• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:59
CEST 22:59
KST 05:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6853 users

The Injuries Thread - Page 42

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 40 41 42 43 44 58 Next
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
April 10 2013 03:50 GMT
#821
On April 10 2013 12:40 LosingID8 wrote:
i've never seen this thread before but it's really interesting to me as a podiatry student, since my studies deal with the lower extremity.

if anyone has foot/ankle injury stories i'd love to hear them.

when i learn more in my sports med and functional orthopedics courses (next year) i'll try and post more in here. at the moment i know all the anatomy along with some of the more basic injuries of the spine, hip, knee, ankle, and foot... but i am by no means an expert yet.

Meh, I've honestly learned more from the Internet than I have from school about injuries.... as sad to say that is.

But Internet study can vastly speed up your ability to become good at what you do if you can see the patterns earlier and sooner
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
April 10 2013 03:55 GMT
#822
yeah i figure this thread will be a good learning experience for me. my main issue is that i have zero clinic experience so far, since i start that in july. so none of my knowledge is based on practical experience, rather just cases that i've read about. i am actually pretty pleased with the education i'm getting though... i feel like my knowledge base is pretty solid considering my lack of exposure to real patients.
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
iokke
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1179 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-10 04:13:07
April 10 2013 04:04 GMT
#823
On April 10 2013 12:48 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2013 07:21 iokke wrote:
He did give me a list of exercises to do but i stopped too soon, I'll resume doing them and see him a few more times. Apparently I was supposed to do them for months. Only odd thing is that exercises are exactly the same for me and my wife


Er, that's highly suspicious....

I would consider seeing a different professional..


Yeah both of us found that odd too because her posture is way better then mine and she had a brother who used to adjust her back often, while I've never seen a chiropractor till last year.
Unfortunately other two people I saw where as follows:
1 - told me to come back 4 times a week for 3-5 weeks at $60 per visit. On my first visit he literally only pressed his knuckle against my spine, popped my back once, and told me to come see him tomorrow. yeah.. no
2 - i liked this guy, he popped every bone imaginable, spend quite a bit of time with me, and also told me my legs are uneven due to my pelvis, but told me not to come see him till pain comes back (used to have lower back pain). Maybe I should see this guy again and tell him I want a permanent solution because he seemed honest
Crop circles are Chuck Norris' way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie the f*** down. rerereredit.. I never get it right the 1st time
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
April 10 2013 04:52 GMT
#824
On April 10 2013 13:04 iokke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2013 12:48 eshlow wrote:
On April 10 2013 07:21 iokke wrote:
He did give me a list of exercises to do but i stopped too soon, I'll resume doing them and see him a few more times. Apparently I was supposed to do them for months. Only odd thing is that exercises are exactly the same for me and my wife


Er, that's highly suspicious....

I would consider seeing a different professional..


Yeah both of us found that odd too because her posture is way better then mine and she had a brother who used to adjust her back often, while I've never seen a chiropractor till last year.
Unfortunately other two people I saw where as follows:
1 - told me to come back 4 times a week for 3-5 weeks at $60 per visit. On my first visit he literally only pressed his knuckle against my spine, popped my back once, and told me to come see him tomorrow. yeah.. no
2 - i liked this guy, he popped every bone imaginable, spend quite a bit of time with me, and also told me my legs are uneven due to my pelvis, but told me not to come see him till pain comes back (used to have lower back pain). Maybe I should see this guy again and tell him I want a permanent solution because he seemed honest


Sounds like some shady chiros in your area. NOt all of them are like that though.

PT might be a better option if you can find a good one.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-10 12:26:14
April 10 2013 12:26 GMT
#825
Follow up with PT this morning. Haven't experienced a lot of improvement so far. Added a prone leg extension exercise I think, raising each leg with a pillow under my hips. Ultrasound again. Still an inflammation issue it seems since my legs are still even.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
April 11 2013 00:55 GMT
#826
On April 10 2013 21:26 mordek wrote:
Follow up with PT this morning. Haven't experienced a lot of improvement so far. Added a prone leg extension exercise I think, raising each leg with a pillow under my hips. Ultrasound again. Still an inflammation issue it seems since my legs are still even.


If you've had it for a quite a while I would give it some time. You should definitely start to see some results by the 4-5th session though at minimum
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
April 11 2013 10:05 GMT
#827
So it's been two weeks after knee surgery. I am still not any better, but can't tell if that is just surgery after effects. Anyway still can't walk or basically do anything that stresses my leg.

I still want to start physical therapy now. I live in a city with the highest health professional rate in the country so there is literally hundreds to choose from.

Any advice on what to look for specifically in a PT office?
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
April 11 2013 23:20 GMT
#828
On April 11 2013 19:05 zatic wrote:
So it's been two weeks after knee surgery. I am still not any better, but can't tell if that is just surgery after effects. Anyway still can't walk or basically do anything that stresses my leg.

I still want to start physical therapy now. I live in a city with the highest health professional rate in the country so there is literally hundreds to choose from.

Any advice on what to look for specifically in a PT office?


Find one that specializes in athletes... if you want to get back to athletic endeavors which I assume you do.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Ero-Sennin
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States756 Posts
April 14 2013 22:51 GMT
#829
And once you're there, don't be intimidated to ask questions. Be involved and inquire about the expected short term and long term goals of your physical therapy.
Luck makes talent look like genius.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
April 16 2013 13:42 GMT
#830
First PT session today, gave me some hope. It appears I was just too scared to really put any stress on my knee and it was more under- than overused. At least biking, unassisted walking, assisted squats worked better than expected after a while.

Fun story: So the PT guy asked me to try assisted squats. Told me to just go ahead and try, and he would spot and fix mistakes. After one squat he stands there literally with his mouth open: "What kind of sport do you do again? That was perfect!" Yay.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
April 16 2013 13:48 GMT
#831
That's great to hear Zatic! What a compliment. Keep up the compliance
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
April 16 2013 16:42 GMT
#832
On April 16 2013 22:42 zatic wrote:
First PT session today, gave me some hope. It appears I was just too scared to really put any stress on my knee and it was more under- than overused. At least biking, unassisted walking, assisted squats worked better than expected after a while.

Fun story: So the PT guy asked me to try assisted squats. Told me to just go ahead and try, and he would spot and fix mistakes. After one squat he stands there literally with his mouth open: "What kind of sport do you do again? That was perfect!" Yay.


Sounds like you have a good PT then.... so far. :p
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
randommuch
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States370 Posts
April 16 2013 16:46 GMT
#833
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

This is mainly my right knee that's bothering me.

I get this pain after running for a long period of time (3 miles or more) and if I really overwork myself the pain comes back when I'm walking down stairs. Not going up them though.

The red lines are basically where I feel the pain work it's way either up or down. It's a very sharp pain, almost like two needles are being stuck into either side of my knee at the same time.

Starts off as this little pressure I feel in my knee (this is when I generally stop myself) but if I continue to run I've had it climb up to where my knee completely gives out and I have a mean limp for a day. The pain is definitely not consistent; If I'm not doing any kind of exercise it feels perfectly normal.

Ranges from around 2-8

I skateboard a lot, or should say I used to. I know my knees are pretty beat up from the constant impact of stairs and what not but pain like this hadn't been hittin me before. When the pain comes around though, it only lasts anywhere from 10-15 min to a day depending on how hard I'm working out.

The pain seems to come from underneath my kneecap; if I'm pushing on the sides of me knees decently hard while the pain's there it relieves a lot of it.

Whenever it gets too bad I take a break from running and switch over to a bike until I feel comfortable running again. It does the trick until I start my jogging routine and will hold out until I decide to run more than a mile or two.

Nothing swells during this. A few years back while skating, a large bump would swell up under each of my knee caps if I was going pretty hard but it stopped after I took a month for recovery. Not sure if this is related to it.

For the most part, it just feels like there's some sort of pressure under my kneecap. Until I really start working it for awhile it will stay like this then gradually work towards that sharp pain. I'm considering just maybe forgetting about running altogether but it seems a little farfetched to me to tell myself I can't run.

Currently I do ~1 hour of cardio a day. I mix it up between spin bikes and running and I've been leaning more on the bike side since this has happened. Just so freakin boring when I'm used to spending half my time there running. I stretch very well too; do it before and after I work out.

My posture's awesome. I have a more serious shoulder injury that forces me to always be thinking about my posture so I don't think that has something to do with it.

Any ideas on how to help this would be awesome. Currently icing it ~20 min after my workouts as well even when it's not bothering me just because I feel like it's a good thing to do lol.

Also, this same knee, if while flexing my leg I pull my knee up into a 90 degree captain morgans pose, it pops really loud.
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." Genesis 1:29
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
April 16 2013 19:14 GMT
#834
On April 17 2013 01:46 randommuch wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

This is mainly my right knee that's bothering me.

I get this pain after running for a long period of time (3 miles or more) and if I really overwork myself the pain comes back when I'm walking down stairs. Not going up them though.

The red lines are basically where I feel the pain work it's way either up or down. It's a very sharp pain, almost like two needles are being stuck into either side of my knee at the same time.

Starts off as this little pressure I feel in my knee (this is when I generally stop myself) but if I continue to run I've had it climb up to where my knee completely gives out and I have a mean limp for a day. The pain is definitely not consistent; If I'm not doing any kind of exercise it feels perfectly normal.

+ Show Spoiler +
Ranges from around 2-8

I skateboard a lot, or should say I used to. I know my knees are pretty beat up from the constant impact of stairs and what not but pain like this hadn't been hittin me before. When the pain comes around though, it only lasts anywhere from 10-15 min to a day depending on how hard I'm working out.

The pain seems to come from underneath my kneecap; if I'm pushing on the sides of me knees decently hard while the pain's there it relieves a lot of it.

Whenever it gets too bad I take a break from running and switch over to a bike until I feel comfortable running again. It does the trick until I start my jogging routine and will hold out until I decide to run more than a mile or two.

Nothing swells during this. A few years back while skating, a large bump would swell up under each of my knee caps if I was going pretty hard but it stopped after I took a month for recovery. Not sure if this is related to it.

For the most part, it just feels like there's some sort of pressure under my kneecap. Until I really start working it for awhile it will stay like this then gradually work towards that sharp pain. I'm considering just maybe forgetting about running altogether but it seems a little farfetched to me to tell myself I can't run.

Currently I do ~1 hour of cardio a day. I mix it up between spin bikes and running and I've been leaning more on the bike side since this has happened. Just so freakin boring when I'm used to spending half my time there running. I stretch very well too; do it before and after I work out.

My posture's awesome. I have a more serious shoulder injury that forces me to always be thinking about my posture so I don't think that has something to do with it.

Any ideas on how to help this would be awesome. Currently icing it ~20 min after my workouts as well even when it's not bothering me just because I feel like it's a good thing to do lol.

Also, this same knee, if while flexing my leg I pull my knee up into a 90 degree captain morgans pose, it pops really loud.


Sounds like patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS) although the popping in the knee concerns me and especially with the knee giving out. That may be more indicative of something more serious like meniscus.

What I would suggest is getting yourself to an orthopedic doctor to have it evaluated so at least you know what you're dealing with. From there you can do PT or attempt to rehab it by yourself or whatever.... but an accurate diagnosis would be exceptionally useful in this case.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
April 18 2013 19:11 GMT
#835
On April 10 2013 21:26 mordek wrote:
Follow up with PT this morning. Haven't experienced a lot of improvement so far. Added a prone leg extension exercise I think, raising each leg with a pillow under my hips. Ultrasound again. Still an inflammation issue it seems since my legs are still even.

3rd session. Pain level still hovering around a 2, discomfort sitting, lying in certain positions, etc still. Added next stage of pelvic tilt exercise in addition to initial. Also added... a bird-dog minus the bird? Just leg lol. Another 8 min of ultrasound but switched to continuous wave instead of pulsed. I'm trying to be wary of a placebo effect but I feel like its made a difference so far. Less continuous achy and only very specific position actions get pain so there's hope.
Really trying to focus on good posture during the workday. I've been able to pop my hip really frequently though. Placing feet parallel and "torquing" my legs as I extend my hips. Should I avoid doing this or does it help? I'm worried I'm causing unnecessary irritation if I do this but it feels "right" when I do it.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-19 15:13:45
April 19 2013 15:13 GMT
#836
On April 19 2013 04:11 mordek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2013 21:26 mordek wrote:
Follow up with PT this morning. Haven't experienced a lot of improvement so far. Added a prone leg extension exercise I think, raising each leg with a pillow under my hips. Ultrasound again. Still an inflammation issue it seems since my legs are still even.

3rd session. Pain level still hovering around a 2, discomfort sitting, lying in certain positions, etc still. Added next stage of pelvic tilt exercise in addition to initial. Also added... a bird-dog minus the bird? Just leg lol. Another 8 min of ultrasound but switched to continuous wave instead of pulsed. I'm trying to be wary of a placebo effect but I feel like its made a difference so far. Less continuous achy and only very specific position actions get pain so there's hope.
Really trying to focus on good posture during the workday. I've been able to pop my hip really frequently though. Placing feet parallel and "torquing" my legs as I extend my hips. Should I avoid doing this or does it help? I'm worried I'm causing unnecessary irritation if I do this but it feels "right" when I do it.


I wouldn't be wary of the placebo effect... it works so utilize it as much as possible tbh.

And yes, I wouldn't keep popping the hip. That generally is not a good idea because it's going to undo what the exercises do by making it more mobile
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
shawster
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada2485 Posts
April 26 2013 02:48 GMT
#837
apologies if there is a link somewhere about my injury, but after countless searches i can't find any resources about my injury.

questionnaire and picture below :

+ Show Spoiler +
1. http://i.imgur.com/Hb0WrNg.jpg?1

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.

- Whenever I extend my wrist back after a certain point of flexibility (past 90 degrees around) it starts to hurt. If I put pressure on a bent wrist it hurts. For example, I can't even get into push up position with the hand at a 90degree angle to the forearm because of the pain let alone attempt to due a push-up, but knuckle push-ups are fine. Same goes for pressing exercises, bent wrist hurts bad but straight wrist is fine. Pulling exercises are fine.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

- Sharp pain, but also a slight burning sensation. located at the location of the bump on my wrist indicated on the picture

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.

- enough pain so that I can't put any weight on a wrist bent backwards. it also hurts ,around a 1 or a 2, when i flick my wrist forward like shooting a basketball.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?

-acute. Happened a week or two ago after my wrist got hyperextended due to the bar falling back while doing squats. there has been minimal improvement, almost none.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

-yes. Since I've gotten the injury i've trained, but i've tried to adjust my wrist so that it is more straight while pressing but it still hurts a bit.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.

The pain is right beneath the outer-level, i guess. It isn't deep, but it isn't superficial. I'd say 1/4 of the way through the thickness of my wrist is where the pain is.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

-I've iced the wrist a little, but I haven't done anything else because i've never really experienced this kind of injury. Not much improvement from the ice.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?

-Nothing really seems to help other than avoiding extending my wrist. The pain is most definitely not constant, as long as I don't put anything more than a couple pounds of pressure on a enough bent wrist it doesn't hurt at all.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

-There's a bump on my wrist at the location specified in the picture(that's where the pain is as well). There doesn't seem to be fluid in the bump, but it's like theres some mass in it. I'm not too sure what it is, and it's quite weird.Pressing on it lightly is fine but if i put some weight on it hurts just like when i bend my wrist back.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

-Feels fine at all times except when wrist is bent and pressure is applied.

12. Any previous injury history?

I used to have a bump at the same location on my wrist a month ago, however, the pain was much less. I think it was caused by the same thing


15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

The bump seems really awkward. There doesn't seem to be a mention of having a wrist bump due to sports injury anywhere around the internet.



Thanks.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
April 26 2013 14:50 GMT
#838
On April 26 2013 11:48 shawster wrote:
apologies if there is a link somewhere about my injury, but after countless searches i can't find any resources about my injury.

questionnaire and picture below :

+ Show Spoiler +
1. http://i.imgur.com/Hb0WrNg.jpg?1

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.

- Whenever I extend my wrist back after a certain point of flexibility (past 90 degrees around) it starts to hurt. If I put pressure on a bent wrist it hurts. For example, I can't even get into push up position with the hand at a 90degree angle to the forearm because of the pain let alone attempt to due a push-up, but knuckle push-ups are fine. Same goes for pressing exercises, bent wrist hurts bad but straight wrist is fine. Pulling exercises are fine.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

- Sharp pain, but also a slight burning sensation. located at the location of the bump on my wrist indicated on the picture

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.

- enough pain so that I can't put any weight on a wrist bent backwards. it also hurts ,around a 1 or a 2, when i flick my wrist forward like shooting a basketball.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?

-acute. Happened a week or two ago after my wrist got hyperextended due to the bar falling back while doing squats. there has been minimal improvement, almost none.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

-yes. Since I've gotten the injury i've trained, but i've tried to adjust my wrist so that it is more straight while pressing but it still hurts a bit.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.

The pain is right beneath the outer-level, i guess. It isn't deep, but it isn't superficial. I'd say 1/4 of the way through the thickness of my wrist is where the pain is.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

-I've iced the wrist a little, but I haven't done anything else because i've never really experienced this kind of injury. Not much improvement from the ice.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?

-Nothing really seems to help other than avoiding extending my wrist. The pain is most definitely not constant, as long as I don't put anything more than a couple pounds of pressure on a enough bent wrist it doesn't hurt at all.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

-There's a bump on my wrist at the location specified in the picture(that's where the pain is as well). There doesn't seem to be fluid in the bump, but it's like theres some mass in it. I'm not too sure what it is, and it's quite weird.Pressing on it lightly is fine but if i put some weight on it hurts just like when i bend my wrist back.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

-Feels fine at all times except when wrist is bent and pressure is applied.

12. Any previous injury history?

I used to have a bump at the same location on my wrist a month ago, however, the pain was much less. I think it was caused by the same thing


15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

The bump seems really awkward. There doesn't seem to be a mention of having a wrist bump due to sports injury anywhere around the internet.



Thanks.


Hmmmm... I would suggest going to try to see a orthopedic doc to get an X-ray just to confirm that there's no broke bones. If there are none probably physical therapist with wrist mobilizations for the scaphoid to see if that would help.

You can try to do some mobilizations yourself but it really doesn't work that well by yourself.

I'm curious about the bump you're saying is there though. Might be one of the parts of the radius that sticks out.... but if it's more soft tissue in nature then it would probably be a good idea to get it checked out.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
May 03 2013 10:37 GMT
#839
hhhhh

Some good news finally. First week I was able to walk a substantial distance without crutches. Also have a more challenging PT program with lunges, squats, other leg work. It's still incredibly frustrating how slow recovery is.

Question: PT said to increase lunges and squats with weights over more depth if they feel to easy. When I asked why he argued that the meniscus (which is what I was operated on) is under maximum stress at the lowest point, which is why I should avoid going lower than 90 degree in my knee for now.
It sounds reasonable to me, anyone has a different view on this?
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-04 13:51:33
May 04 2013 13:51 GMT
#840
On May 03 2013 19:37 zatic wrote:
hhhhh

Some good news finally. First week I was able to walk a substantial distance without crutches. Also have a more challenging PT program with lunges, squats, other leg work. It's still incredibly frustrating how slow recovery is.

Question: PT said to increase lunges and squats with weights over more depth if they feel to easy. When I asked why he argued that the meniscus (which is what I was operated on) is under maximum stress at the lowest point, which is why I should avoid going lower than 90 degree in my knee for now.
It sounds reasonable to me, anyone has a different view on this?


That makes no sense biomechanically, as long as the muscles (especially the hamstrings) are firing correctly to keep the femur centered on the tibia.

When you squat the femur basically rotates on the tibia, and if the meniscus is healthy then it should keep things in line.

Same thing with the shoulders -- the rotator cuff helps keep the humerual head down and rotating correctly in the glenohumeral joint.

This may be of some use to you although it doesn't specifically talk about the meniscus it talks about the hamstrings and knee ligaments. By the same extention, meniscus as well.

http://www.apec-s.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Deep-Squats.pdf

Basically, it should be fine as long as you have the mobility for it. But I don't think it's a huge huge deal if you're not squatting full ROM at this point...

IMO it's better to up the reps of the bodyweight squat to make sure everything works correctly, especially under fatigue at higher reps. If I was doing your rehab, it would definitely add in some strength work... but I'd want to see at least 40-50 consecutive good squat reps if you could go up that high with good form on all of them.

Basically, the ability to handle your own weight is paramount to adding weight, especially when retraining movements after an injury. You don't want to build any dysfunction on top of the injury so make sure you're moving correctly with fundamental movements at high reps first. Plus the benefits of high reps is that it's good for connective tissue and blood flow.... though for meniscus since it's connective tissue you're better off sitting on the bike and cycling for a couple thousand reps for the blood flow.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Prev 1 40 41 42 43 44 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 532
JuggernautJason33
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 662
Dewaltoss 110
firebathero 92
Zeus 69
Trap 41
910 30
Bale 26
NaDa 25
Dota 2
monkeys_forever331
Counter-Strike
edward134
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS121
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4812
Liquid`Hasu2036
Other Games
summit1g5954
shahzam455
byalli448
C9.Mang0176
KnowMe134
UpATreeSC88
Chillindude29
Trikslyr24
Railgan18
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV213
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream201
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 77
• Adnapsc2 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 29
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur324
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 1m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 1m
Stellar Fest
16h 1m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.