• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:06
CEST 23:06
KST 06:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8412 users

The Injuries Thread - Page 43

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 58 Next
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-04 18:54:57
May 04 2013 17:20 GMT
#841
This is not exactly an injury, but I hope you still can help me with this o:

http://i.imgur.com/plcF6uF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IQXSXpo.jpg (the vertical line is probably all wrong and should be more in line with the pattern on the floor, don't know anymore if I rotated my upper body a bit too take the pic, but I think those lines are a bit exaggerated)
http://i.imgur.com/RuRn92j.jpg

When I lie on my back (or stand or whatever) and try to raise my left knee up to the chest I have a much harder time doing so than with the right leg. It simply won't go as high up and this is kinda annoying for the squat as you can imagine (and see in the picture) because other joints like the ankle will have to compensate for the inflexibility at some point.

I don't have any pain during the squat though and trying to raise the leg up to the chest doesn't really give me a stretch either, it rather feels like something is in the way or there's increased resistance, hard to say.

It's weird because generally my left leg is much more flexible than my right leg. The leg adductors are more flexible and the glutes are pretty well stretched, too (I can externally rotate my left leg really well), but for some reason I just can't raise it as high.

Now I don't know what it is, maybe hip impingement (don't have pain tho), maybe hip imbalance, maybe hip flexor tightness (still have light lordosis, but this should affect both legs I guess). Would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out~ I'm not even sure what to stretch or what kind of stretches to do in order to fix this..

If you need any other pics to help determine what it might be just let me know and I'll do my best job to take a proper one!
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
May 05 2013 17:30 GMT
#842
On May 05 2013 02:20 decaf wrote:
This is not exactly an injury, but I hope you still can help me with this o:

http://i.imgur.com/plcF6uF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IQXSXpo.jpg (the vertical line is probably all wrong and should be more in line with the pattern on the floor, don't know anymore if I rotated my upper body a bit too take the pic, but I think those lines are a bit exaggerated)
http://i.imgur.com/RuRn92j.jpg

When I lie on my back (or stand or whatever) and try to raise my left knee up to the chest I have a much harder time doing so than with the right leg. It simply won't go as high up and this is kinda annoying for the squat as you can imagine (and see in the picture) because other joints like the ankle will have to compensate for the inflexibility at some point.

I don't have any pain during the squat though and trying to raise the leg up to the chest doesn't really give me a stretch either, it rather feels like something is in the way or there's increased resistance, hard to say.

It's weird because generally my left leg is much more flexible than my right leg. The leg adductors are more flexible and the glutes are pretty well stretched, too (I can externally rotate my left leg really well), but for some reason I just can't raise it as high.

Now I don't know what it is, maybe hip impingement (don't have pain tho), maybe hip imbalance, maybe hip flexor tightness (still have light lordosis, but this should affect both legs I guess). Would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out~ I'm not even sure what to stretch or what kind of stretches to do in order to fix this..

If you need any other pics to help determine what it might be just let me know and I'll do my best job to take a proper one!


Check your seated internal and external rotation.

See if there's any imbalances both with active and passive
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-05 20:43:08
May 05 2013 17:46 GMT
#843
On May 06 2013 02:30 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2013 02:20 decaf wrote:
This is not exactly an injury, but I hope you still can help me with this o:

http://i.imgur.com/plcF6uF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IQXSXpo.jpg (the vertical line is probably all wrong and should be more in line with the pattern on the floor, don't know anymore if I rotated my upper body a bit too take the pic, but I think those lines are a bit exaggerated)
http://i.imgur.com/RuRn92j.jpg

When I lie on my back (or stand or whatever) and try to raise my left knee up to the chest I have a much harder time doing so than with the right leg. It simply won't go as high up and this is kinda annoying for the squat as you can imagine (and see in the picture) because other joints like the ankle will have to compensate for the inflexibility at some point.

I don't have any pain during the squat though and trying to raise the leg up to the chest doesn't really give me a stretch either, it rather feels like something is in the way or there's increased resistance, hard to say.

It's weird because generally my left leg is much more flexible than my right leg. The leg adductors are more flexible and the glutes are pretty well stretched, too (I can externally rotate my left leg really well), but for some reason I just can't raise it as high.

Now I don't know what it is, maybe hip impingement (don't have pain tho), maybe hip imbalance, maybe hip flexor tightness (still have light lordosis, but this should affect both legs I guess). Would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out~ I'm not even sure what to stretch or what kind of stretches to do in order to fix this..

If you need any other pics to help determine what it might be just let me know and I'll do my best job to take a proper one!


Check your seated internal and external rotation.

See if there's any imbalances both with active and passive

Left leg:
external rotation better than on the right leg, but not by a whole lot
internal rotation much worse, like half the range of movement of the right leg. I feel like a retard trying to internally rotate that leg lol
good external rotation and bad internal rotation

Right leg:
the opposite
okay external rotation and okay internal rotation
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-05 23:13:18
May 05 2013 22:51 GMT
#844
On May 06 2013 02:46 decaf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 06 2013 02:30 eshlow wrote:
On May 05 2013 02:20 decaf wrote:
This is not exactly an injury, but I hope you still can help me with this o:

http://i.imgur.com/plcF6uF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IQXSXpo.jpg (the vertical line is probably all wrong and should be more in line with the pattern on the floor, don't know anymore if I rotated my upper body a bit too take the pic, but I think those lines are a bit exaggerated)
http://i.imgur.com/RuRn92j.jpg

When I lie on my back (or stand or whatever) and try to raise my left knee up to the chest I have a much harder time doing so than with the right leg. It simply won't go as high up and this is kinda annoying for the squat as you can imagine (and see in the picture) because other joints like the ankle will have to compensate for the inflexibility at some point.

I don't have any pain during the squat though and trying to raise the leg up to the chest doesn't really give me a stretch either, it rather feels like something is in the way or there's increased resistance, hard to say.

It's weird because generally my left leg is much more flexible than my right leg. The leg adductors are more flexible and the glutes are pretty well stretched, too (I can externally rotate my left leg really well), but for some reason I just can't raise it as high.

Now I don't know what it is, maybe hip impingement (don't have pain tho), maybe hip imbalance, maybe hip flexor tightness (still have light lordosis, but this should affect both legs I guess). Would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out~ I'm not even sure what to stretch or what kind of stretches to do in order to fix this..

If you need any other pics to help determine what it might be just let me know and I'll do my best job to take a proper one!


Check your seated internal and external rotation.

See if there's any imbalances both with active and passive

Left leg:
external rotation better than on the right leg, but not by a whole lot
internal rotation much worse, like half the range of movement of the right leg. I feel like a retard trying to internally rotate that leg lol
good external rotation and bad internal rotation

Right leg:
the opposite
okay external rotation and okay internal rotation


Yep, that's exactly what I expected.

Generally speaking, your hips will sit in a position where they are "most comfortable"... so if your internal rotation is really bad on the left leg that will tend to make it sit further out like it does in the photos you posted as well as make it harder to lift as the iliopsoas also internally rotates the leg. Can't internally rotate much then it will be harder to lift as the external rotators will resist as you lift it.

I would suggest some specific internal rotation stretching for both legs... Left more than right obviously. And then work on active as well in the seated position as well as standing.

ONce it gets more equalized it should start to equalize the bottom position in the squat as well.


Also, you may have to retrain your squat movement pattern if its been off all of this time.... that could take a while.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
May 06 2013 10:21 GMT
#845
Alrighty then, thanks a bunch :3

Would have never guessed internal rotation was a problem, I mean I rarely ever internally rotate my legs, whereas external rotation is quite useful to sit comfortably. My closest guess woud have been imbalanced core strength, but it would have surprised me tbh, since I don't do any uni lateral exercises, but I squat, deadlift, press, chin up etc and all of those work the core.

I hope my squat form is not too engrained into my nervous system, I guess once I have sufficient mobility I'll up the volume to at least 100 squats per session - I squat 3 times a week anyway (I might even increase it to 5-6 times a week in a couple of months). But it'll take a couple of months to fix this I suppose. Thanks~

On the last note; what do you mean by
work on active
?
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
May 06 2013 13:58 GMT
#846
On May 06 2013 19:21 decaf wrote:
Alrighty then, thanks a bunch :3

Would have never guessed internal rotation was a problem, I mean I rarely ever internally rotate my legs, whereas external rotation is quite useful to sit comfortably. My closest guess woud have been imbalanced core strength, but it would have surprised me tbh, since I don't do any uni lateral exercises, but I squat, deadlift, press, chin up etc and all of those work the core.

I hope my squat form is not too engrained into my nervous system, I guess once I have sufficient mobility I'll up the volume to at least 100 squats per session - I squat 3 times a week anyway (I might even increase it to 5-6 times a week in a couple of months). But it'll take a couple of months to fix this I suppose. Thanks~

On the last note; what do you mean by
Show nested quote +
work on active
?


Basically, passively stretch internal rotation

And then actively work it like bringing it up while sitting

Also, if you have bands or ankle weights where you can add resistance lying down or standing up and doing it that's good too
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
May 06 2013 15:59 GMT
#847
Aight, thanks a lot, mate <3

Really fortunate we have people like you on this forum~ Looking forward to the day I can squat like an infant again, monkey style it is
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
May 07 2013 13:28 GMT
#848
Went out for a run today, finished and walked out to meet my friend. Noticed a little discomfort towards the top of the anterior thigh. Not terrible, but enough I probably wouldn't want to run on it.

Went to hop up a few inches to sit on a fences and my calf cramped like a mofo. We are talking like 9-10/10 pain scale, writhing on the ground almost screaming. 6 hours later and that has mostly subsided, but the other pain is still there. BAD.

It is uncomfortable to walk, hurting right as I land on my foot, and right as I begin to push off. After that raising the leg doesn't seem to be a huge problem. No real stretching or palpitation seems to cause problems. External and internal rotation by themselves are not a problem, nor is adduction. If I were to lift or vigorously shake the leg around randomly in the air there is mild replication of the discomfort.

I can induce moderate-strong pain lying in bed if I lay supine and abduct + light downward pressure into the bed to create resistance, and this results in pain on outside and top of the thigh/anterior/lateral hip, and some light, possibly referred pain can be felt near adductors right as the tension is released. Doing the same thing, but with adduction causes minimal to no pain. Straight adduction or abduction, like on a machine in the gym does not seem to cause the same pain.

I really have no idea what is going on.

EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
May 07 2013 13:43 GMT
#849
On May 04 2013 22:51 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 03 2013 19:37 zatic wrote:
hhhhh

Some good news finally. First week I was able to walk a substantial distance without crutches. Also have a more challenging PT program with lunges, squats, other leg work. It's still incredibly frustrating how slow recovery is.

Question: PT said to increase lunges and squats with weights over more depth if they feel to easy. When I asked why he argued that the meniscus (which is what I was operated on) is under maximum stress at the lowest point, which is why I should avoid going lower than 90 degree in my knee for now.
It sounds reasonable to me, anyone has a different view on this?


That makes no sense biomechanically, as long as the muscles (especially the hamstrings) are firing correctly to keep the femur centered on the tibia.

When you squat the femur basically rotates on the tibia, and if the meniscus is healthy then it should keep things in line.

Basically, the ability to handle your own weight is paramount to adding weight, especially when retraining movements after an injury. You don't want to build any dysfunction on top of the injury so make sure you're moving correctly with fundamental movements at high reps first. Plus the benefits of high reps is that it's good for connective tissue and blood flow.... though for meniscus since it's connective tissue you're better off sitting on the bike and cycling for a couple thousand reps for the blood flow.

Thanks for the advice. Just to make sure: You are saying "if the meniscus is healthy" - well the meniscus is what has been operated on so it is not exactly healthy. I just really want to make sure.

In terms of squats as of right now I can do just 3, so yeah I am definitely working on more reps first. I just really want to make sure I am not making anything worse by going full ROM (flexibility is back there by now).

I am cycling on low resistance since this week to help circulation.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
May 08 2013 00:25 GMT
#850
On May 07 2013 22:28 L_Master wrote:
Went out for a run today, finished and walked out to meet my friend. Noticed a little discomfort towards the top of the anterior thigh. Not terrible, but enough I probably wouldn't want to run on it.

Went to hop up a few inches to sit on a fences and my calf cramped like a mofo. We are talking like 9-10/10 pain scale, writhing on the ground almost screaming. 6 hours later and that has mostly subsided, but the other pain is still there. BAD.

It is uncomfortable to walk, hurting right as I land on my foot, and right as I begin to push off. After that raising the leg doesn't seem to be a huge problem. No real stretching or palpitation seems to cause problems. External and internal rotation by themselves are not a problem, nor is adduction. If I were to lift or vigorously shake the leg around randomly in the air there is mild replication of the discomfort.

I can induce moderate-strong pain lying in bed if I lay supine and abduct + light downward pressure into the bed to create resistance, and this results in pain on outside and top of the thigh/anterior/lateral hip, and some light, possibly referred pain can be felt near adductors right as the tension is released. Doing the same thing, but with adduction causes minimal to no pain. Straight adduction or abduction, like on a machine in the gym does not seem to cause the same pain.

I really have no idea what is going on.



Me neither.... I don't have enough details but it seems like your hip joint got thrown out of whack to some sort.

I'd get yourself to an orthopedic doctor or preferably a physical therapist if you can
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
May 08 2013 00:26 GMT
#851
On May 07 2013 22:43 zatic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2013 22:51 eshlow wrote:
On May 03 2013 19:37 zatic wrote:
hhhhh

Some good news finally. First week I was able to walk a substantial distance without crutches. Also have a more challenging PT program with lunges, squats, other leg work. It's still incredibly frustrating how slow recovery is.

Question: PT said to increase lunges and squats with weights over more depth if they feel to easy. When I asked why he argued that the meniscus (which is what I was operated on) is under maximum stress at the lowest point, which is why I should avoid going lower than 90 degree in my knee for now.
It sounds reasonable to me, anyone has a different view on this?


That makes no sense biomechanically, as long as the muscles (especially the hamstrings) are firing correctly to keep the femur centered on the tibia.

When you squat the femur basically rotates on the tibia, and if the meniscus is healthy then it should keep things in line.

Basically, the ability to handle your own weight is paramount to adding weight, especially when retraining movements after an injury. You don't want to build any dysfunction on top of the injury so make sure you're moving correctly with fundamental movements at high reps first. Plus the benefits of high reps is that it's good for connective tissue and blood flow.... though for meniscus since it's connective tissue you're better off sitting on the bike and cycling for a couple thousand reps for the blood flow.

Thanks for the advice. Just to make sure: You are saying "if the meniscus is healthy" - well the meniscus is what has been operated on so it is not exactly healthy. I just really want to make sure.

In terms of squats as of right now I can do just 3, so yeah I am definitely working on more reps first. I just really want to make sure I am not making anything worse by going full ROM (flexibility is back there by now).

I am cycling on low resistance since this week to help circulation.


I meant if it was repaired and is working fine.

As long as going full ROM doesn't hurt it at all either in the moment and for a couple days after it should be fine. You can always limited the ROM for now though according to your PT's advice, and use the lunges to work on depth and get the hamstring balance work. So it's not a big deal
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
May 08 2013 00:53 GMT
#852
On May 08 2013 09:25 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2013 22:28 L_Master wrote:
Went out for a run today, finished and walked out to meet my friend. Noticed a little discomfort towards the top of the anterior thigh. Not terrible, but enough I probably wouldn't want to run on it.

Went to hop up a few inches to sit on a fences and my calf cramped like a mofo. We are talking like 9-10/10 pain scale, writhing on the ground almost screaming. 6 hours later and that has mostly subsided, but the other pain is still there. BAD.

It is uncomfortable to walk, hurting right as I land on my foot, and right as I begin to push off. After that raising the leg doesn't seem to be a huge problem. No real stretching or palpitation seems to cause problems. External and internal rotation by themselves are not a problem, nor is adduction. If I were to lift or vigorously shake the leg around randomly in the air there is mild replication of the discomfort.

I can induce moderate-strong pain lying in bed if I lay supine and abduct + light downward pressure into the bed to create resistance, and this results in pain on outside and top of the thigh/anterior/lateral hip, and some light, possibly referred pain can be felt near adductors right as the tension is released. Doing the same thing, but with adduction causes minimal to no pain. Straight adduction or abduction, like on a machine in the gym does not seem to cause the same pain.

I really have no idea what is going on.



Me neither.... I don't have enough details but it seems like your hip joint got thrown out of whack to some sort.

I'd get yourself to an orthopedic doctor or preferably a physical therapist if you can
\

This is what I fear as well. Unfortunately the hip is a bitch to diagnose, and an alarming number of hip problems are things that can require surgery.

Guess we'll have to see what the docs say.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
May 08 2013 00:57 GMT
#853
On May 08 2013 09:53 L_Master wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 08 2013 09:25 eshlow wrote:
On May 07 2013 22:28 L_Master wrote:
Went out for a run today, finished and walked out to meet my friend. Noticed a little discomfort towards the top of the anterior thigh. Not terrible, but enough I probably wouldn't want to run on it.

Went to hop up a few inches to sit on a fences and my calf cramped like a mofo. We are talking like 9-10/10 pain scale, writhing on the ground almost screaming. 6 hours later and that has mostly subsided, but the other pain is still there. BAD.

It is uncomfortable to walk, hurting right as I land on my foot, and right as I begin to push off. After that raising the leg doesn't seem to be a huge problem. No real stretching or palpitation seems to cause problems. External and internal rotation by themselves are not a problem, nor is adduction. If I were to lift or vigorously shake the leg around randomly in the air there is mild replication of the discomfort.

I can induce moderate-strong pain lying in bed if I lay supine and abduct + light downward pressure into the bed to create resistance, and this results in pain on outside and top of the thigh/anterior/lateral hip, and some light, possibly referred pain can be felt near adductors right as the tension is released. Doing the same thing, but with adduction causes minimal to no pain. Straight adduction or abduction, like on a machine in the gym does not seem to cause the same pain.

I really have no idea what is going on.



Me neither.... I don't have enough details but it seems like your hip joint got thrown out of whack to some sort.

I'd get yourself to an orthopedic doctor or preferably a physical therapist if you can
\

This is what I fear as well. Unfortunately the hip is a bitch to diagnose, and an alarming number of hip problems are things that can require surgery.

Guess we'll have to see what the docs say.


Yeah, typically anterior thigh related pain is referred back to the hip or it could be iliopsoas related....

Yeah, best to get that checked out since there's a lot of stuff going on at the hip. It's much less contained unlike the shoulder and has more stuff running through that area that can affect it.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
May 08 2013 05:06 GMT
#854
On May 08 2013 09:57 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 08 2013 09:53 L_Master wrote:
On May 08 2013 09:25 eshlow wrote:
On May 07 2013 22:28 L_Master wrote:
Went out for a run today, finished and walked out to meet my friend. Noticed a little discomfort towards the top of the anterior thigh. Not terrible, but enough I probably wouldn't want to run on it.

Went to hop up a few inches to sit on a fences and my calf cramped like a mofo. We are talking like 9-10/10 pain scale, writhing on the ground almost screaming. 6 hours later and that has mostly subsided, but the other pain is still there. BAD.

It is uncomfortable to walk, hurting right as I land on my foot, and right as I begin to push off. After that raising the leg doesn't seem to be a huge problem. No real stretching or palpitation seems to cause problems. External and internal rotation by themselves are not a problem, nor is adduction. If I were to lift or vigorously shake the leg around randomly in the air there is mild replication of the discomfort.

I can induce moderate-strong pain lying in bed if I lay supine and abduct + light downward pressure into the bed to create resistance, and this results in pain on outside and top of the thigh/anterior/lateral hip, and some light, possibly referred pain can be felt near adductors right as the tension is released. Doing the same thing, but with adduction causes minimal to no pain. Straight adduction or abduction, like on a machine in the gym does not seem to cause the same pain.

I really have no idea what is going on.



Me neither.... I don't have enough details but it seems like your hip joint got thrown out of whack to some sort.

I'd get yourself to an orthopedic doctor or preferably a physical therapist if you can
\

This is what I fear as well. Unfortunately the hip is a bitch to diagnose, and an alarming number of hip problems are things that can require surgery.

Guess we'll have to see what the docs say.


Yeah, typically anterior thigh related pain is referred back to the hip or it could be iliopsoas related....

Yeah, best to get that checked out since there's a lot of stuff going on at the hip. It's much less contained unlike the shoulder and has more stuff running through that area that can affect it.


It's definitely worth nothing I have had groin pain for about 6 months leading up to this. I could never seem to identify a muscle or tendon that was directly painful though, and 6 months is a pretty long time for a strain to heal, even if I probably re-aggravated it once or twice in the first month or two trying to come back too fast.

Tests like FABER and FADIR don't seem to produce positive results though, which makes something like FAI seem less likely. The only things I can seem to find that reproduce the pain/discomfort are what I described earlier (supine abduction + downward force/hamstring contraction/hip extension against resistance) running (especially higher velocity), and some discomfort if I were to grab the handles on the stairs or grab a poll and try to swing aggressively around in a clockwise direction. One other oddity is that adduction against resistance is fine, with one exception, and that is if I were to put both my knees directly together and very forcefully adduct, which can cause a sharp pain around common insertion of the adductor tendons. If I put a soccer ball or something between the legs I wouldn't get a pain though.

That's all the information I can possible think to give.

In any event, going to schedule an appointment with the GP tomorrow, and push for an appointment with orthopedic specialist and/or physical therapist unless he comes up with some clear, obvious diagnoses.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
May 08 2013 05:33 GMT
#855
On May 07 2013 00:59 decaf wrote:
Aight, thanks a lot, mate <3

Really fortunate we have people like you on this forum~ Looking forward to the day I can squat like an infant again, monkey style it is


what stretches are you doing to help with your internal/external rotation imbalances? I don't think I'm as bad as you are, but there are definitely some imbalances
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
May 08 2013 08:45 GMT
#856
On May 08 2013 09:26 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2013 22:43 zatic wrote:
On May 04 2013 22:51 eshlow wrote:
On May 03 2013 19:37 zatic wrote:
hhhhh

Some good news finally. First week I was able to walk a substantial distance without crutches. Also have a more challenging PT program with lunges, squats, other leg work. It's still incredibly frustrating how slow recovery is.

Question: PT said to increase lunges and squats with weights over more depth if they feel to easy. When I asked why he argued that the meniscus (which is what I was operated on) is under maximum stress at the lowest point, which is why I should avoid going lower than 90 degree in my knee for now.
It sounds reasonable to me, anyone has a different view on this?


That makes no sense biomechanically, as long as the muscles (especially the hamstrings) are firing correctly to keep the femur centered on the tibia.

When you squat the femur basically rotates on the tibia, and if the meniscus is healthy then it should keep things in line.

Basically, the ability to handle your own weight is paramount to adding weight, especially when retraining movements after an injury. You don't want to build any dysfunction on top of the injury so make sure you're moving correctly with fundamental movements at high reps first. Plus the benefits of high reps is that it's good for connective tissue and blood flow.... though for meniscus since it's connective tissue you're better off sitting on the bike and cycling for a couple thousand reps for the blood flow.

Thanks for the advice. Just to make sure: You are saying "if the meniscus is healthy" - well the meniscus is what has been operated on so it is not exactly healthy. I just really want to make sure.

In terms of squats as of right now I can do just 3, so yeah I am definitely working on more reps first. I just really want to make sure I am not making anything worse by going full ROM (flexibility is back there by now).

I am cycling on low resistance since this week to help circulation.


I meant if it was repaired and is working fine.

As long as going full ROM doesn't hurt it at all either in the moment and for a couple days after it should be fine. You can always limited the ROM for now though according to your PT's advice, and use the lunges to work on depth and get the hamstring balance work. So it's not a big deal

Alright, thanks a lot!
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-08 11:43:25
May 08 2013 09:20 GMT
#857
On May 08 2013 14:33 Cambium wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2013 00:59 decaf wrote:
Aight, thanks a lot, mate <3

Really fortunate we have people like you on this forum~ Looking forward to the day I can squat like an infant again, monkey style it is


what stretches are you doing to help with your internal/external rotation imbalances? I don't think I'm as bad as you are, but there are definitely some imbalances

for internal rotation
+ Show Spoiler +


for external rotation
+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +

(hurts like fuck!)

for general mobility
+ Show Spoiler +

http://www.catalystathletics.com/media/video/section.php?sectionID=2
(good shoulder and hip mobility drills)

since you also oly lift and thus most likely split jerk
+ Show Spoiler +


Kelly star is just awesome, I love this guy. I plan on doing the whole mobilityWOD setup
http://www.mobilitywod.com/
he has like 365 consecutive videos, I'll probably do like 6 of em per day and be done with it in 2 months and see where I end up, I need one of those balls and bands first tho
Chek out his channel on youtube, sanfranciscocrossfit. I know, crossfit is gay, but Kelly is not!
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
May 08 2013 11:26 GMT
#858
Just wanted to put this here for other people to see, I guess

I haven't been eating much lately at all (89kg from 93kg i think, not sure), especially the last week or 2. Yesterday for instance I think I had like 1 meal of eggs, ham, cheese and 3 slices of bread.

The past ~week/2 I noticed my urine was always bright yellow no matter how much I was drinking, and I had headaches every so often (which I never get). Then last night when I was tired and playing DOTA2 I had an abrupt heart flutter/palpitation. There was no pain but I felt pretty dodgy all night like it might happen again (probably nerves).

Quick google search says very low carb can possibly do this to some people, and also figured that the yellow urine is a sign that I'm poorly nourished (or something like that - eating lots of meat/dairy but low carbs like tomatoes, small amount of bread with omlettes).

Anyway, time to start eating more :/
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
May 08 2013 15:22 GMT
#859
I'd get checked out by a professional if I were you. Google can't solve everything.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
May 08 2013 15:46 GMT
#860
On April 20 2013 00:13 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2013 04:11 mordek wrote:
On April 10 2013 21:26 mordek wrote:
Follow up with PT this morning. Haven't experienced a lot of improvement so far. Added a prone leg extension exercise I think, raising each leg with a pillow under my hips. Ultrasound again. Still an inflammation issue it seems since my legs are still even.

3rd session. Pain level still hovering around a 2, discomfort sitting, lying in certain positions, etc still. Added next stage of pelvic tilt exercise in addition to initial. Also added... a bird-dog minus the bird? Just leg lol. Another 8 min of ultrasound but switched to continuous wave instead of pulsed. I'm trying to be wary of a placebo effect but I feel like its made a difference so far. Less continuous achy and only very specific position actions get pain so there's hope.
Really trying to focus on good posture during the workday. I've been able to pop my hip really frequently though. Placing feet parallel and "torquing" my legs as I extend my hips. Should I avoid doing this or does it help? I'm worried I'm causing unnecessary irritation if I do this but it feels "right" when I do it.


I wouldn't be wary of the placebo effect... it works so utilize it as much as possible tbh.

And yes, I wouldn't keep popping the hip. That generally is not a good idea because it's going to undo what the exercises do by making it more mobile

5 visits and a month down with PT. Doesn't feel like much if any improvement since when I started. PT recommended one more week with specific exercises and icing each night and if there's still no improvement I should go back to the doctor and discuss another medication to possibly take me over the hump in terms of pain/inflammation while continuing my exercises. I'm bummed it hasn't improved but these things take time of course. Pain is just a constant 1-2 dull ache at the right SI joint. The little activity I've done over the past month hasn't made it flare up really, mostly just sitting when I notice it
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 500
JuggernautJason26
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 650
firebathero 88
Zeus 64
Trap 39
910 28
Dota 2
monkeys_forever330
Counter-Strike
edward324
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS123
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4757
Liquid`Hasu2036
Other Games
summit1g5896
shahzam444
byalli408
C9.Mang0168
KnowMe140
UpATreeSC89
Chillindude28
Trikslyr22
Railgan20
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV213
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream140
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 82
• Adnapsc2 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 33
• Azhi_Dahaki28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur309
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 54m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 54m
Stellar Fest
15h 54m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.