• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:09
CEST 22:09
KST 05:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7966 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 38

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 234 Next
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
April 25 2015 13:17 GMT
#741
@Najda

I'm really not a fan of 5/3/1. Benching and squatting once a week just doesn't work for me. This discussion already happened before, where many people said the program was ok and someone who tried it said it was a waste of time as I recall it.

@Ehzera

If you have been training regularly you just go and do it. I don't know man, are you up to it? Just do the program with your real 1 rep max, eat a lot and massage yourself. Bench on your off days. Only do the base cycle of smolov, the other parts are worthless.

The first time I did smolov my squat went from 150 to 170. The second one 170 to 190. If you add 15kg you have the entire year for the other 7,5kg and the record. Go for it!
Ehzera
Profile Blog Joined August 2014
Singapore212 Posts
April 25 2015 16:10 GMT
#742
I think I'll do the introductory microcycle, because my 145kg PR was actually this Monday, and I wanna make sure I'm all recovered too. Maybe I'll just do the first week of it tho and skip the 2nd.
“A tree without roots is just a piece of wood.” - Marco Pierre White
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-25 16:56:33
April 25 2015 16:56 GMT
#743
On April 25 2015 20:56 marvellosity wrote:
how tall are you Najda?


5'10"

On April 25 2015 22:17 GoTuNk! wrote:
@Najda

I'm really not a fan of 5/3/1. Benching and squatting once a week just doesn't work for me. This discussion already happened before, where many people said the program was ok and someone who tried it said it was a waste of time as I recall it.


What's a good frequency in your opinion? I was thinking of doing something Squat Bench Deadlift Bench Squat days in that order.

I'm sure any program will work well enough, eating is just the hard part for me. I'm already starting to plan out things I can prepare on sundays to eat for the week.
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-25 19:01:50
April 25 2015 17:01 GMT
#744
Done both Smolov and 5/3/1.

Smolov worked well for me, squatted every other day instead of going 4x in 7 days. Also added some KG's on my DL aswell afterwards which was a nice bonus. Just remember to take good care your skin on your back since it started to tear and bleed which made me stop it earlier than I had planned to.

5/3/1 was fine but what worked even better for me was switching it a bit up and do 3/5/1. But that program is IMO more to use between meets rather than prepare for a meet in the near future.

Today's workout:
DL: 170kg x 1.

First deadlift since forever and very very happy with how much of the strength remained.
Forever = prolly 2 years wut
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
April 25 2015 18:39 GMT
#745
On April 26 2015 01:56 Najda wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 25 2015 20:56 marvellosity wrote:
how tall are you Najda?


5'10"

Show nested quote +
On April 25 2015 22:17 GoTuNk! wrote:
@Najda

I'm really not a fan of 5/3/1. Benching and squatting once a week just doesn't work for me. This discussion already happened before, where many people said the program was ok and someone who tried it said it was a waste of time as I recall it.


What's a good frequency in your opinion? I was thinking of doing something Squat Bench Deadlift Bench Squat days in that order.

I'm sure any program will work well enough, eating is just the hard part for me. I'm already starting to plan out things I can prepare on sundays to eat for the week.


I'm of the opinion upper body work does not need a separate day. Compared to squatting and deadlifting, benching and other upper body accesories it's like a day on the beach in terms of effort.

I like the general scheme of: (SQ/DL include a variant of the main lift and accesory exercises from them)
off include stuff you want to try out, like curls

SQ/DL/off/SQ/off/DL
Bench/all the other accesories/off/Bench/all the other accesories/off

Currently doing:

M:
Paused Squats
Squat Walks
Bench
Front Lever progression/abs

T:
OHP
Deficit DL
Weighted Dips
Sumo DL

W:
Oly lifting for the lulz, overhead squats, various lying rows and weighted pull ups

T:
Regular Squats
Half Squats
Bench
Front Lever progression/abs

F;
OHP
Weighted Dips
Klokov Press

S:
DL and more DL
DL from the knee
Snatch Grip DL (was doing 1 leg DL previous weeks)
Grip work

Needless to say, as a begginer you don't have to spend 4 hours a day every day on the gym :D
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
April 25 2015 19:36 GMT
#746
I do lower body work on the same schedule as Gotunk but I have my benching on a separate day purely because it would be a rest day if i didnt and I'm around the gym (its at school) 6 days a week anyway, so why not. 4 days a week is a good setup.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
April 26 2015 12:51 GMT
#747
If you can squat a real 400 lbs and want to get as big as possible and as strong as possible as quickly as possible I recommend dog crapp training. I put on the most my mass in my life and added the most weight to the bar in every lift doing that program. If you are trying to compete in a weight class and just want to get super strong at a certain bodyweight then Gotunk's frequency probably best for most people. Lifts have to be practiced like any skill.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
April 26 2015 14:45 GMT
#748
Made my climb and back safely. Just. Weather took a turn for the worse just as we were approaching the peak. And holy shit was I done once we reached the peak. The last few meters I had to stop every 3 steps to catch breath.

This was when I briefly though I was going to die (imagine strong side winds):
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
April 26 2015 16:27 GMT
#749
Summer is right around the corner and you go and find the coldest spot in Europe, sometimes I wonder :p
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
April 26 2015 20:35 GMT
#750
Workouts for this week:

Monday
Squat - 195x6x3
Deadlift - 255x6x2
Front Squat - 165x3x4

Wednesday
Bench Press - 155x6x3
Barbell Row - 170x6x3
OHP - 115x6x3
Pullups - BW+35x6x1
Shrugs - 185x12x3
Lateral Raises - 20x12x3

Saturday
Spoto Press - 145x4x6
Pause Row - 135x4x6
OHP - 100x10x1
Pullups - BW+10x10x1
Dumbbell Curls - 25x12x3
Lateral Raises - 20x12x3

Sunday
Pause Squat - 160x4x6
Pause Deadlift - 215x4x3
Pistol Squat Progression - BWx12x3
Ab Wheel Rollouts - BWx12x3

+ Show Spoiler [summary of the workouts + moving forward] +
Long story short for these workouts, upper body progress has felt amazing while the lower body lifts have felt progressively tougher. The rows this week were tough admittedly, but every other lift felt pretty good. The spoto press seems to be really helpful for power at the bottom of the bench press (for anyone who doesn't know, a spoto press is a bench where you pause a few inches above the chest for a couple of seconds). My bench has felt stronger than ever and my OHP is continuing to go up really smoothly. Next week I should hopefully hit 120x6 on OHP, and maybe 102.5x10 on the control day. Pullups are progressing fine, and the accessory stuff isn't really too important.

The lower body lifts have been okay. Front squats were getting a bit too taxing after already doing squats and deadlifts, and I feel like I already got some use out of using them. I think pistol squats will be a nice quad exercise that's not too lower back intensive and will help me with my stability. Decided to throw some ab exercises back into the mix because I haven't really trained abs in a long time. I think I'll probably keep those in the rotation for the rest of the summer.

Deadlifts are getting to be pretty tough with the 15 lb/week progression, but hopefully I can make it through this cycle. If I make it to 300 lbs for six, I'll be ecstatic. I don't really think that's realistic, even though I've hit that weight before. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Really hoping I can hit a bodyweight overhead press and 1.5xbodyweight pullup before the summer ends. Those should be within reach I think.


So close to being done with school now. Then I have all the free time in the world to eat and lift :D
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-26 22:54:51
April 26 2015 22:50 GMT
#751
what is a pause deadlift?

Did 240kg beltless (PR), but could only do 5 reps with 210. No crowd might have affected me

I'm gonna start benching on the morning on monday/thursdays so the evening session isn't so long and to have more recovery time to my tuesday pressing session. Also to be able to do more gymnastics, will start doing the cross position progression.

On the front lever one after 2 weeks I can do the tucked plank for a long time but straightening my legs is really hard, my butt and quads are fucking heavy
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
April 26 2015 23:48 GMT
#752
On April 26 2015 03:39 GoTuNk! wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On April 26 2015 01:56 Najda wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 25 2015 20:56 marvellosity wrote:
how tall are you Najda?


5'10"

Show nested quote +
On April 25 2015 22:17 GoTuNk! wrote:
@Najda

I'm really not a fan of 5/3/1. Benching and squatting once a week just doesn't work for me. This discussion already happened before, where many people said the program was ok and someone who tried it said it was a waste of time as I recall it.


What's a good frequency in your opinion? I was thinking of doing something Squat Bench Deadlift Bench Squat days in that order.

I'm sure any program will work well enough, eating is just the hard part for me. I'm already starting to plan out things I can prepare on sundays to eat for the week.


I'm of the opinion upper body work does not need a separate day. Compared to squatting and deadlifting, benching and other upper body accesories it's like a day on the beach in terms of effort.

I like the general scheme of: (SQ/DL include a variant of the main lift and accesory exercises from them)
off include stuff you want to try out, like curls

SQ/DL/off/SQ/off/DL
Bench/all the other accesories/off/Bench/all the other accesories/off

Currently doing:

M:
Paused Squats
Squat Walks
Bench
Front Lever progression/abs

T:
OHP
Deficit DL
Weighted Dips
Sumo DL

W:
Oly lifting for the lulz, overhead squats, various lying rows and weighted pull ups

T:
Regular Squats
Half Squats
Bench
Front Lever progression/abs

F;
OHP
Weighted Dips
Klokov Press

S:
DL and more DL
DL from the knee
Snatch Grip DL (was doing 1 leg DL previous weeks)
Grip work

Needless to say, as a begginer you don't have to spend 4 hours a day every day on the gym :D


Thank you for writing this out, I'm definitely base my program around something like this.
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
April 26 2015 23:56 GMT
#753
On April 27 2015 07:50 GoTuNk! wrote:
what is a pause deadlift?

Rippetoe refers to them as "halting" deadlifts. Basically you start like you would with a normal deadlift, but as soon as you break off the ground you hold for a second or two and then finish the deadlift. Some people like Ben Rice use "double pause" deadlifts where they stop right off the ground and right above the knee and then finish the pull.

It actually helps me focus on the contraction in my hamstrings and keeping my spine neutral. Some people like them a lot (Jonnie Candito, Ben Rice) and others don't really use them at all.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
April 28 2015 02:26 GMT
#754
Can't believe it took me two weeks to figure out I have swimmers shoulder. Ugh. Any tips beyond what I can google? Only manifesting on my left but I'm going to guess my right isn't far behind.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
April 28 2015 02:53 GMT
#755
Shitloads of squats, 160x5 with pauses at the bottom
Dragon flag abs

And behold, the first powerlifter closing in to a front lever (phone didn't have battery for flash)


phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
April 28 2015 05:03 GMT
#756
Front lever AFTER dragon flags? beast.
SolaR-
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States2685 Posts
April 28 2015 09:43 GMT
#757
On April 21 2015 10:36 GoTuNk! wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2015 05:38 sJarl wrote:
Awesome GoTuNk!! No doubt the whole time.

Sounded like you were playing Amon Amarth in the background?


Yes, proper Deadlift music.

I will have the chance to bring stuff from USA free,

Could anyone recommend the best whey protein for bulk purchase ? (I usually buy whey on gold, it's super expensive though, buying a 20lb bag at the US would still be worth it for me)


create your own protein from here and buy in bulk. I would recommend trying beef protein isolate if you have any issues digesting whey.

www.truenutrition.com
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
April 29 2015 04:12 GMT
#758
I use truenutrition myself. Easily the best protein source I've ever had.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
April 29 2015 14:12 GMT
#759
Great quote from chaosandpain latest article:

"modern lifters spend more time programming and making excuses for their shit lifts than they actually spend lifting. They endlessly discuss their lack of progress, parse their programs, and nitpick their form, because doing all of that shit means they never actually have to exert themselves in the gym"
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
April 29 2015 14:20 GMT
#760
So does his critique apply to the reading of needlessly caustic fitness articles from websites with pathetically stupid names? If so, I agree.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 543
UpATreeSC 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 791
Dewaltoss 108
firebathero 81
Zeus 64
910 38
Trap 36
NaDa 28
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 18
Shine 13
Dota 2
Gorgc6562
420jenkins274
monkeys_forever99
Counter-Strike
edward92
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS149
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2222
Other Games
summit1g5576
Grubby2837
B2W.Neo679
Beastyqt639
shahzam415
byalli411
KnowMe158
TKL 144
C9.Mang0143
ToD107
Railgan16
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV247
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 35
• Adnapsc2 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki34
• blackmanpl 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur278
• WagamamaTV252
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 51m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 51m
Stellar Fest
16h 51m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.