli802
kRYSTAL_34
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor962
crisheroes525
Other Games
gofns31113
singsing1493
olofmeister1027
ceh9673
Mew2King92
ArmadaUGS45
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream153
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2346
League of Legends
• Stunt390
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
3h 26m
OSC
12h 26m
CranKy Ducklings
1d
Online Event
1d 1h
FEL
1d 6h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.