• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:53
CEST 09:53
KST 16:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8434 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 75

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 73 74 75 76 77 730 Next
Usurper
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Macedonia283 Posts
February 11 2011 23:02 GMT
#1481
I see there are some runners here, so i have a few questions. First let me describe my situation till this point. For 9 consecutive months i did nothing physically challenging and got a belly that i started to detest. So i decided to start jogging and took a better care of the food i ingest.

So here i am, two months into my almost-every-day 60 min mid-tempo jogging routine. Yesterday though, for the first time i did 7 consecutive days of running, and i started to feel some knee ache. It got even more painful when i went to college this morning, and experienced pain whenever i bended my knee (or my leg was in the air, unrestrained). Let me say, that i was feeling a mild strain on my knee during this week, but never thought it would lead to this. So anyone had a similar experience, what's the gravity of the situation, and how do you protect against these stuff?
I love humanity. It is people that i can't stand.
FyRe_DragOn
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada2057 Posts
February 11 2011 23:32 GMT
#1482
do squats (with proper form) to strengthen all the muscles surrounding the knee, and cut down on your cardio. too much cardio (5-7 days a week) can lead to repetitive stress injuries and/or overtraining. If you want to keep experiencing progress in regards to your fitness, you should consider doing some kind of weight lifting routine as well as the cardio.

Id take a couple weeks off from any kind of cardio for the moment though until the pain goes away.
aka DragOn[NaS]
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-11 23:48:34
February 11 2011 23:48 GMT
#1483
The repetitive nature of running, especially for the majority of your week can REALLY put a stress on your knees. That's especially true if you're very tall, slightly overweight, or run with poor form. DO NOT under any circumstances mess around with knees. Back in high school, I was in a similar situation to you - near the end of my junior year of Cross Country, I figured I would run through all the problems I was starting to feel in my knee (at this point, felt morel like "tightness" and the occasional soreness) - then basketball started, and I never gave it rest time. Basketball ended and it was spring time, so I was outside cutting wood and running to get ready for xc again in the fall. Never let the knee heal until after senior year of basketball. I've been to the point where you have to take the elevator instead of the stairs. I've been to people's houses, and used my arms on a railing/wall to push myself up or down the stairs, because my knee would give out. God forbid I try to jump or dance or anything - Freshman year of college, that combined with the effects of wet weather and cold would force me to miss multiple days of class in a row, because I actually couldn't walk the 200 yards from my dorm to the lecture hall. knee just wouldn't support me.

Rest it now. If it were me, I would take the week off at least, probably more... but that's considering I'm now very touchy about my knees. Use ice or heat as is appropriate, look into a new pair of running shoes, work on your running form. I recommend against a brace unless you end up finding it absolutely necessary, as they always seem to hurt the form as much as they help the knee.

hopefully, stuff like this will prevent you from getting as bad as I did. Cut down on the running overall, and do some squats. Doesn't have to be heavy, but use perfect form, get down below parallel on every rep. You will strengthen the muscles that stabilize the knee, and hopefully avoid future problems. My knee is up to being probably 80% of where it was before I started running - I expect that this is the best it will ever get, and I 100% attribute this to doing proper squats.
ModernAgeShaman
Profile Joined January 2008
Norway484 Posts
February 11 2011 23:48 GMT
#1484
On February 12 2011 04:02 eshlow wrote:
Nice you got it... yeah, it's amazing what some good coaching can do although your flexibility work probably did help in the end. You do need more than what most people have.

All types of squatting are really the same... gotta push the butt back and keep the chest up with weight moreso centered on the heels. It's just doing it is soooo hard because our movement patterns are so crap


yup, i'm not giving up my stretching routine, gonna build some flexibility for the first time in my life.
maybe overhead squats will help my normal squat technique as well. should at least be good for stabilizing muscles
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
February 12 2011 00:29 GMT
#1485
oh
just remembered something i wanted to ask
i recall cottage cheese being mentioned as a good food here, so i went and got some today. didn't quite know what i was looking for, found 1%, 2% and 4% so i just grabbed the 4% figuring it's kinda like milk. is that right?
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-12 00:48:58
February 12 2011 00:36 GMT
#1486
On February 12 2011 08:02 Usurper wrote:
I see there are some runners here, so i have a few questions. First let me describe my situation till this point. For 9 consecutive months i did nothing physically challenging and got a belly that i started to detest. So i decided to start jogging and took a better care of the food i ingest.

So here i am, two months into my almost-every-day 60 min mid-tempo jogging routine. Yesterday though, for the first time i did 7 consecutive days of running, and i started to feel some knee ache. It got even more painful when i went to college this morning, and experienced pain whenever i bended my knee (or my leg was in the air, unrestrained). Let me say, that i was feeling a mild strain on my knee during this week, but never thought it would lead to this. So anyone had a similar experience, what's the gravity of the situation, and how do you protect against these stuff?

When you run with shoes your feet while running unnaturally lands heel first where the bones in your legs including your knees absorb most of the impact causing pain around those areas. This is worsen with the fact that most people who run, run on solid concrete. When you run barefoot your feet naturally land either toe first or mid foot first where the muscles in your legs absorb the impact when your feet lands which doesn't put strain that it does when you strike heel first. The first thing you should do is actually start running less which you should do even before knowing what is actually causing the pain because pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong.

eshlow and others who know more about this could go more into detail. Just overall running with shoes is the cause of your knee pain.
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/
ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 12 2011 01:10 GMT
#1487
I wouldn't say running shoes ARE the cause of his knee pain but it certainly could be the case. Could be anything really.... I would recommend seeing an orthopedic doc or physical therapist so you can figure out what is wrong. We can discuss things from there or you can discuss them with your healthcare providers. Pain when bending knee generally tends to sound more meniscal in nature so it wouldn't be a bad idea to hit up a orthopedic doc.


On February 12 2011 09:29 JeeJee wrote:
oh
just remembered something i wanted to ask
i recall cottage cheese being mentioned as a good food here, so i went and got some today. didn't quite know what i was looking for, found 1%, 2% and 4% so i just grabbed the 4% figuring it's kinda like milk. is that right?


Yes, high fat if possible is good
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
February 12 2011 01:44 GMT
#1488
62kg Powerclean like a BOSS.


YES.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Kenshin_915
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada139 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-12 02:23:49
February 12 2011 02:08 GMT
#1489
On February 11 2011 22:06 Horrde wrote:
You just did 82 squat repetitions...

Like unknown.sam said, really I think you should just keep things simple. 3x5, and lift heavy. Especially if your doing 70kg and 80kg for multiple sets of 6 and 8, then 100kg is just around the corner.

And if your new.. and you weigh 61kg while doing the weight your posting, you might need to re-assess your squat technique.


On February 11 2011 21:26 unknown.sam wrote:
@energies: yeah what kind of job do you have that requires you to be all over the place so often?

@kenshin_915: you could reach 100kg a lot faster if you didn't do so many sets/reps. you're doing a ton of volume.

try 3x5 (3 sets of 5 reps) for your working weight. start with something like 60-65kg (you can never start too low) and work from there. i'm assuming you're at the beginner/novice level.



Okay thanks for the imput. I've been going to the gym for a couple years now but only very recently I've started focusing on squats and compound exercises as a more central part of my routine. I figured going in I ought to do weight I'm more comfortable with and do higher reps than more weight with lower, because I thought my form would be bad (it did start to show flaws at 80kg). And I don't under stand what you mean Horrde when you say "And if your new.. and you weigh 61kg while doing the weight your posting, you might need to re-assess your squat technique." I assure you that at anything less than 80kg my technique is near perfect even though I've just started focusing on squats. I'm not new to fitness at all; and I would not do the weight and reps I posted earlier unless I was confident I could do it all with near perfect form. Thanks for the imput though guys. I'll post some progress in maybe 2 days when I go again and do some 3x5's like you mentioned. My quads are pretty sore right now lol.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 12 2011 04:51 GMT
#1490
I apologize in advance to this thread (my accountability partner) for the absolutely terrible diet and things that will be ruining my body this weekend., I promise il be good till spring break after tomorrow (maybe)

@sinep, nice, coaching can help a ton. What injury did you get?
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-12 05:44:35
February 12 2011 05:44 GMT
#1491
On February 11 2011 19:31 sJarl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 11 2011 19:16 Energies wrote:
Travelling for work is being an absolute cunt to my diet and workout routine.

By Tuesday night I would have been on 8 planes and 5 hotels in 10 days.

It's surprisingly hard to get the 'Warm chicken salad' or 'Steak and veggies' with the 'Godzilla burger' on the menu.


Wow...what do you do?


I'm part of a project team at the moment, we have branches all around Australia and we are currently doing site visits and evaluations. I thought it would be fun at first, but I'm just getting sick of it now.

I recently changed to a split routine just because it's too hard to convince my training partner to do SS, he likes to workout 5-6 times a week and SS is only 3 times a week.

Although my squats and Deadlifts have stagnated slightly due to this I'm turning beastly in arms, shoulders, and chest, just the standard exercises that I never had a spotter with before.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
February 12 2011 06:16 GMT
#1492
Went rowing with my roommates (both were on the rowing team back in UG) and it was a load of fun. I think I might go with them often from now on.

I always wanted to add some cardio to aid my cutting anyway
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
February 12 2011 06:19 GMT
#1493
I come in quest of stretching help.

I've been doing various arm exercises, running ,etc.Feeling much stronger...

BUT

I am stiffer than concrete man. I can't sit down on the ground with my legs extended straight, and me sitting at a 90 degree angle. It's really bad. Any general advice for stretching my back and legs and arms? Any good stretches?
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
February 12 2011 06:38 GMT
#1494
On February 12 2011 07:25 JeeJee wrote: go in and 3x5 a weight lol.


Don't forget the warmup sets
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-12 06:58:19
February 12 2011 06:57 GMT
#1495
Did some behind the neck jerks today and went up to 90x2. Last rep was really sloppy. Afterwards i did 120x8 back squat when i was going for 10 reps. LOL Elbow felt pretty good today. I tried some power cleans and jerks at 50 with no pain.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
February 12 2011 09:25 GMT
#1496
On February 12 2011 13:51 decafchicken wrote:
I apologize in advance to this thread (my accountability partner) for the absolutely terrible diet and things that will be ruining my body this weekend., I promise il be good till spring break after tomorrow (maybe)

@sinep, nice, coaching can help a ton. What injury did you get?


details!
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
ModernAgeShaman
Profile Joined January 2008
Norway484 Posts
February 12 2011 10:25 GMT
#1497
On February 12 2011 13:51 decafchicken wrote:
I apologize in advance to this thread (my accountability partner) for the absolutely terrible diet and things that will be ruining my body this weekend., I promise il be good till spring break after tomorrow (maybe)

@sinep, nice, coaching can help a ton. What injury did you get?


I haven't been injured :O where'd you get that idea?
Donkeys
Profile Joined August 2010
Mexico308 Posts
February 12 2011 10:28 GMT
#1498
this was my first week of power cleans (been doing barbell rows). and i gotta say i feel like a fucking boss doing them. i think i got the form down pretty decently (still gonna check though) and it just feels great.

also, did 95kg DL today. I completed my set but my grip was really weak. even with hook grip i felt as if the weight was going to drop in the last couple of reps. any tips??
http://www.belowtherimyo.blogspot.com/
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
February 12 2011 10:30 GMT
#1499
On February 12 2011 19:28 Donkeys wrote:
this was my first week of power cleans (been doing barbell rows). and i gotta say i feel like a fucking boss doing them. i think i got the form down pretty decently (still gonna check though) and it just feels great.

also, did 95kg DL today. I completed my set but my grip was really weak. even with hook grip i felt as if the weight was going to drop in the last couple of reps. any tips??


It depends on how it felt. If it was slipping then ample amounts of chalk may solve the problem. If your grip is just really weak then more chalk and more deadlifts are the cure for it

High rep deads are absolute murder on your grip, so is plate pinching, heavy rows and pullups.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
ModernAgeShaman
Profile Joined January 2008
Norway484 Posts
February 12 2011 10:32 GMT
#1500
On February 12 2011 19:28 Donkeys wrote:
this was my first week of power cleans (been doing barbell rows). and i gotta say i feel like a fucking boss doing them. i think i got the form down pretty decently (still gonna check though) and it just feels great.

also, did 95kg DL today. I completed my set but my grip was really weak. even with hook grip i felt as if the weight was going to drop in the last couple of reps. any tips??


if you're holding it double overhand it may be time to switch to one overhand and one underhand grip, that helps a ton. but if you can get chalk and it helps you out, stay double overhand gripping as long as you can
Prev 1 73 74 75 76 77 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 8m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech169
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 387
Leta 286
Dewaltoss 110
sSak 63
Killer 41
Bale 34
ZergMaN 30
NotJumperer 30
Aegong 27
Shinee 14
[ Show more ]
yabsab 11
Noble 9
Sharp 1
League of Legends
JimRising 541
Reynor43
Counter-Strike
byalli0
Other Games
summit1g10567
olofmeister633
Sick196
Happy162
KnowMe24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick763
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1258
• Jankos645
• Stunt471
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 8m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3h 8m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 8m
Replay Cast
15h 8m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 3h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.