• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:24
CEST 05:24
KST 12:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7052 users

The Injuries Thread - Page 40

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 38 39 40 41 42 58 Next
StimD
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Norway738 Posts
March 24 2013 12:18 GMT
#781
I am no longer in therapy. I've had to change PTs a couple of times because of me moving, so noone has really continually followed my rehab. I have however been cleared for weightlifting by two different PTs (after they performed a few shoulder strength exercises on me). I guess I'll just start slow and see how it feels.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
March 24 2013 12:22 GMT
#782
On March 24 2013 21:18 StimD wrote:
I am no longer in therapy. I've had to change PTs a couple of times because of me moving, so noone has really continually followed my rehab. I have however been cleared for weightlifting by two different PTs (after they performed a few shoulder strength exercises on me). I guess I'll just start slow and see how it feels.


Keep doing your home exercise program exercises and add in lifting slowly. I would definitely not do linear progression... try to add weight maybe every week or so for the first month or two, then you can ramp it up faster
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Ahzz
Profile Joined May 2007
Finland780 Posts
March 25 2013 19:56 GMT
#783
I've complained about it a few times already, and tried some fixes, but to no avail, so I'm posting it here.

For the last 3-6 weeks I've had elbow pains when doing low-bar squats. It focuses mainly on my left elbow, but I can feel it on my right as well if I squat a lot without paying it much attention. I started low-bar squatting at about 80-90 kg, and the pain started somewhere after 100kg. After I hit 122,5x3x5, I had to take one week long break because it was hurting enough that it was interferring with my other workouts and even some real life activities and sports.

Basically if I take care to not strain it much, it heals within 2 days usually after a session. But if I squat heavy 3 times a week, it will show up, and it wont go away with 2 day rest. It will keep increasing until I let it rest properly.

I have tried doing quite a bit of research already, including some fixes I've seen in the Starting strength book.
-I've tried placing the bar a little bit higher, but the next logical place where the bar sits snugly is on my TRAPS which is the high-bar squat.
-I've tried comparing my squat bar placement to what I see in pictures and videos, and it SEEMS to be the same.
-My hands are over the bar, I don't grip the bar, and my wrists are aligned with my forearm.
-I have tried alternating my grip width a little bit, but it doesn't stop the pain. More research could prove better results, but after I have painful elbow, changing from my quite narrow grip width to wider grip doesnt help.
-I haven't gotten professional advice, but I did ask a really strong dude in my gym to see if he notices anything, but all he could mention was trying wider grip.
-I try to pay lots of attention to chest up etc, and I think I hold it firm, but it doesnt help much.
-I'm quite certain I can keep my elbows up in effort to keep some weight transferring to it through that
-I use chalk etc

It should be noted, that holding the bar in the 'correct' way hurts EVEN THOUGH I'm not even holding the bar up yet! (especially after its already hurting). Basically, getting under the bar puts my elbow in pain already. It FEELS as though I'm trying to bend the bar forward with my back and arms. I noticed this since a long time ago. I thought it was just shoulder tightness, so I tried shoulder dislocations, but it doesnt really help, with what I've done anyway.

I googled for 'squat elbow problems', and I found a lot of people experiencing similar things:
http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=18329&page=1
http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=14589&page=1
http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/elbow_pain_with_squats

I do not have any sort of video recording device, and thus I don't have pictures/images, but I can probably get one within two weeks with a friend or something.

For now, I have switched to high bar squats in order to let my elbow rehab a little bit
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
March 25 2013 20:02 GMT
#784
Sounds like what happened to me. Worked through it until it hurt enough to merit a month-long break. Gave up and switched to highbar, no problems since then. Not for my arms at least, but now I'm struggling through knee pain. Ya can't win...
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Ahzz
Profile Joined May 2007
Finland780 Posts
March 26 2013 06:23 GMT
#785
Yeah, I originally switched to low-bar because of knee pain, and now I'm having elbow pain. But I will attempt to watch out while I high-bar for now.

Also considering front squats.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 26 2013 12:26 GMT
#786
I think what helped for me was really trying to push the bar down with my arms. That should take a lot of weight off.
Official Entusman #21
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
March 26 2013 18:18 GMT
#787
So I've been squatting high bar forever, but recently I've been getting a little sore in my lower back. Like 'Gee I really hope this goes away soon' kind of pain for a few weeks. Was wondering if there's anything I could do (stretches or exercises) to try and get rid of it.
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
March 26 2013 20:40 GMT
#788
Any advice on PTs in northern Indiana? I'm getting down to business and doing this. Trying to do some homework first though. Or at least advice on what to look for, for SI joint in particular.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 26 2013 23:26 GMT
#789
On March 27 2013 03:18 NeedsmoreCELLTECH wrote:
So I've been squatting high bar forever, but recently I've been getting a little sore in my lower back. Like 'Gee I really hope this goes away soon' kind of pain for a few weeks. Was wondering if there's anything I could do (stretches or exercises) to try and get rid of it.

Personally, I found that having proper posture 24/7 helps a lot. Does lying on the floor for 10-30 mins help the pain? Also, you can roll your lower back with a soft ball or something similar.
Official Entusman #21
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
March 27 2013 00:59 GMT
#790
After one month in bed / on crutches I have a knee operation tomorrow: Wish me luck! It's the first time I am hopeful in like months that I can be among the walking again some time.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 27 2013 01:17 GMT
#791
Good luck zatic! Hope you make a full recovery
Official Entusman #21
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
March 27 2013 13:05 GMT
#792
Good luck zatic, recovery sucks but it can't be much worse than crutches and pain now. Hope you heal fast
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Ahzz
Profile Joined May 2007
Finland780 Posts
March 27 2013 16:10 GMT
#793
+ Show Spoiler +

Squat form, setup, hand position etc in case anything can be said for why my elbows (especially my left) hurts after squats.
This set felt better than what I've been having before, but I stretched well the day before and before squatting (shoulder dislocations). In this one I also tried a wider grip than what I'm used to while still keeping my back tight.
Adel
Profile Joined February 2011
Belgium86 Posts
March 27 2013 16:42 GMT
#794
On March 28 2013 01:10 Ahzz wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oALqUvT9SM&feature=youtu.be

Squat form, setup, hand position etc in case anything can be said for why my elbows (especially my left) hurts after squats.
This set felt better than what I've been having before, but I stretched well the day before and before squatting (shoulder dislocations). In this one I also tried a wider grip than what I'm used to while still keeping my back tight.


You must control the downwards movement, it's supposed to be slow. If you do that quickly, you're using your knees as springs, which is damaging and your muscles don't work as well as they're supposed to.
Slow downwards movement, explosive upwards movement (well, as explosive as you can)
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 27 2013 21:51 GMT
#795
On March 28 2013 01:10 Ahzz wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oALqUvT9SM&feature=youtu.be

Squat form, setup, hand position etc in case anything can be said for why my elbows (especially my left) hurts after squats.
This set felt better than what I've been having before, but I stretched well the day before and before squatting (shoulder dislocations). In this one I also tried a wider grip than what I'm used to while still keeping my back tight.

Your stance is too narrow for low bar. If you like the shoulder-width stance, try high bar squatting. It looks like you're somewhere between high bar and low bar but it could just be the angle...
Depth needs some work.
For high bar, I like to have a full grip on the bar and squeeze the crap out of it. This will keep your upper back tight.
Before going down, try to take in a big gulp of air and tighten your abs. Look up valsalva maneuver.
Stand up straight between each rep. It should be (nearly) effortless to maintain an upright position.
Official Entusman #21
Ahzz
Profile Joined May 2007
Finland780 Posts
March 27 2013 22:07 GMT
#796
On March 28 2013 06:51 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2013 01:10 Ahzz wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oALqUvT9SM&feature=youtu.be

Squat form, setup, hand position etc in case anything can be said for why my elbows (especially my left) hurts after squats.
This set felt better than what I've been having before, but I stretched well the day before and before squatting (shoulder dislocations). In this one I also tried a wider grip than what I'm used to while still keeping my back tight.

Your stance is too narrow for low bar. If you like the shoulder-width stance, try high bar squatting. It looks like you're somewhere between high bar and low bar but it could just be the angle...
Depth needs some work.
For high bar, I like to have a full grip on the bar and squeeze the crap out of it. This will keep your upper back tight.
Before going down, try to take in a big gulp of air and tighten your abs. Look up valsalva maneuver.
Stand up straight between each rep. It should be (nearly) effortless to maintain an upright position.

Thanks for your input. I thought SS book told to have about shoulder width stance even in low bar though?
I will definately try to have more depth, and fix the other things. I think they are easy fixes, because I was a little bit depleted of my energy, but thats no excuse for mediocre squats.

I tried to squat low bar for this example, have I misunderstood anything, or are you telling me in case I do high-bar? (which is good advice too in case my elbow problems persist).
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 27 2013 22:13 GMT
#797
imo you can do low bar with wide stance or high bar with narrow stance. I used to low bar with narrow stance but found that switching to high bar was much more natural.
Official Entusman #21
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
March 27 2013 22:41 GMT
#798
Best of luck Zatic! Dont fuck up your rehab!
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
March 27 2013 23:23 GMT
#799
Ahzz:

If you want to avoid stress on the back, go with front squats (although tough on the knees). Hip thrusts are good for glutes, RDLs for hammies. Those are the 3 you can use to alternate stress off certain bodyparts.

I would suggest high bar squatting if low bar is aggravating... but if you can't do that you have the options above. I'd need to see a vid of the technique to see if anything is messed up.

-------------------------------------------------

NeedsmoreCELLTECH:

Are you hyperextending or rounding the back?

You want a straight neutral spine... people go overboard on them sometimes. Could be something else though... if reverse hypers help I would do them.

-------------------------------------------------

mordek:

Sorry, I don't know anyone in Indiana. :\

Ask around to who the sports teams use if you can... specially a football team. It's likely that football players will be jacked up because of tackling/impact so usually the PTs that work with them are pretty good.


-------------------------------------------------

Zatic:

Good luck sir. Keep us updated.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Ahzz
Profile Joined May 2007
Finland780 Posts
March 27 2013 23:47 GMT
#800
On March 28 2013 08:23 eshlow wrote:
Ahzz:

If you want to avoid stress on the back, go with front squats (although tough on the knees). Hip thrusts are good for glutes, RDLs for hammies. Those are the 3 you can use to alternate stress off certain bodyparts.

I would suggest high bar squatting if low bar is aggravating... but if you can't do that you have the options above. I'd need to see a vid of the technique to see if anything is messed up.
.

the vid is a few posts below, in spoilers. It'd be nice if I could keep lowbar squatting because it was going quite well. However, I now have some possible fixes and I know the option of high-bar.
Prev 1 38 39 40 41 42 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft421
RuFF_SC2 163
Nina 93
-ZergGirl 69
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2221
Bale 22
yabsab 21
Terrorterran 13
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1189
taco 332
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox673
Other Games
summit1g7851
JimRising 683
Day[9].tv529
C9.Mang0327
WinterStarcraft235
ViBE161
Maynarde146
Livibee135
Sick127
ArmadaUGS36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick956
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 15
• OhrlRock 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv529
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
7h 36m
Stellar Fest
9h 36m
The PondCast
1d 6h
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 9h
OSC
1d 20h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.