• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:45
CEST 19:45
KST 02:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7511 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 82

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 80 81 82 83 84 119 Next
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
October 23 2009 19:28 GMT
#1621
Muscle construction is really energy intensive.

Although protein is a worse storage of energy than fat is. The idea behind 500 kcal/day being equivalent is that it comes out to 3500 kcal/week. If we assume pure fat metabolism that comes out to about 400 grams of fat or less than 446 grams that is in a pound. Throw in some carbohydrate and protein metabolism and a little water loss and it's about a pound.

Gaining weight is a little bit different, you need more calories because it take energy to digest, metabolise, and package for storage or synthesised into muscle mass. Some calories like proteins are impossible to store and must be metabolized or synthesised.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
ShaLLoW[baY]
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada12499 Posts
October 24 2009 02:15 GMT
#1622
In hindsight, I'm going to link my blog here for any fitness aficionados who feel like giving me a hand:
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=104299

Thanks in advance!
ALEXISONFIRE ARE FUCKING BACK (sAviOr for life)
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-24 04:38:47
October 24 2009 03:34 GMT
#1623
On October 24 2009 11:15 ShaLLoW[baY] wrote:
In hindsight, I'm going to link my blog here for any fitness aficionados who feel like giving me a hand:
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=104299

Thanks in advance!


I'd go with grease the groove for the pushups and situps.

Heavy lifting (deadlifts, power cleans, heavy squats) for the broad jump & agility.

Then sprint intervals for the beep test
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
October 24 2009 04:00 GMT
#1624
For broad jump and agility I would do plyometrics. It's supposed to help with explosiveness which is important for the broad jump and agility run.

Muscular power is determined by how long it takes for strength to be converted into speed. The ability to convert strength to speed in a very short time allows for athletic movements beyond what raw strength will allow. Thus an athlete who has strong legs and can perform the freeweight squat with extremely heavy weights over a long duration may get less distance on a standing long jump or height on a vertical leap than a weaker athlete who is able to generate a smaller amount of force but in a shorter amount of time. The plyometrically trained athlete may have a lower maximal force output, and thus may not squat as much, but his training allows him to shorten the amount of time required to reach his maximum force output, leading to more power from each contraction.



Speaking of military training... I need to be able to do:

Situps in 1 minute: 40
Standing Broad jump: 243
Pullups: 12
4x10m shuttle run: 10.1 sec
2.4km run: 10:20

I'm pretty sure I can do the situps consistently and I've done over 243cm before on the broad jump but I'm scared for pullups and running.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-24 04:38:28
October 24 2009 04:36 GMT
#1625
On October 24 2009 13:00 madnessman wrote:
For broad jump and agility I would do plyometrics. It's supposed to help with explosiveness which is important for the broad jump and agility run.

Show nested quote +
Muscular power is determined by how long it takes for strength to be converted into speed. The ability to convert strength to speed in a very short time allows for athletic movements beyond what raw strength will allow. Thus an athlete who has strong legs and can perform the freeweight squat with extremely heavy weights over a long duration may get less distance on a standing long jump or height on a vertical leap than a weaker athlete who is able to generate a smaller amount of force but in a shorter amount of time. The plyometrically trained athlete may have a lower maximal force output, and thus may not squat as much, but his training allows him to shorten the amount of time required to reach his maximum force output, leading to more power from each contraction.



Speaking of military training... I need to be able to do:

Situps in 1 minute: 40
Standing Broad jump: 243
Pullups: 12
4x10m shuttle run: 10.1 sec
2.4km run: 10:20

I'm pretty sure I can do the situps consistently and I've done over 243cm before on the broad jump but I'm scared for pullups and running.


1. No. Plyometrics is, in general, about increasing reactive ability. So improving contact explosiveness in dynamic movements such as sprinting, running jumps, etc.

This will not help improve broad jump or strict vertical leap (both static start) much if at all.

2. Grease the groove for pullups, situps

Deadlifts, power cleans, heavy squats, for your broad jump and shuttle

Run.. you're going to have to run. I'd recommend a mix of 600m intervals and tempo runs. Well, honestly structure of training depends on how far out the exam is.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
October 24 2009 05:10 GMT
#1626
Read the quote. It specifically states that "an athlete who has strong legs and can perform the freeweight squat with extremely heavy weights over a long duration may get less distance on a standing long jump or height on a vertical leap than a weaker athlete who is able to generate a smaller amount of force but in a shorter amount of time".

Does anybody here drink green tea?

These findings suggest that green tea catechin consumption enhances exercise-induced changes in abdominal fat and serum TG.


http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19074207
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 24 2009 05:30 GMT
#1627
On October 24 2009 14:10 madnessman wrote:
Read the quote. It specifically states that "an athlete who has strong legs and can perform the freeweight squat with extremely heavy weights over a long duration may get less distance on a standing long jump or height on a vertical leap than a weaker athlete who is able to generate a smaller amount of force but in a shorter amount of time".

Does anybody here drink green tea?

Show nested quote +
These findings suggest that green tea catechin consumption enhances exercise-induced changes in abdominal fat and serum TG.


http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19074207


I read the quote.

And especially for you guys who aren't that strong you'd be best focusing on heavy lifting.

But if you want to do plyo then more power to you.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
October 24 2009 05:47 GMT
#1628
"Some popular plyometric exercises - plyometrics are a great way to help increase your explosiveness and overall power. They allow you to transfer the strength you've gained (through weight lifting) to the floor by improving the neuromuscular junction between your brain and muscles"

You need both but whatever...

Green tea?
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 24 2009 07:46 GMT
#1629
better diet today. I havent had dinner yet, but ive surpassed 100 grams of protein (im having chicken for dinner and a protein shake later tonight, so ill make it to 180grams) and Ive had under 50graams of carb. Whoo. 4 litres of water? Check.

Thinks for getting me to do back extensions guys, the abs sessions just feel more complete.
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
October 24 2009 07:58 GMT
#1630
Woke up, had a 250kcal protein shake, something like 10grams of carbs in it, and a small handful of almonds. Hit the gym for around 3 hours working back and bis with some abs and swimming. Post workout protein shake, another 250 kcal. I'm stupid hungry, but I'm going to have a glass of water and a couple of green teas wait another hour and have about 300kcal worth of chicken and salad.

New personal dead lift record, 150kg, (330lb).

Vanity has such a high price to pay.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 24 2009 08:02 GMT
#1631
Thats a pretty crazy day mate. Im really impressed you can function on so little food (im struggling at about 1500calories, cut from 3000). Grats on the new record. When do we so those pics you promised, we need something new to drool over
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
October 24 2009 09:37 GMT
#1632
hmm. Well. I'm not currently satisfied with the results so I have been reluctant to post any photos, but if I must .

As you can see I still have lose skin around my stomach from the dramatic weight lost, I have no idea what I am going to do about it at the moment. And from the back you can see the remains of the love handles which I am desperately trying to get rid of.

+ Show Spoiler [Teh Horror!] +

November 2007
[image loading]


The spots all over my front and back. I had waxed a week before and it's slowly going away.

October 2009
[image loading]


[image loading]


"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 24 2009 10:23 GMT
#1633
Dude you look fantastic. Super amazing job. Really.

I think you just need to keep doing what you have been - you have achieved massive progress, and what you have been doing is working - so just keep it up and over time you will healthily reach your goals

Thanks for sharing.
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
October 24 2009 15:27 GMT
#1634
Yeah good job man. Good luck getting rid of the extra skin. It looks a little gross but it's a testament of to how much fat you've managed to lose.
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-24 15:47:06
October 24 2009 15:41 GMT
#1635
Energies you gangsta you

impressive fat loss. I'm thinking of ways to get rid of the skin, I think it will tighten up soon!

This is me btw. I want to put on some weight because I only weigh about 75-76 kg now and I'm 187 cm. However I'm having trouble with my back so heavy weight lifting is out of the picture for now.

[image loading]
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-24 16:44:34
October 24 2009 16:43 GMT
#1636
On October 24 2009 14:47 madnessman wrote:
"Some popular plyometric exercises - plyometrics are a great way to help increase your explosiveness and overall power. They allow you to transfer the strength you've gained (through weight lifting) to the floor by improving the neuromuscular junction between your brain and muscles"

You need both but whatever...

Green tea?


Yes and no.

Football players for example do not perform plyometrics (except for sprinting which is a plyometric exercise) and most of their training is either on field skill work, sprinting or heavy lifting. They have 10-11 ft broad jumps.

You don't NEED much if any plyometrics if you focus on heavy lifting and something like sprinting. The thing I don't like about plyometrics is you need separate sessions from your other lifting, and often days off to recovery as well. It's not something you're going to put into someone's beginner or even most intermediate routines to improve their reactive/explosive ability. Just not worth it.

But if you think it can help you by all means go ahead. I'm just giving you my advice from my experience.

IMO you guys are better off doing deadlifts, squats and power cleans and working on broad/vertical jump technique.

On October 25 2009 00:41 Foucault wrote:
Energies you gangsta you

impressive fat loss. I'm thinking of ways to get rid of the skin, I think it will tighten up soon!

This is me btw. I want to put on some weight because I only weigh about 75-76 kg now and I'm 187 cm. However I'm having trouble with my back so heavy weight lifting is out of the picture for now.


What's your injury?

There's always work arounds... but depending on what happened you should also do rehab work and such.

----------

Energies:

Skin is mostly fat (cell membranes made of phospholipids) so doing your cut down of weight with low carbs high fat should help with that.

Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Djabanete
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States2786 Posts
October 24 2009 16:51 GMT
#1637
Set a modest exercise goal. Held to it for 7 days and counting, despite schoolwork and late nights. Yay!
May the BeSt man win.
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
October 24 2009 16:55 GMT
#1638
On October 25 2009 01:43 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 25 2009 00:41 Foucault wrote:
Energies you gangsta you

impressive fat loss. I'm thinking of ways to get rid of the skin, I think it will tighten up soon!

This is me btw. I want to put on some weight because I only weigh about 75-76 kg now and I'm 187 cm. However I'm having trouble with my back so heavy weight lifting is out of the picture for now.


What's your injury?

There's always work arounds... but depending on what happened you should also do rehab work and such.


I'm not sure. I've been at this rehab guy and he gave me some exercises to use for my core-area. It's probably a combination of me working out alot (running/lifting weighs 5-6 days a week for a long time), and running alot with worn out runner's shoes.

I don't know to be honest. Got any ideas?
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
biomedical
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
235 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-24 17:32:19
October 24 2009 17:14 GMT
#1639
Foucault you are a bit similar to meeeeeeee altho i think much better. do you have thinner wrists than all girls? and your lower arm goes on forrrreevvverrrr? ill try to get a picture online somehow, maybe i can email it from my phone. wheres your body hair dude?????

energies does your body itch much after that?

today:
+ Show Spoiler +

shitty tiny busy gym is shitty so i decided to start with deadlift rather than wait 20 mins to do squats. i regret this, however, coz when i came to do my squats i TOTALLY failed!!!! pretty sure i gave myself enough resting time.... im beginning to understand why people cycle/rotate now.

1. deadlift 50, 60, 65 . will be careful next session and probably wont move up

2. bench press 32.5, 45, 47.5

3. squat 40, 45, struggled to do maybe a dozen at 45

pendlay barbell rows - asked another guy for help with these and i think ive finally got the right technique..... will probably resume these at 20kg

military press machine - had a go at some military standings for the first time but went back to the machine since atm its such a perfect weight to strain against for 3x5.

leg raises (abs) - i look like a douche doing these, can do like 4 with retarded form

incline weighted situps - i do ~3 every 15 minutes i suppose, so like 18 total....

biceps curl, "try" to do 3x5 12.5kg near/at end of workout. started laughing today when i saw a guy LITERALLY swinging them like a swing to bounce them up every time. was lol (fucker was bigger than me tho)


is my method of training abs acceptable? "incline weighted situps - i do 3-4 (to failure) every 15 minutes i suppose, so like 18 total.... "

i see people using crunch tool and doing dozens and dozens of situps but im 99% sure thats "wrong".

but bare in mind i have absolutely no muscle there, so would it be better to do more repetitions (more than ~3) for some reason?
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
October 24 2009 17:19 GMT
#1640
On October 25 2009 02:14 biomedical wrote:
Foucault you are a bit similar to meeeeeeee altho i think much better. do you have thinner wrists than all girls? and your lower arm goes on forrrreevvverrrr? ill try to get a picture online somehow, maybe i can email it from my phone. wheres your body hair dude?????

energies does your body itch much after that?


lol yeah, i got really thin wrists...I wish they were fatter though :D And my lower arms do go on forever

I don't do body hair I guess.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Prev 1 80 81 82 83 84 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2583
RotterdaM675
TaKeTV 306
IndyStarCraft 173
BRAT_OK 74
ZombieGrub35
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2641
RotterdaM 708
ByuN 379
IndyStarCraft 173
MaxPax 171
BRAT_OK 80
UpATreeSC 51
ZombieGrub35
RuFF_SC2 33
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3360
Shuttle 873
Mini 478
EffOrt 422
Rush 173
Dewaltoss 148
Mind 89
910 73
Zeus 70
HiyA 66
[ Show more ]
Shinee 60
hero 55
Bale 27
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 17
Sexy 10
zelot 10
Sacsri 8
scan(afreeca) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5619
qojqva2923
Counter-Strike
fl0m5245
pashabiceps791
Fnx 684
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2764
Other Games
singsing1985
Beastyqt798
ceh9672
mouzStarbuck247
XaKoH 121
C9.Mang074
QueenE72
Trikslyr65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 111
• StrangeGG 31
• Reevou 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV186
Other Games
• imaqtpie514
• Shiphtur296
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
5h 16m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 16m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
17h 16m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.